Official 2016 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 103, 104, 105  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Heartbreaking loss for my Cowboys.

Need to fix that pass rush. If they do then the Cowboys will be a contender for years to come.

Future is bright with Dak and Zeke and the best OL in football.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:

Need to fix that pass rush. If they do then the Cowboys will be a contender for years to come.

Do you think Jerry will trade Tony? He said he wouldn't.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

It would be idiotic not to. And I think Jerry will realize that Romo wants to play, not sit, and so it's best for all parties involved to simply trade him. Bradford got a 1st round pick, for heaven's sake. And while I realize that Romo is much older and also brittle (like Bradford), Romo is also an elite QB when healthy, something that Sam never has been or likely will be. Dallas will have no problem getting at least a 2nd round pick for him, and maybe more, and it's something that just has to be done. My money is on Houston or Denver. A darkhorse could be Buffalo, since they seem to want to move on from Taylor, and they do have an alpha RB and WR on their team. Arizona would be a good fit if Palmer were to unexpectedly retire, but he wants to keep playing, and I don't think Arians wants to move on from him.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

It would be idiotic not to. And I think Jerry will realize that Romo wants to play, not sit, and so it's best for all parties involved to simply trade him. Bradford got a 1st round pick, for heaven's sake. And while I realize that Romo is much older and also brittle (like Bradford), Romo is also an elite QB when healthy, something that Sam never has been or likely will be. Dallas will have no problem getting at least a 2nd round pick for him, and maybe more, and it's something that just has to be done. My money is on Houston or Denver. A darkhorse could be Buffalo, since they seem to want to move on from Taylor, and they do have an alpha RB and WR on their team. Arizona would be a good fit if Palmer were to unexpectedly retire, but he wants to keep playing, and I don't think Arians wants to move on from him.

You and DMR make good arguments for trading him. My only maybe is Jerry's love for Tony. If Romo weren't so brittle he would be a sure thing for another franchise.

If Jerry decides to have him compete with Dak for the starting position next season I'll be disappointed.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:

This is pretty much it. Put any half-decent QB behind that line with those weapons and you'll go far. They have backups in that OL depth who could start and easily be the best lineman on many teams. Zeke splurged on gifts for that line because he knows who's responsible for his success.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

This is pretty much it. Put any half-decent QB behind that line with those weapons and you'll go far. They have backups in that OL depth who could start and easily be the best lineman on many teams. Zeke splurged on gifts for that line because he knows who's responsible for his success.

While I thought MVP talk for Dak was overblown, I cannot deny that he really played well this season for them. It was the same O line last season and Dallas couldn't do anything, because they had QB's that couldn't play (after Romo got injured). Dak really is a good QB, so yes, they have an exciting future ahead of them with he and Elliott and Dez as the new triplets for the next few years, behind that awesome O line.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

You and DMR make good arguments for trading him. My only maybe is Jerry's love for Tony. If Romo weren't so brittle he would be a sure thing for another franchise.

If Jerry decides to have him compete with Dak for the starting position next season I'll be disappointed.

You just can't bench Dak after what he did this season. You have a guy playing as a top 10 NFL QB for super cheap money. And you have a current backup QB who can fetch you a high draft pick, which is huge in today's NFL. Even if you were to, in theory, open it up to a QB competition in the summer, is Romo going to severely outplay Dak? The answer is no. At best, he might be slightly better. So it's still better to your football team to have the guy you know will play well for you, and who is cheap, and when the other guy can get you a high draft pick. Romo knows he's done there, he still has a lot to prove in his mind, he still wants to play, and Dallas will do the right thing and trade him, ideally to a spot of his choosing. And I still think Houston and Denver make sense, as teams with ready-made defenses and solid offensive weapons, teams that just need better QB play.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Send Romo to Houston or Denver....really its unfair to have him sitting on the sidelines doing nothing when theres a couple of teams that could use a QB of his caliber.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Send Romo to Houston or Denver....really its unfair to have him sitting on the sidelines doing nothing when theres a couple of teams that could use a QB of his caliber.

Those 2 teams really do make the most sense. Denver doesn't have any big money invested in the QB position, though Lynch is the guy they hope will eventually take over. So the question there will be, are they willing to give up the draft pick or picks necessary to try to keep their Super Bowl window open for another year or two, and, also, are they willing to absorb him into their cap space? (The good news is that they appear to have almost $40MM in cap space for '17, as it stands right now.)

As for Houston, not only will they have to surrender a high pick or picks, but they would be essentially admitting their Osweiler mistake--and if they just release him, I believe it comes with a $25MM dead money cap hit. They do have almost $26MM in available cap space, so they could, in theory, afford it, but that's before addressing their free agents, such as AJ Bouye.

I'm still not ruling Buffalo out. This is a team that has owners itching to make the playoffs, some decent defensive talent (that Rex and Rob Ryan managed to mis-use), and LeSean McCoy and Sammy Watkins. GM Doug Whaley has also shown a willingness to deal for players he likes. If they feel they are a solid QB away from making the playoffs, maybe they bite. They are another team with ample cap space, and that's even before factoring in the likely release of Taylor (assuming they aren't on the hook for him medically). I'm sure Romo would rather play for the first two teams I mentioned, but if they aren't able or willing to swing a deal for him, I mean, it's not like he is going to have a wealth of options that are incredible for him.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

Seriously? Jerry has no love for anyone.

Romo's only value to Jones at this point is as trade bait. He has a young, proven QB who has broken out. There's absolutely no value in having a QB competition between Prescott and Romo, who is a beaten up, never got it done guy at the twilight of his career.

Jones may be a bit of a buffoon, but he's not a complete idiot.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

Romo's only value to Jones at this point is as trade bait. He has a young, proven QB who has broken out. There's absolutely no value in having a QB competition between Prescott and Romo, who is a beaten up, never got it done guy at the twilight of his career.

In fairness, didn't Dak also just not get it done? Had Romo stayed healthy this season, it's likely that Dallas would've still had a really good record. Their roster was the best it had ever been during Romo's time there. But clearly, your overall point is a good one, which is that they have to trade him if some other team wants him. And teams will want him. Even if they don't want to give up exactly what Dallas is seeking, teams will still give up, at worst, a high draft pick for a man with a career 97.1 QB rating. It also helps that he looked healthy and normal when he got into that final game of the regular season.

I was surprised that Elway was willing to go into this season, coming off a Super Bowl win and with a great defense, with as unsettled a QB situation as they had. Perhaps this season he corrects that and is willing to acquire an aging, but good-when-he-can-play veteran QB to extend that defense's window for a couple more years. I also think Houston would be the clear favorite in the weak AFC South with Romo at QB. Hopkins probably wants it to happen big time!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
In fairness, didn't Dak also just not get it done? Had Romo stayed healthy this season, it's likely that Dallas would've still had a really good record.

And added yet another "one and done" to Romo's long and storied career as a brittle and unaccomplished post-season QB.

In fairness, wouldn't it make much more sense to acknowledge that a rookie QB who was a 4th round (?) pick spent an entire season stepping into the limelight in unintended circumstances for both parties (though in reality, the Boys staff probably should have assumed a high likelihood of Romo going down at some point)? Especially since it is essentially universally accepted that the Cowboys failings this season were on the other side of the ball?

Dax did exactly what he needed to and could only be expected to. Damn, I'd say he TOTALLY got it done. He stepped into a difficult situation and totally delivered while a team's superstar QB was taken out early in the season. He then made the team not only viable in their franchise guy's absence, he lead them to the top of the NFC.

So, the not so short answer to your question is "no".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

Mule you know I don't usually relent but in the instance I'll have to.

In this case I think Cowboy fans will let Jerry know they want a young QB that if not for a miracle catch and throw they may be going to the championship round.

IMM they weren't beaten by a better team they were beaten by one of the best ever quarterbacks.

If they shore up their defense next season they'll be a force to be reckoned with. Dak should be behind center.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
In fairness, didn't Dak also just not get it done? Had Romo stayed healthy this season, it's likely that Dallas would've still had a really good record.

And added yet another "one and done" to Romo's long and storied career as a brittle and unaccomplished post-season QB.

In fairness, wouldn't it make much more sense to acknowledge that a rookie QB who was a 4th round (?) pick spent an entire season stepping into the limelight in unintended circumstances for both parties (though in reality, the Boys staff probably should have assumed a high likelihood of Romo going down at some point)? Especially since it is essentially universally accepted that the Cowboys failings this season were on the other side of the ball?

Dax did exactly what he needed to and could only be expected to. Damn, I'd say he TOTALLY got it done. He stepped into a difficult situation and totally delivered while a team's superstar QB was taken out early in the season. He then made the team not only viable in their franchise guy's absence, he lead them to the top of the NFC.

Romo has played well in games before where they lost, was my point, and Dak just did the same. I think he's been unfairly scapegoated. Their defense this season was far better than in most of his seasons there, also. (I get it that he is brittle now. Certainly not something that is lost on me.) I'm definitely not saying he hasn't had bad moments. He obviously has. But the scrutiny on him is nuts IMO. He's been an elite quarterback when healthy, and super efficient. I think he's also led the most 4th quarter comebacks in the league since he became the starter. He has Hall of Fame numbers, but people will remember the playoff losses and the highlighted bad moments.

By the way, his career QB rating is 97.1 and his playoff rating is 93. Ben Roethlisberger's is 84.3. Eli Manning's is 87.4, and if a pass he threw up for grabs to avoid a sack to a player that was out of the league the next season wasn't caught miraculously, the "legend of Eli" narrative wouldn't exist. Anyway, I realize that QB rating is not a be-all, end-all, but it also shows that it's not like he's played badly in the playoffs. Not at all. I just think he's been very, very unfairly criticized.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Romo has played well in games before where they lost, was my point, and Dak just did the same. I think he's been unfairly scapegoated. Their defense this season was far better than in most of his seasons there, also. (I get it that he is brittle now. Certainly not something that is lost on me.) I'm definitely not saying he hasn't had bad moments. He obviously has. But the scrutiny on him is nuts IMO. He's been an elite quarterback when healthy, and super efficient. I think he's also led the most 4th quarter comebacks in the league since he became the starter. He has Hall of Fame numbers, but people will remember the playoff losses and the highlighted bad moments.

By the way, his career QB rating is 97.1 and his playoff rating is 93. Ben Roethlisberger's is 84.3. Eli Manning's is 87.4, and if a pass he threw up for grabs to avoid a sack to a player that was out of the league the next season wasn't caught miraculously, the "legend of Eli" narrative wouldn't exist. Anyway, I realize that QB rating is not a be-all, end-all, but it also shows that it's not like he's played badly in the playoffs. Not at all. I just think he's been very, very unfairly criticized.

Romo has been noted for a lack of postseason success and to date, has won only two of the six playoff games he played in. One and done. Is that unfair criticism?

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Romo has been noted for a lack of postseason success and to date, has won only two of the six playoff games he played in. One and done. Is that unfair criticism?

It is my personal opinion that far too much emphasis is placed on the playoffs in football circles. This isn't basketball, where one player can make a gigantic difference in affecting the outcome of a game. I believe Romo has played well in the vast majority of those 6 playoff games. But he's just one player out of 52, and out of 22 starting players on offense and defense. And yes, I realize that the QB position is huge. That's not lost on me. However, I think it's ludicrous to blame him for a 2-4 career playoff record. Their defense has been mostly awful in his time there. His first two playoff starts he didn't play that well, but he definitely did in his last 4 playoff starts. He had 6 TD's and only 1 INT in those 4 games, with a rating of over 100. They also likely would have won that last 2014 playoff game at Lambeau if it wasn't for that call that went against Dez Bryant that I still think was a bad call. Regardless, I think he's been an outstanding QB and I think the criticism he's received has been completely unfair. You'd think the guy was a bum, based on some of the stuff you hear.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Send him back to Illinois and the Bears.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Not if one realizes that the Cowboys won 2 of 6. Just as Dak wasn't responsible for the loss last weekend, Romo wasn't responsible for the 4 playoff games they lost. QBs who can make that much of an impact on their teams are very rare, and one of them beat the Cowboys last weekend.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

It is my personal opinion that far too much emphasis is placed on the playoffs in football circles.

This isn't basketball, where one player can make a gigantic difference in affecting the outcome of a game.

I believe Romo has played well in the vast majority of those 6 playoff games. But he's just one player out of 52, and out of 22 starting players on offense and defense. And yes, I realize that the QB position is huge. That's not lost on me.

However, I think it's ludicrous to blame him for a 2-4 career playoff record. Their defense has been mostly awful in his time there.

His first two playoff starts he didn't play that well, but he definitely did in his last 4 playoff starts. He had 6 TD's and only 1 INT in those 4 games, with a rating of over 100.

They also likely would have won that last 2014 playoff game at Lambeau if it wasn't for that call that went against Dez Bryant that I still think was a bad call.

Regardless, I think he's been an outstanding QB and I think the criticism he's received has been completely unfair. You'd think the guy was a bum, based on some of the stuff you hear.

IMO those football circles are usually aficionados. I lean more towards their opinions than I do the average fan.

Watching the Packer vs Dallas I think Aaron Rodgers play would say you're wrong in that regard.

I don't blame him I give Jerry Jones some onus. He didn't give Tony much protection and IMO the O line is partially responsible for Tony being hurt so many times. It's similar to Andrew Luck. I think his career is in some ways going to parallel Tony's.

We're in agreement on the call. I think many football fans, myself included, think that was a catch and Dallas got jobbed.

I don't think he's a bum. I think some shelf him higher than I do. I place him above average, below excellent.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Rather surprising considering past playoff classics but if the Pats go to yet another SB I'm not watching so they can miss me wanting to watch Brady vs Rodgers when I don't like either.

Quote:
Packers-Cowboys is most-watched NFL Divisional Playoff game ever

The Green Bay Packers' 34-31 win over the Dallas Cowboys had everything a NFL fan could want: a duel between two big-name quarterbacks, lots of scoring and a last-second game-winning field goal.

It also had everything that Fox, which broadcast it, could want: a ton of viewers.

An average of 48.5 million people watched the game, according to Nielsen Fast Nationals data. That makes it the most-watched NFL Divisional Playoff game ever on any network, according to Fox.

The matchup was also the most-watched telecast of any kind since Super Bowl 50 last year.

Fox wasn't the only one to reap the NFL's benefits on Sunday.

NBC's broadcast of the Pittsburgh Steelers' 18-16 win over the Kansas City Chiefs Sunday night brought in an average of 37.1 million viewers.

That makes it the most-watched primetime game ever for an NFL Wild Card or Divisional round playoff game, according to the network. (It may have helped that there has never before been a Wild Card or Divisional round game on Sunday night; this one was rescheduled due to inclement weather.)

The NFL had ratings problems during its regular season, but it's now looking at what will likely be another very big weekend, as the AFC and NFC Championship Games both feature popular teams, with the Packers, Steelers, Atlanta Falcons and New England Patriots all in contention.

It's also looking at a Super Bowl that could shatter ratings records.

The loss of the Cowboys, who had helped keep the NFL's ratings afloat, is a hit for the league but the Super Bowl could still bring in an unprecedented amount of viewers, especially if it features a matchup between the Patriots and Packers.

A Patriots-Packers Super Bowl would feature two of the hottest teams in the NFL, and pit two of the best quarterbacks of this generation, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady, against one another for the first time ever on the NFL's biggest stage.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/16/medi...s-nfl-ratings/
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

Steerlers will beat the Patriots and Falcons will beat the Packers.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

I want the XLV rematch that I know Roethlisberger's been waiting for.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

I want the XLV rematch that I know Roethlisberger's been waiting for.

That's my pick too, thinking Steelers v Packers would make a dope superbowl matchup.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

Patriots va Packers.....Tom vs Aaron.....SB LI

GB 24 ..... NE 28

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

Roethlisberger isn't having a good season, and in fact he's quite a bit worse on the road. It's Bell who is the offensive force on that Steelers team. Bell is simply the best RB in the league, though the Patriots are also one of the best teams at stopping the run. I expect the Patriots to cram eight in the box, with Chung working Bell should he line up as a receiver. Bell will get his 100+ yards, the key will be YPC. Earlier this season the Patriots held Bell to under 4.0 YPC. The key players in stopping Bell will be Hightower, Branch and Brown. Bell is really damn good, but I feel good about this match up.

The other weapon I worry about is Antonio Brown. While Roethlisberger is not having a good season, he has the arm to hoist up deep 50/50 balls, and let Brown fight it out with the DB or DBs in coverage. He's the most talented WR in football, I expect that he'll be covered by Butler with McCourty cheating over on most snaps. That's why Pittsburgh is dangerous in my book, it's Bell forcing defenders into the box which in turn prevents Bell from receiving bracket coverage.

What to watch for: Similar to the KC game, can Pittsburgh score in the red zone?

Pittsburgh finally has a good defense; they've made upgrades so that they're no longer the slow, soft zone team that Brady used to pick apart at ease. That's really the X Factor for Pittsburgh. While they aren't Houston or Denver, they have some damn good weapons at attacking the QB in Tuitt, Dupree and the ageless Harrison. I expect some shifting, with Tuitt sometimes stunting away from LT (Solder). Houston exploited the weakness in the New England offensive line, which is the A Gap between the undersized Andrews and the rookie Thuney. My gut tells me that Tomlin will try to pressure Brady from making the pocket collapse from the inside, the question is whether the Patriots can staunch the bleeding. I expect to see more of the FB Develin if that line has trouble, this is a game that the Patriots will really miss having Gronkowski. Gronk keeps aggressive defenses honest.

I think it's Pittsburgh's pass rush that will make this a game. If they can dial up the pressure, they have a shot at winning it.

Prediction: NE 27, Pittsburgh 20
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Page 75 of 105
Jump to: