John Black? Why?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I think there was no pr guy who was going to be able to work for both factions simultaneously. That's kind of blaming him for their divide.

No one who would be perfect, true. But his style was gas on the flame, IMO. The gossip got out. Instead of managing it, he stood silent.

Sorry, but that's horse (bleep). He can't manage Jeanie using mouthpieces to undermine Jim? Say it isn't so! Was he supposed to lock her in a cave? His job was impossible, and he did it with class and as much effectiveness as a seasoned professional could.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I think there was no pr guy who was going to be able to work for both factions simultaneously. That's kind of blaming him for their divide.

No one who would be perfect, true. But his style was gas on the flame, IMO. The gossip got out. Instead of managing it, he stood silent.

Sorry, but that's horse (bleep). He can't manage Jeanie using mouthpieces to undermine Jim? Say it isn't so! Was he supposed to lock her in a cave? His job was impossible, and he did it with class and as much effectiveness as a seasoned professional could.

I'm not saying any of that. I am saying that his presence wasn't felt. Not saying he could have cured everything, but could he have done a better job? Looking at where we are now, it's not irrational to speculate that he could. Neither you or I know what he did or didn't do to help or hurt the situation. All we can judge is where we are now and guess as to its cause. I'm guessing that his inaction, while not the center of the problem, could have contributed to it.

I do agree though that, in a normal organization and/or one which was less high profile, he'd still have a job and rightfully so. Unfortunately, he is collateral damage. The Lakers represent extraordinary circumstances which call for an extraordinary PR person. It's a high and unfair standard which he may just not have been able to meet. Maybe no one can, but don't blame the Lakers for wanting to see if there is someone who can.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost

Last edited by LakerSanity on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Black was awesome. He's helped the team navigate PR nightmares forever. Also loved that we were always tight lipped even though it sucks as fans. Too bad he was let go.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject:

Anyone man who could get us through Shaq and Kobe is a good man. I'll miss your bald head Mr. Black.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I'm not saying any of that. I am saying that his presence wasn't felt. Not saying he could have cured everything, but could he have done a better job? Looking at where we are now, it's not irrational to speculate that he could. Neither you or I know what he did or didn't do to help or hurt the situation. All we can judge is where we are now and guess as to its cause. I'm guessing that his inaction, while not the center of the problem, could have contributed to it.

I do agree though that, in a normal organization and/or one which was less high profile, he'd still have a job and rightfully so. Unfortunately, he is collateral damage. The Lakers represent extraordinary circumstances which call for an extraordinary PR person. It's a high and unfair standard which he may just not have been able to meet. Maybe no one can, but don't blame the Lakers for wanting to see if there is someone who can.

I guess you didn't feel his presence. Many others did including many of the media people whose lives he made much easier with his efficiency and kindness behind the scenes.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I guess you didn't feel his presence. Many others did including many of the media people whose lives he made much easier with his efficiency and kindness behind the scenes.

His presence was absolutely felt. When the chaos is coming from two of the freaking owners of the team, there's nothing that ANY PR person could do. For a team as high profile as the Lakers, the number of outbursts from below ownership level was minuscule and, when compared to any other professional sports team, relatively nonexistent. The people who have praised him appreciate what kind of effort that takes.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

John Black was a G.

I hope he has a nice retirement or find another job he likes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
Jeanie Corleone settled scores with all the family's enemies today. Fredo's still part of the family, at least til the next purge. I think John Black was just a bystander. She didn't want to leave any witnesses.

Jeanie went full Connie Corleone. Even took out Don Kupchak with the spiked cannoli.

Or put differently, she was Lucilla taking out Commodus (Jim) AND Quintus (Mitch) in one shot.

Only this time, Maximus (Magic) rises to power.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

As always in Lakers history, there is precedent for any and all kinds of drama, no matter the department.

I said this on Twitter yesterday: This is a franchise that mutually departed/forced out/other euphemism Pat Riley after 63 wins, and Phil and Van Breda Kolff after Finals appearances. A purge of the front office, no matter how ugly, after three awful years isn't historically odd for the franchise.

And yes, weirdness extends to the PR department.

Throughout the 1980s, Josh Rosenfeld was the Lakers PR guy. Even as a teen, I remember reading his name once in awhile, although obviously had no idea what PR guys did. Would see him seated courtside at Boston Garden.

Early in the 1989 season, Rosenfeld left the Lakers. Mysteriously. To be replaced by a 30-year-old...John Black.

http://bit.ly/2md0EKO

Quote:

'I speak for everyone in the Laker organization when I thank Josh for his great efforts on behalf of the Lakers,' Los Angeles General Manager Jerry West said. 'We will miss him and we wish him the best.

'At the same time, we welcome John. He is well-qualified and we believe he will do an outstanding job.'

Hmmm.

And from a blog in 1999, for what it's worth:

Quote:
Also in 1989, longtime Laker Media Director JOSH ROSENFELD left the team after a few months into the season and was replaced by current Media Director JOHN BLACK. Rosenfeld would never disclose why he left the team with NOWHERE to go that early in the year.

http://bit.ly/2m8Fjpc

Years later, Josh became PR guy for the Knicks. He then became a sports writer and bounced around a bit.

So...yes. This franchise has been built on drama, palace intrigue, ugly departures, since the Minneapolis Lakers days. It's unfortunate for many of the people involved. But it's also life with the Lakers, even for those who have been there seemingly forever.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
mirak wrote:
Jeanie Corleone settled scores with all the family's enemies today. Fredo's still part of the family, at least til the next purge. I think John Black was just a bystander. She didn't want to leave any witnesses.

Jeanie went full Connie Corleone. Even took out Don Kupchak with the spiked cannoli.

Or put differently, she was Lucilla taking out Commodus (Jim) AND Quintus (Mitch) in one shot.

Only this time, Maximus (Magic) rises to power.

It's funny, I always thought Jeanie was Fredo - loose lips, side deals (PJ), etc. But she was the one who pulled of this massacre.

Hope she doesn't move the franchise to Las Vegas like Michael Corleone.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
New messaging philosophy I guess. Lakers were well known for being tight lipped. Who knows how things will be going forward.

I think we all know how things will go. The Lakers lost a genuine PR guy who tried to keep the rumor mill in check and now we have two people who just love to Tweet away in social media.

Hate to bump up an old thread but this feels especially relevant las of late.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
at the moment idk. Maybe GT can shed some light in his pod

How would he know?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
22 wrote:

How would he know?

Doesn't he have credentials?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
22 wrote:

How would he know?

Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
New messaging philosophy I guess. Lakers were well known for being tight lipped. Who knows how things will be going forward.

I think we all know how things will go. The Lakers lost a genuine PR guy who tried to keep the rumor mill in check and now we have two people who just love to Tweet away in social media.

Hate to bump up an old thread but this feels especially relevant las of late.

Are you not a fan of Alison Bogli the current Lakers Senior Manager of Public Relations?

https://twitter.com/alisonbogli?lang=en
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
22 wrote:

How would he know?

not sure he did in 2017.....which is when the post he is responding to was posted
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: