How L.A. Lakers Should Address Each Area of Need at the NBA Trade Deadline

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: How L.A. Lakers Should Address Each Area of Need at the NBA Trade Deadline

Hey all,

Here's my first slideshow at Bleacher Report:

How L.A. Lakers Should Address Each Area of Need at the NBA Trade Deadline
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2687679-how-la-lakers-should-address-each-area-of-need-at-the-nba-trade-deadline

Also, a couple of links from the past week of note:

Lakers Talk Host Allen Sliwa talks about D'Angelo Russell "poking the bear" in Damian Lillard in the loss to the Blazers. Allen talks to Lead Lakers Reporter for Bleacher Report Eric Pincus about the idea of tanking for a top pick. Pincus explains what the new CBA means to the Lakers.
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=18456250

. [ at ] Suns Coach @Earl_Watson on Hollywood Hoops @UCLA 'greatest thing that ever happened to me' w/@JoshMartinNBA
https://soundcloud.com/eric-pincus/earl-watson-ucla-greatest-thing-ever-happened-to-me-hollywood-hoops

Cheers,

Eric
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

With Zubac expected to get the bulk of minutes at the back up spot.. Black and Robinson will have a decreased role unless Mozgov gets traded.

Interesting to see who might get moved with TD approaching.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

lakers success has always been penned by having the best center in the game paired with the best guard in the game

Mikan and Martin
Chamberlain and West
Kareem and Magic
Shaq and Kobe
Gasol and Kobe

TRADITION MUST CONTINUE....

who are the best Bigs in the Game and the best Guards in the game currently
BIG'S
Davis
DMC
Embiid
Drummond
WhiteSide

GUARDS
Klay Thompson
James Harden
Russell Westbrook
Steph Curry
Kyrie Irving
John Wall
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

they should trade for picks. Lou's contract is attractive for a lot of contending teams.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

"a lot" is actually a very small number because there are really only the Warriors, Spurs and Cavs - with the Raptors, Celtics, Clippers and Rockets hanging around the fringe. No one else is really in their window - maaaaaaybe the Grizzlies but that's a stretch
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

CBS rumored that the Hawks discussed Howard to the Pelicans for Millsap. Pelicans looking to protect Davis with Asia not doing well. Maybe the Lakers could gauge interest in Mozgov or Black, maybe acquire Holliday as part of a deal.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Nice breakdown of the options.

Lou or Tarik might be valuable to a playoff team, but we need them too. Probably not optimistic resigning them in 2018 though. So the FO has to make a decision sooner or later.

Do you want Deng, Mr. Thibodeau? A third team can have Rubio. Gay(injured)+ filler to Lakers, Rubio to SAC, Deng to MIN. I just want to clear salaries.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244616/Wolves-Actively-Looking-For-Ricky-Rubio-Trade

Anyway, they have to dump one of Deng/Mozgov. Maybe in summer. Flexibility down the road is more important than whatever Deng/Mozgov contribute.

Last edited by LaxT on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:

It's hard to imagine that Mozgov with his contract would find takers. And I guess Lakers would not part with Randle yet.
Then it is only Clarkson/Young/Lou paired with Black/Robinson on the block from us.
Not much to play with and only worth exploring if we get a legitimate all-star back.

You are right that "it doesn't hurt to explore opportunities" but the opportunities are tiny.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
"a lot" is actually a very small number because there are really only the Warriors, Spurs and Cavs - with the Raptors, Celtics, Clippers and Rockets hanging around the fringe. No one else is really in their window - maaaaaaybe the Grizzlies but that's a stretch

Boston has the assets to further improve. I am not sure others can compete with the big three.

The league has always been imbalanced; that is not an issue. The issue is mobility. Fans want hope, they need hope. While the league's competition committee wants to keep the games competitive, I am not sure the new CBA does that. More likely it discourages mobility and make the standings more static.
augus7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

What about teams who just desperately need bench scorers?
Washington's offense is heavily reliant on Wall, they could use a player that can consistently produce points. I don't know much about their assets, though.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Lakers may find fringe trades from anywhere but teams that are really giving up value (esp. in the draft) for vets are teams that are really pushing to take advantage of their window.

Giving up a pick to get knocked out in the first round isn't a high priority in most cases
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject:

Like the Hawks, shouldn't the Lakers worry about losing assets in free agency? I am thinking about Lou, Tarik, Nick. To trade is to find a team where our player is more valuable to them than to the Lakers. I am not sure that is the case here. But again the Lakers is already short in assets; they cannot afford to losing one for nothing. I got the impression that Luke and the FO like the current squad. I guess they will do trades in summer due to team chemistry.
Vesper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject:

Losing Nick Young would be huge for us.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

augus7 wrote:
emplay wrote:

What about teams who just desperately need bench scorers?
Washington's offense is heavily reliant on Wall, they could use a player that can consistently produce points. I don't know much about their assets, though.

Only way we get much for Lou or Nick is if some team sees them as the final piece to give them a clear shot at a ring. That isn't Washington. They might trade for them, but they're not going to overpay.

Atlanta was able to get a first round pick for Korver only because Cleveland is going after another ring. No one else would offer more than a second round pick.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Good stuff!

I would say that there is very little possibility of us moving any of our young guys.

DLO - Still a bit of baggage and you aren't going to get anything in return that has = upside

Ingram - Obviously not

Randle - Has progressed this year, despite recent poor games

Nance - Injured and Injury prone and an "older" prospect...won't get much for him.

Clarkson - Not perfect, but cost controlled at a reasonable level and can score

Zubac - Hell no

Nobody is going to rent Nick for the last half of the season IMO and nobody is going to take on either the Deng Contract (Thibs is pretty smart, regardless of the way he looks on the sideline) or Mosgov (overpaid by a lot, no defense, no rebounding). Nobody wants robinson, huertas, MWP or Calderon.

The only move I could possibly see would be Lou or Lou + Black to a contender. I could also see Lou + unprotecting our pick for Noel. I don't see unprotecting our pick because there is going to be a 20%ish chance we keep it...maybe more...based on the way we are playing. Noel is also not our defensive savior, our problems go way beyond just having a defensive C...we don't have more than 2-3 players on our team that are "good" defenders.

That just leaves Lou to be traded and it would have to be to a team that is relatively close that lacks some scoring and has enough good defenders to make up for Lou's deficiencies there. To me that leaves only really one team possible - The Spurs

Lou

For

Dejounte Murray (probably a better guard defender than we have on the roster and can shoot a bit)

+

Some 2nd rounders to make the trade work.

Given LA/SA history they more than likely will never make a trade...and I'm sure the Buss family wouldn't want to help SA in their quest this year, but that's the only possible option I see. I think we are just going to stand pat.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject:

I'm not getting my hopes up on a trade, especially when we aren't known to make them during the season, or maybe emplay can give me hope lol
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Mitch is an extremely conservative GM
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Mitch is an extremely conservative GM

So he's Opportunitisc. he looks for value and change, but I don't see the Lakers doing anything simply because they always seem to have that personality of "let's wait until summer to evaluate". when we were losing the last 3 years we couldn't even unload our best assets.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Eric, if PG13 doesn't make an ALL NBA team after this season, would he still be elgible for the DPE?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Paul George and Blake Griffin:

MVP in any of the last 2 years? No - they have to win league MVP to qualify.

DPOY this season would trigger it or if they reached that twice the last two years = nope

All-NBA 1st, 2nd or 3rd:

PG = 2015-16 - needs it in 2016-17 to qualify

BG = 2014-15 - needs it in 2016-17 to qualify

PG would have an issue with an extension during next season but would be eligible as a FA in 2018 if he reaches any of the criteria through the 2017-18 season.

Same with Blake who can opt in and try to get there but I don't believe he does - I expect Blake to be a FA this summer
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Ok thanks.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:

I listened to your podcast the day after the "poking the bear" nonsense. Really measured stuff, emplay! Was refreshing to hear that.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject:

Lakers will not trade Russell, Randle, Ingram, Zubac those guys are not going anywhere. Nance & Clarkson may be on this list too.

Mosgov & Deng will not bring much due to contracts though they may be traded in a deal where we get back a similar big contract.

World Peace - No Value

That leaves Black, Young, Williams may have some real value.

Minimal value: Robinson, Huertas, Calderon

Cap Space: May be some value but less so due to cap rising.

Young has an expiring contract and has been playing really well so he could be attractive to a team needing a SG/SF. We would be giving up a key piece of the team however so we would really need to get something good back.

Williams: Instant offense and has shown real PG skills in Luke's offense. Again a good contract and a PG/SG type that is very attractive. We would really need to get back a lot because he is important to the team this year and next with a great contract in today's environment.

Black: His game is really taking off and he has a good contract too. Not sure how much value he brings back and he may be smart to let his value rise before considering a trade with him.

Probably not going to trade Williams and Young but one could go in the right deal. Williams to Philly for our original pick or one of their young bigs makes some sense.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject:

Excellent Article

Since the Lakers are not "one player away" from being a legitimate title-contending team (adding any of the star players will not do it), Mitch is still rebuilding and reshaping the roster

Seemingly, a transaction involving Deng (at the trade deadline or during the off-season would be the first option. Considering Deng's strength as a defender and the Lakers' lack of defense, this is an odd situation.

Maybe Deng is playing the wrong position. Interesting that Luke hasn't played Deng with four youngsters - maybe at the 5, at this stage of his career.

Mosgov is better suited playing with defenders that can consistently execute a defensive scheme(s) - ala Spurs or Grizzs. A more athletic Big is needed to wipe out mistakes like a Rudy Gobert (would he be a dramatic upgrade for this Laker roster - probably not given the many straight blow-by given up by the perimeter players and this team's inability to help the helper

The seemingly logical choices to explore first would be MN and Philly for the reasons already stated. Know that Mitch is gathering assets and resources to make a strategic (not a desperate) move
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: