Lakers Keeping Top-3 Protected Pick Must Be More Important Than Wins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

Dwarf Nebula wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
Really think people need to chill out about that draft pick because chances are we're not keeping it. Better to root for the boys and hope for the best.

The same kind of talk went on last year at this time, and we got no.2. I ain't chillin about the draft pick because I expect us to keep it...until we don't. Fultz or Smith Jr, I already love the sound of it.

Wasn't last years top 5 protected? That's a big difference. I believe we always had a good chance of keeping that pick. This years odds are less than 50/50.

Top 3.
Dwarf Nebula
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
Really think people need to chill out about that draft pick because chances are we're not keeping it. Better to root for the boys and hope for the best.

The same kind of talk went on last year at this time, and we got no.2. I ain't chillin about the draft pick because I expect us to keep it...until we don't. Fultz or Smith Jr, I already love the sound of it.

Wasn't last years top 5 protected? That's a big difference. I believe we always had a good chance of keeping that pick. This years odds are less than 50/50.

Top 3.

My bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Jakanzi wrote:
tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
Emplay, is there anything that makes sense for LA and Philly to pull off the protection? Say Clarkson for the protection gone?

That just wouldn't make sense. We owe them a pick regardless, whether it's this year or next. It's not worth it to give up Clarkson, even if you could actually make such a trade, just to keep the pick this year when we'll have it next year if we give it up this year.
AFAIK you need to have the Magic sign off on it too, and they're for sure losing a 1st rounder if that happens. So you end up with too much of a sweetener in addition to whatever Philly wants

I don't think trading stuff to remove/add pick protection is a thing you can even do.

I could've sworn I read you can.

Philly would have to at least trade the rights of Ater Majok's cousin to make the deal pass muster.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject:

Luke doesn't appear to be the kind of coach who wants to tank, even if it is in the team's best interest. With only the top 3 pick protected, we are right on the borderline for third worst record - essentially a race between us and the Suns to see who has the better shot at a top 3 pick.

I think the most likely move is Jose Calderon being bought out, and Cleveland really hoping he is available. I think the next 2 most likely deals (if there is such a thing) is the Lakers moving either Lou Williams or Nick Young for a 1st round pick.

We'd love to move Mozgov or Deng, but that is not happening, at least this year. I don't see us moving Clarkson unless we are getting something we value in return, which I think is either a good PG or SF.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Luke doesn't appear to be the kind of coach who wants to tank, even if it is in the team's best interest. With only the top 3 pick protected, we are right on the borderline for third worst record - essentially a race between us and the Suns to see who has the better shot at a top 3 pick.

I think the most likely move is Jose Calderon being bought out, and Cleveland really hoping he is available. I think the next 2 most likely deals (if there is such a thing) is the Lakers moving either Lou Williams or Nick Young for a 1st round pick.

We'd love to move Mozgov or Deng, but that is not happening, at least this year. I don't see us moving Clarkson unless we are getting something we value in return, which I think is either a good PG or SF.

There isn't only Phoenix, Philly and Orlando are coming and they have all the interest to outtank Lakers.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:

Good thing about that, Luke is still learning on the job and it hurts the team at times.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

Dwarf Nebula wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:

Top 3.

My bad.

No, it was top 5 last year. Top 3 this year.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

Lakers survive the drama of draft lottery and will have the second pick in the NBA draft

Quote:

Teams have dreams of moving up in the NBA draft lottery.

Not the Lakers. They were elated to stay where they were.

After finishing with the NBA’s second-worst record, the Lakers ended up with the second overall pick in next month’s draft, courtesy of four ping-pong balls drawn out of a plastic hopper with a 2-3-7-14 combination, one of 199 assigned to the Lakers ahead of time.

It came after Philadelphia already won the top pick with a 1-10-5-9 combo and led to the most relieved man in the NBA world Tuesday: Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak.

The Lakers would have lost their top-three protected pick had two teams passed them in the 14-team lottery. There was a 44.2% chance that would happen.

The typically stoic Kupchak even managed a grin afterward. It certainly beat chagrin, in his mind.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:

Top 3.

My bad.

No, it was top 5 last year. Top 3 this year.

My bad back.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
Lonzo Ball would be a perfect fit for the Lakers.
Russell plays more like a SG. He is a true pass first PG
like J. Kidd.

But it would take a first or second pick to get him most likely.

Not this DLO is a shooting guard stuff again. I thought I might have finally seen the end of it.

I am still not convinced we need more guards, we have a ton of them. We need bigs IMO. Patton looks like a great prospect to me.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:

Byron wasn't trying to tank either. He was just a bad coach with a bad team. Luke, otoh, is a good coach with a bad team.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

No coach wants to tank, not even Brett Brown.
Dwarf Nebula
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

Dwarf Nebula wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:

Top 3.

My bad.

Actually, your bad ... It was top 5 protected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Das
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject:

Dwarf Nebula wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:

Top 3.

My bad.

It was Top 3 protected
#1 Markelle Fultz
#2 Lonzo Ball
#3 Jayson Tatum
#4 Lauri Markkanen

Markkanen will be a better pro than Josh Jackson

Doubling Down: Josh Jackson will get traded before his rookie contract expires and will have off court issues.
joey25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject:

Dwarf Nebula wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:

Top 3.

My bad.

The Lakers' 2016 1st round draft pick was top 3 protected. End of discussion. Also thanks to their dismal season that ended 17-65 they kept the pick and selected Ingram. This season it's the same story nothing changed.
The only thing changed is that last year we had an all-time great to watch even if he was 70 years old. This year we have bunch of young players who are not ready to compete and do not know what it takes to win and bunch of over-the-hill,useless,overpaid old players that we just opted to shut down for the season for tank purposes(like we were gonna win a lot of games with them). I don't know about you guys but i'm sick and tired of losing and us embracing this losing culture. I'd rather be freakin' Mavericks than Lakers right now. They refuse to accept that culture and i respect that. There's nothing to respect on this lakers team.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject:

It was Top-5 protected in 2015, Top-3 protected in 2016 and 2017. No protection in 2018.

Quote:

Traded • Steve Nash to Lakers for • 2013 first round pick (least favorable of Cavaliers, Heat, Kings (top 13 protected), Lakers (top 14 protected) picks) (#30-Nemanja Nedovic) • 2013 second round pick (protected top 40 in 2013, unprotected in 2014) (#57-Alex Oriakhi) • 2014 second round pick (#36-Johnny O'Bryant) • first round pick (protected top 5 in 2015, top 3 in 2016-17, unprotected in 2018) (?-?) • $3M cash on 2012-07-11

oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
It was Top-5 protected in 2015, Top-3 protected in 2016 and 2017. No protection in 2018.

Quote:

Traded • Steve Nash to Lakers for • 2013 first round pick (least favorable of Cavaliers, Heat, Kings (top 13 protected), Lakers (top 14 protected) picks) (#30-Nemanja Nedovic) • 2013 second round pick (protected top 40 in 2013, unprotected in 2014) (#57-Alex Oriakhi) • 2014 second round pick (#36-Johnny O'Bryant) • first round pick (protected top 5 in 2015, top 3 in 2016-17, unprotected in 2018) (?-?) • $3M cash on 2012-07-11

If it was top 5 protected last year, we wouldn't have all been sweating bullets about possibly losing the pick on lotto night. The Lakers would have kept the pick regardless of what happened.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

Quote:

If it was top 5 protected last year, we wouldn't have all been sweating bullets about possibly losing the pick on lotto night. The Lakers would have kept the pick regardless of what happened.

but it sure felt good when they announced the #4 pick last year!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

Quote:

but it sure felt good when they announced the #4 pick last year!

Oh man, that was one of those "where were you" moments. I was sitting in traffic on the 5 screaming like a mad man with my windows down.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject:

Dwarf Nebula wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:

Top 3.

My bad.

Not really, I'd call it Mitch's bad.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject:

Suppose we keep the pick this year, get Fultz or Ball. Then, somehow we trade for PG-13 without giving up the whole farm. Then, we improve and fight for the 8th spot next year. I don't think it will happen, but in this case, Nash would have come to LA for the price of JohnO'Bryant, Nemanja Nedovic, Alex Oriakhi and a #15 pick.

Suddently, Nash trade won't look so bad...

OK, back to reality...
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Suppose we keep the pick this year, get Fultz or Ball. Then, somehow we trade for PG-13 without giving up the whole farm. Then, we improve and fight for the 8th spot next year. I don't think it will happen, but in this case, Nash would have come to LA for the price of JohnO'Bryant, Nemanja Nedovic, Alex Oriakhi and a #15 pick.

Suddently, Nash trade won't look so bad...

OK, back to reality...

That is what the plan is make the Sixers suffer we can't let them walk away with a top five pick.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Dwarf Nebula wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dwarf Nebula wrote:

Top 3.

My bad.

You're thinking of 2015. 2016 was most definitely Top 3 protected.
captain jack
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

As long as we get Shakin' Bacon from Florida St. I'm good...
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

Here is hoping that Chick Hearn can somehow finagle those ping-pong balls so that the Lakers get the #1 pick..!

we certainly need it more than Boston...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
Jump to: