Carmelo Anthony considering waiving no-trade clause if Knicks rebuild

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Carmelo Anthony considering waiving no-trade clause if Knicks rebuild

'Melo: If Knicks choose to rebuild, 'I have to consider' waiving no-trade clause'

Carmelo Anthony has made his position clear. He wants to stay in New York, and to try to win a championship in New York, as a member of the New York Knicks, and he is not interested in waiving the no-trade clause in his contract to facilitate a move somewhere else just because the Knicks are struggling right now.

If team president Phil Jackson and company, though, were to decide to make their struggles, shall we say, a little more official? Well, then, the 11-time All-Star might ponder changing his tune.

Anthony has a no-trade clause in his contract, but he said he would be willing to listen to management if they told him they wanted to make a change.

“I think it will be more on the front office,” Anthony told Newsday this week. “I have the power, but still I would talk to them. We would be in communication if they feel like they want to go in a different direction, they want to start rebuilding for the future. If they tell me they want to scrap this whole thing, yeah, I have to consider it.”
The Knicks declined to comment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/carmelo-anthony-if-knicks-decide-to-rebuild-i-have-to-consider-waiving-no-trade-clause-222838641.html

Thoughts?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Carmelo turns 33 in a few months. His current salary is $24.5M, and it goes up a little the next two years. His productivity has slipped from its peak, though it is still decent.

Realistically, what are they going to get for him? The Knicks would want young players and draft picks. Who is going to fork over anything significant for an aging player who is just past his sell-by date and who has a big contract, even by the standards of the current market?

I've run through the list of teams in my head, and I can't think of any team that (a) would want him, (b) has the young players and picks that the Knicks would want, and (c) would send those assets to the Knicks for Carmelo. The Celtics are the best match that comes to mind, but Carmelo would seem like a poor fit for that team. I can't see any of the rebuilding teams dropping assets for Carmelo.

Maybe Detroit or Sacramento? I don't think that's what Carmelo has in mind. He is probably thinking that he would waive his no-trade clause to go to a contender.

I could be wrong, but I think the Knicks are stuck with Carmelo. They might be able to pull off a salary dump, but I can't see them getting much in the way of the rebuilding assets that they need.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Carmelo turns 33 in a few months. His current salary is $24.5M, and it goes up a little the next two years. His productivity has slipped from its peak, though it is still decent.

Realistically, what are they going to get for him? The Knicks would want young players and draft picks. Who is going to fork over anything significant for an aging player who is just past his sell-by date and who has a big contract, even by the standards of the current market?

I've run through the list of teams in my head, and I can't think of any team that (a) would want him, (b) has the young players and picks that the Knicks would want, and (c) would send those assets to the Knicks for Carmelo. The Celtics are the best match that comes to mind, but Carmelo would seem like a poor fit for that team. I can't see any of the rebuilding teams dropping assets for Carmelo.

Maybe Detroit or Sacramento? I don't think that's what Carmelo has in mind. He is probably thinking that he would waive his no-trade clause to go to a contender.

I could be wrong, but I think the Knicks are stuck with Carmelo. They might be able to pull off a salary dump, but I can't see them getting much in the way of the rebuilding assets that they need.

Agree. Their best option could be salary dump + tanking for a higher pick this year.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

What about Washington?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Knicks always give out terrible contracts which they always regret 2-3 years later. Melo will probably retire a Knick though considering he has all the power with his no trade clause.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

On the downside of his career plus his salary is going up? He's a Knick for the rest of the contract....
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps the Nets could send them their next 47 first round draft picks.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
What about Washington?

Good thought. The Wizards are a playoff team, so Carmelo might be interested in them. They aren't really a contender, though, so they might roll the dice on Carmelo.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

LOL @ Carmelo.

The Knicks have been in a constant state of rebuilding since 1973.

Bye.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

He's not just going to waive the ntc to any team.

I doubt any of his preferred destinations would trade for him
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Deng for melo straight up. Do it Phil. That's how you make up with Jeanie
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

LaLa loves New York. Happy wife, Happy life.

DON'T DO IT MITCH!!!!!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18561036/report%C2%A0knicks-clippers-discussing-trade-for%C2%A0carmelo-anthony

Knicks must be seriously considering rebuilding around Porzingis now....
Sucks for us, Clippers will be a beneficiery again.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: