LAKERS -at- BLAZERS – 1-25-17 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- BLAZERS – 1-25-17 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Sorry guys, couldn't cover the game tonight. I haven't watched it yet. Post your thoughts and player comments here.

Thanks!
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject:

zubac-
nance-
louwill-
clarkson-
Randle-
Iversondalivest1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
zubac-
nance-
louwill-
clarkson-
Randle-

Its more enjoyable watching those 4 play.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Was really looking forward to your thoughts on Zubac tonight
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

God damned starters.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
God damned starters.

Yes due to this coupled with other reasons, I propose this.
LINK

Our bench is so good but our starters as a unit is not showing any promise and lacks athleticism.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
s_habe wrote:
God damned starters.

LINK

Our bench is so good but our starters as a unit is not showing any promise and lacks athleticism.

You do realize our starters are the 2nd best unit we have? They have a Net Rating of +7 per 100 possessions. Our starters "as a unit" show plenty of promise.

The problem is when any of the starters are out, especially Russell (the guy you want to trade), they fall apart. That +7 per 100 possessions? It drops to something like -30 when Russell isn't playing.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Nance is back? Nice
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

Sorry, my friend, crazy medical emergency at work today and I'm so beat down I had to punt tonight.

Looking forward to everyone else's thought on Zu. If I get chance, I'll watch and do Zubac's write.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Good luck DB. Your hard work is always appreciated. You deserve a night off every so often.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject:

I now know I'm officially on team tank. First I can recall that I rooted against some players on our team today. I was actually pissed when Lou and Nick knocked down those threes to bring us back into the game. The thought of us possibly losing our pick because two guys who have little chance of contributing to the long term success of this team getting hot was infuriating. Still wanted the young guys to do well, but I was actively pissed at Lou and Nick and was very glad to see Luke ice Lou. This isn't a good feeling for me. It sucks that we've been bad for so long that I feel this way now. Ugh.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Didn't catch the game but listened to the last few minutes.

Sounded a lot like the other games where we come back and tighten up and go on droughts where we can't score from 3 feet

Based on the lowlights video it seems like zubac earned some trust and the transition defense is an urban myth for the lakers
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Sorry, my friend, crazy medical emergency at work today and I'm so beat down I had to punt tonight.

Looking forward to everyone else's thought on Zu. If I get chance, I'll watch and do Zubac's write.

Zu is very promising for 19. (Yes, Gasol is a legit ultimate comparison.) His soft post moves are fairly unstoppable against shorter guys. He sets good picks, and takes up good vertical space. Everyone mentions that he doesn't track rebounds like he should. True. I noticed tonight that his foot speed up and down was pretty good. He shows quick moves on offense but he is a tad slow on quick D efforts. Overall, the speed of the game seems to be slowing down for him, just a tad. And he resembles the player implied in the summer league. Luke's comments after the game were very enthusiastic, focusing on how he has brought it in ptactices.

Last edited by JM on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Zu has had more of a paint presence the last few games than Mozgov has all season.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
diando wrote:
s_habe wrote:
God damned starters.

LINK

You do realize our starters are the 2nd best unit we have? They have a Net Rating of +7 per 100 possessions. Our starters "as a unit" show plenty of promise.

The problem is when any of the starters are out, especially Russell (the guy you want to trade), they fall apart. That +7 per 100 possessions? It drops to something like -30 when Russell isn't playing.

As good as that unit has been, don't you think DLo (and the team) would be better served playing more minutes in a quicker lineup mixed with 2nd unit guys that has better spacing and defensive coverage? Something like Zubac/Nance/Young or Ingram (would work best when his shot is on)/Clarkson/DLo?
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject:

Ingram, Mozgov and Calderón combined for 47 minutes and 0 points.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
diando wrote:
s_habe wrote:
God damned starters.

LINK

Last time I checked about a week ago they were our 6th best unit with at least 30 min
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
tox wrote:
diando wrote:
s_habe wrote:
God damned starters.

LINK

Last time I checked about a week ago they were our 6th best unit with at least 30 min

I think 400 minutes against starters counts more than that arbitrary 30 min cutoff. And besides, with that 30 min criteria, the #2 lineup is:

L.Deng, B.Ingram, T.Mozgov, D.Russell, N.Young
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
tox wrote:
diando wrote:
s_habe wrote:
God damned starters.

LINK

Are you guys telling me that the prospect of improving the starting line-up while keeping 4 guys in your young core guys and your monster bench intact is not intriguing? Russell (as he's not hitting the 3 consistently, seemingly building an injury history too) was playing like a less athletic Derrick Rose.
Moreover, the narrative of getting those guys or CP3 (off season) in the Luke Walton's system is not something to take a risk on. We need to start winning in Free Agency soon and frankly, I don't see Russell getting us there. Also, don't forget about getting out of those awful giant long contracts.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject:

Kudos to Luke for getting our kids minutes. It Zu's turn now. He is going to be a player.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject:

diando wrote:
s_habe wrote:
God damned starters.

LINK

Except that offense is hardly our main concern. It is getting stops and playing hard-nosed D.
Your trade proposal would make it even worse.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject:

Our players lost to themselves. That sequence of 11 straight missed shots during the 4th quarter was ridiculous. Growing pains, I guess.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject:

Zubac

12 points on 5-15 shooting (a lot of missed tips / putbacks) was bothered a bit by Plumblee.
10 rebounds (4 offensive)
3 blocks
2 assists
4 turn overs (a couple of passes from others too hot to handle)
2 personal fouls

Had a +13 for plus/minus for the game. Lou was a +1. All other Lakers were a minus for the game.

Decent game from Z. Tried to block Damon / CJ when they drove into the paint without much success but then again not many players do have success against those two. Held his own defensibly especially in the paint. Was a mixed bag when he got drawn out. I felt he did well against smaller players outside the paint but gave bigs too much space to get off jump shots.

Other notes:

Larry looked to pass as soon as he got the ball. It was almost as if he was saying hurry up and get this ball away from me. Very timid.

As noted earlier 0 points from Mozgov, Calderon and Ingram (0-11 but 10 combined rebounds along with 5 of our 16 assists).

Clarkson and Lou kept us in the game with a combined 53 points. When they were out the rest of the team struggled to score. Bench scored 71 of the Lakers 98 points.

Black came off the bench with little energy and Luke pulled him in a hurry putting Nance along side Zubac. Black wound up with only 8 minutes. Randle looked like he was not focused (again) and only got 20 minutes.

Deng's shot was off again as he was 2-7 while going 0-4 from 3 point range. Flat jumpers are a sure sign he is going to struggle.

Sorry I am not an expert like others on this board but those were my observations.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
nash wrote:
tox wrote:
diando wrote:
s_habe wrote:
God damned starters.

LINK

I think 400 minutes against starters counts more than that arbitrary 30 min cutoff. And besides, with that 30 min criteria, the #2 lineup is:

L.Deng, B.Ingram, T.Mozgov, D.Russell, N.Young

All these stats arent telling the whole truth when we're dead last in the west. If they were we could just roll with our best lineup and win games but thats not happening.

Also Dlo as of right now is a below average starting PG in this league. I mean he shoots under 40% and under 35% 3pt. A defrtg of 110.4 and a -4.5 netrtg. Not good
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

DB - hope that everything is ok

Deng - continues his consistency of leadership by being invisible offensively and defensively. He is taking PT that should go to the youngsters

Williams - remains to be the team's most consistent scorer

Randle - missing defensive assignments, not blocking out, unable to finish multiple times at the basket and basically lazy. Maybe he needs to go on maternal leave of absense till after the ASG

Black - if his "motor" is not revving at Kenneth Faried levels, he will be on the bench next Luke - again. He missed a golden opportunity with Randle's head is with his newborn child and his opposing number (Plumlee) is another version of himself - albeit bigger, quicker, stronger, more engaged

Zuboc - being rewarded for his hustle and presence in the paint. This kid is learning how to play in a man's game. When this 19 years old learns that playing with "mean intentions" is the way to be successful, the times that he is blocked will lessen.

Nance - in his "minute restricted" PT, his basketball IQ and maturity was on full display. He was a victim of just one of the numerous times the team was lazy, careless, not aware, alert and/or engaged in the game when he got injuries with nobody picking up his man

Ingram - hopefully he will learn that having Luol Deng as role model is NOT the right move. Word is out that making him very uncomfortable physically while giving him no space will quickly make him inconsequential on the floor. His next lesson is learning how to adjust how he is being scouted

Mosgov - his limitations were fully exposed when he is playing with players that consistency misses defensive assignments. With him not being involved and/or inefficiency on offense allows his opposing number not having to work very hard on defense

Clarkson - when his responsibilities are focused on scoring, his physical and mental errors have decreased. Good to see thatbhisneffortsbare comparable to Swaggy's efforts and success. Don't knownifnthiabassrssmentbisngood or bad

Calderon - put in a good efforts for a seasoned veteran with obvious defensive liabilities. Kept the team organized

The team does not have to worry about tanking since it will naturally lose because they don't know how to win. At the end of the game, their success earlier in the game with their 3pt shooting was their downfall. Their youth and inability to execute (score) with their open midrange shots display what they need to learn. Allowing straight line wide open drives to the paint is not acceptable. It will be fascinating to see which players will have the drive to succeed, learn from their mistakes, not being comfortable just putting in a good effort, become more aware/alert/engage and basically have the NEED to be better
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: