**OFFICIAL: Lakers vs. Sonics (Friday Game)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Entertaining game but alot of concern for D. Hopefully it was more so the matchups and Phil just testing lineups offensively (that he knew would fail defensively)

- Odom is playing like a MVP through 3 games.
- Turiaf has got my heart, respect and now I think he's ready to play starting PF or backup C (Fulltime). Great, Great stuff from Ronny.
- The switch of Odom on Allen was key. Kobe's not ready to defend at his level right now
- Props to Kobe. He's playing the right way. Within his limits knowing he's not 100%. This is leadership is all about and #24 shuts up haters with this.
- Walton is playing better then Kukoc in his peak. Whether this mantains, I don't know - but Luke is outplaying TK in his peak right now.
- Radmanovic, Farmar, Evans and Turiaf is going to be one of the best 2nd unit cores in the league this season IMO.

I know we've played only a handful of games againt some really bad defensive teams but the flow of the Lakers offense is so much better. There's much better passing and the outlet right after the rebound is really helping the Lakers get quick scores.

3-0 Lakers stand alone in the NBA. Enjoy it fellas !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
melakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject:

osj wrote:
sonics will be hungry for revenge back in seattle. we better be ready, and better play better than we did today.

but our point production this season is phenomenal.

That is why PJ had alot of different looks for them in this game, it is going ot be a whole different game in SEattle....look for Sasha to play on Rindenour...
George W Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject:

prisma8slg wrote:
kobe had 23

He did not give his best, he tried to tank the game!
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject:

our Lakers showed that they can win ugly this season too
KAMILLION
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Wolfpack, I with your concerns with the D. I think it will improve drastically when Kobe's back to being Kobe. KB could not stay with his man today. If Lamar can D up better than Kobe, you know he's not right.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Man, the Sonics always bring their A game to play us, then proceed to stink up the rest of their schedule.

That's because Ray Ray has a jealous man-crush on Kobe.

Nope, that's because Ray-Ray is shooting too much. He is too selfish, nobody wants to play with him. Isn't it what he said about Kobe? Lets' see:
Kobe - 8 for 15, Ray-Ray - 10 for 24. I see...
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
our Lakers showed that they can win ugly this season too

which they couldn't do last season, very good win!
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Even some of the Sonics were laughing, along with Turiaf, when he was blocking those shots.... I think Ronny was venting....
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Even some of the Sonics were laughing, along with Turiaf, when he was blocking those shots.... I think Ronny was venting....
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject:

33 more field goal attempts by the Sonics... from a jump shooting team. Bad turnovers and too many offensive rebounds given up is a huge concern. Hopefully that's addressed tomorrow.
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Can my boy Smush plz get some love? Smush play good D and hit timely shots tonight.

yup, good all-around game from smush tonight. hit some crucial baskets
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:

what ! did i see smush playing along with his teamates ! no it cant be !
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject:

What I personally love about this team and start to the season, aside from the obvious (Ronnie's ENERGY, Bynums POTENTIAL, Evans HUSTLE, etc...) is that IMO every championship level team/contender needs to be able to have face a lot of different situations throughout the season and be successful doing it, so when it's playoff time, they are ready to bring it.

So far we have played and experienced the following types of game/tests"

1. Run and gun offense at it's best. NBA is supposedly shifting to a higher paced game, the Suns are the best at it. We passed this test with flying colors.
2. Within the Phoenix game, we were down 19 in the first quarter, we came back and were up double digits on this team. A GREAT SIGN to be able to come back from that large of a deficit early on against a team that can just pour it on. GREAT EXPERIENCE, and a HUGE success considering we didn't have Kobe.
3. Back to back games. It is early, so the fatigue factor isn't completely there. But after a emotional win the night before, to go on the road the next night and handly take care of business, defintley another good sign for the future.
4. Playing in a game where WE HAD a big lead, but proceeded to blow it. Up big against this Sonics team, were down 5 at one point in the 4th. Came back, took the lead, but it still was dangerously close in the last couple minutes. BUT WE PULLED OUT THE WIN, despite giving up the lead and letting them hang in there.

So early, but so much is going right. The sched does get more difficult, but these "games within the game" success or failures will help us so much that in those "harder games" with more "difficult tests', we will be ready to BRING IT!

Ahh soo excited!!
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject:

kups wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
Can my boy Smush plz get some love? Smush play good D and hit timely shots tonight.

yup, good all-around game from smush tonight. hit some crucial baskets

I am one of Smush's critics. Good game from him. Very good game. Gambled couple of times in the first half but stopped altogether any gambling when things got tough, hit very timely shots.

Games like this will make him a player in the NBA FA next summer. Not crazy steals or 180 degrees dunks, but games like this one.
HBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Alright my thoughts on this game. Not really sure anyone will care, but here they are. I might act dumb sometimes, but once everything is said and done, im pretty good at analysis.

Im happy we got the win, but here's what stood out to me.

There's a lot.

1) I like Bynum starting. It gives him confidence and he plays well. However, he gets tired quickly and Phil needs to realize this. Obviously once kwame and mihm come back, this will be less of an issue.

However, before he got tired, he was a beast. He was contesting shots left and right. He had 3 blocks and was boxing out well. If Phil subs in at the right time, he wont lose any defensive intensity.

2) Kobe was obviously not 100%, either mentally or physically. By mentally, I mean he was tentative on some plays where normally he would go at the defense with authority.

HOWEVER, and this is big. He blew some of the easieast kobe buckets there is and still shot 8/15. Thats big. That tells me that he might still take 22 shots, but there's a good chance he ends up over 50% this year. And thats huge for this team going forward.

He obviously needs to attack and dish more as he gets better and in the postups, have confidence to take the shot.

He played within the offense, but there are still periods where his teammates still stand around. Hopefully when he's 100%, he can take advantage of his dribble drive ability and still get those guys open jumpers.

Ill get to defense in a minute.

3) Lamar Odom was great, BUT, did anyone notice that throughout the third and fourht, lamar wasnt attacking as much. He wasnt trying to post up as much and he wasnt driving as much. Im guessing he was a bit tired and wanted to save energy for defense.

The man played 42-43 minutes again tonight. He himself is not in tip top shape yet and it caused his aggressiveness to toil a bit in the second half.

Once kobe is back in game shape, it wont matter as Kobe will obviously be able to pick up that slack.

4) Ronny Turiaf. What more can be said. I can ABSOLUTELY guarantee you Phil is falling in love with this guys energy, hustle and just plain raw ability. The man needs more touches in the post and he can hit the open jumpers too.

Bynum needs to sit out sooner in quarters to be fresh to allow Turiaf to play.

It will be a pleasure to watch them both on the court at the same time just to see what kind of chemistry occurs between the two.

5) Our defense.

When did we lose our lead in this game. I can point to one man and one man only. Brian Cook. From my recollection, he did not play in the 2nd half.

However, the lakers were doing great until Brian Cook and Vlad Rad formed our frontline. that simply cannot happen. Its too weak.

Brian is a weak rebounder, a weak post defender, and a weak helpside defender.

He costs us too much in defense and rebounding opportunities for the other team. Thats the problem. He might make a couple shots, but it isnt only the buckets he gives up to his man that are bad, its the poor rebounding AND poor weakside help that killed us.

If phil leaves Kobe ont he floor by himself, he must make an effort to leave a defensive minded lineup on the court with him as well as other playmakers.

Instead of playing

Farmar
Evans
Kobe
Vlad
Cook

Wow....i cant believe that lineup was the one out there for even 1 single minute tonight......

Instead, a better lineup would be:

Evans
Kobe
Walton
Vlad
Turiaf or Bynum

That way Odom can rest and our defense is still viable.

In additon to that, what happened to Willimas tonight. PHil didnt play him. Why not give him some burn at PG and see if he can do the job. Also, Sasha should have at least gotten a crack to see his viability.

The other issue I have wiht PHIL JACKSON coached teams is that they DO NOT adapt other defensive strategies.

Watch Pat Riley. He mixes it up constantly. Man to man. zone, 2-3 zone, etc.

With certain lineups and certain substitutions, we should be doing the same thing. Keep the other team guessing. I mean for Gods sakes, whats wrong with using a zone if you have weak man to man defenders in the game at times.

Im not saying we should have used it constantly, because Seattle is a good shooting team. But with Cook and Vlad in there, you better damn well believe the sonics are going to attack and thats exactly what they did during their comeback.

As for Bryant, its clear he is not in game shape yet and his defensive intensity is not all there yet. He needs to make a conscious effort to focus on that. But it will come with conditioning and with strength.

All in all, it was a good performance for him considering the layoff.

I guess the issue at hand right now is what happens tomorrow with this knee.

Lets all pray it isn't sore!
HBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Alright my thoughts on this game. Not really sure anyone will care, but here they are. I might act dumb sometimes, but once everything is said and done, im pretty good at analysis.

Im happy we got the win, but here's what stood out to me.

There's a lot.

1) I like Bynum starting. It gives him confidence and he plays well. However, he gets tired quickly and Phil needs to realize this. Obviously once kwame and mihm come back, this will be less of an issue.

However, before he got tired, he was a beast. He was contesting shots left and right. He had 3 blocks and was boxing out well. If Phil subs in at the right time, he wont lose any defensive intensity.

2) Kobe was obviously not 100%, either mentally or physically. By mentally, I mean he was tentative on some plays where normally he would go at the defense with authority.

HOWEVER, and this is big. He blew some of the easieast kobe buckets there is and still shot 8/15. Thats big. That tells me that he might still take 22 shots, but there's a good chance he ends up over 50% this year. And thats huge for this team going forward.

He obviously needs to attack and dish more as he gets better and in the postups, have confidence to take the shot.

He played within the offense, but there are still periods where his teammates still stand around. Hopefully when he's 100%, he can take advantage of his dribble drive ability and still get those guys open jumpers.

Ill get to defense in a minute.

3) Lamar Odom was great, BUT, did anyone notice that throughout the third and fourht, lamar wasnt attacking as much. He wasnt trying to post up as much and he wasnt driving as much. Im guessing he was a bit tired and wanted to save energy for defense.

The man played 42-43 minutes again tonight. He himself is not in tip top shape yet and it caused his aggressiveness to toil a bit in the second half.

Once kobe is back in game shape, it wont matter as Kobe will obviously be able to pick up that slack.

4) Ronny Turiaf. What more can be said. I can ABSOLUTELY guarantee you Phil is falling in love with this guys energy, hustle and just plain raw ability. The man needs more touches in the post and he can hit the open jumpers too.

Bynum needs to sit out sooner in quarters to be fresh to allow Turiaf to play.

It will be a pleasure to watch them both on the court at the same time just to see what kind of chemistry occurs between the two.

5) Our defense.

When did we lose our lead in this game. I can point to one man and one man only. Brian Cook. From my recollection, he did not play in the 2nd half.

However, the lakers were doing great until Brian Cook and Vlad Rad formed our frontline. that simply cannot happen. Its too weak.

Brian is a weak rebounder, a weak post defender, and a weak helpside defender.

He costs us too much in defense and rebounding opportunities for the other team. Thats the problem. He might make a couple shots, but it isnt only the buckets he gives up to his man that are bad, its the poor rebounding AND poor weakside help that killed us.

If phil leaves Kobe ont he floor by himself, he must make an effort to leave a defensive minded lineup on the court with him as well as other playmakers.

Instead of playing

Farmar
Evans
Kobe
Vlad
Cook

Wow....i cant believe that lineup was the one out there for even 1 single minute tonight......

Instead, a better lineup would be:

Evans
Kobe
Walton
Vlad
Turiaf or Bynum

That way Odom can rest and our defense is still viable.

In additon to that, what happened to Willimas tonight. PHil didnt play him. Why not give him some burn at PG and see if he can do the job. Also, Sasha should have at least gotten a crack to see his viability.

The other issue I have wiht PHIL JACKSON coached teams is that they DO NOT adapt other defensive strategies.

Watch Pat Riley. He mixes it up constantly. Man to man. zone, 2-3 zone, etc.

With certain lineups and certain substitutions, we should be doing the same thing. Keep the other team guessing. I mean for Gods sakes, whats wrong with using a zone if you have weak man to man defenders in the game at times.

Im not saying we should have used it constantly, because Seattle is a good shooting team. But with Cook and Vlad in there, you better damn well believe the sonics are going to attack and thats exactly what they did during their comeback.

As for Bryant, its clear he is not in game shape yet and his defensive intensity is not all there yet. He needs to make a conscious effort to focus on that. But it will come with conditioning and with strength.

All in all, it was a good performance for him considering the layoff.

I guess the issue at hand right now is what happens tomorrow with this knee.

Lets all pray it isn't sore!
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Kobe looked pretty stiff on D. He did make a great stop on Ray in the 4th under the hoop..

Last edited by Kobe2Clark on Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
PopcornMachine wrote:
KingKobe8thWonder wrote:
This is too much tension this early in the season!

It's what it's all about.

Sorry...just lost my train thought...Laker girls.................

Hey look... a pony!

Don't start that again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fuserchris
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Smush
Kobe
Lamar
Ronny
Bynum

I'd love to see this line-up against Seattle on Sunday

Fuser
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject:

Great win. Seriously this Laker team looks like the new generation Showtime. They are out there running and filling the wings. Let the good times role!!!!!!!!!!!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
JD wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Man, the Sonics always bring their A game to play us, then proceed to stink up the rest of their schedule.

That's because Ray Ray has a jealous man-crush on Kobe.

Nope, that's because Ray-Ray is shooting too much. He is too selfish, nobody wants to play with him. Isn't it what he said about Kobe? Lets' see:
Kobe - 8 for 15, Ray-Ray - 10 for 24. I see...

When it came down to winning time, where was Ray? He hates Kobe cause he can't be Kobe (or RT for that matter)

Living up here in Sonic country, its quite apparent that their 2 stars can fill it up when front running or trailing, but they shrivel in the clutch.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject:

fuserchris wrote:
Smush
Kobe
Lamar
Ronny
Bynum

I'd love to see this line-up against Seattle on Sunday

Fuser

I hope you mean situationally, because Luke really put on a clinic tonight. That grabbing the loose ball and dropping the blind dime back to KB at the beginning was just sick. Magic would be proud of Lukes instincts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28
Jump to: