What are the chances Golden State wins 70 games again this season?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: What are the chances Golden State wins 70 games again this season?

I saw these numbers on ESPN recently:

Quote:

2016 Warriors: 46-4, +12.6
2017 Warriors: 43-7, +13.2

The Warriors just lost a game recently to go to 43-8, and 74 wins looks out of reach unless they go 31-0 the rest of the way, but to reach 70 wins they need a 27-4 record the rest of the way

Also, I looked up these numbers out of curiosity because Golden State was playing its best basketball early in the season when they had a 24-0 start last year. This year, the Warriors seem to be getting better as the season goes on.

Quote:

First 24 games

2016 Warriors: 24-0
2017 Warriors: 20-4

Games 26-50

2016 Warriors: 22-4
2017 Warriors: 23-3

When I look at those numbers, 27-4 doesn't look out of reach for this team at all.

Last edited by Steve007 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: What are the chances Golden State wins 70 games again this season?

Steve007 wrote:
I saw these numbers on ESPN recently:

Quote:

2016 Warriors: 46-4, +12.6 ppg
2017 Warriors: 43-7, +13.2 ppg

The Warriors just lost a game recently to go to 43-8, and 74 wins looks out of reach unless they go 31-0 the rest of the way, but to reach 70 wins they need a 27-4 record the rest of the way

Also, I looked up these numbers out of curiosity because Golden State was playing its best basketball early in the season when they had a 24-0 start last year. This year, the Warriors seem to be getting better as the season goes on.

Quote:

First 24 games

2016 Warriors: 24-0
2017 Warriors: 20-4

Games 26-50

2016 Warriors: 22-4
2017 Warriors: 23-3

When I look at those numbers, 27-4 doesn't look out of reach for this team at all.

I don't see San Antonio winning 67 games again this season, which means Golden State won't have anyone in striking distance to threaten their stranglehold on HCA ... therefore, one would think that they SHOULD manage the minutes for their core rotation (and likewise, the DNP - CD tally for their starting five) more effectively than a year ago ... so Kerr will likely start regulating playing time once they round the turn and head for home. With a 43 - 8 record thus far, I would expect to see Golden State win something like 16 - 18 of their next 20 games, and then go 7 - 4 to wrap-up the R/S.

Where's that land the plane? Probably a R/S finish around 67 - 15 ...

(At this point, I think the chances of hitting 70 wins are low ... 25% or less)
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject:

25% sounds about right. They don't have the incentive to play for a record, so I'd expect them to rest players down the stretch.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
25% sounds about right. They don't have the incentive to play for a record, so I'd expect them to rest players down the stretch.

yup, They already own that record, only ring(s) count for this team.
christinarlafever
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: He gives them a better chance at a championship.

The Warriors are getting Kevin Durant, and Kevin Durant is still a beast.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I just think they are likely to coast home. We've already seen them lose a few games to subpar teams due to what has to have been a lack of motivation, and I think they will pick up a few more losses to teams that are actually good when they are getting closer to the finish line and managing minutes more carefully (or outright sitting guys). I thought that the UNDER on their projected Win total in Vegas going into the season was a super easy bet, and right now it's definitely in doubt (67.5 wins).
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

It's definitely doable but it's not something that they should prioritize. If they want to win the championship then they need to rest their better players
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: He gives them a better chance at a championship.

christinarlafever wrote:
The Warriors are getting Kevin Durant, and Kevin Durant is still a beast.

Yeah man, if the Warriors can get Kevin Durant, they will be pretty good!!

Right boys????

Ummmmm ........... derp
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

zero. kerr is going to rest his squad in the last 1-1.5 month of the season. no point in risking players burning out in the playoffs to chase a record they already set.

i say they get 60-65 wins and the 1 seed.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Don't think they will this year. You will probably see them get rested as the playoffs approach. After last year they better understand that the only thing that matters at the end of the season is hoisting the Larry O'Brien trophy.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

I agree they should rest players and not worry so much about records.

However I am a little surprised nobody cares about this record. Back to back 70 win seasons is something no team has ever accomplished and it might be harder than winning 73 games.

I remember in the NFL the Colts were 14-0 one year, they were up at halftime in the 15th game, and the coach benched the starters which cost them the game and a shot at an undefeated season. People ripped the head coach for that, saying he was an idiot who didn't care about history. I thought he made the right move to give the players some rest and worry about the playoffs instead of worrying about chasing regular season records.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject:

They have the most season wins record. In my mind I don't think they think last year was a success. They got the runners up prize, most wins in a season, a record that can be broken. When you ride the Merry Go Round you want the ring. Something that last forever. No one can take that away.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
They have the most season wins record. In my mind I don't think they think last year was a success. They got the runners up prize, most wins in a season, a record that can be broken. When you ride the Merry Go Round you want the ring. Something that last forever. No one can take that away.

What must really be bothering them is that thought that chasing the wins record last season possibly cost them the championship. Maybe if Curry had been better rested, he wouldn't have gotten injured in the first round.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject:

46-9 now....lost to the Nuggets....forget 70 wins or 73 wins. They will probably finish somewhere around the mid 60's.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Klay's the real MVP, I guess ... murdered on the boards and from behind the arc tonight ... and it's not often that ANY team loses by 20+ points with a +13 turnover margin.

The question is whether San Antonio or Cleveland (or another team?) can summon a trench run in the postseason and knock these clowns the (bleep) out ...
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What must really be bothering them is that thought that chasing the wins record last season possibly cost them the championship. Maybe if Curry had been better rested, he wouldn't have gotten injured in the first round.

They shouldn't play that what if game. People get injured in the playoffs all the time, no matter which wins number were being chased during the season.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject:

I was thinking their chances were looking better after beating Memphis and OKC on the road. I thought beating Denver would be easy for them after those games.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I was thinking their chances were looking better after beating Memphis and OKC on the road. I thought beating Denver would be easy for them after those games.

Again...motivation. They were all geared up to play hard at OKC. Now factor in the second of a back-to-back, on the road, and it was a classic letdown game. Sometimes you can win those if the other team lets you off the hook and you may only need one good half to win, but Denver was draining its 3's last night.

Look at the teams the Warriors have lost to. They have lost 9 games now. After their opening game loss to the Spurs, they have lost to the Lakers, Rockets, Grizzlies, Cavs, Grizzlies again, the Heat, Kings, and the Nuggets last night. So that's 4 losses to bad teams. That's actually less than I thought, but the last 3 losses have been to bad teams. And as the grind of the long season wears on, I think you could see some more losses like that sprinkled in. It's easy to see how they could've taken the court last night less than fully motivated.

I think they end up with 66 or 67 wins.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject:

^The OKC game was the second night of a back-to-back. They didn't play anyone the night before the loss to Denver.

GS actually wasn't far off from going undefeated for 2 months until the loss last night. They blew leads against Cleveland and Memphis and were really unfortunate to lose those games. Losses to Memphis and Sacramento were in OT. They only lost by 3 at Miami. They have smashed almost every other team on the schedule in the last 2 months. The closest wins were a 2 point win against Portland, a 4 point win at New Orleans, a 6 point win at Detroit, and every other win has been by 8 points or more.

They have also been consistently motivated more than maybe any other team I've ever seen.

Surprised a couple of you expect only around 65-67 wins. Several teams have done that recently including San Antonio as recently as last year. GS won 67 two years ago.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
^The OKC game was the second night of a back-to-back. They didn't play anyone the night before the loss to Denver.

GS actually wasn't far off from going undefeated for 2 months until the loss last night. They blew leads against Cleveland and Memphis and were really unfortunate to lose those games. Losses to Memphis and Sacramento were in OT. They only lost by 3 at Miami. They have smashed almost every other team on the schedule in the last 2 months. The closest wins were a 2 point win against Portland, a 4 point win at New Orleans, a 6 point win at Detroit, and every other win has been by 8 points or more.

They have also been consistently motivated more than maybe any other team I've ever seen.

Surprised a couple of you expect only around 65-67 wins. Several teams have done that recently including San Antonio as recently as last year. GS won 67 two years ago.

It's all about preparing for the postseason ... Kerr's not going to play his full roster once HCA is effectively in the bag. And that's the issue with anticipating 70+ wins ... if the Warriors elect to DNP - CD (or "DNP - injury") 2 - 3 of their 10-man rotation every game once mid-March rolls around, there are 14 - 15 games down the stretch that all of a sudden become less important for Golden State, and a whole lot more competitive for the teams matching-up against them.

Look what happened last night when Klay and Livingston sat out ... Denver plays well at home and they obviously shot the lights out from distance, but they also crushed Golden State on the boards and managed to throttle the Warriors despite a 22 - 9 turnover disadvantage.

Get ready for more of those types of games in March and early April ... but once the postseason begins, those types of strategic decisions by the coaching staff become less of an option. So yeah, 66 - 68 wins is a pretty reasonable landing spot at this time, IMO ...
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject:

I don't think they care. I imagine they get rest spurs style to get them ready for the playoffs.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

It's all about preparing for the postseason ... Kerr's not going to play his full roster once HCA is effectively in the bag. And that's the issue with anticipating 70+ wins ... if the Warriors elect to DNP - CD (or "DNP - injury") 2 - 3 of their 10-man rotation every game once mid-March rolls around, there are 14 - 15 games down the stretch that all of a sudden become less important for Golden State, and a whole lot more competitive for the teams matching-up against them.

Look what happened last night when Klay and Livingston sat out ... Denver plays well at home and they obviously shot the lights out from distance, but they also crushed Golden State on the boards and managed to throttle the Warriors despite a 22 - 9 turnover disadvantage.

Get ready for more of those types of games in March and early April ... but once the postseason begins, those types of strategic decisions by the coaching staff become less of an option. So yeah, 66 - 68 wins is a pretty reasonable landing spot at this time, IMO ...

Well 68 wins is almost 70. I was just surprised when one person said mid 60s and another gave a similar prediction. Several teams have won 65 games without being nearly as dominant in the regular season.

Golden State has also been incredibly fortunate with injuries the last 2-3 years. They just never seem to have one of their big players go down. I was shocked when Thompson missed one game.

Have the starters really been worked that hard this season? People mentioned them going too hard for the record last year, but some people said they actually rested more than people think because the starters would rest in the 4th when many of the games ended in blowouts.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

They would be wise to rest some of their older players down the stretch. 65 wins should be enough to secure the top seed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: