Making a post all-star break run

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Making a post all-star break run

We understand from a team perspective, that the Lakers are going to try to win obviously, from now till the end of the season.

It's just a matter of how much winning they're doing.

I'd personally love to see a post all-star break run like Utah made 2 years ago happen for us. Finishing 19 - 10 over the last 29 games of the season, if we currently went 19-10 we would be 36-46 by the end of the season.

The Jazz had 34 losses going into all-star break and finished the season on a 19-10 run post all-star break. Winning essentially 65% of their games.

We have 24 games post all-star break. Winning 65% of them would mean finishing the season with a post all-star break run of 15-9 or 16-8. I think a more realistic 'hope' would be something like 13-11 and winning 54% of our games post all-star break.

A 13-11 run would put our current record at (31 - 47).

Our 4 game stretch before the all-star break is against
The Pistons
The Bucks
The Kings
The Suns

going 1-3 in that stretch in edition to going 13-11 post all-star break would put our final record of the season at (32-50)

That would be a 15 win improvement over last season and would net us both outside of the playoffs and the bottom 3.

The record that makes the 8th Seed in the West this year will likely be around (37 - 45).

============

If we remained on our current pace we would finish the season (22-60), which would put us bottom 3 once more.

We know which of the above scenarios I'd personally prefer, but if the answer was in the middle of both scenarios.

We'd finish with a record of (27 - 55)

I'd say that's a good guesstimate, it falls in the middle of our current pace, and finishing the season strong. We'd be bottom 5 in the West, probably bottom 3-4 still however.

We'd have to finish the season from this point onward going 16-12 if we wanted even an outside slim and none chance at the playoffs. But we've yet to find any consistency enough to show that would be anywhere in the cards.

What do you all think? Can we make a post all-star break run, will remain at our current pace, or is the answer in the middle somewhere?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

I'd like to hit above 30, but 28 seems about right.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Above 30 would make me very happy too, if we had a post asb run like the Jazz did two years ago we definitely would. But yeah in the middle would seem to be a safe bet, I definitely don't want us to stay on a 22 win pace.

27-28 wins is probably still bottom 3 in the west but I'd feel a lot better about our progress as a team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

They will get a lot more practice time after the break than they had previously, I think that will pay off and they will win more games. I don't want to set a number, I just want to see more games like the Knick game, where all of the youngsters contribute to a win.
Blackhart217
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

I just breezed through the last 24 games and it looks like about a 10-14 stretch to me if Lou stays the whole season, so prob about 28 wins and finish either with 3rd or 4th worst record.

Except for the Phoenix road games and Minny, they could lose pretty much all their remaining road games. A lot of winnable home games, but some tough games (Spurs, Cavs, Blazers, Wiz, Celtics, Grizz).
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Making a post all-star break run

MJST wrote:
What do you all think? Can we make a post all-star break run, will remain at our current pace, or is the answer in the middle somewhere?

We're one of the worst defensive teams in the league. That's not the type of thing you turn around on a dime, so I see no reason to expect a sudden improvement. I'll be happy with a gradual improvement throughout the rest of the year, but I am not expecting some big win increase
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

I'd like to keep our pick. Maybe they can make a run of moral victories!

The schedule is a lot easier than the start of the season though. And I will not complain about any wins where our young guys are played heavily like they are now. I will drink a lot on lottery night and skip summer league and I'll be okay.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

30-35 wins will be a good achievement.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

More than 30 wins would be great.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Yes, let's lose our pick and not make the playoffs anyway.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Since we're not passing up Brooklyn in losses the highest chance we get of keeping our pick is basically 50/50. Those aren't exactly comforting odds, I'd rather us try to win some games with the young guys and compete. My goal coming into the year was 30 wins, still hoping we can reach that.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a post all-star break run

activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:

We're one of the worst defensive teams in the league. That's not the type of thing you turn around on a dime, so I see no reason to expect a sudden improvement. I'll be happy with a gradual improvement throughout the rest of the year, but I am not expecting some big win increase

Thank you for the memory jog about defense.

Jazz Acquire Three Players and Two Future Draft Picks in Three-Team Trade

Quote:

SALT LAKE CITY (February 19, 2015) – The Utah Jazz announced today the team has acquired rookie forward Grant Jerrett, the rights to German center Tibor Pleiss, center Kendrick Perkins and a future first-round pick from Oklahoma City, as well as a 2017 second-round pick from the Detroit Pistons as part of a three-team trade. As part of the deal, the Jazz traded center Enes Kanter and forward Steve Novak to Oklahoma City, who also received guard D.J. Augustin and forward Kyle Singler from Detroit while sending the Pistons guard Reggie Jackson.

Kanter played in 49 games and 27.1 MPG before being traded to OKC. Moving Kanter allowed more MPG for Gobert and I think that is when he really broke out for the Jazz as a force on defense.

Reducing MPG for Mozgov so the roles of Black and Zubac can be expanded should be a help, but probably not as dramatically as moving Kanter helped the Utah defense.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Above 30 would make me very happy too, if we had a post asb run like the Jazz did two years ago we definitely would. But yeah in the middle would seem to be a safe bet, I definitely don't want us to stay on a 22 win pace.

27-28 wins is probably still bottom 3 in the west but I'd feel a lot better about our progress as a team.

I'm not seeing how we're on a 22 win pace. Our win % is .333 which means 27/28 wins IS our current pace.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Trade Nick and Lou or limit their minutes ala Deng and Moz and I'll be happy with any run, even if we increase our chances of losing the pick quite a bit since it would be our young players developing and winning games for us. If Nick and Lou play major minutes and hit their flurry of shots and fts to win games for us, that would be infuriating.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

we are 12-13 at home a .480 win % we have 16 home games left so if we play at that same level that is 8 wins, we are playing at .281 level on the road we have 12 road games left so thats 3 more wins

so 11 more wins this year if we play at same level or 29-53 so we could sneak in 2-3 more wins above our pace now and we would be above 30 wins
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

This new line up might help this team win more games.

We will see over the next 10 games.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

We are developing young players, if we have done a good enough job that they win some games we should be happy.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

We are developing young players, if we have done a good enough job that they win some games we should be happy.

YEP!
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Before the season started, I'd be happy with 32W and being around .500 after ASG. I'll still be happy if it happens.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a post all-star break run

activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:

Exactly. That run won't happen. Lakers are horrible defensively.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

This Team will be lucky to win ten more games between tomorrow and the end of the season...!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: