2017 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 340, 341, 342  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Dodgers sign oft-injured reliever (and former starter) Brandon Morrow to a minor league deal. If he makes the team, will make $1.25MM. He actually has some upside if he can manage to, you know, actually pitch. As a no-risk deal, this is fine with me. Per Fangraphs, he did average 94.2 MPH on his fastball last season, albeit in limited work.

Must've made an impression on the sabermorons from his time against them in the AL East. It's a fair deal. He's better as a reliever than a starter due to his injury history and stuff. Probably as a replacement for Blanton. For a half second I almost read that as Brandon League and barfed (thankfully, Royals got him).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Dodgers sign oft-injured reliever (and former starter) Brandon Morrow to a minor league deal. If he makes the team, will make $1.25MM. He actually has some upside if he can manage to, you know, actually pitch. As a no-risk deal, this is fine with me. Per Fangraphs, he did average 94.2 MPH on his fastball last season, albeit in limited work.

Must've made an impression on the sabermorons from his time against them in the AL East. It's a fair deal. He's better as a reliever than a starter due to his injury history and stuff. Probably as a replacement for Blanton. For a half second I almost read that as Brandon League and barfed (thankfully, Royals got him).

With Holland off to the Rockies, I just think the Dodgers are going to go into the season with Kenley and hope that someone emerges as an 8th inning guy, kind of like what they did last year before finally settling on Blanton. If it's an issue, they will look to the trade market in-season.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

With Holland off to the Rockies, I just think the Dodgers are going to go into the season with Kenley and hope that someone emerges as an 8th inning guy, kind of like what they did last year before finally settling on Blanton. If it's an issue, they will look to the trade market in-season.

Which I'm ok with. Time after time, it's been proven that signing high profile bullpen guys are hit or miss.

We resigned Brian Wilson in 2014 after his ridiculous half season in 2013 and everyone lauded our FO. He proceeded to go into the tank next season and everyone freaked out about why we resigned him.

Same thing with Chris Perez, who closed for the Indians. Sucked for us and everyone freaked out.

Bullpens are just really finnicky and I'm ok with finding an in-house guy (that's not Baez unless somehow he becomes unhittable) or hoping somebody on the cheap works out (like Blanton last year)
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Which I'm ok with. Time after time, it's been proven that signing high profile bullpen guys are hit or miss.

We resigned Brian Wilson in 2014 after his ridiculous half season in 2013 and everyone lauded our FO. He proceeded to go into the tank next season and everyone freaked out about why we resigned him.

Same thing with Chris Perez, who closed for the Indians. Sucked for us and everyone freaked out.

Bullpens are just really finnicky and I'm ok with finding an in-house guy (that's not Baez unless somehow he becomes unhittable) or hoping somebody on the cheap works out (like Blanton last year)

Yeah, there are very few guys that work out long-term and they're always closers.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Yeah, there are very few guys that work out long-term and they're always closers.

Yeah, the last dozen years is proof of how streaky closers/relievers are. There have been so many flash in the pan guys that were the IT guy for 2 years then fall apart. If they were consistently dominant, they probably wouldn't be in the bullpen. Guys like Mariano/Hoffman/Eckersley are the exception. I think (hope) Jansen falls in that category.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Yeah, the last dozen years is proof of how streaky closers/relievers are. There have been so many flash in the pan guys that were the IT guy for 2 years then fall apart. If they were consistently dominant, they probably wouldn't be in the bullpen. Guys like Mariano/Hoffman/Eckersley are the exception. I think (hope) Jansen falls in that category.

One of the things I like about Jansen is his cutter is effective at 92-95. He doesn't need to throw 103 to get guys out.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

One of the things I like about Jansen is his cutter is effective at 92-95. He doesn't need to throw 103 to get guys out.

The big test for him with me was how he would come back after his injury. He was still dominant as ever. His willingness to go extra innings and do whatever it took, his rapport with teammates and him taking less money to stay in Dodger's blue were all just icing on the cake.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Bullpen guys are always a crap shoot, but they should be assembled based on the strengths of the team's defense and ability to strike out guys. There's always some guy that somehow has that great season or post-season out of nowhere. Case in point for those old enough to remember, Dennis Cook. He was a LOOGY with pedestrian regular season numbers but was absolutely nails in the postseason having never allowed a run, especially 1997. Dodgers need to develop some young guys to be those types of players.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
^ Lakers 4 Life made a pretty good list of pros/cons in terms of moves a few posts up.

Yeah I read the post. It's still underwhelming if you ask me. I'm not a huge baseball fan so I don't know as much as some of you here, but I don't see anything this FO has done that Ned Colletti couldn't have. Pardon my ignorance if I am wrong lol

I thought underwhelming was pretty much the general feeling of my post. The best thing Ned did was stay out of Logan White's way when it came to the draft. They had some misses, but overall you've got to be pleased with the work he did, especially since the previous regime really did a terrible job drafting players. Ned with trades and signings wasn't that great IMO outside of maybe 3 or 4 moves. This front office hasn't made a significant move yet.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

^^
As I've said before with Ned, he was working under incredibly difficult circumstances. McCourt wanted to win but wasn't willing to spend. So they were forced to make trades where we had to give up better prospects in order to trade for a certain player and have that team also pay for the acquired player's salary, in many cases. Obviously, there were some bad moves irrespective of that, such as signing Jason Schmidt. But considering the constraints he was working under, and if you look at the results with the NLCS appearances, I think it's very hard to say that he did a bad job.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Wilson got injured after signing and after that half-season, it was a no-brainer. Ex-closer who appears to have returned to form, plus chance to rub it in the rival's face was a bonus.

Chris Perez was never the same after the MJ bust.

I believe how managers run the pen tends to be a bigger factor than the individuals themselves. Roberts had essentially the same pen personnel as Mattingly but wildly different results because he put people in the right position and time.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject:

My list of possible relief pitchers that the Dodgers might have interest in, either on a 1-year deal or a minor league deal...

Relievers (Lefties in Italics)
Joe Blanton
Matt Belisle
David Hernandez
Fernando Salas
Tommy Hunter
Tom Wilhelmsen
Charlie Furbush (plus his name adds value for the comedy alone)
Jerry Blevins (seems likely to get a 2-year deal, though)
Boone Logan (also a good chance of a 2-year deal)

Two starting pitchers that could be interesting post-injury stash types are Henderson Alvarez and Nathan Eovaldi. Eovaldi would be a Kris Medlen-like stash, as he'll miss all of '17 recovering from TJ surgery. Eovaldi, you'll recall, was once Dodger property. Although since it was Logan White who drafted him in '08, I could see the Padres taking a stab at him. This is the second TJ surgery for Eovaldi, by the way, having already had the procedure in college.

Other the possible Braun deal that's out there, I think we're mostly done making moves, other than these reliever-type moves.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
My list of possible relief pitchers that the Dodgers might have interest in, either on a 1-year deal or a minor league deal...

Relievers (Lefties in Italics)
Joe Blanton
Matt Belisle
David Hernandez
Fernando Salas
Tommy Hunter
Tom Wilhelmsen
Charlie Furbush (plus his name adds value for the comedy alone)
Jerry Blevins (seems likely to get a 2-year deal, though)
Boone Logan (also a good chance of a 2-year deal)

Two starting pitchers that could be interesting post-injury stash types are Henderson Alvarez and Nathan Eovaldi. Eovaldi would be a Kris Medlen-like stash, as he'll miss all of '17 recovering from TJ surgery. Eovaldi, you'll recall, was once Dodger property. Although since it was Logan White who drafted him in '08, I could see the Padres taking a stab at him. This is the second TJ surgery for Eovaldi, by the way, having already had the procedure in college.

Other the possible Braun deal that's out there, I think we're mostly done making moves, other than these reliever-type moves.

Joe Blanton - possible
Matt Belisle - Spent time in NL East for only 1 year, unlikely
David Hernandez - Career 4+ ERA with time spent in NL/AL East, possible
Fernando Salas - Only spent one year in NL East, unlikely
Tommy Hunter - Spent time in AL East, possible
Tom Wilhelmsen - no Rays/A's/NL&AL East experience, nope
Charlie Furbush - no Rays/A's/NL&AL East experience, nope
Jerry Blevins - Ex A's player! HURRY UP AND SIGN HIM BEFORE I GET A CHUBBY. I DON'T CARE ABOUT LENGTH OR PRICE! OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG. MY POCKET PROTECTOR IS LEAKING - Pakistani George Costanza
Boone Logan - Spent time in NL/AL East - possible

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
dinlabreak wrote:
Dodgers just traded JDL for Logan Forsythe (Tampa). Forsythe has a high on base percentage, hit 20 homers last year, and can play multiple positions. He'll be next year's starting second baseman. Only problem I see is that he's a free agent after the season. So JDL for a possible 1 year rental seems kinda steep.

Oh, and Forsythe is an ex-Ray now, so I fully expect rwongega to flip out

I would expect most to. One of our top pitching prospects for a 2B who has only had 2 decent seasons. Desperation caused by position mismanagement and hard-ons for former players is what's driving this moronic FO in their decision-making. Clearly, they're hoping Forsythe can be a poor man's Ben Zobrist, but this guy has an equal chance at becoming the next Dustin Ackley. The continued waste of Kershaw's prime years continues.

I think you're incorrect. Forsythe has gotten the PT the last 2 years and he's a legit player. He's 6th in OPS+ and 6th in WAR among all second baseman over the past 2 seasons. Hard-nosed, too, like Utley. But not approaching 40. Absolutely mashes lefties, which is by far our biggest weakness. Yes, I like JDL, but he's going to be 25 this season. Dodger management likes not only Urias (obviously), but also Alvarez and Buehler more. So they think they are trading their 4th-best young pitcher in the organization. You have to give up something to get something. I get that you hate this FO, and I generally haven't liked most of their moves, but I like this one.

Hardly. Forsythe is at best an average 2B. He still has a very low and very dangerous floor. You're taking him out of the batting happy AL East (where an alarming number of his quality stats come out of). This is giving up to much seeing as it's our #2 prospect. They think they are trading their 4th-best young pitcher. They also think Brandon McCarthy was worth 4 years at $48 mil. Like I stated, there's a chance he could continue to do ok, but there's an equally likely chance he could bust. I would hope we can re-sign Utley for a platoon/bench role. I also hope if we can this FO, we don't wait until we literally turn into Tampa West/Oakland South before then.

Look, if you want to try to argue that he's going to turn back into the Padres version of himself, you can try to do that. But to say he's "at best an average 2B" just doesn't fall in line with his performance over the past 2 seasons. As I stated, he's 6th among all second basemen in WAR and OPS+. And OPS+ takes into account park factor. His home park is hardly a haven for hitters, ranking 24th in the bigs in 2016. He had also never received more than 350 PA's in any season before 2015, so don't you at least have to recognize the possibility that he just needed to play? The same happened with Justin Turner. Maybe he's a slightly late bloomer who just needed to play.

I like that we filled a huge need and that he helps to address our biggest weakness, hitting vs. lefties. We are going for it, and he was the second-best option that was realistically attainable. We still have a young stable of Urias, Buehler, and Alvarez in the pipeline, and it's not like we're going to just have a bunch of rookies in the rotation at any point. By the way, Baseball America actually had JDL as our 3rd-best prospect, while MLB.com had him as our best. It's not an exact science, and while you correctly pointed out their bad signings of injury-risk starting P's like McCarthy, I think Dodger management has done a pretty good job with prospect evaluation. I want JDL to have a good career, and I like the kid. But you have to be willing to give up something good to get a player who has amassed 8.4 WAR over the past 2 seasons. JDL wasn't going to pitch a lot of innings for us this season with an innings cap, and who knows where he'll be next season. Unlike the Lakers, the Dodgers are in a position where they might only be a piece or two away. Moves like this need to be made.

. . . O.K. so I'm a little late to the discussion. . . .

First, Forsythe, according to Baseball-reference, is signed for this year plus the Dodgers have the option for the next.

As a hitter, he does compare favorably with the best. OPS+ for the last two years:

Dozier (29.257) 120
Forsythe (30.013) 119
Kinsler (34.219) 118

dWAR average for the last two years:

Dozier: .4
Forsythe: .7
Kinsler: 2.1

Then there is this. In looking at UZR from Fangraphs, for 2nd basemen, last year Forsythe (-2.5) was not only behind Utley (.8) and Kendrick (-1.5), but also 61 other second basemen, of the 73 listed.

Forsythe for De Leon will be questioned by fans from both teams so it is likely a fair deal, as it looks today. Dozier for De Leon + another such as Verdugo or Bellinger, now that is a bad deal.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

One guy I wouldn't mind the Dodgers giving a 1 year or minor league deal to is Sergio Romo. Yeah, he's had injury problems last year, but he was one of the few in that Gnat bullpen who didn't implode much (1.86 ERA in Sept/Oct). A 1 year prove it deal wouldn't cost much and we'd have a battle tested replacement for Blanton in late innings. Plus, he's been a class act towards Dodger fans already LINK /LINK .

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
One guy I wouldn't mind the Dodgers giving a 1 year or minor league deal to is Sergio Romo. Yeah, he's had injury problems last year, but he was one of the few in that Gnat bullpen who didn't implode much (1.86 ERA in Sept/Oct). A 1 year prove it deal wouldn't cost much and we'd have a battle tested replacement for Blanton in late innings. Plus, he's been a class act towards Dodger fans already LINK /LINK .

If he gave us what Brian Wilson did in the first year, I'm ALL for it.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
rwongega wrote:

If he gave us what Brian Wilson did in the first year, I'm ALL for it.

Unfortunately, he played for the more successful Bay Area team so this FO will ignore any consideration it seems. But if his command is back, you could have to deal with Kershaw's curve, Romo's slider, then Jansen's cutter. Pretty much a lock win.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject:

^^
I wonder if Romo could be one of those rare righty relievers who doesn't have to throw hard to have a long successful run, a la Trevor Hoffman. Even when Hoffman's fastball velocity dipped below 90 (which was for a large portion of his career, honestly), his offspeed pitch, in this case, his changeup, was so good that it really didn't matter. Romo's slider is so good to righties that he might be able to get away with a diminished fastball, too. The issue, though, is that I think Romo is susceptible to left-handed batters. The slider isn't nearly as effective vs. lefties. Whereas with a great changeup, you can also get lefties out. Romo's average fastball velocity, per Fangraphs, dipped all the way down to 85.9 MPH last season, so it does have to be of big concern to teams looking at him.

So for that reason, I wouldn't view Romo as the ideal 8th inning setup guy. I'd prefer to view him as a guy you bring into the game in the late innings to get right-handed batters out. Indeed, last season, Bochy only allowed Romo to pitch 8.1 innings against lefty swingers, as opposed to 22.1 vs. righties. And even with the small sample size, he still allowed a much lower OPS vs. righties (difference of 116 points of OPS).
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^^
I wonder if Romo could be one of those rare righty relievers who doesn't have to throw hard to have a long successful run, a la Trevor Hoffman. Even when Hoffman's fastball velocity dipped below 90 (which was for a large portion of his career, honestly), his offspeed pitch, in this case, his changeup, was so good that it really didn't matter. Romo's slider is so good to righties that he might be able to get away with a diminished fastball, too. The issue, though, is that I think Romo is susceptible to left-handed batters. The slider isn't nearly as effective vs. lefties. Whereas with a great changeup, you can also get lefties out. Romo's average fastball velocity, per Fangraphs, dipped all the way down to 85.9 MPH last season, so it does have to be of big concern to teams looking at him.

So for that reason, I wouldn't view Romo as the ideal 8th inning setup guy. I'd prefer to view him as a guy you bring into the game in the late innings to get right-handed batters out. Indeed, last season, Bochy only allowed Romo to pitch 8.1 innings against lefty swingers, as opposed to 22.1 vs. righties. And even with the small sample size, he still allowed a much lower OPS vs. righties (difference of 116 points of OPS).

It's possible. Obviously a slider is not as effective against left handers but I think if he can get back to health, the FB can return to form. If not, there's a chance he could improve on his changeup (a coach like Honeycutt is as good as any to help in that regard).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject:

MLB top prospect lists have come out among various publications and the Dodgers have done well there. Granted, the Dodgers' top prospect is still from the previous regime, but it looks like the current front office has done a decent job of draft selection, but more importantly, player development. Verdugo, Calhoun, Buehler made the list along with former pick Holmes.

Yadier Alvarez also made the list as an international signee. Probably the only good international free agent they've signed. All of the others haven't panned out and cost the team a lot of money. Maybe a couple of them will eventually pan out, but the big money mistakes of Olivera, Arruebuena, Guerrero, and another I completely forgot, Sierra. Geez. They gave $30 million to a guy to potentially be a reliever and his control still stinks.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
That seemingly led to the Dodgers focusing on Dozier. After weeks of reported trade talks, Jose De Leon was agreed upon as the centerpiece of a deal. But beyond that the Dodgers and Twins remained at odds over a trade package.

According to Jon Morosi of MLB Network, the Twins sought Yadier Alvarez, Willie Calhoun and De Leon in a trade for Dozier:

http://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-trade-rumors-twins-coveted-yadier-alvarez-willie-calhoun-jose-de-leon-exchange-brian-dozier/2017/01/31/

LOL! Whatever, Twins. Can't blame the FO for this one AT ALL. I'd have crucified the FO if they'd traded all three of those guys for Dozier.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:
That seemingly led to the Dodgers focusing on Dozier. After weeks of reported trade talks, Jose De Leon was agreed upon as the centerpiece of a deal. But beyond that the Dodgers and Twins remained at odds over a trade package.

According to Jon Morosi of MLB Network, the Twins sought Yadier Alvarez, Willie Calhoun and De Leon in a trade for Dozier:

http://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-trade-rumors-twins-coveted-yadier-alvarez-willie-calhoun-jose-de-leon-exchange-brian-dozier/2017/01/31/

LOL! Whatever, Twins. Can't blame the FO for this one AT ALL. I'd have crucified the FO if they'd traded all three of those guys for Dozier.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

^^^
Twins mis-read the market big time, if so. They have to hope that a contending team loses their second baseman before the trade deadline and gets desperate.

Dodgers are definitely better off with Forsythe, Alvarez, and Calhoun, instead of just Dozier.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 4m
4 minutes ago

Source: Sergio Romo, #Dodgers agree on contract.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 4m
4 minutes ago

Source: Sergio Romo, #Dodgers agree on contract.

I'll give him a chance. Maybe he still has something left. Could be a good set up guy for Kenley. Local guy, too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 14 of 342
Jump to: