PACERS -at- LAKERS – 1-20-17 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: PACERS -at- LAKERS – 1-20-17 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Finally…A Win Again… There were no 40-point quarters for opponents in this one. In fact, no 30-point quarters. And what do you know? The Lakers pull off a win, 108-96, over the Pacers.

The two teams barely broke a sweat when D’Angelo Russell went down with an early injury that sidelined him for this one a probably more. The Lakers didn’t get rattled, dug in and got progressively better as the game went along.

Despite 14 first half turnovers, the Lakers only trailed by 2 points at the half. They got worked over in the post by Al Jefferson in the first half, and the Pacers were playing to their name…pushing pace right down the Lakers throat in early offense and transition before the D could match up.

Luke went into halftime and preached the need to get back in transition. The Lakers listened and responded. He also changed up his second half rotation, pulling Mozgov early to come back in later with the second unit to D up Al Jefferson. Mozgov locked him down. Both fires were put out.

Luke may have been our best offseason signing and certainly showed it tonight with the adjustments, but Brandon Ingram proved why he was the No. 2 pick in the draft.

He dominated a key stretch of that third quarter with two-way impact ball that rallied the Lakers to a double-digit lead. The kid, the teenager, defending Paul George like a vet and scoring big in the process during that third quarter stretch.

Seemingly everyone who got significant minutes contributed tonight.

“This is the standard for how we compete, how we play on defense, how we move the ball,” Luke said.

Perhaps, it started late in that last game, then carried over to practice, then to the court tonight. Whatever the case, the key is consistency. Show it to us again.

Russell -- -- A little over a minute in the game and Russell went down awkwardly on the perimeter and stayed down. A mild MCL sprain in the right knee and a strained calf. He eventually got up and was able to walk into the locker room. He will have an MRI tomorrow. “I’m all right. A little sore,” Russell said. He said he was going to wait for the MRI before drawing any conclusions on it. Hopefully, it doesn’t sideline him long. The Stats: He had 1 turnover in 1 minute and was a +2. The Action: Turnover when he was tripped with no call on the perimeter. Second Half: He did not play in the second half.

Randle -- -- Good energy out of the gates from Randle. He had 12 points and 5 boards at the half. He was one of the guys setting the tone early. We need that from him. Loved seeing him flex after muscling in a couple of layups through contact. All that kind of stuff that gets his adrenaline going and playing with energy, I’ll take. More please. Some foul trouble limited him in the second half. I’d like for him to watch how Tarik and Mozzy played on D tonight. The Stats: He scored 16 points on 7-13 shooting (2-3 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 4 assists, 2 turnovers, 1 steal, 1 block and 5 fouls in 35 minutes. He was a +1. The Action: He attacked across the middle of the paint for a jumphook and the Lakers first score. He swished a short jumper in the paint. He missed a long wing jumper, good looking shot, though. He rejected Young in the post. He pushed out the break, gave it up, it was fumbled back to him and he scored the layup. He missed a bank on a drive. He was fouled on a dunk attempt in transition, he made both FTs. Sloppy finish attempt, missing with his left (when he should have gone right) while fading in the lane after beating his man at the rim. He swiped a ball under the hoop and muscled in an And-1, he missed the FT. Wild forced pass trying to thread it to Ingram, turnover. He scored a layup off the interior feed from Mozgov. Second Half: He threw a post entry feed away to start the half. He hit Ingram for the three. He posted up, drew the D and kicked to Nick for three. He missed a turnaround in the paint. He regained control of a pass and hit the jumphook. He got tapped on a face-up step-back jumper on the wing. He muscled in a layup off the drive and dish from Clarkson.

Ingram -- -- I’m going to say that was his best game so far. He’s had those 17-point games, the near triple-double, but this one was some serious two-way impact ball where he imposed his will on the game. He dominated in the third quarter on both ends – a one-man rally that got the Lakers a double-digit lead. “We brought the defensive intensity and of course that led to offense and easy points in transition,” Ingram said. He was immensely disruptive on D, forcing turnovers, challenging at the rim on help D and disrupting Paul George from getting comfortable. “It was a battle tonight. He’s a great player,” Ingram said. Luke said he remembeed the first time George and Ingram matched up. “To see it now where he was way more up for the challenge and making plays shows a lot of growth on his part,” Luke said. He had some turnovers early on, but cleaned that up in the second half and then some. The Lakers won the third quarter 35-22. That changed the game. Ingram hit three threes, attacked the rim for scores in transition and half court, and hit from the midrange. Well-rounded, outstanding two-way game. Definitely worth re-watching that third quarter, Laker fans. My favorite play might have been the steal out of a timeout (that he forced on the Pacers). He swiped the pass bellying up on George, then instantly outlet on the money to Calderon for the layup. Beautiful. The Stats: He scored 15 points on 6-14 shooting (3-6 from three) to go with 7 boards, 2 assists, 3 turnovers, 3 steals and 1 foul in 33 minutes. He was a +14. The Action: He lost the handle on a drive. He deflected a pass in transition to get a stop. He missed an elbow pull-up jumper. He got knocked to the floor on a drive with no call (looked like both arms were hit). He missed a drive out of a timeout (the footwork to get to a strong finish, though, was done with some purpose). He sank a wing three. He missed an open wing three on a kickout. He posted up Ellis and used his length for an easy layup after getting a step to the middle. He attacked the paint, tried to shield the defenders, but couldn’t finish. Nice extra pass to Clarkson for the three. He was stripped on a drive. Second Half: Great challenge at the rim to get a stop. He then knocked down a three straight away on the other end. He took the advance pass, attacked with speed and scored the sweet backhand layup. He poked a ball lose to strip a man, pushed it out and missed the layup but we scored the easy putback. He then swished a wing three on a kickout next time down. After forcing a timeout with that rally, he swiped the ball on the next defensive stand and threw a pretty outlet right on the money over the D to Calderon for the layup. He saved an errant pass inbounds to get a stop. He missed a three trying to beat the shotclock. He worked off the wing screen and hit the elbow jumper. On the other end, he hit the floor to take a ball away. Great recovery again to George to either block the shot or deflect the pass and that forced another turnover. He got tapped on a corner three.

Mozgov -- -- I really liked this one from Mozgov. We needed him to put out the fire on Al Jefferson, who was lighting up our other bigs in the post. Credit Luke, too, for staggering his sub pattern in the second half to make sure Mozgov matched up with Jefferson off the bench. I love that from Luke. A lot of coaches we’ve had around here recently don’t make that change. Mozgov and Black helped the Lakers extend the lead with the bench (some excellent chemistry between those two). I’d really like to see those two playing together again. I know Nance is coming back, but Mozgov and Black looked nice. On the down side for Mozgov, he missed a couple of dunks (one he should have had FTs) and he was ridiculously turnover prone in the first half with 4. A center like him shouldn’t have that many, passes were bouncing off him and fumbled away or he was trying to force passes that weren’t there. We cleaned that up in the second half and Mozgov was able to help the bench offensively with some excellent screens as well as hitting the offensive glass. The little things on that end definitely had an impact. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-5 shooting to go with 11 boards (4 offensive), 4 assists, 4 turnovers, 2 steals, 2 blocks and 1 foul in 25 minutes. He was a +10. The Action: He hit Randle for the short jumper in the paint. Nice touch on a finish off the screen-roll. Bad post entry, turnover. He tapped out an offensive board, got it in the post and hit the short jumphook. He tapped out an offensive board. He was stripped in the paint, good hustle back in transition to get a stop and get fouled. He got hit in the head with a pass, turnover. He dripped another pass, turnover. Soft foul trying to take one in transition and he gave up an And-1. Nice interior feed to Randle off the two-man game for a layup. He spun in the post, then threw a wild pass, turnover. Second Half: Nice challenge on a drive to force a miss. He knocked a ball loose in the paint to ignite a break. He grabbed an offensive board and it led to an Ingram three. He forced Jefferson into a brick in the post. He choked a lob dunk. He missed another hammer dunk down the middle of the lane (looked fouled with no call). He stole it back on the other end. He got tapped on a wing jumper. He got another stop on Jefferson in the post. Excellent screen to free up Lou for a wide open three.

Young -- -- He went down with injury in the second quarter, hyperextended knee but was able to return to start the second half. “It’s a little sore but this win made it feel much better,” Nick said. It was hit or miss with Nick. He was splashing threes (making five), but he also had some great looks and airballed or missed a couple ridiculously badly in that half. “That tells me that man has unlimited confidence,” Julius said afterward. So true. “My teammates were messing with me out there. Lou Williams, Tarik Black, Jordan Clarkson,” Nick said, mentioning they were talking trash to him. Good effort defensively. Glad he could return and play on that after the first half injury. Big help in the win tonight. The Stats: He scored 15 points on 5-13 shooting (5-11 from three) to go with 3 boards, 1 assist, 1 turnover, 1 steal and 3 fouls in 26 minutes. He was a +15. The Action: He saved a breakaway blocking a shot. He swiped a bad pass and missed a pull-up in transition. He knocked a ball off his man to get a stop. He swished a wing three in early offense. He splashed another one straight away next time down. He missed a three dribbling to his left on a kickout. He missed a chuck from three. Second Half: He airballed a wing three. He swished a three on a kickout. He missed a three in transition. He attacked the paint and kicked out to Calderon for the three. He missed a three on a pull-back dribble. Great job to get an offensive board on a missed FT, he pulled it out, measured the three with time and airballed. He bricked a pull-up FT jumper. He made a wing three with 10 seconds left in the quarter, luckily the Pacers didn’t score. He splashed a wing three on a swing pass.

Clarkson -- -- He giveth and taketh away. So turnover prone tonight. He had 7 of the Lakers 23 individual turnovers. Asked how they could win with all the turnovers, ”Defensively, we forced them into tough shots,” Clarkson said. He had one of the plays of the game with a defensive attack that knocked a ball loose. He just kept after eventually coming up with it and taking it the distance for a dunk. He led the team with 5 steals, getting back a good chunk of those turnovers. When the Lakers can force turnovers and change ends, it sure makes a difference. He was misfiring offensively early, but started to warm up a little as the game went along. The Stats: He scored 12 points on 5-12 shooting (1-4 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 3 assists, 7 turnovers, 5 steals and no fouls in 33 minutes. He was a +5. The Action: He missed a tough drive to his right. He missed a drive down the middle. He traveled trying to work off the double-high screen. He lost the handle on a drive, Luke wanted a foul on the play. He missed a baseline jumper. He swiped a pass in transition. He crossed over, spun and scored the And-1 layup, he made the FT. He airballed a sideline three. He attacked the paint and threw it up and in. He drained a three off some great ball movement (basketball Gods approved). He missed a wing three on a kickout. Second Half: He didn’t hit rim on a three up against the shotclock. He cut down the lane and Black hit him for the layup. He attacked the paint and was stripped. He poked a ball loose, kept at it and out-hustled the Pacers to the ball to take it for a dunk. Poor pass on the two-man game, turnover. He attacked and set up Randle for the layup. He lost the ball on the baseline. He attacked and threw a wild pass away. Wild lob pass in transition, turnover.

Williams -- -- Big game from Lou. He was hitting threes and getting to the line like only he does. He had 10 of the Lakers 15 FTAs taking defenders to school. The Pacers had no answer for him. Asked what he saw out there, “I never think about it. Just whatever happens in that split second moment that’s just what I’m going to do. I don’t even see the person in front of me. At this point it doesn’t matter to me. The only thing I think about is if a team is going to push me right, I just take what’s given. Sometimes I may jab left,” he said. Just a killer with the game-high 27 in 29 minutes. He had some nice moments with Zubac offensively, but also used screens from Mozgov well. He probably played with all the bigs out there tonight and will have Nance thrown in the mix next game, too. The Stats: He scored 27 points on 7-15 shooting (4-8 from three, 9-10 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 3 assists, 3 turnovers, 1 steal, 1 block and 2 fouls in 29:32. He was a +4. The Action: He sank a three working off the screen to his left. He drew a perimeter reach and chucked for the three FTs, he made all three. He missed a floater at the end of the quarter. He hit Zubac on the two-man game for a layup. He swished a baseline fade in early offense. He snaked through the D with a low dribble and scored the easy layup. He bricked a one-hander after picking up his dribble. He found Zubac for a dunk with the pocket pass. He missed an easy one at the rim after losing his man. He slapped a ball away under the hoop to get a stop. He drew FTs against a big on the perimeter, he made both. Second Half: He gave it up under the hoop, relocated to the corner, got it back and hit the three. He was grabbed on perimeter for FTs, he made one. Bad foul in the backcourt giving the Pacers a two-for-one. He missed a flat wing jumper. He up-faked a man in transition and drew FTs at the three line, he made all three. He missed a wing three. He lost the handle on a drive. He sank a wide open wing three off the excellent Mozgov screen. Sweet change of direction off the wing screen and he scored the easy layup around the help D. His outlet was picked off. He iso’d with the shotclock low and swished the wing three at the buzzer. His missed a three off the post decoy sequence. He missed a corner three on a kickout. He missed a wing three.

Black -- -- Great game from Tarik. He had 7 boards in 8 minutes in the first half. Some good kickouts off those offensive boards but we couldn’t convert our threes. In the second half, I can’t praise him enough for some of his help D rotations. Just some excellent reads that helped the second unit lock down. Offensively, he was scoring around the rim. His postgame is very underrated. He blew past his man on face ups and spins for layups. He’s probably an unsung hero in this game with all the hustle plays but that second half D with Mozgov was one of the big keys. That team high +16 sounds about right. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 4-6 shooting (0-1 from the line) to go with 13 boards (6 offensive), 3 assists, 1 turnover, 1 steal and 2 fouls in 28 minutes. He was a +16. The Action: He pulled down an offensive board in a crowd a few seconds after entering. Another board to reset the offense. He was stripped in the paint. He couldn’t hold on to another pass on the roll. He missed a tip-in attempt. Nice interior feed to Zubac for the dunk. Second Half: He hit the jumphook off the bounce pass in the paint. He posted up and hit Clarkson cutting for the layup. Nice head and shoulder fake, quick step baseline and he powered in an And-1 reverse, he missed the FT. He missed a putback jam, recovered it and it led to a three. He stutter stepped, attacked left and scored the layup. Quick spin in the post and he scored the reverse.

Zubac -- -- “I think it’s good for young guys to get busted up a little bit. Al’s been doing that to people a long time,” Luke said. Zubac came in late in the first quarter and had to cover Jefferson, who has a pretty diverse post game. After a few scores, he and Black switched, so Al worked on Tarik instead for a while, then Zubac again. Finally we brought Mozgov in to D up. Luke felt Zubac had a couple of good defensive stands against him even though he scored. In the second half, we staggered our subs so that Mozgov played with the bench instead of Zubac. Ivica didn’t get in again until a minute left. He hit a little runner and dunked off an interior pass for his scores. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-2 shooting to go with 1 board and 2 fouls in 6:25. He was a -5. The Action: He hit the quick floater off the two-man game. He dunked off the interior feed from Black. Second Half: Nothing to report.

Huertas -- -- In with 37 seconds just to make me have to write up a second for him. Thanks, Luke. The Stats: He didn’t shoot or score in 37 seconds. The Action: He did not play in the first half. Second Half: Nothing to report.

Robinson -- -- Randle had a little bit of foul trouble in the second half so T-Rob got some brief action. Not much to report, however. The Stats: He had 1 board, 1 assist and 1 foul in 2 minutes. He was a +0. The Action: He did not play in the first half. Second Half: He kicked out to Lou for a three.

Calderon -- -- He hasn’t struck me as much of a bench player. It seems like he needs to get warmed up and plays better as that happens. Russell’s injury got him in the game early and he made an impact late with some scores in transition and hitting a three. Again, seemingly warming up as the game went along. Good job moving the ball, nothing flashy but he led the team with 6 assists. Defensively, he was average (a couple of moments forcing turnovers but also a couple getting scored on easily). The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-7 shooting (1-4 from three) to go with 1 board, 6 assists, 1 steal and 3 fouls in 19:28. He was a +2. The Action: He missed a wide open wing three. He forced his man into the air to throw it away. He airballed a corner three. He fouled a three shooter (who then missed all three FTs). He missed an open 20-footer. Second Half: He missed a three straight away. He follow tipped in Ingram’s miss on the breakaway. He busted out off the Ingram steal, took the long outlet and scored the layup. He sank a rainbow three off the kickout from Nick. He setup Black for an easy score in the paint.

World Peace -- -- He came in with 21 seconds left in the half for Mozgov. Then in the final minute of garbage time. Nothing to report. The Stats: He didn’t score or shoot and had 1 turnover in 0:59 of action. He was a -2. The Action: Nothing to report. Second Half: He kicked a ball out of bounds off the dribble.

Walton -- -- Russell was injured barely a minute into the game. He went to the locker room, so Calderon in… Clarkson and Williams in for Calderon and Young… Zubac in for Randle, Lakers up 2 with 2 to go. Nick also in for Ingram. So Zubac, Black, Young, Clarkson, Lou lineup to close the quarter… The Lakers led 27-24 after the first quarter… Calderon in for Young… Randle in for Black, Lakers up 5 with 9:22… Al Jefferson picking on Zubac and Black in the post… Mozgov back in for Zubac with 8 minutes left. Nick also back in… Clarkson out for Ingram, Lakers down 3… Nick out with injury for Clarkson. Lou out for Calderon shortly later… The Pacers started taking advantage of pushing the pace while we do a horrible job matching up in transition. They were on the Lakers heels in seconds… The Lakers trailed 53-51 at the half… Ingram with a one-man rally and we took a 5-point lead forcing a timeout. Then out of a timeout, he stole the ball and hit Calderon for a layup… A 12-0 Laker run to take a 10-point lead… Clarkson in for Young… Robinson in for Randle. Lou in for Calderon… They forced a timeout up 12… Luke staggering his bigman rotation here differently with Mozgov out early, then bringing him back with 2 minutes left to match up with Jefferson… So Mozgov, Robinson, Young, Clarkson, Lou, briefly then Black back in for Robinson… The Lakers led 86-75 heading into the fourth… Mozgov, Black, Young, Clarkson, Lou to start the quarter… They pulled out to a 94-77 lead, forcing a timeout… The Lakers were up 18 when Randle returned with 7:41 for Mozgov, who played excellent with Black… Ingram back in for Young up 17… They cruised to the win. Good contributions from everyone tonight…

Last edited by DancingBarry on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject:

First
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! I still crack a smile when the crowd gets loud when Metta comes in. Maybe some help form the Pacer fans?
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject:

Thanks!

Great game and awesome second half. Knew Zu was in trouble when I saw him matched up with Jefferson. Jefferson has so many moves it's tough for a rook.

Ingram was a beast and was in George's head in that third quarter. Great job by he entire team to move their feet and rotate and get their hands into the passing lanes. More of that please.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I’d like for him to watch how Tarik and Black played on D tonight
Double the Tarik tape for Mr. Randle
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject:

Fixed.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Fixed.

As always, thanks for what you do, DB!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Awesome to see BI transform from lost and frail looking rookie kid into a force to be reckoned with who can shut down Paul George and take over a game, in just 3 months. He sure doesn't play frail, and it's clear he's not lost out there anymore!! He just keeps getting better and better.

Hope DLO and Nick are OK. Kudos to Lou Williams for carrying the load when we need him.

Great to see the Lakers finally put another game in the win column!
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB.

I'm glad how Ingram is progressing. I hope Russell will be fine. I just want a whole season without these weird injuries.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!

I LOVE BASKETBALL!
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

I fell asleep watching this game in the second half and woke up and saw the Lakers won I see I didn't miss much.

Pacers aren't good on the road.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

As much as Luke likes playing small lineups, I like that he was willing to go with a Black/Mozgov combo at the 4 and 5 for a while this game, to counter Jefferson/Turner. It seems to have worked quite well, and coincided with the stretch where BI kicked butt vs. PG. I wonder if we'll see more of this in those games where we're getting killed inside early on.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

Nice to have a win again.
Great to see how Ingram is progressing.
Terrified to see first DLO and then Young go down.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Was Deng on or off the court - lmao!!!

Kids have potential

When will the multimillionaire kids be professional NBA players on the court?
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Was Deng on or off the court - lmao!!!

Kids have potential

When will the multimillionaire kids be professional NBA players on the court?

I didn't think about Deng at all until I read you reminded me he was on the team
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: