Breaking: The FBI is investigating the Cardinals for hacking into the Astros’ computer system
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
the association wrote:
rwongega wrote:
the association wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I think everyone from the owner down should he banned from baseball. Permanently.

What am I missing here ... ?

Justice.

Who escaped justice ... ?

This was not only a crime, but an attack on the concept of competition. No one involved, nor their bosses, should ever be allowed near the sport again. This is far far worse than Pete Rose betting on baseball.

Couldn't agree more.

I've forgotten after so many years, but was Rose found to have bet in favor of his team, or against his team? Or both, dependent on the circumstances?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
the association wrote:
rwongega wrote:
the association wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I think everyone from the owner down should he banned from baseball. Permanently.

What am I missing here ... ?

Justice.

Who escaped justice ... ?

This was not only a crime, but an attack on the concept of competition. No one involved, nor their bosses, should ever be allowed near the sport again. This is far far worse than Pete Rose betting on baseball.

Couldn't agree more.

I've forgotten after so many years, but was Rose found to have bet in favor of his team, or against his team? Or both, dependent on the circumstances?

He admits more and more as time goes on. He probably did bet against his team but he hasn't admitted that yet.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
the association wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Pathetic penalty considering the extent of the hacking that went on.

Which outcome do you find inadequate? Correa's loss of his liberty for over three years (plus a lifetime ban from baseball and an almost $300K restitution order), or the draft pick loss and $2MM financial penalty imposed on the Cardinals ... ?

I think the cost to the Cardinals org was pathetically low. It was basically pocket change.

They also knew this was coming down, hence their signing of Fowler to lose their first-rounder since they knew they were going to get hit this draft. They normally don't sign guys that cost them picks.

So it's believed others in the organization knew of his actions before he was charged ... ? If so, I understand the view that the penalty imposed on the Cardinals should have been more impactful.

As for the idea of banning individuals from baseball, I'm generally leery of vengeful ideas like cauterizing the career options for individuals unless they commit violent crimes (and typically serious ones), or they are clearly irredeemable in their risk of repeating their crimes (or other crimes) ...

Take a look at the Chron article I linked above. It has court documents embedded in it, along with the plea agreement. The guy should absolutely be banned from baseball for life.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:

What a joke of a punishment. Cardinals get off very light for the infraction. This is not sending the right message to the rest of the teams. St. Louis gets away with cheating like the New England Patriots and are laughing all the way. Loss of picks, huge fine, a ban from international signing by taking away all international bonus or just a straight ban, heck MLB could've just declared their top picks from the last few years while they benefited from the hack to be free agents with no compensation for the signing bonus.

Boston's other team caught cheating, the Red Sox, were hit a lot worse last year when they lost 5 prospects compared to what the Cardinals just got away with. Terrible decision.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject:

As a Cardinal fan I was expecting more of a punishment.

Is the 2 million dollars to go to the Astros draft signing pool? or just to the team?

Since the Cardinals don't have a 1st round pick they should have to forfeit next years. I think its only fair if its meant to be the first 2 picks.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
the association wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
the association wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Pathetic penalty considering the extent of the hacking that went on.

Which outcome do you find inadequate? Correa's loss of his liberty for over three years (plus a lifetime ban from baseball and an almost $300K restitution order), or the draft pick loss and $2MM financial penalty imposed on the Cardinals ... ?

I think the cost to the Cardinals org was pathetically low. It was basically pocket change.

They also knew this was coming down, hence their signing of Fowler to lose their first-rounder since they knew they were going to get hit this draft. They normally don't sign guys that cost them picks.

So it's believed others in the organization knew of his actions before he was charged ... ? If so, I understand the view that the penalty imposed on the Cardinals should have been more impactful.

As for the idea of banning individuals from baseball, I'm generally leery of vengeful ideas like cauterizing the career options for individuals unless they commit violent crimes (and typically serious ones), or they are clearly irredeemable in their risk of repeating their crimes (or other crimes) ...

Take a look at the Chron article I linked above. It has court documents embedded in it, along with the plea agreement. The guy should absolutely be banned from baseball for life.

Yeah, I get why Correa has been banned. And if others in the Cardinals organization knew of his actions before all of this came to light, I can get onboard with reasonable bans there, too. I just don't feel comfortable when we start throwing out "ban everyone who ever made eye contact with this guy because they must have known!" (intentionally exaggerating 24's point) or esp. when we start arguing that Correa's custodial sentence is insufficient ... I would probably oppose that point, too. Three + years of federal incarceration is a life effectively and irreparably destroyed for someone in that socio-economic stratum ... trust and believe, his life is in shambles, will remain in shambles, and his punishment seems plenty adequate for his sins.

As for Rose and whether he bet on his team to lose, that would obviously be a devastating revelation. But the truth is, even if he merely bet on them to win, he may have exposed players to physical injury along the way ... it's just bad all around with the betting angle.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

Eh, let's be honest here. It's not like the guy was going to send out job applications to MLB teams after finishing his prison sentence.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: