Mitch Kupchak needs to go
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
What's with the recent Jesse Buss love. It's funny how narratives can be influenced by the media (small written pieces, etc) in an instant. He gets linked with the recent picks and now he's loved.

This dude was getting murdered on here for getting caught pissing on the street a few years ago.

This is one of Jim's biggest failures. He didn't know how to play the politics and create his own narrative. It's important.

How exactly would you remove him from the narrative? Before he pissed in the street (there was another DUI on a scouting trip too, IIRC) the only really feather in his cap was Clarkson, which one could chalk up to luck. By adding Nance and Zubac to the list I don't think that's viable anymore.

Last edited by greenfrog on Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It has gotten Mitch to 4 titles, it is hard for me to complain.

More than 99% of the others GMs. But I guess Mitch is the wrong one.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yea because 99% of the other GM's have inherited Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'neal. My goodness, the length people will go to defend Mitch is amazing. Those are arguably two of the top 10 NBA players of all time.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Let's cling on to the past. That's a great recipe for success. Inheriting Kobe and Shaq got Mitch to 4 titles. It's clear what he can(not) do without a top 10 HOF. 4 straight lottery seasons is more relevant to discuss the performance of a GM over 4 titles.

Most teams that win championships, do it with hall of famers on their team. Without the game changing star, most teams are lottery teams. Lakers don't have that yet, they are a lottery team, but let's not act like the Lakers have scrubs on their team. Laker fans just don't have the patience to wait for development of our young players. We don't even know if the FO is constipating trading away one of our young players for a more established player. Right now, we are in a good position for the future.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
akk7 wrote:
What's with the recent Jesse Buss love. It's funny how narratives can be influenced by the media (small written pieces, etc) in an instant. He gets linked with the recent picks and now he's loved.

This dude was getting murdered on here for getting caught pissing on the street a few years ago.

This is one of Jim's biggest failures. He didn't know how to play the politics and create his own narrative. It's important.

So a Jesse Buss Piss and Moan thread would be appropriate.

I see what you did there 😂
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

This article from Ramona Shelburne surely has a LOT of bullsh*t.

She points that Mitch and Jim lost a lot of talent (Bazemore, Ariza, IT, etc.) because they were always waiting on superstars free-agents.
But then says that Jeanie wanted to have salary-cap space to... try to sign superstars, too. Isn't it incredible?

Using that Lakers-Cavs game (when Kaman lied on the bench after fouling out) as an example is also pure trash.
The team was destroyed by injuries and both Nick Young and Jordan Farmar went down that game. How's that on Mitch and Jim?
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yea because 99% of the other GM's have inherited Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'neal. My goodness, the length people will go to defend Mitch is amazing. Those are arguably two of the top 10 NBA players of all time.

What is incredible was that Jerry West was the GM that was able to get those two players here. Even more incredible was his ability to get them both in the same year.

West was a great GM. We were so lucky to have him.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
jim buss made a statement that he would step down if he didnt reach a certain marker........you cant now say i dont want to do that.....no trust in him
period of what he says or does. he has to have some integrity and do what he said he was going to do. I wont believe anything going forward of what he says....i will never believe in anything he does. Be a man......daddy's not here because he would hold you to it. Resign

You are really calling out Jim.

Personally I do not think he cares what people thinks.

It will be interested how this summer plays out.

You are correct that he should resign but I feel that he will not.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:

Jesse is more than linked with the picks, he headed up the scouting department that led to those picks. And there will be a Buss who replaces Mitch at some time, why not one who has been successful?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
This article from Ramona Shelburne surely has a LOT of bullsh*t.

She points that Mitch and Jim lost a lot of talent (Bazemore, Ariza, IT, etc.) because they were always waiting on superstars free-agents.
But then says that Jeanie wanted to have salary-cap space to... try to sign superstars, too. Isn't it incredible?

Using that Lakers-Cavs game (when Kaman lied on the bench after fouling out) as an example is also pure trash.
The team was destroyed by injuries and both Nick Young and Jordan Farmar went down that game. How's that on Mitch and Jim?

Didn't we win that game?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

As for this thread, the two guys being talked about as coming in and re-arranging the chairs on the deck (Magic and West) are both big Mitch guys.
123Cancun
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Mitch has never been a good GM. Inheriting Shaq and Kobe and the Gasol trade cover up a lot of his deficiencies. For a trip down memory lane check out this article from 2005:

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060224

The worst thing is there doesn't seem to be any plan or even semblance of a plan except to be bad and get high draft picks. For years the supposed plan was when we have cap space we're going to sign someone good. Then after a few summers of no one wanting to sign we end up with Mozgov and Deng, which were obviously terrible and indefensible signings at the time and yet somehow look even worse with the benefit of hindsight.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. This will be the 4th year in a row with a losing record. Something has to change, and it starts at the top.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

It's hilarious reading these insider articles with trade predictions and seeing some Lakers in it. Like Mitch would be bothered to work before the draft.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

casuals
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject:

You know I would tank too because it doesn't matter what trade we could do there is no way we are beating GSW anytime soon anyways. Also if I knew I owe draft picks to other teams I'll put together the crappiest team I can do so we can keep our picks to screw Philly and Orlando out of lottery picks too.
MorrissYe
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Mitch is a legend and let's not let the last 3-4 years destroy what he's helped build for us. That being said, he really bottled it with the Deng and Mozgov contracts. Really looks like he just threw money at both of them for the sake of making it look like we're still the 'good ole' Lakers who can get anyone they want in the market.

I definitely still believe in the core he's building now, but I get this nagging feeling that the money MozDeng will earn over the next few years will handicap us in chasing that one franchise changing star. Really hope I'm wrong.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

MorrissYe wrote:
Mitch is a legend and let's not let the last 3-4 years destroy what he's helped build for us. That being said, he really bottled it with the Deng and Mozgov contracts. Really looks like he just threw money at both of them for the sake of making it look like we're still the 'good ole' Lakers who can get anyone they want in the market.

I definitely still believe in the core he's building now, but I get this nagging feeling that the money MozDeng will earn over the next few years will handicap us in chasing that one franchise changing star. Really hope I'm wrong.

That, and the CBA because current teams can offer more money than we could in dealing with superstar free agents.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject:

We won't be good enough for over half of Deng and Mozgov's contract to attract a franchise changing star. And Mitch has done exactly as he should have the last 3 seasons despite my hate for it, get the team at the top of the draft to bring in young talent. That has been our only chance of improving, we weren't signing good FAs and we had squat to trade. So while I do not like the losing, I can still recognize that has to be our plan.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We won't be good enough for over half of Deng and Mozgov's contract to attract a franchise changing star. And Mitch has done exactly as he should have the last 3 seasons despite my hate for it, get the team at the top of the draft to bring in young talent. That has been our only chance of improving, we weren't signing good FAs and we had squat to trade. So while I do not like the losing, I can still recognize that has to be our plan.

oh yeah....he meant to do this.....not win and we get draft picks....this was his plan all along
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

oh yeah....he meant to do this.....not win and we get draft picks....this was his plan all along

Ha ha. I know, all the the retcon happening on this thread is quite entertaining.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

This is why I kinda like Magic coming back. I don't doubt Mitch's basketball acumen, but for a long time I've wondered if he's too clean going against GM's who aren't.

"He's the only GM in the league who won't engage at all before 9:01 p.m. [PT] on the first night of free agency,” the anonymous agent told ESPN. “Then when he calls to express interest, there's no stickiness to it."
Sources also said it’s a credit to Kupchak that he doesn’t break league rules, which prohibit teams from contacting players or agents before their contracts have expired. But that was called a “lack of savvy” on his part.

Don't know how much credence to give to this article, but it kinda speaks to my suspicion.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

That is why the vets who were playing well spent the last part of the season watching in suits. But you should have known that.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
This is why I kinda like Magic coming back. I don't doubt Mitch's basketball acumen, but for a long time I've wondered if he's too clean going against GM's who aren't.

"He's the only GM in the league who won't engage at all before 9:01 p.m. [PT] on the first night of free agency,” the anonymous agent told ESPN. “Then when he calls to express interest, there's no stickiness to it."
Sources also said it’s a credit to Kupchak that he doesn’t break league rules, which prohibit teams from contacting players or agents before their contracts have expired. But that was called a “lack of savvy” on his part.

Don't know how much credence to give to this article, but it kinda speaks to my suspicion.

I think GT said he heard the same thing during his Knicks cast, and that was before this article came out, I believe.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

It is a small sample size, but I know two agents who deal with the Lakers and they have nothing but good things to say about Mitch.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

It is a small sample size, but I know two agents who deal with the Lakers and they have nothing but good things to say about Mitch.

Mozgov and Deng's agents?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 67 of 70
Jump to: