OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1760, 1761, 1762 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

I think I'm harder on Russell than other players because he is the type of player I hate playing against....talented, but doesn't respect his opponents enough to want to crush them...someone who is a front-runner. Someone who is too high maintenance. I look forward to the day he figures it all out...but in my opinion that is not a given because the problem is in his head.

I love Nick Van Exel....Eddie Jones...Kobe was brash but he backed it up after year 1! I couldn't stand how talented Odom was but he seemed to coast...he had that 6th man of the year season....but he was greater than he seemed to know....so its hard to build around those types of players. They are productive...but they cannot be handed the keys to the franchise.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
So...if Dlo is our point guard....and you replace him with a rookie hybrid point forward you think the transition will be smooth? Really?

This game was horrible...but I would like our coach to have starters that set a tone....not just 5 players that start a game. This definitely does not prove my assertion....but we have several more games to go..m

When we've replaced him with a veteran, pure PG who started in the NBA last year, we get outscored by 23.2 points per 100 possessions, which is a 31 point difference from when it's Russell with the starters instead.
like it was pointed out....Calderon was a + or -2...
If I were Luke I would reconfigure the starting lineup when Dlo is gone. That starting lineup is really for him. He plays folks the same minutes anyway...why not bring a different energy?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
I think I'm harder on Russell than other players because he is the type of player I hate playing against....talented, but doesn't respect his opponents enough to want to crush them...someone who is a front-runner. Someone who is too high maintenance. I look forward to the day he figures it all out...but in my opinion that is not a given because the problem is in his head.

I love Nick Van Exel....Eddie Jones...Kobe was brash but he backed it up after year 1! I couldn't stand how talented Odom was but he seemed to coast...he had that 6th man of the year season....but he was greater than he seemed to know....so its hard to build around those types of players. They are productive...but they cannot be handed the keys to the franchise.

Just gotta be patient. He's maybe played 1/10 of his total career by now.
A decade from now, you may be complaining about a new Laker lotto pick for not bringing it the way a 30 year old DLO does.

I like that you acknowledged you are hard on him. And I like that you brought up other Lakers players you had this problem with. Paints a clearer outlook of what you do and don't like in NBA players.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
So...if Dlo is our point guard....and you replace him with a rookie hybrid point forward you think the transition will be smooth? Really?

This game was horrible...but I would like our coach to have starters that set a tone....not just 5 players that start a game. This definitely does not prove my assertion....but we have several more games to go..m

When we've replaced him with a veteran, pure PG who started in the NBA last year, we get outscored by 23.2 points per 100 possessions, which is a 31 point difference from when it's Russell with the starters instead.
If I were Luke I would reconfigure the starting lineup when Dlo is gone. That starting lineup is really for him. He plays folks the same minutes anyway...why not bring a different energy?

Calderon's numbers with the starters are over the course of 5 games, including today's.

I agree w/a new starting lineup, but what do you mean it's for him? You mean Russell?
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dominator wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
The lineup that started this game....horrible. Luke was shown a winning formula and he has gone away from it. I guess with Deng back he is forced to start...but that's not a winning lineup. So you can say its dlos absence and Luke's experimental lineups that helped this horrible performance.

Here's your receipt.

LakersPimp wrote:
I think the team will improve without Dlo. He was clicking in the beginning...but I think the competition caught up and surpassed his energy. The other Lakers now have a better grasp of the offense and what it takes to be successful, while I think Dlo doesn't adjust quickly. So we shall see. I hope him watching for a little bit (again) helps his process into becoming a better player. I can see Ingram surpplanting him as the #1....sooner than he anticipated

If by "improve without DLo" you meant lose by 50+, then yes, you're correct

Won't matter to that poster.

well said
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:

I understand this, but it gets confounding when your dislike of his demeanor clouds your ability to judge his game.

Heck, I don't like Russell much as a person, based on the little that I know of him. He strikes me as a dudebro/(bleep) boi kind of guy, frankly. I just don't care, it's not like he's trying to date my daughter.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dominator wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
The lineup that started this game....horrible. Luke was shown a winning formula and he has gone away from it. I guess with Deng back he is forced to start...but that's not a winning lineup. So you can say its dlos absence and Luke's experimental lineups that helped this horrible performance.

Here's your receipt.

LakersPimp wrote:
I think the team will improve without Dlo. He was clicking in the beginning...but I think the competition caught up and surpassed his energy. The other Lakers now have a better grasp of the offense and what it takes to be successful, while I think Dlo doesn't adjust quickly. So we shall see. I hope him watching for a little bit (again) helps his process into becoming a better player. I can see Ingram surpplanting him as the #1....sooner than he anticipated

If by "improve without DLo" you meant lose by 50+, then yes, you're correct

Won't matter to that poster.

well said

Edit: understood with the explanation. But disagree with the previous assertion that the team plays better without DLO.

Last edited by yinoma2001 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:

Calderon's numbers with the starters are over the course of 5 games, including today's.

I agree w/a new starting lineup, but what do you mean it's for him? You mean Russell?

I think he's saying the starters only work with Russell. When Russell is out, he should reconfigure that lineup.

I agree with that 1000%
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:

I think he's saying the starters only work with Russell. When Russell is out, he should reconfigure that lineup.

I agree with that 1000%

I'll be bummed out if Ingram is benched because of this game. I don't think that's the answer. I just don't see Luke benching Deng for him either.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:

I agree with that 1000%

Yeah, frankly, I might go with the bench backcourt as starters with him out, with ingram, Randle, and Mozgov. Bring black off the bench at 5 and 4 (and Zubac at 5), Deng at 4 and 3, Young at 2 and 3, and calderon at 1.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:

I agree with that 1000%
Replacing Young with Lou or Deng with Ingram (w/ calderon at the 1) wouldn't make much difference though. You'd have to break up the Randle/Mozgov pairing to radically change the chemistry of the starting unit.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:

I agree with that 1000%

Why should Russell be saddled with the crap just because he can throw some air freshener on it?

When he comes back, Deng and Moz should be on the bench. If they're out there scratching their butts, they may as well watch Lou/JC iso for their shift.

All we hear is chemistry of the bench, chemistry of the bench!!! How about fixing the chemistry of the starting lineup?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Or the starting lineup could be

Jose Calderon
Nick Young
Brandon Ingram
Julius Randle
Timofey Mozgov

And Deng come off the bench with

Jordan Clarkson / Marcelo Huertas
Lou Williams
Luol Deng
Larry Nance Jr
Ivica Zubac / Tarik Black

I mean that makes sense right?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

No way Luke benches Deng.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
tox wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:

I agree with that 1000%

Why should Russell be saddled with the crap just because he can throw some air freshener on it?

When he comes back, Deng and Moz should be on the bench. If they're out there scratching their butts, they may as well watch Lou/JC iso for their shift.

All we hear is chemistry of the bench, chemistry of the bench!!! How about fixing the chemistry of the starting lineup?

He doesn't just throw some air freshener on it, though. The starters are legitimately one of the best lineups with DLO in it. Surprising, maybe, but also true.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
Replacing Young with Lou or Deng with Ingram (w/ calderon at the 1) wouldn't make much difference though. You'd have to break up the Randle/Mozgov pairing to radically change the chemistry of the starting unit.
I think you need more playmaking, period. How many guys can create shots on this roster? Russell, Lou, Clarkson. Maybe Ingram and Randle? You can't leave it to a rookie 3 and a sophomore 4 to handle all the playmaking.

Lou & JC are prone to iso ball but at least they can attack and create space.

I don't like Calderon at the starting 1 either.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
He doesn't just throw some air freshener on it, though. The starters are legitimately one of the best lineups with DLO in it. Surprising, maybe, but also true.

There are 64 lineups league-wide that have played at least 100 minutes together.

The Russell/Young/Deng/Randle/Mozgov lineup ranks 21st amongst them in Net Rating.

That's crazy.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Lou
Young
Ingram
Deng
Randle

Calderon
Clarkson
Young/Ingram/Deng
Nance
Moz

No rim protection in the starting lineup, but that's nothing new for us anyway. The starting unit would at least be competent offensively.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:

There are 64 lineups league-wide that have played at least 100 minutes together.

The Russell/Young/Deng/Randle/Mozgov lineup ranks 21st amongst them in Net Rating.

That's crazy.

Out of the 48 games we've played this season. That lineup has only played in 27.
And that lineup NEVER plays in the 4th. When opposing teams often play their best lineup.
I think that lineup would have a + Net rating if it played more games together and played any minutes in the 4th together. But I seriously doubt they would rank 21st.
I may look up the records of the teams that lineup didn't play against (group A). And compare them to the records of all the teams we've played this season (Group B). I'm pretty confident the combined win/loss record of group A would be higher than group B.
I do like that lineup, but I think their numbers are inflated.

Last edited by kikanga on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:

I understand this, but it gets confounding when your dislike of his demeanor clouds your ability to judge his game.

Heck, I don't like Russell much as a person, based on the little that I know of him. He strikes me as a dudebro/(bleep) boi kind of guy, frankly. I just don't care, it's not like he's trying to date my daughter.
his demeanor totally affects his game! Kobe for example...people were mad he snitched...I didn't care because that whole season he balled! He didn't let anything come between him and his performance. Now Kobe is like 1 in a million...but say Odom ...he is an emotional guy...and his emotions affect his game...when he was content..he played well. When he was upset..he lacked focus. I don't care about dlo snitching on Nick Young...but you better ball and make me forget that you did.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:

his demeanor totally affects his game! Kobe for example...people were mad he snitched...I didn't care because that whole season he balled! He didn't let anything come between him and his performance. Now Kobe is like 1 in a million...but say Odom ...he is an emotional guy...and his emotions affect his game...when he was content..he played well. When he was upset..he lacked focus. I don't care about dlo snitching on Nick Young...but you better ball and make me forget that you did.

I said that his demeanor shouldn't cloud your ability to judge his game. It's natural to only see the bad in someone that you don't like.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
Lou
Young
Ingram
Deng
Randle

Calderon
Clarkson
Young/Ingram/Deng
Nance
Moz

No rim protection in the starting lineup, but that's nothing new for us anyway. The starting unit would at least be competent offensively.

Here are some of the rim protectors who might be available ahead of the TD:

Noel
Nurkic
Koufos
Bogut
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:

That's crazy.

Out of the 48 games we've played this season. That lineup has only played in 27.
And that lineup NEVER plays in the 4th. When opposing teams often play their best lineup.
I think that lineup would have a + Net rating if it played more games together and played any minutes in the 4th together. But I seriously doubt they would rank 21st.
I may look up the records of the teams that lineup didn't play against (group A). And compare them to the records of all the teams we've played this season (Group B). I'm pretty confident the combined win/loss record of group A would be higher than group B.
I do like that lineup, but I think their numbers are inflated.

Sure, there's some validity to that, but why does that lineup completely go to (bleep) as soon as Russell isn't a part of it? That lineup doesn't play in the 4th without him either, and it just got dubbed by 49 by a bad team.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:

I said that his demeanor shouldn't cloud your ability to judge his game. It's natural to only see the bad in someone that you don't like.
I am judging his game! He is so much better than how he plays. I don't think he sucks...I think he could be awesome...he just plays like he sucks. He plays lazy more than he should...im disappointed that we as Lakers fans are being cheated out of a really good player....by that same player.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

He is still young...and has time for redemption....but he seems to need prodding to become great...it starts here on LG!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1760, 1761, 1762 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next
Page 1761 of 2865
Jump to: