Kyrie Irving is a flat Earth truther
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

Kyrie is one hell of a bball player and liked by many but at the same time, people should have no reservation in saying that Kyrie is wrong in this one
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Well at least he's brave enough to let everyone know how much of a deluded idiot he is.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

The New America - Where ignorance is OK.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:

Where it's respected as sticking to your convictions
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
Lol, I'm not saying Kyrie is right...who really knows? Most of everything in our history books is a farce...Scientists are paid off by elitists...I have never been in space, and I am humble enough to say I do not know? Just like I do not know if there is an afterlife? I do not think the laws of the universe can be interpreted by man, we just do the best we can. We cannot even access most of our brainpower supposedly...so who is to say?

wat
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:
Lol, I'm not saying Kyrie is right...who really knows? Most of everything in our history books is a farce...Scientists are paid off by elitists...I have never been in space, and I am humble enough to say I do not know? Just like I do not know if there is an afterlife? I do not think the laws of the universe can be interpreted by man, we just do the best we can. We cannot even access most of our brainpower supposedly...so who is to say?

wat

Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

Everyone can stick to his convictions, in politics or the arts or whatever. But when the convictions are totally against proven facts others have the right to call these convictions stupid and ignorant.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Raijin wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

Everyone can stick to his convictions, in politics or the arts or whatever. But when the convictions are totally against proven facts others have the right to call these convictions stupid and ignorant.

Religion is where that gets tricky
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Raijin wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

The problem is I think we are rapidly accelerating toward a world where facts are generally malleable. Here you have a public figure disseminating a totally and easily provable lie and there are multiple people in this thread defending it. The internet was supposed to be the great record of information and still sort of is, but it has also become the biggest issuer of misinformation ever created. The foundation of agreed upon facts has eroded, and I can't see a path for it getting better. It will only get worse. The idea that the earth is flat may indeed once again become a mainstream opinion.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
Raijin wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

Talking snakes, magic carpets, DC8s dropping souls into volcanoes, every religion has their fairy tales.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
Raijin wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

Talking snakes, magic carpets, DC8s dropping souls into volcanoes, every religion has their fairy tales.

To those interested I recommend reading "Sapiens - A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari. He wrote that around 70 million years ago the Cognitive Revolution started. That's when H. Sapiens started to separate themselves from other human species through their ability to make up and believe in fictions and myths. And that's when sapiens started working and living together in larger groups.
Like he said: "You can never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven."
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject:

What would be the point of a Flat Earth conspiracy anyways? Who benefits from that I can think of way cooler conspiracies to fabricate then saying the Earth is round.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
What would be the point of a Flat Earth conspiracy anyways? Who benefits from that I can think of way cooler conspiracies to fabricate then saying the Earth is round.

exactly. I don't get it.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
Lol, I'm not saying Kyrie is right...who really knows? Most of everything in our history books is a farce...Scientists are paid off by elitists...

Good grief. Any scientist that tampers with their research to achieve a desired result would get destroyed in the peer-review process.

People who are skeptical of science and express it on a computer connected to the internet via wifi just blow my mind.

I mean - you don't believe the Earth is round, yet you totally believe that satellites somehow faithfully and predictably orbit the planet and "magically" ping data back and forth to the surface all day long.

Do you even believe in satellites?

Quote:

I have never been in space, and I am humble enough to say I do not know?

I've never assembled my own macbook either, but I'm humble enough to accept that the science behind mine is sound and that it will work when I press the ON button. And it isn't hard for me to accept that, since it does work when I press the ON button. And my wifi works (well most of the time). And I can see satellites on a lake from a houseboat (which for a former Angelino is still bizarre).

Quote:
Just like I do not know if there is an afterlife?

The presence or lack of an "afterlife" is a different ballgame. We don't really get data from the dead (other than being able to observe how a body decomposes). Fun stuff.

We know a lot more about physics than we do about what happens to a person's conscience when they die.

Quote:

I do not think the laws of the universe can be interpreted by man, we just do the best we can. We cannot even access most of our brainpower supposedly...so who is to say?

Yes they can, a lot of them already have been. It just takes time and a ridiculous amount of trial and error. Followed by peers trying to recreate one's results. Y'know - science.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

Exactly. Demonstrable evidence is just "someone else's opinion" if it doesn't fit your personal narrative.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Ted wrote:

exactly. I don't get it.

Truman Show... Antarctica is our shoreline/fence not an island. No one sees it cause it's "kindergarden knowledge" that there's no cage.

If you don't sense the cage you wont try to leave it.

This stuff is more fun to read up on when you have to choose between another matt damon lost in space movie or kristen stuart fantasy production. lol
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

I guess sailing "around" the earth isn't an option. Maybe he can explore and show us where the edges are?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Raijin wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

Who is supplying the facts?

And Raijin is right, if people thinking fighting for what you believe in is a great thing, applaud the man!
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

hes a freaking baby. he made the statement, and then when the press asked him about it the next day, he was clearly annoyed about the whole situation and would hardly even discuss it. you're a public figure. deal with it. don't want to talk about something, then keep your mouth shut next time.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
Raijin wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

Who is supplying the facts?

Definitely not you.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
And this is why he dribbles a ball for a living and not work in the sciences.

Not just sciences. Basic elementary school level knowledge.

In every subject.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
rwongega wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
And this is why he dribbles a ball for a living and not work in the sciences.

Not just sciences. Basic elementary school level knowledge.

To play devils advocate, being fed info since elementary school is Kyrie's point. The teachers who taught us, they were fed as well. Unless, you can personally fly out of orbit to take a picture yourself, you're dependent on what others teach you. If you know Neil Armstrong personally, you are still dependent on him telling you the truth. We assume what we learn is true, we assume the highly regarded scientists, teachers are authentic and legit, we assume all the geniuses in history such as Newton, Einstein, Tesla, etc. are real and did exist, we assume everything in good faith.

We don't "assume" anything. At least not the intelligent among us. We look at the facts gathered by those who study and prove the laws of science and build an understanding based on substance and evidence.

Did you "assume" that 2+2=4 because someone "fed" you that information? Or did you look at the logical basis behind that reasoning and understand the validity of the equation?

You are not playing "devils advocate", you are just validating ignorance.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

PrairieAve wrote:
You can't travel the world, observe the varying sun and moon patterns, and actually believe that. You can't, right?

Here's the thing. You don't even have to travel that much - or even fly. All you have to do is stand on the east or west coast and look out across the horizon. You don't see Europe from New York and you don't see Asia from Los Angeles. If you stand in the plain states and look West you don't even see the Rockies because of the Earth's curvature.

On a smaller scale, on a clear day, stand on the beach in the Malibu and look towards Catalina. It looks like TWO islands because you can't see the land that makes up the isthmus that connects the North and South ends of the island.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:

"Humble" OK, if that's the word you'd like to use.

I haven't been to space either. I have however been to Rangiroa, which is an atoll in the South Pacific. An atoll is a ring shaped reef, and in the case of Rangiroa is so large that it has its own horizon. Which is to say that if you look across its lagoon in an attempt to see the other side of the atoll, you can't, because it is hidden by the horizon that is the curvature of the Earth. You do NOT need to travel to space to see the curvature of the Earth in action.

By your definition of what we "know" I should be of the mind that Russia doesn't exist because I have never been there and I have only been told about it.

So please save all this " we are just fed information, 'who is to say?'" Bull (bleep).
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
BennyLava wrote:
Gellollo wrote:
He's right you know... Have you ever stood on top of a ball? You would keep tipping over. Yet, we stand perfectly balanced on the Earths surface. Fakts.

Would love to know which facts that his education has taught him have turned out to be false.

Pretty much everything in our history books is false. Our school system has adopted Hitler propaganda tools, that we are the greatest and most truest people and everyone else is less fortunate and dumb.

Just like the history of Egypt and Africa has been destroyed. The same could be said for the Americas. But hey, Christopher Columbus discovered America and all native people are savages and the Europeans civilized them...lmfao!!!

Sure there exists some revisionist history in some text books. That in no way means that all historical evidence that is DOCUMENTED is false.

I've read history books about Rome and the Roman Road . . . guess what. I've seen the remnants.

I wasn't around for WWII, but I learned about it from history. And I have parents and grand parents who lived through it that confirm the facts that it occurred and the hows and whys that it did.

This idea you wish to pedal that simply because there have been some cherry-picking about history in certain areas means that all history his therefore null and void is absolute nonsense.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: