2017-18 NFL Thread - Eagles Defeat the Evil Empire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 113, 114, 115  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Bad timing this year, last year the national youth football conference and the draft combine were the same week in Indy. The conference was two weeks ago so no combine at the same time. Last year it was fun running into the draft prospects around town and due to a relationship with an NFL agent, I got to watch some of the combine. My plane seat mate coming home was Michael Barrow, former Oilers (I think) LB and current Seahawk LB coach. We had a nice discussion on the defensive prospects in the draft.

I am a Bears and Saints fan, and I think both need to think QB this offseason. I never had faith in Cutler, and Brees will be retiring in the next few years. The list of needs for the Bears is very long, and they have a long way to go. As usual, the Saints offense is still good but they need a lot of defensive help.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/12/former-dolphins-lb-quentin-moses-dies-in-a-house-fire/

Quote:
Former Dolphin Quentin Moses dies in a house fire

Former Dolphins defensive end/linebacker Quentin Moses died on Sunday morning in a house fire in Monroe, Georgia.

Fire Chief Keith Glass said, via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, that three people were killed in the fire, including a mother and daughter who were found inside the home. Moses was moved outside the house after being found unconscious, but later died at the hospital. Glass said the roof of the house collapsed as firefighters worked to get the fire under control.

Moses grew up in Georgia and played for the University of Georgia before being selected in the third round of the 2007 draft by the Raiders. Moses was waived before playing a game for the team and wound up in Miami, where he spent four seasons and had 3.5 sacks for the Dolphins.

Our condolences to the families and friends of all those who died on Sunday.

He was brought in due to his similarities to Jason Taylor's game, but never really panned out. RIP.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Anybody think the 49ers are headed in the right direction with the hirings of Lynch and Shanahan?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject:

I have faith in Shanahan but Lynch is a total guess at this point.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

madsen35 wrote:
Anybody think the 49ers are headed in the right direction with the hirings of Lynch and Shanahan?

Shanahan will be fine. Lynch is an unknown. York is a moron.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/02/...h-altercation/
Quote:

Darrelle Revis Reportedly Under Investigation After Pittsburgh Altercation; Lawyer Says Jets Star Was The Victim

PITTSBURGH (CBSNewYork) — Pittsburgh police are reportedly investigating Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis following an early-morning altercation earlier this week.

According WTAE-TV in Pittsburgh, authorities are considering filing felony charges against the seven-time Pro Bowler. He, however, has not been charged.

Sources told the station that two men approached Revis on the city’s South Side at around 2:30 a.m. Monday, complimented his clothes and asked if he was Revis, who acknowledged he was. The men continued to follow the football star and began recording video of him on a cellphone, the sources said.

A shoving match then allegedly ensued as Revis, who is from the Pittsburgh suburb of Aliquippa, asked the men to leave him alone. The men claimed Revis grabbed the phone, tried to delete the video and then threw it into the street.

A friend of Revis’ then approached, the sources said. The two men who allegedly followed Revis were then punched, but it’s unclear who struck them, according to the report. A police officer said he had spotted Revis talking to two people, and that after he circled back around the men had been knocked out and Revis was gone, the sources said.

Both men were treated at a hospital, one with broken bones around his eye, WTAE reported.

Revis’ lawyer told CBSPittsburgh.com that the cornerback was in town visiting family and friends when he was allegedly assaulted by a group of five people and needed medical treatment.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/16/report-tony-romo-expects-to-be-cut-not-traded/

Quote:
Report: Tony Romo expects to be cut not traded

It’s happening.

As PFT has long predicted (most recently just earlier this hour on The Dan Patrick Show), the Cowboys likely will be releasing not trading quarterback Tony Romo. While that hasn’t happened yet, it’s pointing in that direction.

Ed Werder of ESPN reports that Romo is expecting to be released, not traded.

Back in December, it was predicted on a special Saturday edition of Thursday Night Football that Romo would ask for his release — and that the Cowboys would be inclined to ultimately agree. Since then, it has been predicted in this spot and other PFT-related hangouts that Romo and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will hammer out a wink-nod arrangement in which Romo gets cut in return for a verbal agreement not to sign with specific other teams including but not limited to Washington. (It would be unenforceable and a Collective Bargaining Agreement violation, but Jones surely trusts that Romo wouldn’t blow the whistle or otherwise reneging.)

Apart from the complexity of trading an aging quarterback with a recent history of significant injuries, Romo would have to welcome a deal that transfers his contract (at a $14 million salary) to a new team for which he may or may not want to play. It makes more sense for him to negotiate a new deal from scratch with the team of his choice. And if that team doesn’t have to give up draft picks to get Romo, that team may be inclined to pay him even more than it otherwise would.

So count this report from Werder as Step One. Before too long, Romo could be stepping right out of Dallas, with an agreed list of potential destinations based on a secret side deal that no one ever will acknowledge.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/16/report-tony-romo-expects-to-be-cut-not-traded/

Quote:
Report: Tony Romo expects to be cut not traded

It’s happening.

As PFT has long predicted (most recently just earlier this hour on The Dan Patrick Show), the Cowboys likely will be releasing not trading quarterback Tony Romo. While that hasn’t happened yet, it’s pointing in that direction.

Ed Werder of ESPN reports that Romo is expecting to be released, not traded.

Back in December, it was predicted on a special Saturday edition of Thursday Night Football that Romo would ask for his release — and that the Cowboys would be inclined to ultimately agree. Since then, it has been predicted in this spot and other PFT-related hangouts that Romo and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will hammer out a wink-nod arrangement in which Romo gets cut in return for a verbal agreement not to sign with specific other teams including but not limited to Washington. (It would be unenforceable and a Collective Bargaining Agreement violation, but Jones surely trusts that Romo wouldn’t blow the whistle or otherwise reneging.)

Apart from the complexity of trading an aging quarterback with a recent history of significant injuries, Romo would have to welcome a deal that transfers his contract (at a $14 million salary) to a new team for which he may or may not want to play. It makes more sense for him to negotiate a new deal from scratch with the team of his choice. And if that team doesn’t have to give up draft picks to get Romo, that team may be inclined to pay him even more than it otherwise would.

So count this report from Werder as Step One. Before too long, Romo could be stepping right out of Dallas, with an agreed list of potential destinations based on a secret side deal that no one ever will acknowledge.

Not surprised. It's doubtful a team will want to trade and pay his original contract. He'll get more interest in FA.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Quote:

Darrelle Revis Reportedly Under Investigation After Pittsburgh Altercation; Lawyer Says Jets Star Was The Victim

PITTSBURGH (CBSNewYork) — Pittsburgh police are reportedly investigating Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis following an early-morning altercation earlier this week.

According WTAE-TV in Pittsburgh, authorities are considering filing felony charges against the seven-time Pro Bowler. He, however, has not been charged.

Sources told the station that two men approached Revis on the city’s South Side at around 2:30 a.m. Monday, complimented his clothes and asked if he was Revis, who acknowledged he was. The men continued to follow the football star and began recording video of him on a cellphone, the sources said.

A shoving match then allegedly ensued as Revis, who is from the Pittsburgh suburb of Aliquippa, asked the men to leave him alone. The men claimed Revis grabbed the phone, tried to delete the video and then threw it into the street.

A friend of Revis’ then approached, the sources said. The two men who allegedly followed Revis were then punched, but it’s unclear who struck them, according to the report. A police officer said he had spotted Revis talking to two people, and that after he circled back around the men had been knocked out and Revis was gone, the sources said.

Both men were treated at a hospital, one with broken bones around his eye, WTAE reported.

Revis’ lawyer told CBSPittsburgh.com that the cornerback was in town visiting family and friends when he was allegedly assaulted by a group of five people and needed medical treatment.

Why aren't the Jets filing charges? Revis stole $17M from them last season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

There's a report out there that Kirk Cousins doesn't want to be in Washington and that he's hoping to get franchise tagged again, which would mean that he would be an automatic free agent after next season. With that in mind, if the Redskins think they might only get 1 more season out of him--and since they seem to not want to commit to giving him a massive contract--could they look to move him now? It's no secret that Kyle Shanahan is a big fan of his, and vice versa. SF has the #2 overall pick in the draft. Considering what kind of a return the Titans got for Jared Goff, if you're the Redskins, and SF calls and offers the #2 pick plus more future picks, don't you have to at least consider that?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
There's a report out there that Kirk Cousins doesn't want to be in Washington and that he's hoping to get franchise tagged again, which would mean that he would be an automatic free agent after next season. With that in mind, if the Redskins think they might only get 1 more season out of him--and since they seem to not want to commit to giving him a massive contract--could they look to move him now? It's no secret that Kyle Shanahan is a big fan of his, and vice versa. SF has the #2 overall pick in the draft. Considering what kind of a return the Titans got for Jared Goff, if you're the Redskins, and SF calls and offers the #2 pick plus more future picks, don't you have to at least consider that?

I haven't seen that report, but I'd take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure Cousins doesn't want to play under the franchise tag yet again, and is thus probably frustrated at the lack of commitment by Washington. Washington probably wants to franchise him, and wait out yet another year to see if he can sustain, or even improve upon his current level of performance before giving him a rich, long-term deal. In fact that's probably why that report got released; it's an attempt to serve notice to WA that Cousins will leave if he's not awarded a rich, long-term contract this offseason.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I haven't seen that report, but I'd take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure Cousins doesn't want to play under the franchise tag yet again, and is thus probably frustrated at the lack of commitment by Washington. Washington probably wants to franchise him, and wait out yet another year to see if he can sustain, or even improve upon his current level of performance before giving him a rich, long-term deal. In fact that's probably why that report got released; it's an attempt to serve notice to WA that Cousins will leave if he's not awarded a rich, long-term contract this offseason.

Right, I agree. But the Skins may not be willing to fork over a record contract in guaranteed money, and that's about what it's going to take. That's just the market value at this point. And if they want him to do a bit of a team-friendly deal, he's probably just not going to sign anything except his franchise tender. Which means the Skins could lose him for nothing after this coming season. If they think he's a system quarterback, at least in part, couldn't you make the argument (at least from their POV) that they are better off with signing a bridge QB like Cutler, and accepting the draft haul that they could get from SF, if indeed SF were willing?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

I'm not convinced Cousins is a long-term solution. The raw metrics look pleasing (oh gee, he's on a par with Andrew Luck) but I haven't seen anything that convinces me he merits a record contract in guaranteed money. Right now the consensus is that WA will capitulate, but if Cousins is indeed seeking that sweet contract, they might as well apply the franchise tag. They won't be losing that much in terms of current payroll/cap incremental salary, and they won't be committing themselves to a financially damaging commitment.

If SF offered a first round pick, second overall (which is probably what Cousin's agent is gaming) I'd have to consider it as the WA GM. I'd probably refuse it though, as the QB options look especially abysmal this offseason.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I'm not convinced Cousins is a long-term solution. The raw metrics look pleasing (oh gee, he's on a par with Andrew Luck) but I haven't seen anything that convinces me he merits a record contract in guaranteed money. Right now the consensus is that WA will capitulate, but if Cousins is indeed seeking that sweet contract, they might as well apply the franchise tag. They won't be losing that much in terms of current payroll/cap incremental salary, and they won't be committing themselves to a financially damaging commitment.

If SF offered a first round pick, second overall (which is probably what Cousin's agent is gaming) I'd have to consider it as the WA GM. I'd probably refuse it though, as the QB options look especially abysmal this offseason.

If the Washington FO believes the same, then you have to trade him IMO. What's the point of having him for 1 more year and then he walks for nothing? Obviously, if they tag him for a 2nd straight year, he then becomes an unrestricted free agent. It's not like the Redskins are so good that they are a SB contender. They won the division in '15 when the whole division sucked, and last year they missed the playoffs. They are basically a .500 team over the past 2 seasons. They have holes on the roster for sure. If they could get a ransom for Cousins--and I think they could get even more than the #2 overall pick for him--I think the smart play is to move him for that package. That is, if you believe he's not a long-term solution.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

If the Washington FO believes the same, then you have to trade him IMO. What's the point of having him for 1 more year and then he walks for nothing? Obviously, if they tag him for a 2nd straight year, he then becomes an unrestricted free agent. It's not like the Redskins are so good that they are a SB contender. They won the division in '15 when the whole division sucked, and last year they missed the playoffs. They are basically a .500 team over the past 2 seasons. They have holes on the roster for sure. If they could get a ransom for Cousins--and I think they could get even more than the #2 overall pick for him--I think the smart play is to move him for that package. That is, if you believe he's not a long-term solution.

But that's my point as well. If Cousins is seeking what he perceives is his market value (highest bidder), then give it a go for one more season and make him prove it. In my book he'll likely stay if he has a good season, as long as you are the highest (or close to highest with more guaranteed money) bidder. He's just looking for his first big contract. Now if there was a standout at #2, I'd think about it carefully... but I don't see it.

It's a money-issue. Aside from compensation, what QB would want to play for SF? They are bereft of talent.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

But that's my point as well. If Cousins is seeking what he perceives is his market value (highest bidder), then give it a go for one more season and make him prove it. In my book he'll likely stay if he has a good season, as long as you are the highest (or close to highest with more guaranteed money) bidder. He's just looking for his first big contract. Now if there was a standout at #2, I'd think about it carefully... but I don't see it.

But if he doesn't like it there, and one of his biggest backers is the head coach somewhere else, and/or if other teams came calling...it's iffy that he would stay there, even if they were legitimately bidding market value for him. They refused to pay him for two straight years, so he might give them the finger. I'm just saying, the Redskins would be potentially risking him leaving for nothing. And if they don't see him as great anyway, and you can get, let's just say, the #2 pick in this year's draft plus SF's first rounder next year, I just think it would be tough to turn that down. Personally, I think Cousins is as good as any second-tier QB in the league that's not "elite." And you can win with those QB's, even win playoff games, with a decent team around you.

Also, if they think he's more like an average talent who is producing in a great system, that suggests that they think that even a decent QB can produce there. Would Cutler be that much worse? If that's their rationale, I mean? They may think that he wouldn't be that much worse, while recouping a bunch of draft picks possibly, and maybe you find a QB in the draft. It doesn't have to be from the #2 overall pick. Maybe you draft one later.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

^^
It would be funny if Romo ended up with the Skins, as a way to get to play against the Cowboys twice a year. I know that probably won't happen, but it would be a great story.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^^
It would be funny if Romo ended up with the Skins, as a way to get to play against the Cowboys twice a year. I know that probably won't happen, but it would be a great story.

I think he wants to go to a team that's a QB away like the Texans. Plus he would be able to stay in the same state his wife's family is from Texas.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Quote:

Why aren't the Jets filing charges? Revis stole $17M from them last season.

Pittsburgh, huh? Steelers will have nothing to do with him now.

And they need CB help.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^^

I think he wants to go to a team that's a QB away like the Texans. Plus he would be able to stay in the same state his wife's family is from Texas.

Romo needs to go to a team with a good offensive line. I wonder what the word is in Houston, they seems to have everything except a competent QB.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^^

The only problem is whether he'd take a paycut. Osweiler costs way too much and the Texans still have to re-sign some key FA's on the defensive side. Their OL is really better at run blocking than pass protection so they won't be as good as Dallas'. Then again, the Cowboys OL is so good that Ryan Leaf and Trent Richardson would look All-Pro.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Still think Romo ends up in Denver.

Hope I'm wrong.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject:

MAJIC wrote:

Hope I'm wrong.

Even if he ends up in Denver or Houston, I don't think he lasts the season. He's proven to be pretty fragile. Competing with an injury prone Romo and a mediocre Alex Smith, I think the Raiders have a good shot to take the division next season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
MAJIC wrote:

Hope I'm wrong.

Even if he ends up in Denver or Houston, I don't think he lasts the season. He's proven to be pretty fragile. Competing with an injury prone Romo and a mediocre Alex Smith, I think the Raiders have a good shot to take the division next season.

It's interesting that Romo apparently has KC as one of his possible places where he'd like to play. The Chiefs are pretty good, but Smith is the classic definition of game manager. A healthy Romo would unquestionably be an upgrade. Still, I doubt that could happen. Houston and Denver do make the most sense.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
MAJIC wrote:

Hope I'm wrong.

It's interesting that Romo apparently has KC as one of his possible places where he'd like to play. The Chiefs are pretty good, but Smith is the classic definition of game manager. A healthy Romo would unquestionably be an upgrade. Still, I doubt that could happen. Houston and Denver do make the most sense.

I think Denver is the better fit of the two. They have a better defense than the Chiefs and better receivers as a group. If Romo can stay healthy watch out. the Patriots can be beat. They benefited from a Falcons team that massively choked in the 4th quarter and a Steeler team that lost their all pro RB and had a defense missing key pieces. Denver with a good QB can do serious damage.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 113, 114, 115  Next
Page 2 of 115
Jump to: