Farewell and thank you John Black
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Farewell and thank you John Black

Thanks to a Laker lifer and consumate pro who had to work in a horrible situation at the end, and who deserved to be respected and honored Laker family for life.

Not to mention a great lottery good luck charm!
Jakanzi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject:

It's remarkable how much love he got on Twitter from journalists, people who by the nature of their jobs are going to be at odds with a PR person.

Ric Bucher: Nothing saddens me more than the purge including Lakers PR director John Black. For me he was part of the Lakers' lure and the lore.

Bill Simmons: I liked John Black - was bummed to see LAL relegate him to a throwaway paragraph in a housecleaning announcement like he didn't matter.

Chris Mannix: John Black is as good a PR man as there is in the business. With a high profile team, worked hard to help reporters do their jobs.

David Aldridge: Lakers axing Jim Buss no shock; it’s why Jeanie brought Magic in. Kupchak mild surprise. Axing longtime PR head John Black a 2x4 to head.

Marc Stein: Covered my first John Black press conference (John McEnroe for Forum tennis) in 1988. Warmest wishes to JB ... Laker legend in his own right

Steve Mason: I support the #Lakers decision to eliminate roles for both Jim Buss& Mitch Kupchak. Firing VP PR John Black, a total pro, is sad.

Mark Medina: Sad that Lakers let longtime spokesman John Black go. We had our good & bad times. But John was a total pro in balancing team & media needs.

Arash Markazi: To anyone covering the Lakers, the John Black news is infinitely more surprising than the Magic Johnson, Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak news. [2] You need people to believe in you in this business and John Black did. He credentialed me to cover Lakers games when I was in college. [3] It got buried in the release and news stories but John Black no longer being with the Lakers after 27 years is the move I can't get over.

Howard Beck: John Black cared deeply about the Lakers, always had their best interests at heart. Enjoyed working with him. He deserved better than this.

Dwain Price: From my corner, nothing but mad love for @Lakers PR John Black. The dude was a class act and went out of his way many times to help me out.

Larry Coon: Wow! Best wishes to John Black -- a true class act -- and everyone else caught up in the Lakers' overhaul.

Bill Plaschke: Wrote last week that Lakers would oust Buss and Kupchak for Magic, but never thought it would be this soon...wow..and John Black? Really?

Johnny Navarrette: Shocked to see John Black let go by the Lakers. Was very welcoming to myself and the LakerNation staff at press conferences & media days.

Bill Oram: On a personal note, seeing John Black go really stings. We argued often, but he is a true pro. A legend in his own right. I don't get it.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject:

Black's dismissal felt totally random. He's been a part of the organization as long as I've been following.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject:

Jakanzi wrote:
It's remarkable how much love he got on Twitter from journalists, people who by the nature of their jobs are going to be at odds with a PR person.

Ric Bucher: Nothing saddens me more than the purge including Lakers PR director John Black. For me he was part of the Lakers' lure and the lore.

Bill Simmons: I liked John Black - was bummed to see LAL relegate him to a throwaway paragraph in a housecleaning announcement like he didn't matter.

Chris Mannix: John Black is as good a PR man as there is in the business. With a high profile team, worked hard to help reporters do their jobs.

David Aldridge: Lakers axing Jim Buss no shock; it’s why Jeanie brought Magic in. Kupchak mild surprise. Axing longtime PR head John Black a 2x4 to head.

Marc Stein: Covered my first John Black press conference (John McEnroe for Forum tennis) in 1988. Warmest wishes to JB ... Laker legend in his own right

Steve Mason: I support the #Lakers decision to eliminate roles for both Jim Buss& Mitch Kupchak. Firing VP PR John Black, a total pro, is sad.

Mark Medina: Sad that Lakers let longtime spokesman John Black go. We had our good & bad times. But John was a total pro in balancing team & media needs.

Arash Markazi: To anyone covering the Lakers, the John Black news is infinitely more surprising than the Magic Johnson, Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak news. [2] You need people to believe in you in this business and John Black did. He credentialed me to cover Lakers games when I was in college. [3] It got buried in the release and news stories but John Black no longer being with the Lakers after 27 years is the move I can't get over.

Howard Beck: John Black cared deeply about the Lakers, always had their best interests at heart. Enjoyed working with him. He deserved better than this.

Dwain Price: From my corner, nothing but mad love for @Lakers PR John Black. The dude was a class act and went out of his way many times to help me out.

Larry Coon: Wow! Best wishes to John Black -- a true class act -- and everyone else caught up in the Lakers' overhaul.

Bill Plaschke: Wrote last week that Lakers would oust Buss and Kupchak for Magic, but never thought it would be this soon...wow..and John Black? Really?

Johnny Navarrette: Shocked to see John Black let go by the Lakers. Was very welcoming to myself and the LakerNation staff at press conferences & media days.

Bill Oram: On a personal note, seeing John Black go really stings. We argued often, but he is a true pro. A legend in his own right. I don't get it.

Wow.

Thank you very much, John Black. I don't understand why you had to go.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject:

I think its the Lakers just completely moving into the new era... PR is a big priority to Jeanie.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject:

Sam Amick said he was identified by Magic and Jeanie as a potential ally of Mitch and/or Jim and they did not want to leave anyone influential that may not be fully supportive of them and them alone.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Farewell and thank you John Black

Omar Little wrote:
Thanks to a Laker lifer and consumate pro who had to work in a horrible situation at the end, and who deserved to be respected and honored Laker family for life.

Not to mention a great lottery good luck charm!

to everything you said. Man, I can only imagine what will happen on lotto night now.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject:

the good news is Black will be fine....if he seeks a new position, he has enough connections that I am sure he will get scooped up by a media company or PR firm....probably @ a higher salary
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject:

Yeah, in a way, changing of the guards yesterday. In with the some new, out with the old. Thanks John Black!
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject:

somewhere I read he didnt talk to Kobe for 10 years, maybe he was alligned strongly with Mitch and Jim

I interacted with him several times at games at Staples and he was always a class act and was very nice I wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
somewhere I read he didnt talk to Kobe for 10 years, maybe he was alligned strongly with Mitch and Jim

I interacted with him several times at games at Staples and he was always a class act and was very nice I wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors

on the front end or the back end of Kobe's career? I am sure I saw him and Kobe together during the farewell tour on several occasions.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

Just someone tweeted out cant remember who saying Kobe hadnt talked to him for 10 years, I think they where referring to the back end
Chewrockan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

John Black is a great guy. My Dad and him became buddies of sorts when they worked together years ago. John was always kind and gracious, he even gave my family free tickets to games for the last 15 years! I don't get why he became a casualty in this. Doesn't make sense.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:
I think its the Lakers just completely moving into the new era... PR is a big priority to Jeanie.

My guess is Jeanie wants a PR guy she hires who is loyal to her.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

cant wait until she announces Kevin Ding....then he will no longer be her unofficial mouthpiece.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. You're all time.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

Jon Black did a great job and made great relationships. He was a man for his era.

Still, times have changed and in some cases, drastically. Worst of all, the Laker brand has taken a beating which hurts both sides of the business (from revenue to recruitment.) If the Lakers are looking to build an operation from the future, then they were going to need a top down rebuild of their PR machine.

Modern PR revolves around techniques like open communications, social media engagement using 21st century tools, aggressive narrative control, and co-branding that bear little resemblance to the tight messaging controls and restricted access to the organization that was used in the 80's-00's. None of us know the extent of how much he either embraced and became a professional in using those tools. Black was fantastic, but the game has changed and I understand why he was let go.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

I always thought Black looked like a Secret Service guy that got lost and ended up working for the Lakers. Should have worn shades for the full effect.

Thanks for everything, another loyal guy outsted.

!...
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

Thank you John Black! And thanks for the Twitter quotes from folks who worked with him...
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Any reason why John Black was let go?
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:

No supposedly him and pelinka didn't speak
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
activeverb wrote:

cant wait until she announces Kevin Ding....then he will no longer be her unofficial mouthpiece.

That's the last thing I want to see - Kevin Ding is pure crap for the free agent deadline hit piece sabotage. And if Jeannie ordered it she's pure crap too.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

At any rate - best of luck Mr Black. It's clear from the reactions of so many journalists that A) you clearly deserved better, and B) you'll land on your feet.
Sleepy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject:

I didn't know him well, of course, but he was always cordial and accessible when I needed to teach him. I didn't always get my request filled, but he did help me land a (retired) Kareem interview for a radio show i worked on many years ago.

I hope he lands on his feet.
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject:

Thank you, John Black. Appreciate everything you have done. Godspeed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: