OFFICIAL TARIK BLACK THREAD (Reported to sign with Rockets)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject:

We are getting no star unless we make a bad trade
Jakanzi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Jakanzi wrote:
2019 wrote:
danzag wrote:
I think we should keep him. Dude is balling.

Depending on if we can sign a legit star (Hayward) he may have to go... unless we can move Mozzy, Deng, or Lou.

My question is, what exactly is the pitch to Hayward? If we pitch him on making moves to win now/soon, it still makes sense to keep Tarik. He's one of only two or three players we have that's actually a plus defender. The guy it no longer makes sense to keep through Hayward's prime is Ingram. I don't see how it makes sense for Hayward or the Lakers honestly.

Based on his public statements Hayward's primary free agency consideration is if whatever team he goes to / remains with can get him closer to a championship. So no, he's not coming.

Yea I don't know how you could feasibly build a championship level roster with Mozgov and Deng on the books. And I think any prospective free agents would probably feel the same way.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Great to see Tarik earning his spot through sheer hard work, determination and hustle AND now getting some recognition for it.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Black will have his hands full tomorrow. One of the few teams we play where Mogov could actually be useful.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject:

True. Will be interesting to see how Tarik goes up against Drummond in a starting capacity and/or if Luke goes back to Mozgov at all or throws Zubac to the considerable wolf?!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject:

*Nice excerpt on TB following Knicks game:

Tarik Black, the Plus-Minus God

Quote:
Black played only 20 minutes Monday, but he had an outsize impact on the game, as the Lakers were plus-34 in his time on the floor, while no one else in the rotation was higher than plus-11. To be sure, plus-minus numbers in a single game can be misleading, and Black was helped by going up against a Knicks starting unit that didn’t look interested in being out there. However, his numbers Monday correspond with what he has done for the Lakers all year.

https://theringer.com/lakers-knicks-tarik-black-brandon-ingram-b06a36797487#.j5aczf4op
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

*Tarik Black's defense wins him a spot in the Lakers' starting lineup:
Quote:
On a Los Angeles Lakers roster crowded with young, high draft picks in need of development, it was easy to lose Tarik Black. He was the one more worried about defense than anything else. The one who endured losing his spot in the lineup after spraining his ankle. The one who once believed the hype, and by doing so learned not to do that. Now, Black is the one starting at center for the Lakers. While others overlooked Black amid the bigger names, Coach Luke Walton didn’t. -- Los Angeles Times

http://www.espn.com/blog/nba/post/_/id/29593/wednesdays-lakers-news-strong-defense-earns-black-a-starting-spot
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Tarik Black earns Luke Walton's trust, more prominent role

"He has “cemented himself as our best defensive player,” Walton said

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/walton-743410-black-mozgov.html
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Black will have his hands full tomorrow. One of the few teams we play where Mogov could actually be useful.

If Luke is smart coach, he will adjust to the match up and bring in Mozgov.

We are paying him enough.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

Jakanzi wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Jakanzi wrote:
2019 wrote:
danzag wrote:
I think we should keep him. Dude is balling.

Depending on if we can sign a legit star (Hayward) he may have to go... unless we can move Mozzy, Deng, or Lou.

My question is, what exactly is the pitch to Hayward? If we pitch him on making moves to win now/soon, it still makes sense to keep Tarik. He's one of only two or three players we have that's actually a plus defender. The guy it no longer makes sense to keep through Hayward's prime is Ingram. I don't see how it makes sense for Hayward or the Lakers honestly.

Based on his public statements Hayward's primary free agency consideration is if whatever team he goes to / remains with can get him closer to a championship. So no, he's not coming.

Yea I don't know how you could feasibly build a championship level roster with Mozgov and Deng on the books. And I think any prospective free agents would probably feel the same way.

I don't think that Mozgov or Deng are on the books when we become a real contender.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject:

It would really be a shame to lose him. He's developed a nice low post game, which you really can't say about anyone on the roster.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Overall Tarik did a good job of forcing Drummond into tougher jump hooks outside of the paint. That being said, he's had a few plays on offense that are real head scratchers tonight and the other night against New York.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
It would really be a shame to lose him. He's developed a nice low post game, which you really can't say about anyone on the roster.

I read that in my mind like it was a nefarious statement

"Sure would be a shame....."

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Tarik had his hands full with Drummond & company but he played his typical all around hustle/effort game.
He had a nice slam on a pass from Ingram and a nice block.

8 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

Interesting that Luke went out of his way and stressed Tarik is considered part of the "young core" that is expected to develop as part of the group and is considered part of the long term plans.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Interesting that Luke went out of his way and stressed Tarik is considered part of the "young core" that is expected to develop as part of the group and is considered part of the long term plans.

Technically Jim and Mitch believed that also, it was only Scott who didn't.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

I don't know why he wouldn't be.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:

every contender has stars and players like Tarik...just seems like he is not included in young core in discussions on LG than often
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:

every contender has stars and players like Tarik...just seems like he is not included in young core in discussions on LG than often

I agree he's not often included in discussions, probably because he'll never be a star. But a tough defensive big who can rim protect, guard perimeter guys, and finish well around the hoop is extremely valuable. He's not just a hustle big. I think his talents are more valuable and hard to come by than Clarkson's.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I agree he's not often included in discussions, probably because he'll never be a star. But a tough defensive big who can rim protect, guard perimeter guys, and finish well around the hoop are extremely valuable. He's not just a hustle big. I think his talents are more valuable and hard to come by than Clarkson's.

He gets similar treatment to Nance probably because his focus isn't offensive. Its always Randle, Russell, Ingram and Clarkson. I think Black could be a great back up PF/Center and for cheap.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

The way I see it in the futre

Zubac/Black
Randle/Nance
Ingram
G
DLO/JC

Just missing that playmaker at the guard position and another 3/D wing off the bench IMO.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

Zubac/Black
Randle/Nance
Ingram
G
DLO/JC

Just missing that playmaker at the guard position and another 3/D wing off the bench IMO.

still weird to think that SG is the position needed by the Lakers. #mamba
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Really glad to hear this. I wasn't sure where they were at with Tarik.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

Zubac/Black
Randle/Nance
Ingram
G
DLO/JC

That's probably pretty close. I wonder if Jimmy G Butler could be 'that guy' at SG...?? We'd have to give some guys up though of course, namely Young/Lou AND Clarkson to have any chance...
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:

There was a recent article that said it used to bother Tarik that the public didn't seem to consider him as part of the young core. Perhaps Luke was speaking to that.

I noted elsewhere that Tarik is same age, same height, and is putting up the same numbers per minute as Tristan Thompson. Something to think about, considering that his main impact doesn't show up on the box score.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Glad to see TB finally getting a little Laker love.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 61 of 66
Jump to: