NBC: Jim: ..[F]iring me a ‘big mistake’/ESPN:Jeannie & Magic pg. 3&6 (Update: LATimes: Jeannie will be ready to make decision re Jim (pg. 14)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject:

Dr. Buss built a great empire but his dying wish was one that is undoing what it took him half a lifetime to build. Jeanie has to make a decision of either going against her father's wish and fire her brother or sell the team to a new owner. She cannot continue to let her brother run the team into the ground like this.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject:

The problem continues to be the schism in the Jeanie/Jim relationship, and the endless public commentary on it, including by the siblings themselves. If they can't see the damage that has done to the reputation of org, then neither of them are fit to be in charge of anything. Not coincidentally, the org has been striking out in the free agent market for a long time.

Jeanie is educated and I have no concerns about her intellect. But her endless interviews about her brother over the last few years have been very damaging to this franchise. Agents read the papers too. And agents hold a lot of sway over many of their clients. Agents see the toxic situation in the org, which its key figures are only too happy to speak about with the media. Jim's public comments have also been beyond silly and moronic, and he needlessly caused all of it by opening his pie hole in the first place.

Despite her intellect, it seems to me that Jeanie is flailing when it comes to how to fix the team. The fact imo is she simply doesn't know what to do. Years wasted pining for Phil to return, Byron Scott as coach, always keeping Magic close. None of it has netted the organization a damn thing, and now Magic - and I love the guy OK - but now Magic is counseling Lakers fans to be patient?! That's a new one from him! But welcome nonetheless. He is not, however, the answer to what ails this franchise.

I loved the Showtime era too, and I will always appreciate it and remember it fondly. But it's just a memory now.

If Jeanie really wants to fix the franchise, she will put on the most relentless pursuit of her life this summer into convincing Jerry West to return to this organization, right the ship, and restore the gravitas that this org desperately needs, and which has been so amateurishly frittered away for many years. The man still lives in So Cal, he is still a Laker at heart, and they should pay/give him just about whatever he wants. Of course West is a senior citizen and probably doesn't want to clock in and out at the office every day, but they don't need him for that. They just need him around to advise Mitch, and more importantly Jeanie and Jim, and to be in the room when we're talking to a big time free agent.

The only way to really fix this team more quickly is to make a good signing or two, and the only way that happens is to restore the luster that this org used to have but has frittered away in recent times. And getting West back in the fold is the only quick way to accomplish that.

Otherwise, the org will continue to flail about. Maybe the young guys we have will be something in another year or two. I like the Luke hire. But there's still something really wrong here. And Jeanie doesn't know how to fix it anymore than her brother does.

It's time to put someone in place who will get the job done. If the Buss family doesn't move heaven and earth this summer to try and make that happen then they deserve whatever comes next.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
The problem continues to be the schism in the Jeanie/Jim relationship, and the endless public commentary on it, including by the siblings themselves. If they can't see the damage that has done to the reputation of org, then neither of them are fit to be in charge of anything. Not coincidentally, the org has been striking out in the free agent market for a long time.

Jeanie is educated and I have no concerns about her intellect. But her endless interviews about her brother over the last few years have been very damaging to this franchise. Agents read the papers too. And agents hold a lot of sway over many of their clients. Agents see the toxic situation in the org, which its key figures are only too happy to speak about with the media. Jim's public comments have also been beyond silly and moronic, and he needlessly caused all of it by opening his pie hole in the first place.

Despite her intellect, it seems to me that Jeanie is flailing when it comes to how to fix the team. The fact imo is she simply doesn't know what to do. Years wasted pining for Phil to return, Byron Scott as coach, always keeping Magic close. None of it has netted the organization a damn thing, and now Magic - and I love the guy OK - but now Magic is counseling Lakers fans to be patient?! That's a new one from him! But welcome nonetheless. He is not, however, the answer to what ails this franchise.

I loved the Showtime era too, and I will always appreciate it and remember it fondly. But it's just a memory now.

If Jeanie really wants to fix the franchise, she will put on the most relentless pursuit of her life this summer into convincing Jerry West to return to this organization, right the ship, and restore the gravitas that this org desperately needs, and which has been so amateurishly frittered away for many years. The man still lives in So Cal, he is still a Laker at heart, and they should pay/give him just about whatever he wants. Of course West is a senior citizen and probably doesn't want to clock in and out at the office every day, but they don't need him for that. They just need him around to advise Mitch, and more importantly Jeanie and Jim, and to be in the room when we're talking to a big time free agent.

The only way to really fix this team more quickly is to make a good signing or two, and the only way that happens is to restore the luster that this org used to have but has frittered away in recent times. And getting West back in the fold is the only quick way to accomplish that.

Otherwise, the org will continue to flail about. Maybe the young guys we have will be something in another year or two. I like the Luke hire. But there's still something really wrong here. And Jeanie doesn't know how to fix it anymore than her brother does.

It's time to put someone in place who will get the job done. If the Buss family doesn't move heaven and earth this summer to try and make that happen then they deserve whatever comes next.

Great post. I wonder if promoting his son to GM would bring Jerry back.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Dr. Buss built a great empire but his dying wish was one that is undoing what it took him half a lifetime to build. Jeanie has to make a decision of either going against her father's wish and fire her brother or sell the team to a new owner. She cannot continue to let her brother run the team into the ground like this.

We wont have to wait much longer. Thankfully.

Hopefully.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

AWESOME POST. Can we send this to the Lakers, to John Black, To Jeannie, to Jerry West? I agree 100%. Losing Jerry was a joke. Didn't Durant say that once Jerry was involved, it was a no brainer? I hate everyone involved in letting Jerry leave. Stupid people. Whether it was all Phil Jackson, Mitch, etc...Stupid....

CabinCreek44 wrote:

clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

We wont have to wait much longer. Thankfully.

Hopefully.

agree totally
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

Realistically, I don't see any of this happening.

First, if the Lakers were going to woo West to come in as a consultant, the wooing would have to be from Mitch and Jim, not Jeanie. If she were the one to go after him, he would see it as a divide-and-conquer strategy. He knows the palace Intrigue that is the Lakers very well, and at 80 years old he's not going to play that game.

Beyond that, I just don't see him coming here and undermining Mitch and his own son's career progression. If his son actually did become GM, the last thing Jerry would want to do was come here.

I think most of us have given up on the idea that Phil Jackson is going to be the guy on the White Horse who saves us, it's time to give up on the idea that Jerry West is that guy tooj.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

The Lakers have increased in value since Dr. Buss passed, so I am not sure what you are talking about. Plus Jeanie can't sell the Lakers, there are 7 owners who would have to agree to sell.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

No
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
AWESOME POST. Can we send this to the Lakers, to John Black, To Jeannie, to Jerry West? I agree 100%. Losing Jerry was a joke. Didn't Durant say that once Jerry was involved, it was a no brainer? I hate everyone involved in letting Jerry leave. Stupid people. Whether it was all Phil Jackson, Mitch, etc...Stupid....

CabinCreek44 wrote:

So you intend to send a letter telling Jeanie that you hate her father, and that you have no intention of being patient enough to see if the young players work out? How do you think she would react to that? Is probably a good idea of how she would react.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

First, if the Lakers were going to woo West to come in as a consultant, the wooing would have to be from Mitch and Jim, not Jeanie. If she were the one to go after him, he would see it as a divide-and-conquer strategy. He knows the palace Intrigue that is the Lakers very well, and at 80 years old he's not going to play that game.

Beyond that, I just don't see him coming here and undermining Mitch and his own son's career progression. If his son actually did become GM, the last thing Jerry would want to do was come here.

I think most of us have given up on the idea that Phil Jackson is going to be the guy on the White Horse who saves us, it's time to give up on the idea that Jerry West is that guy tooj.

Jerry has part ownership in the Warriors, he left because he could not get part ownership in the Lakers. And the idea that he would come back to overshadow his son is laughable. That is what is wrong with threads like this, people make up fantasy ideas that have no basis in reality. Jerry West isn't coming, if that is what some are hanging their hats on they set themselves up for disappointment.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

The Lakers have increased in value since Dr. Buss passed, so I am not sure what you are talking about. Plus Jeanie can't sell the Lakers, there are 7 owners who would have to agree to sell.

The team is a financial success. But that can be said of almost every NBA team. The NBA is a juggernaut financially, and I can't attribute the increasing value of the franchise to anything the Buss kids have done. They are definitely in the right place at the right time as far as shielding the bottom line from any on-court disasters.

I'd say it's fair to say the culture and glitter of the Lakers have diminished significantly since Dr. Buss died. So, yeah, from the standpoint of fans if not accountants, it's fair to say Dr. Buss' empire has indeed crumbled.

But, yeah, Jeanie certainly doesn't have power to sell the team, owning only about a 10th of it, and it's anyone's guess if she even fire Jim.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

Jerry has part ownership in the Warriors, he left because he could not get part ownership in the Lakers. And the idea that he would come back to overshadow his son is laughable. That is what is wrong with threads like this, people make up fantasy ideas that have no basis in reality. Jerry West isn't coming, if that is what some are hanging their hats on they set themselves up for disappointment.

Yup. But of course LG is nothing more than a place for venting and fantasy. As Hunter likes to say, it's where the Id shouts, not where the superego governs.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

This whole Jeanie vs. Jim issue sprung up again because Jeanie had lunch with Magic, but Magic just said publicly that the youngsters should be given time to develop, and now that Phil is out of the picture, I'm not so sure that Jeanie is looking to replace Jim at all. In fact, not only should she fully support Jim, but she and the other Buss children owe him a huge THANK YOU!

Here's why.

We all remember the Kobe Farewell Tour.
It seems pretty clear that post Achilles Kobe was not made the highest paid player in the league purely for his expected on the court production.
It was done for goodwill and profitability, and goodwill and profitability are on Jeanie's side of the house.
The Kobe FWT was great for the bottom line and produced record profits. All of the Buss siblings benefitted financially.
Of course, it came at a cost to the basketball ops side of the house.
Jim's side had to sacrifice for Jeanie's side.

As fans, profitability is a dirty word, and we don't care if the owners make money or not.
But Jeanie and her siblings care greatly.
Like every owner, profitability is the most important thing, and Jim just stuffed the coffers.

Jim Buss wrote:
You're welcome.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

The team is a financial success. But that can be said of almost every NBA team. The NBA is a juggernaut financially, and I can't attribute the increasing value of the franchise to anything the Buss kids have done. They are definitely in the right place at the right time as far as shielding the bottom line from any on-court disasters.

I'd say it's fair to say the culture and glitter of the Lakers have diminished significantly since Dr. Buss died. So, yeah, from the standpoint of fans if not accountants, it's fair to say Dr. Buss' empire has indeed crumbled.

But, yeah, Jeanie certainly doesn't have power to sell the team, owning only about a 10th of it, and it's anyone's guess if she even fire Jim.

A team that is making a healthy profit is hardly being ran into the ground.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Well, Jeanie supposedly did the bulk of the negotiations with TWC to secure e Lakers the insanely massive tv deal they got which secured the Lakers' financial future for twenty years. The Lakers have a lot of brand equity built up from Dr Buss' tenure as owner, but that has been slowly eroding the past few years. I think we all hope the Lakers reverse that trend sooner rather than later.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I'm a fan, not an accountant. They don't give rings to teams based on their profit margins. So, yeah, as a fan if a team sucks, I don't get all hot and bothered with excitement that the owners are still making a tidy profit. But, hey, if you are a charter member of the Donald Sterling Profit Maximizing Fan Club, that's your business.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

It's a tough situation. Jerry wanted Jim to be the head of the basketball side and Jeanie the head of the business side.

But Jim is in over his head, and Jeanie is too emotional. They both need to go ideally.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I'm a fan, not an accountant. They don't give rings to teams based on their profit margins. So, yeah, as a fan if a team sucks, I don't get all hot and bothered with excitement that the owners are still making a tidy profit. But, hey, if you are a charter member of the Donald Sterling Profit Maximizi
ng Fan Club, that's your business.

Of course VLF is using that angle. Jim is doing a great job making the lakers' money. Gotta give him credit for something, right? He won't use the winning angle, because that doesn't play. Although he might go to the VP of basketball operations (aka getting Jerry and Mitch their starbucks every morning) angle when Jim had that title during the shaq/kobe and kobe/pau years.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

Lakersnation.com had an article titled "Lakers Nation Roundtable: Is It Time To Move On From Jim Buss And Mitch Kupchak?"

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-nation-roundtable-is-it-time-to-move-on-from-jim-buss-and-mitch-kupchak/2017/01/19/

They had short opinion pieces from 5 or 6 people that write for Lakersnation. Not stellar credentials of being past GM's or anything, but they were able to express coherent arguments for or against
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I'm a fan, not an accountant. They don't give rings to teams based on their profit margins. So, yeah, as a fan if a team sucks, I don't get all hot and bothered with excitement that the owners are still making a tidy profit. But, hey, if you are a charter member of the Donald Sterling Profit Maximizing Fan Club, that's your business.

Of course fans are upset. Fans want Jim removed, but the question is whether Jeanie wants Jim removed.
Jeanie wanted Jim removed to bring Phil on board.
Without Phil as a replacement and with the record profits from the KFT, it seems less likely that Jeanie would have much personal incentive to go after Jim, and even less likely that she would have the support of her siblings.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

Of course VLF is using that angle. Jim is doing a great job making the lakers' money. Gotta give him credit for something, right? He won't use the winning angle, because that doesn't play. Although he might go to the VP of basketball operations (aka getting Jerry and Mitch their starbucks every morning) angle when Jim had that title during the shaq/kobe and kobe/pau years.

I never said the bolded, that is of your own creation and goes right along with the fantasy ideas of this thread. Jim was involved when the Lakers won titles and when the Lakers are in the lottery. Since 2005 he has been the final decision maker and that included winning titles and being in the lottery. It is when some try to separate those eras that the fantasy begins. Because it is the same personnel team that won titles and that selected players in the lottery.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

To be fair, Dr. Buss was the final decision maker on pulling the plug on the Rudy T situation, much to Jimmy's chagrin.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Jeanie wanted Jim removed to bring Phil on board.
Without Phil as a replacement and with the record profits from the KFT, it seems less likely that Jeanie would have much personal incentive to go after Jim, and even less likely that she would have the support of her siblings.

My impression is Jeanie and Jim don't like each other, and she would love for him to be out of the picture, no matter who is brought in. That said, I also think Jeanie likes to deny personal responsibility for any problems, so she definitely wants someone in place who she can point a finger at whenever anything goes wrong.

I have no idea what the politics of the Buss siblings are. My guess is the whole outfit is as dysfunctional as it seems from the outside.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I don't pretend to be able to parse out credit individually to members of the front office. I find those who think they can are usually ridiculous; it's just a way to selectively blame/praise people they like or dislike.

That said, I think it's fair to evaluate the overall performance of the front office since Jim took charge, factoring in all the situations and challenges.

But, again, expecting fans to get all excited about the teams profit margins is silly too. That's important to the extent it allows the team to make good decisions, but it's ridiuculous to suggests fans should think their team is successful if it sucks on the court but is still making money. That's the kind of thing someone says if they want to argue for the sake of arguing.

I didn't get that from his post.
Fans don't care about profitability.
But the Buss siblings certainly do, and they are the ones who are going to judge whether Jim should be removed.
The KFT tour benefitted Jeanie's side at the expense of Jim's side.
It seems ridiculous for the Buss siblings to enjoy the profits of the KFT without taking into account how it hindered Jim's ability to improve the team, instead concluding that he should be removed.

I'm not saying that is how fans should see it.
I'm saying that is the perspective of the Buss family, and they are the ones controlling Jim's fate.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 9 of 25
Jump to: