AH's 2016-2017 Flopping Hall of Shame
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
The truth is that there was no effort whatsoever by Draymond to go for the ball. The truth is that the guy's done nothing to dispel the fact that he's just a dirty POS. And the truth is that LeBron "sold" Green's clothesline, no doubt. But that's not really flopping because the inevitable result of Draymond's non-basketball action on any player would have easily constituted a flagrant foul anyway, IMO.

This.

I realize that Lebron is a lightning rod around here, but that was NOT a flop. When you are arguing about how hard Lebron got hit, you aren't talking about a flop any more. If you want to argue that Lebron played it for all that it was worth, I'm fine with that. If you want to argue that this was just a routine play or an ordinary foul, you're being stupid.

This is not ice hockey, people. Draymond Green was deliberately drilling Lebron for whatever reason floats around in his version of a brain. It could easily have been a flagrant 2, but I agree with the refs that a flagrant 1 was the right call. Just the same, if the league decides to suspend Green, I would have no problem with it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
I've never been a big EL BJ fan, but come on, Green is a big guy and they were both running at each other. I think Lebron "sold it", but it's hardly the worst flop this month even.

Maybe but it has to be in the top 5. I watched the game. Draymon's reputation preceded him.

Well, many people are saying it was a flagrant foul (#manypeople) ...

Chris Webber, who has evolved from a promising in-studio host to a forgettable color commentator, continued to insist in the aftermath that Green was just going for the ball ... and as the replay was shown over and over and over again, he just kept doubling-down. It was super awkward. But lots of other people jumped on the "flop" bandwagon and accused LeBron of flopping on the play, too. So there was plenty of room on that bandwagon for people who got it wrong. The truth is that there was no effort whatsoever by Draymond to go for the ball. The truth is that the guy's done nothing to dispel the fact that he's just a dirty POS. And the truth is that LeBron "sold" Green's clothesline, no doubt. But that's not really flopping because the inevitable result of Draymond's non-basketball action on any player would have easily constituted a flagrant foul anyway, IMO.

Draymond weighs 250 lbs. and he tried to clothesline LeBron. Just tell it like it is next time, Draymond, and don't be a (bleep) on the sidelines flailing your arms for attention with that dumb-(bleep) grin on your face ... and try not to cost your team any more games, you big dumb dumb.

I watched the video over and over. It looked to me as though Green's shoulder hit James in the chest not the jaw like LeBron made it seem. He fell as though he was out cold, Oscar winning acting.

Also you say he wasn't going for the ball 0.36, 0.43, 0.56, you can see his right arm on the ball. IMO it was as Chris said a hard foul. LeBron sold it.

In my eyes he diminishes the greatness of his talent with his acting. Barkley, Shaq and other greats say he's a flopper. I go with their take.

IMO LeBron is the best player in the game today. He's also the best actor.

By the Bye: Golden State destroyed Cleveland 126 91. Won by 35 points.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
I've never been a big EL BJ fan, but come on, Green is a big guy and they were both running at each other. I think Lebron "sold it", but it's hardly the worst flop this month even.

Maybe but it has to be in the top 5. I watched the game. Draymon's reputation preceded him.

Chris Webber, who has evolved from a promising in-studio host to a forgettable color commentator, continued to insist in the aftermath that Green was just going for the ball ... and as the replay was shown over and over and over again, he just kept doubling-down. It was super awkward. But lots of other people jumped on the "flop" bandwagon and accused LeBron of flopping on the play, too. So there was plenty of room on that bandwagon for people who got it wrong. The truth is that there was no effort whatsoever by Draymond to go for the ball. The truth is that the guy's done nothing to dispel the fact that he's just a dirty POS. And the truth is that LeBron "sold" Green's clothesline, no doubt. But that's not really flopping because the inevitable result of Draymond's non-basketball action on any player would have easily constituted a flagrant foul anyway, IMO.

Draymond weighs 250 lbs. and he tried to clothesline LeBron. Just tell it like it is next time, Draymond, and don't be a (bleep) on the sidelines flailing your arms for attention with that dumb-(bleep) grin on your face ... and try not to cost your team any more games, you big dumb dumb.

I watched the video over and over. It looked to me as though Green's shoulder hit James in the chest not the jaw like LeBron made it seem. He fell as though he was out cold, Oscar winning acting.

Also you say he wasn't going for the ball 0.36, 0.43, 0.56, you can see his right arm on the ball. IMO it was a Chris said a hard foul. LeBron sold it.

In my eyes he diminishes the greatness of his talent with his acting. Barkley, Shaq and other greats say he's a flopper. I go with their take.

I'm not interested in arguing back-and-forth with you (or anyone else) about this issue ... Draymond said in his own words, with audio and video available (see below), that he "fouled him to stop the break" ... for the last (bleep) time, there was no attempt to go for the ball. If you want to continue believing otherwise, when the horse's mouth has already told you what your eyes should have already seen, then I don't have anything further to add on that issue ...

Did LeBron "sell" what amounted to significant physical contact? It was a clothesline, incidentally. I don't know ... probably. Do I have a problem with it? No ... and unless you expect players to promptly run over to the scorer's table and stop play to make sure they are called for a foul every time the officials miss the call in their favor, I just don't give a (bleep) what players do to reasonably exploit an imperfect system ...

Shaq and Barkley, huh? Well, LeBron's been arguably the best player in basketball for nearly a decade now ... these fouls that you and others in the civilian world deride as "nothing", as mere examples of his "flopping", would drop every single one of you on your asses on your best day ... by way of example, the link below includes an image of an impact at the rim that probably happens 8 - 15x every game. It wasn't called a foul ...

http://deadspin.com/the-warriors-turned-the-cavaliers-to-ash-1791273171
Vesper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

the new generation are pu******

This applies for every sport. Flopping/faking injury has become more and more common
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:
the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Also you say he wasn't going for the ball 0.36, 0.43, 0.56, you can see his right arm on the ball. IMO it was a Chris said a hard foul. LeBron sold it.

I'm not interested in arguing back-and-forth with you (or anyone else) about this issue ... Draymond said in his own words, with audio and video available (see below), that he "fouled him to stop the break" ...

for the last (bleep) time, there was no attempt to go for the ball. If you want to continue believing otherwise, when the horse's mouth has already told you what your eyes should have already seen, then I don't have anything further to add on that issue ...

Did LeBron "sell" what amounted to significant physical contact? It was a clothesline, incidentally. I don't know ... probably. Do I have a problem with it? No ... and unless you expect players to promptly run over to the scorer's table and stop play to make sure they are called for a foul every time the officials miss the call in their favor, I just don't give a (bleep) what players do to reasonably exploit an imperfect system ...

Shaq and Barkley, huh? Well, LeBron's been arguably the best player in basketball for nearly a decade now ... these fouls that you and others in the civilian world deride as "nothing", as mere examples of his "flopping", would drop every single one of you on your asses on your best day ... by way of example, the link below includes an image of an impact at the rim that probably happens 8 - 15x every game. It wasn't called a foul ...

http://deadspin.com/the-warriors-turned-the-cavaliers-to-ash-1791273171

Didn't say he didn't foul him, said it wasn't flagrant.

I feel you're getting upset, no need, it's just a game. So on that note I say let's discontinue this conversation. Have a great day.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Jodeke, if you watch the video fairly, you will see that Green wound up before hitting Lebron. The refs and the league have emphasized that this is one of the defining characteristics of a flagrant foul.

Please get "going for the ball" out of your lexicon. This is the standard excuse for every flagrant foul -- He was going for the ball! Even if true, it doesn't mean that you can drill your opponent to get the ball. That should be obvious.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I feel you're getting upset, no need, it's just a game. So on that note I say let's discontinue this conversation. Have a great day.

Thanks for the clarification. This discussion doesn't rise to any level that might upset me, but since you've clarified your argument, I'll provide the NBA rulebook link (below), followed by the actual language of the rule in question:

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_12.html

Section IV - Flagrant Fouls
a. If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpreted to be unnecessary, a flagrant foul - penalty (1) will be assessed. A personal foul is charged to the offender and a team foul is charged to the team.

With the focus on Hack-a-Shaq rule changes last Summer, there was no credible alternative for those officials but to call a flagrant foul on Green. That level of contact wasn't necessary to interrupt LeBron's path with a personal foul. It was dirty and dangerous, just like so many Draymond Green decisions. He made absolutely no play on the ball, he acknowledged in the presser that he intentionally committed the foul to stop the Cleveland break (with a smirk on his face), and he gathered to initiate excessive contact (to the head or head-adjacent, whatever), all of which exposed the opposing player to a very possible risk of injury. Frankly, that's game, set, match on this discussion. But when you amplify the situation by taking into account Draymond's lengthy reputation for dirty play, I'm not even sure why this was an issue ...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Jodeke, if you watch the video fairly, you will see that Green wound up before hitting Lebron. The refs and the league have emphasized that this is one of the defining characteristics of a flagrant foul.

Please get "going for the ball" out of your lexicon. This is the standard excuse for every flagrant foul -- He was going for the ball! Even if true, it doesn't mean that you can drill your opponent to get the ball. That should be obvious.

AH, I don't see a "wind up" I see a shoulder to the chest as described by Marv Albert. I see a hard foul, not a flagrant.

I see James flopping, falling like he'd been hit by a Mike Tyson left hook, lying in a prone seemingly unconscious position, auditioning for a Oscar.

I see LeBron grabbing his jaw a jaw I didn't see hit, I saw a shoulder to the chest (as described by Albert). I also see at the times I noted Green's arm hitting the ball. I won't "get that out of my lexicon."

It was a foul, IMO a hard foul not a flagrant. I'm not a fan of either. LeBron has a history of flopping, Draymon has a history of flagrants.

You see what you see, I see what I see. As a lawyer you know two eye witnesses may see the same thing differently.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. This discussion doesn't rise to any level that might upset me, but since you've clarified your argument, I'll provide the NBA rulebook link (below), followed by the actual language of the rule in question:

a. If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpreted to be unnecessary, a flagrant foul - penalty (1) will be assessed. A personal foul is charged to the offender and a team foul is charged to the team.

With the focus on Hack-a-Shaq rule changes last Summer, there was no credible alternative for those officials but to call a flagrant foul on Green. That level of contact wasn't necessary to interrupt LeBron's path with a personal foul. It was dirty and dangerous, just like so many Draymond Green decisions. He made absolutely no play on the ball, he acknowledged in the presser that he intentionally committed the foul to stop the Cleveland break (with a smirk on his face), and he gathered to initiate excessive contact (to the head or head-adjacent, whatever), all of which exposed the opposing player to a very possible risk of injury. Frankly, that's game, set, match on this discussion. But when you amplify the situation by taking into account Draymond's lengthy reputation for dirty play, I'm not even sure why this was an issue ...

My bad you jus got a Kobe mouth huh? j/k

How can you deem it unnecessary when Green said the foul was to stop a fast break? Doing that is a part of the game practiced in just about every game played. Was the contact more violent than it should have been, maybe? Still my interpretation is a hard foul not a flagrant.

the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:

How can you deem it unnecessary when Green said the foul was to stop a fast break? Doing that is a part of the game practiced in just about every game played. Was the contact more violent than it should have been, maybe? Still my interpretation is a hard foul not a flagrant.

http://thesource.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/kobe-face.jpg

I think it's pretty clear that he could have done what we see at least once in just about every game in the NBA ... he could have just wrapped LeBron up to prevent a pass or FGA if he simply wanted to shortcircuit the Cleveland fast break opportunity. But he gathered ... and he forced significant contact with the opposing player ... his shoulder made contact with LeBron's head ... maybe his reputation preceded him, as you suggested upstream in the thread. Regardless, given the rule and given the attention hack-a-shaq nonsense has garnered over the past few years, I'll continue to believe that the officials had no credible alternative but to call Green for the flagrant foul.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:
the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:

http://thesource.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/kobe-face.jpg

I think it's pretty clear that he could have done what we see at least once in just about every game in the NBA ... he could have just wrapped LeBron up to prevent a pass or FGA if he simply wanted to shortcircuit the Cleveland fast break opportunity. But he gathered ... and he forced significant contact with the opposing player ...

his shoulder made contact with LeBron's head ... maybe his reputation preceded him, as you suggested upstream in the thread. Regardless, given the rule and given the attention hack-a-shaq nonsense has garnered over the past few years, I'll continue to believe that the officials had no credible alternative but to call Green for the flagrant foul.

Yes he gathered to keep his feet when he made contact. Was it excessive, maybe? I continue to own a hard foul not a flagrant.

Again we see the same play differently. Marv Albert and I see shoulder to the chest, Marv was at the game with a better view. You, and I believe AH, see a shoulder to the head.

I've viewed the video numerous times looking for the shoulder to the head. I don't see it.

the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Yes he gathered to keep his feet when he made contact. Was it excessive, maybe? I continue to own a hard foul not a flagrant.

Again we see the same play differently. Marv Albert and I see shoulder to the chest, Marv was at the game with a better view. You, and I believe AH, see a shoulder to the head.

I've viewed the video numerous times looking for the shoulder to the head. I don't see it.

No Zapruder films lying around, but ...

Cue the linked video above to the 0:34 mark, run it at 1/4 speed, and if you can manage to get through the nightmare of Chris Webber's stoned idiocy voice, tell me again that Draymond's upper right arm / shoulder area didn't strike LeBron's jaw. And if you still don't see it after this effort, I'll just throw in the towel (Horry-style) ...

(still: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Dly-885gW40/hqdefault.jpg)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Cue the linked video above to the 0:34 mark, run it at 1/4 speed, and if you can manage to get through the nightmare of Chris Webber's stoned idiocy voice, tell me again that Draymond's upper right arm / shoulder area didn't strike LeBron's jaw. And if you still don't see it after this effort, I'll just throw in the towel (Horry-style) ...

How do you run it at 1/4 speed. I'm not ashamed to being wrong (note my siggy). If I'm shown to be I'll relent. I'm not a Internet warrior intent on winning every debate. Truth shall set you free.

At 0.04/1:11 he's reaching for the ball. At the next frame it looks like his shoulder hits LBJ's chest area.

In that still I see LeBrons chin in front ot Greens shoulder. From that angle I don't see how you can be certain his shoulder hit LBJ's chin.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
ClemensBriels
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

LeBron hasn't really flopped on phantom contact in years. I mean I didn't care when he did because a lot of players do it. A lot of it is just flinching anyway, but NBA fans are insufferable, hateful (bleep) and they are the ones who exaggerate contact.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:

How do you run it at 1/4 speed. I'm not ashamed to being wrong (note my siggy). If I'm shown to be I'll relent. I'm not a Internet warrior intent on winning every debate. Truth shall set you free.

On the bottom right of the video's control bar, click on the gear icon ... in the speed setting (right in the middle of the five available options), choose 0.25 for 1/4 speed. Then resume the video ...

Jodeke, I'm not ashamed of being wrong, either. It happens from time-to-time, just as I'm sure it does for you. But I don't travel that path unless I'm actually wrong, or sometimes if it's my wife on the other side of the discussion ...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:
the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:

On the bottom right of the video's control bar, click on the gear icon ... in the speed setting (right in the middle of the five available options), choose 0.25 for 1/4 speed. Then resume the video ...

Jodeke, I'm not ashamed of being wrong, either. It happens from time-to-time, just as I'm sure it does for you. But I don't travel that path unless I'm actually wrong, unless it's my wife on the other side of the discussion ...

Thanks for the video lesson. I ran it at 0.25 I still see the shoulder hitting the chest area. Jame's head was turned left at impact. I see LeBron's head jerk to make it seem to be more than it was, he's a great salesman. I don't think that head movement was caused by impact. I think it was a act. I don't see how you can definitively say his shoulder hit LeBron's chin. In that same time frame I see Green reaching for the ball.

We're seeing things differently. OK let's agree to disagree.

You're a very smart man, Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
AH, I don't see a "wind up" I see a shoulder to the chest as described by Marv Albert. I see a hard foul, not a flagrant.

Well, now you've been educated. It was an obvious flagrant foul. You don't seem to grasp the difference between a 2 and a 1. If the hit was really hard enough to do damage, it would have been a 2, and Green would be looking at a suspension.

P.S. It doesn't matter whether it was a blow to Lebron's chest. If it was a blow to the head, it would have been an obvious 2.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Well, now you've been educated. It was an obvious flagrant foul. You don't seem to grasp the difference between a 2 and a 1. If the hit was really hard enough to do damage, it would have been a 2, and Green would be looking at a suspension.

P.S. It doesn't matter whether it was a blow to Lebron's chest. If it was a blow to the head, it would have been an obvious 2.

OK BY definition of a flagrant you and association have a point. I'll go with the rules of flagrant and concede. In my mind I still own hard foul.

OK AH & association 2 to 1 LINK

TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject:

AH's fun thread is all messed up now
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

OK BY definition of a flagrant you and association have a point. I'll go with the rules of flagrant and concede. In my mind I still own hard foul.

OK AH & association 2 to 1 LINK

Cheers to you, jodeke. I appreciate the opportunity to engage in discussions here, and to disagree at times without being (too) disagreeable. I recognize that I don't always do the best job of finding the ideal point to ease up, so I appreciate your reminder that I can do better to contribute with more of an eye toward the exchange and less toward the win / loss outcome. Anyway, have a great night ...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
AH's fun thread is all messed up now

We'll get it back on track!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject:

Michael Carter Williams with the flop on a screen.

B-. It's a half-assed version of Chris Paul's vaunted helicopter spin. To his credit, the kid did get the call to get the A, the arms needed to be extended and more torque on the spin.

Here is the legend demonstrating:

lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8DGsnkibcE

B-. It's a half-assed version of Chris Paul's vaunted helicopter spin. To his credit, the kid did get the call to get the A, the arms needed to be extended and more torque on the spin.

Here is the legend demonstrating:

I agree, he comes of as a B-List actor. You can see the slight hesitation before he falls.

CP is such a natural. He has it hard-wired into muscle memory at this point.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8DGsnkibcE

Concur. He gets the call, but it looks more clumsy than artistic. I don't think he gets the call if the defender doesn't make a shoving motion as he goes down. The defender has a look on his face that says, "Hey, what did you do that for? I was gonna foul you for real."
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject:

The best dives of the NBA season, set to music.

CP3 is one of the best

LINK

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: