President Obama appoints Ray Allen as member of Holocaust Memorial Council

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: President Obama appoints Ray Allen as member of Holocaust Memorial Council

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/30/president-barack-obama-ray-allen-appoint-holocaust-memorial-council/

Quote:
President Obama appoints Ray Allen as member of Holocaust Memorial Council

Former NBA star Ray Allen has always supported the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Allen took his teammates there when he was a player, and he uses it as a teaching and connective tool for people around him.

Now, President Barack Obama has appointed Allen as a member of the U.S. Holocause Memorial Council.

The White House announced the appointment on their website on Thursday, and Allen did the same on his social media.

Via Instagram:

Allen has previously spoken about the impact the museum has had on his life and how he feels it can affect others.

In an interview posted to the museum’s website, Allen had this to say about his experience there:

My first visit to the Holocaust Museum, I had just gotten to the NBA. And I heard about it. I’ve always been, you know, a guy that’s gone to museums. My coach in college was very much into taking us places and teaching us things while we traveled throughout the course of the season. And so, I just picked up that. When I traveled, I always went to places, cities. I’d try to figure out what different cities had to offer. And I just remember the first time I went there, it being so profound. And it’s a lesson for everybody. That’s something that stayed true to me. And I’ve been four or five times. And every time I go, I see something different. And when I come back, I always take somebody different.

You take any person through the Museum, based on their experiences and their life, they’re going to see different things. And they’re going to talk about the things they want to talk about. But I think the most important thing is communication. That’s a powerful, powerful tool, just talking about it and trying to understand it, and learn from it, and grow.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject:

Trump will be sure to undo that when he gets to D.C.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
My first visit to the Holocaust Museum, I had just gotten to the NBA. And I heard about it. I’ve always been, you know, a guy that’s gone to museums. My coach in college was very much into taking us places and teaching us things while we traveled throughout the course of the season. And so, I just picked up that. When I traveled, I always went to places, cities. I’d try to figure out what different cities had to offer. And I just remember the first time I went there, it being so profound. And it’s a lesson for everybody. That’s something that stayed true to me. And I’ve been four or five times. And every time I go, I see something different. And when I come back, I always take somebody different.

I wish more NBA players and athletes in general would think this way, instead of just getting know the local clubs and woman.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Never knew Ray was Jewish...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Never knew Ray was Jewish...

You caused me to chuckle. Thank you.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: