2017 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 340, 341, 342  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
As we know, the Dodgers and Twins might be coming to a resolution shortly about Dozier. But here's something interesting as well that's been reported by Jon Morosi today, via mlbtraderumors.com...

Meanwhile, the Dodgers are on the hunt for a righty set-up man. One possibility, per Morosi, is live-armed 28-year-old Neftali Feliz, who is arguably the best-remaining relief pitcher.

This is the type of move I would like. Feliz is the type of hard-throwing power reliever that we need to set up Jansen IMO. (As long as his last name is not Baez.) Feliz averaged something like 98 MPH on his fastball last season and his velocity actually increased as the season went along, and he struck out a batter per inning. He's starting to get further and further removed from his TJ surgery and is still pretty young. I feel like it could be a solid signing for the Dodgers. I just feel like power-armed guys are what you need in the postseason. They can get away with mistakes more easily and don't need to be as precise.

That would be a really solid move. We didn't have a setup guy in the playoffs after riding Blanton so hard all season.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

That would be a really solid move. We didn't have a setup guy in the playoffs after riding Blanton so hard all season.

I like it, let's make the move!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
As we know, the Dodgers and Twins might be coming to a resolution shortly about Dozier. But here's something interesting as well that's been reported by Jon Morosi today, via mlbtraderumors.com...

Meanwhile, the Dodgers are on the hunt for a righty set-up man. One possibility, per Morosi, is live-armed 28-year-old Neftali Feliz, who is arguably the best-remaining relief pitcher.

This is the type of move I would like. Feliz is the type of hard-throwing power reliever that we need to set up Jansen IMO. (As long as his last name is not Baez.) Feliz averaged something like 98 MPH on his fastball last season and his velocity actually increased as the season went along, and he struck out a batter per inning. He's starting to get further and further removed from his TJ surgery and is still pretty young. I feel like it could be a solid signing for the Dodgers. I just feel like power-armed guys are what you need in the postseason. They can get away with mistakes more easily and don't need to be as precise.

Yep. For the first time in probably over a decade, last season the bullpen carried us. They were on fumes by season's end.

I love how well Blanton was for us last season and I hate to be negative but the reality is that 2015/2016 were career years for him at the ages of 34 and 35. The Blanton for the better part of a 10-year career was a pretty awful 4-6 ERA pitcher. I don't think we should count on him to go 80 monster innings from the pen again.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

Ken Gurnick reporting that the Dodgers have signed 4 of their arbitration eligible players:

Source: Dodgers avoid arbitration with Yasmani Grandal ($5.5M), Alex Wood ($2.8M), Josh Fields ($1.05M) and Luis Avilan ($1.5M).

I think that's the last of them. Alex Wood's salary is a lot higher than I expected, especially if he's considered to be in the bullpen. That's more of a starter.

They still need to settle second base. It's interesting to read the cat and mouse game that the Twins and Dodgers are playing.
Dodgers: We're interested in Dozier. We'll give you De Leon.
Twins: Great! And how about Alvarez and Bellinger?
Dodgers: No.
Twins: OK. Alvarez and Stewart?
Twins: OK. Alvarez and Calhoun?
Dodgers: No. For the last time, Alvarez will never be in any trade for him. Geez...
< This continues with a number of prospects. >
Twins: Fine. We're gonna shop him elsewhere.
Dodgers: Go ahead.
Twins: Anyone else want him?
< Rumored teams with lesser prospects give offers. >
Twins: All teams submit your best offer. We'll decide in a week.
< Over a week goes by. >
Twins: Hey, Dodgers... ummm... can you add any other prospects to your deal?

And the game to see who blinks first continues.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject:

Rangers sign Tyson Ross. Surprised we didn't go for him seeing as he's an ex-A with injury woes. Though unlike McCarthy and Co., Ross actually has talent and has pitched well as a #2 guy.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Matthew M.
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Hey guys,

I just wanted to give a heads up for anyone who might be interested: so our Dodgers forum, The Big Blue Wrecking Crew, finally got out of the 1990s and moved over to a fresh new forum earlier this month and we'd love for you guys to check it out. We're definitely looking for new members and the more, the merrier. Give it a look:

http://thebbwc.com/
MojoRisin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

Matthew M. wrote:
Hey guys,

I just wanted to give a heads up for anyone who might be interested: so our Dodgers forum, The Big Blue Wrecking Crew, finally got out of the 1990s and moved over to a fresh new forum earlier this month and we'd love for you guys to check it out. We're definitely looking for new members and the more, the merrier. Give it a look:

you must be new to xenforo. I suggest you read around on some of the choices you made.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Rangers sign Tyson Ross. Surprised we didn't go for him seeing as he's an ex-A with injury woes. Though unlike McCarthy and Co., Ross actually has talent and has pitched well as a #2 guy.

McCarthy has the talent, but it was still a poor contract to give out. This is the type of low risk, high reward contract that I would've expected from the current Dodger regime instead of the multi-year-now-we-can't-get-rid-of-them contracts that they gave out. This deal is like the Rich Hill deal, although Ross is coming back from major injury while Hill was healthy when he was signed last season. If the team had made other risks instead of the ones that hamper them with more years, they'd be in better financial situation to have made a few more moves.

I don't get why the front office has faith in certain free agent signings but make moves because they don't have enough faith in some of their own players. Case in point, giving Olivera that huge waste of a contract that could've gone to signing Yoan Moncada and then just to dump him because they still didn't trust Turner to man third base after 2 solid years platooning it. Dumping Dee Gordon and creating the current vacuum at second base after more wasted dollars on Alex Guerrero and Erisbel Arruebarrena. Not looking at a contract extension for Jansen the prior offseason. It's as if they're trying to hedge their bets all the time. Their only saving grace is that they have a good farm system... that they inherited.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
rwongega wrote:

McCarthy has the talent, but it was still a poor contract to give out. This is the type of low risk, high reward contract that I would've expected from the current Dodger regime instead of the multi-year-now-we-can't-get-rid-of-them contracts that they gave out. This deal is like the Rich Hill deal, although Ross is coming back from major injury while Hill was healthy when he was signed last season. If the team had made other risks instead of the ones that hamper them with more years, they'd be in better financial situation to have made a few more moves.

I don't get why the front office has faith in certain free agent signings but make moves because they don't have enough faith in some of their own players. Case in point, giving Olivera that huge waste of a contract that could've gone to signing Yoan Moncada and then just to dump him because they still didn't trust Turner to man third base after 2 solid years platooning it. Dumping Dee Gordon and creating the current vacuum at second base after more wasted dollars on Alex Guerrero and Erisbel Arruebarrena. Not looking at a contract extension for Jansen the prior offseason. It's as if they're trying to hedge their bets all the time. Their only saving grace is that they have a good farm system... that they inherited.

There's been a boatload of just awful wasted $'s they've thrown away. "It's not as bad as the other regime" in terms of not wasting AS much is a pretty pathetic benchmark in terms of grading them.

Thus far this off-season, they've made the obvious moves of resigning Turner and Jansen. That's not to be lauded. A chimp could have and should have reached the same decision.

Offseason #3 and still waiting on a relevant move.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Matthew M. wrote:
Hey guys,

Looks 0retty good thanks for add8ng tapatalk wish LG would do that. But it ain't happening.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Eh. McCarthy's one good year pales next to Ross's two ace years and he has yet to stay healthy while Ross has a somewhat smaller sample size of seasons. And I agree, the deal given to Ross is a much better and shorter one than the one we gave to Mr. McDL.

The Dee Gordon trade was made more palatable by flipping Heaney for Kendrick (Chris Hatcher ROFL) but now Kendrick isn't on this team and we had to use an aging Utley at 2B. This FO is playing the not to lose game right now. That doesn't win you rings. The bold ones do.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
MojoRisin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Matthew M. wrote:
Hey guys,

Looks 0retty good thanks for add8ng tapatalk wish LG would do that. But it ain't happening.

adding tapatalk is mistake number 1. Tapatalk is designed for boards like LG that doesnt have a mobile ready design.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Eh. McCarthy's one good year pales next to Ross's two ace years and he has yet to stay healthy while Ross has a somewhat smaller sample size of seasons. And I agree, the deal given to Ross is a much better and shorter one than the one we gave to Mr. McDL.

The Dee Gordon trade was made more palatable by flipping Heaney for Kendrick (Chris Hatcher ROFL) but now Kendrick isn't on this team and we had to use an aging Utley at 2B. This FO is playing the not to lose game right now. That doesn't win you rings. The bold ones do.

I think the opposite. It would've been far better to have kept Heaney. We basically traded 6 years of Heaney for 2 years of Howie, and Howie wasn't even an everyday player in year two. I know Heaney is on the shelf right now, but I really like him. Wish we had him. I think Heaney was a similarly regarded prospect as what De Leon is now. We basically could've gotten someone like De Leon for Gordon, a second baseman who wasn't as highly regarded at the time as what Dozier is now. And Heaney was much younger than what De Leon is now.

Oh well.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
rwongega wrote:

I think the opposite. It would've been far better to have kept Heaney. We basically traded 6 years of Heaney for 2 years of Howie, and Howie wasn't even an everyday player in year two. I know Heaney is on the shelf right now, but I really like him. Wish we had him. I think Heaney was a similarly regarded prospect as what De Leon is now. We basically could've gotten someone like De Leon for Gordon, a second baseman who wasn't as highly regarded at the time as what Dozier is now. And Heaney was much younger than what De Leon is now.

Oh well.

In the long run, I agree. Heaney looked good for the Angels before he got injured. But thanks to the FO, the Gordon trade created a disaster at 2B with limited options outside of trades to fill. At the time Kendrick was an offensively serviceable 2B.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:

MojoRisin wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Matthew M. wrote:
Hey guys,

adding tapatalk is mistake number 1. Tapatalk is designed for boards like LG that doesnt have a mobile ready design.

One feature I really like about tapatalk is the way it aggregates several forum that I don't go to regularly allowing me to follow certain topics. For here I don't need that but LG is not comfortable for mobile devices. I would suggest Opera mobile browser because it does a good job of letting you pinch zoom blocks of text to fit the screen on some sites
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject:

I don't really mind missing out on Dozier, we just need a stopgap at second base and any of the vets in the discussion would do just fine. Willie Calhoun is going to be a nice addition down the line (give/take 1-2 seasons) and with Bellinger and Segedin, our future infield looks to be set for long-term success (salary & production).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject:

I keep coming in this thread hoping for a breaking trade or signing .
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
I don't really mind missing out on Dozier, we just need a stopgap at second base and any of the vets in the discussion would do just fine. Willie Calhoun is going to be a nice addition down the line (give/take 1-2 seasons) and with Bellinger and Segedin, our future infield looks to be set for long-term success (salary & production).

In a vacuum, sure, we can get by with a stopgap 2B option. But we desperately need right-handed power in this lineup, and I can't stress that enough. Dozier would be a completely ideal addition. Kinsler would be great. Forsythe would be nice. But we really need solid right-handed bats in this lineup. That's why I would advocate trying to get Dozier (or Kinsler/Forsythe) AND Braun. I think I saw a report that Milwaukee was finding a hard time getting teams to offer much for Braun because of his baggage. I don't even think he would cost that much in the way of prospects. They want to shed his contract if they can. If we could get them to take one of McCarthy/Kazmir, plus Puig, I don't think we would have to give them any high-level prospects. He's still a really, really good hitter, and he's that right-handed bat that would be huge for us. McCutchen is another possible trade option, but I prefer Braun because I don't think he will cost us any top prospects. If the Pirates move McCutchen, even coming off a down year, they are going to really be aiming high.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

In a vacuum, sure, we can get by with a stopgap 2B option. But we desperately need right-handed power in this lineup, and I can't stress that enough. Dozier would be a completely ideal addition. Kinsler would be great. Forsythe would be nice. But we really need solid right-handed bats in this lineup. That's why I would advocate trying to get Dozier (or Kinsler/Forsythe) AND Braun. I think I saw a report that Milwaukee was finding a hard time getting teams to offer much for Braun because of his baggage. I don't even think he would cost that much in the way of prospects. They want to shed his contract if they can. If we could get them to take one of McCarthy/Kazmir, plus Puig, I don't think we would have to give them any high-level prospects. He's still a really, really good hitter, and he's that right-handed bat that would be huge for us. McCutchen is another possible trade option, but I prefer Braun because I don't think he will cost us any top prospects. If the Pirates move McCutchen, even coming off a down year, they are going to really be aiming high.

All of this is good and all, but that takes some major stones in the negotiating room. This FO of Friedman and Zaidi are limpdicks.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

All of this is good and all, but that takes some major stones in the negotiating room. This FO of Friedman and Zaidi are limpdicks.

Maybe they had a little acknowledgment that they need to maximize this championship window with the re-signings of Kenley, JT, and even Hill. I think it's clear that this management team would be highly hesitant to give up a bunch of its top prospects. But if you could keep most of your highly regarded guys and net some legit difference-making hitters for the next couple of years, I think it's something they might actually do. Only time will tell.

I really didn't think they would re-sign Kenley. It's not the moneyball style to pay closers. I think they recognized that they couldn't afford to lose him. Maybe they will surprise us. But I'm with you and jonnybravo, etc: if they fail to pull off anything of importance via trade between now and the trade deadline, I will be massively disappointed.
MojoRisin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
MojoRisin wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Matthew M. wrote:
Hey guys,

One feature I really like about tapatalk is the way it aggregates several forum that I don't go to regularly allowing me to follow certain topics. For here I don't need that but LG is not comfortable for mobile devices. I would suggest Opera mobile browser because it does a good job of letting you pinch zoom blocks of text to fit the screen on some sites

As a end user it works ok even though a properly designed mobile ready site blows it out of the water, but whatever.

As a site owner it should be avoided at all costs.
dinlabreak
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers just traded JDL for Logan Forsythe (Tampa). Forsythe has a high on base percentage, hit 20 homers last year, and can play multiple positions. He'll be next year's starting second baseman. Only problem I see is that he's a free agent after the season. So JDL for a possible 1 year rental seems kinda steep.

Oh, and Forsythe is an ex-Ray now, so I fully expect rwongega to flip out
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:

I think Dozier's power was inflated and he's more like a 25 homer guy. Minny wanted DeLeon, Alvarez and another high-end prospect; wasn't going to happen.

If we can turn a prospect or two into Braun this will be even better.

Quote:
That contract, which the Rays wisely signed with Forsythe after his breakout 2015 season, promises him just $5.75MM for 2017. It also comes with an affordable option for 2018. The option price started at $8.5MM, but has already risen to $9MM based on escalators. It can moved another $1.5MM northward if Forsythe accumulates enough plate appearances. There’s a $1MM buyout, though that seems unlikely to be required.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/dodgers-deep-in-talks-to-acquire-logan-forsythe-from-rays.html

Looks like we can keep him for two years.

Going to miss DeLeon though -- was looking forward to seeing him anchor the rotation with Urias in the coming years.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Yes, we can keep Forsythe for 2 seasons. Apparently the Twins wanted another top prospect for Dozier, and we just weren't going to do that. Justifiably so, also. Forsythe pounds lefties, and I think this is a fair trade. I agree that now we should make a play for Braun. Then our lineup will be crazy deep (we'd have some combination of Grandal and Joc likely hitting 7th-8th), and we'd still have the prospect capital to make a play for a top reliever before the trade deadline. My dream there would be that the Orioles are out of it and would be willing to move Britton.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

dinlabreak wrote:
Dodgers just traded JDL for Logan Forsythe (Tampa). Forsythe has a high on base percentage, hit 20 homers last year, and can play multiple positions. He'll be next year's starting second baseman. Only problem I see is that he's a free agent after the season. So JDL for a possible 1 year rental seems kinda steep.

Oh, and Forsythe is an ex-Ray now, so I fully expect rwongega to flip out

I would expect most to. One of our top pitching prospects for a 2B who has only had 2 decent seasons. Desperation caused by position mismanagement and hard-ons for former players is what's driving this moronic FO in their decision-making. Clearly, they're hoping Forsythe can be a poor man's Ben Zobrist, but this guy has an equal chance at becoming the next Dustin Ackley. The continued waste of Kershaw's prime years continues.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 12 of 342
Jump to: