The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 874, 875, 876 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Plus ADs injuries aren't of the stress from weight bearing variety

I'm of the school of, once major injury, always injury prone. Sure, not always weight bearing... but

... Ankles, Back, Lower Back, Hamstrings, Knees, Toes, Quads....

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/anthony-davis-player-injuries

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Point being he didn't really bulk up until 2015. He ended his rookie year at 212. His biggest jump was 12 pounds up to 253 in 2015. He was just as injury prone as a gangly rookie as he was last season. He's at his biggest right now and he's on pace for his healthiest season. I don't disagree that a quick bulk isn't the best idea but coming from someone that lifts religiously and bulked himself, it's an awfully broad stroke.
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Lal0821 wrote:
danzag wrote:
LakerEric wrote:
I love Julius' game except his touch around the basket. He seems to just toss it up so violently. I really hope he can fix this. Maybe he won't but he does so much on the court positively that it's frustrating.

He twists his entire body trying to do a layup. It's ugly AF.

He does a scissor kick on almost every layup attempt

He does that for a reason, but I didn't figure it out until I saw him up close: Randle actually tries to finish UNDER defenders: he jumps up in the air & tries to hold the ball as long as he can a la Jordan or Kobe, then tries to find an open spot on the backboard to finish off of with English. On his worst days, it doesn't go in. On his best days it does. But not exactly what you'd expect from your 4 man.
Lal0821
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:
Lal0821 wrote:
danzag wrote:
LakerEric wrote:
I love Julius' game except his touch around the basket. He seems to just toss it up so violently. I really hope he can fix this. Maybe he won't but he does so much on the court positively that it's frustrating.

He twists his entire body trying to do a layup. It's ugly AF.

He does a scissor kick on almost every layup attempt

He does that for a reason, but I didn't figure it out until I saw him up close: Randle actually tries to finish UNDER defenders: he jumps up in the air & tries to hold the ball as long as he can a la Jordan or Kobe, then tries to find an open spot on the backboard to finish off of with English. On his worst days, it doesn't go in. On his best days it does. But not exactly what you'd expect from your 4 man.

But he doesn't almost all the time because he struggles to finish over long defenders. Kobe would do when he was surrounded and not every damn attempt inside the paint.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Plus ADs injuries aren't of the stress from weight bearing variety

I'm of the school of, once major injury, always injury prone. Sure, not always weight bearing... but

... Ankles, Back, Lower Back, Hamstrings, Knees, Toes, Quads....

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/anthony-davis-player-injuries

I'm w/ you on the injury prone-ness, but I see those as just bad luck and not weight bearing. If I'm not mistaken, his knee injuries have been just banging his knee into stuff, quads the same, sprained ankles..
Seems like a lot of bad luck
Jakanzi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Found Julius' shooting splits by quarter interesting: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/randlju01/shooting/2017

1st: 48.3%
2nd: 48.3%
3rd: 36.9%
4th: 66.7%
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Jakanzi wrote:
Found Julius' shooting splits by quarter interesting: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/randlju01/shooting/2017

that's crazy. I wonder what accounts for this. Probably a combination of lineups and mentality.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Jakanzi wrote:

that's crazy. I wonder what accounts for this. Probably a combination of lineups and mentality.

I think one big thing is that he sticks to his comfort zone in the 4th it seems. Outside of clock beating shots, you almost never see Julius taking jumpers in the 4th it seems like. I'll have to grab that data and confirm. He seems to take his jumpers early, like he's testing it out.

Btw, regarding data, I prefer the clean, simple format of Basketball-Reference but NBA.com Stats has some crazy data and segmentation options I don't think anyone else has.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Jakanzi wrote:

4th quarter could be explained by him running the 5 in small ball lineups = more space.

3rd quarter is odd, and I wonder if it's the explanation for why the Lakers' starters are better in the 1st than the 3rd (I think -- don't have the data on me). It could be he plays with less energy, the starters are just worse (so he forces things), or teams game plan for him? Not enough info to say.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

OK, I just ran it and confirmed my own eye test. Julius takes significantly fewer jumpers in the 4th, and significantly more layups. Check it out (from NBA.com stats)

So, there are 9 "shot types". Those shot types are:
- Alley Oop
- Bank Shot
- Dunk
- Fadeaway
- Finger Roll
- Hook Shot
- Jump Shot
- Layup
- Tip Shot

I combined "Fadeaway" and "Jump Shot" and assume those represent the percentage of jump shots taken and broke it out by quarter. I also tracked "Layup" shot types, as that is the type of shot Julius takes more than any other. So again,"Jumper" below is actually "Fadeaway" + "Jump Shot" shot types.

The highs are bolded, so you'll know when (which quarter) he took the highest share of shots that were jumpers versus layups. Note that the numbers below are not FG%, it is percentage of shots taken in the quarter by type.

As you can see, Julius takes the most jumpers in the first quarter, and that declines each quarter, where it hits a game low in the 4th. Meanwhile, you see the EXACT opposite effect on his layups, where he takes the fewest in the early going, and the most late.

1st Quarter
Jumper: 54.7%
Layup: 29.2%

2nd Quarter
Jumper: 43.3%
Layup: 35.4%

3rd Quarter
Jumper: 39.5%
Layup: 37.7%

4th Quarter
Jumper: 26.5%
Layup: 50.0%
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
OK, I just ran it and confirmed my own eye test. Julius takes significantly fewer jumpers in the 4th, and significantly more layups. Check it out (from NBA.com stats)

- Alley Oop
- Bank Shot
- Dunk
- Fadeaway
- Finger Roll
- Hook Shot
- Jump Shot
- Layup
- Tip Shot

I combined "Fadeaway" and "Jump Shot" and assume those represent the percentage of jump shots taken and broke it out by quarter. I also tracked "Layup" shot types, as that is the type of shot Julius takes more than any other. So again,"Jumper" below is actually "Fadeaway" + "Jump Shot" shot types.

The highs are bolded, so you'll know when (which quarter) he took the highest share of shots that were jumpers versus layups. Note that the numbers below are not FG%, it is percentage of shots taken in the quarter by type.

As you can see, Julius takes the most jumpers in the first quarter, and that declines each quarter, where it hits a game low in the 4th. Meanwhile, you see the EXACT opposite effect on his layups, where he takes the fewest in the early going, and the most late.

1st Quarter

2nd Quarter

3rd Quarter

4th Quarter

Again, it's possible in the 4th quarter he also just has more space to go for layups (and less need to settle for a jumper) due to playing the 5.

I'd be curious what his FG% is as a 4 vs. as a 5. It likely would correlate with his quarter breakdown.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

- Alley Oop
- Bank Shot
- Dunk
- Fadeaway
- Finger Roll
- Hook Shot
- Jump Shot
- Layup
- Tip Shot

1st Quarter

2nd Quarter

3rd Quarter

4th Quarter

Again, it's possible in the 4th quarter he also just has more space to go for layups (and less need to settle for a jumper) due to playing the 5.

I'd be curious what his FG% is as a 4 vs. as a 5. It likely would correlate with his quarter breakdown.

I'd buy that if the shot type share was more scattered to align with lineups. But there is a clear trend there. Over time, he takes fewer jumpers.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
tox wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

- Alley Oop
- Bank Shot
- Dunk
- Fadeaway
- Finger Roll
- Hook Shot
- Jump Shot
- Layup
- Tip Shot

1st Quarter

2nd Quarter

3rd Quarter

4th Quarter

I'd buy that if the shot type share was more scattered to align with lineups. But there is a clear trend there. Over time, he takes fewer jumpers.

That is true. He really only plays the 5 in the 4th, and the trend exists in the 1st 3 quarters as well. Passes the common sense test as well... with less time in the game, he's more hesitant about shooting.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Randle with a pretty casual 16/5/4 plus a block and a steal. Fouled a lot, but had a much better impact. He's back!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Good game tonight, no doubt the team feeds off of his injury. He needs to remain cognizant of that. I was glad Luke left him in with 5 fouls but he needs to learn that he can still defend and not pick up that 6th one.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Good game tonight, no doubt the team feeds off of his injury. He needs to remain cognizant of that. I was glad Luke left him in with 5 fouls but he needs to learn that he can still defend and not pick up that 6th one.

team full of vultures smh
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject:

JR touched on something that Tox and I were discussing in the game thread, they had a lot of TOs but when they come within the offense and trying to move the ball it is easier to live with them.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

It's so underrated how much contact he finishes through/has to finish through. Miles Turner was bumping him all night, so many no-calls.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

It just looks like at times he is not there. Going through the motions. A game without DLO, someone would need to step up a bit. Disappointed that he isn't trying to help fill that void. Wrong mentality. Sometimes he brings it and he is aggressive, other times he just seems super passive.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Randle was far from the problem today, he probably was the Laker who played the best game. That isn't saying much in a game like this, but he tried getting guys going.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Randle was far from the problem today, he probably was the Laker who played the best game. That isn't saying much in a game like this, but he tried getting guys going.

Why didn't he get it going more offensively? I don't know what his final stats were, but he was 4/4 for at least a significant stretch? There was a point where I was just hoping he'd start gunning and making plays like he's done previously.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm not saying he was a problem, just that I expect more from him.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Why didn't he get it going more offensively? I don't know what his final stats were, but he was 4/4 for at least a significant stretch? There was a point where I was just hoping he'd start gunning and making plays like he's done previously.

I think he tried to start doing that a lil bit, but then he started running people over
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I think he tried to start doing that a lil bit, but then he started running people over

Lol typical Julius

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Exactly. Even if he missed shots or failed, I'd be fine with it. Do something extra to pick the team up. Even if it was just all out hustle,

Also, there are times where he gets the ball in somewhat scoring position and he is not looking to score at all. I would just like him to play with the aggressiveness that he had in the Spurs game. Make or miss.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 874, 875, 876 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 875 of 1536
Jump to: