The Javale McGee vs Shaq beef
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: The Javale McGee vs Shaq beef

I find this completely childish but also extremely funny and entertaining.

Most of yall know Javale doesn't like Shaq for the torture he endures almost weekly on Shaqtin' a Fool. He even called Shaq a 'coon' for it before. But tensions boiled over today after last nights NBA on TNT where Shaq unleashed this savage segment:

That led to this vulgar exchange between the 2 on twitter (Mods can embed the images if you'd like)

https://twitter.com/NBAInside_Stuff/status/835118264539828229

Nick Young even tweeted the question of who would win in a fight between the two

Odds are it will never come to that though lol

Last edited by 22 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Even Durant and Kerr had to weigh in:

Kevin Durant wrote:
JaVale works extremely hard, has come in here and done extremely well as a player. He only wants to be respected like anybody else. I understand that Shaq works for a company that wants him to do that type of stuff, make fun of players. It’s cool, it’s funny, but when you keep doing it time and time and time again and a guy actually disagrees with you and you threaten him. I didn’t know cops could threaten civilians like that. It’s definitely childish. But that’s what they want from these stars and these retired players is to feud with the guy who’s playing now and make arguments and disagreements. If I was JaVale, I’d feel the same way. It’s childish.

It has. It has. Shaq wants to make a joke about it. But if it was him in that position, he’d feel the same way. We wouldn’t call him a bum and all this because he’s such a great player obviously. But still, everybody can’t be Shaq. He’s trying to make his money and enjoy the game of basketball and the perception of him now is that he’s a dumb player because he makes mistakes out there on the court. Shaq was a sh**** free throw shooter, he missed dunks, he airballed free throws, he couldn’t shoot outside the paint. He was bigger than everyone, didn’t have no skill, bigger and stronger than everyone. Still a great player, but you had your flaws as a player and you played on five or six teams, too. So it’s not like he’s just some perfect center. You had your flaws, too. I didn’t know cops could go on Twitter and threaten civilians like that. I’m glad JaVale challenged him.

You don’t see when he dunks on somebody, when he blocks a shot in the stands, when he catches a lob, when he beats another big man down the court and gets a reverse layup. Because they don’t put that on Twitter. The perception of him is that he’s dumb. And once you get labeled something in this league, it’s hard to shake it. But I’m sure he’s changing some people’s minds about what he’s doing as a player because he’s playing so well. It’s not just because he’s on a good team. You still got to put the work in. He’s out there catching those lobs, getting double-doubles, changing the game for us. He’s doing that because he put the work in, so respect that man.

Steve Kerr wrote:
JaVale has been fantastic for us as a player, as a teammate, fantastic guy. He’s funny, he’s fun to be around, he does his job. He’s a total pro. I don’t blame him for being frustrated. Shaq has been picking on him for years and years and years and JaVale, rightfully so, is frustrated. It never ends. It’s one thing to have a little fun. But I think he can go a little over the top. You think about JaVale’s career where you’re in this position where someone on national TV is making fun of you night after night. It’s not the greatest thing for your reputation. I can tell you that I had a preconceived notion of JaVale before I got here that turned out to be false. A lot of that is what goes on with Shaqtin’ A Fool. It’s unfortunate. It’s kind of the way this whole thing has played out. It’s too bad.

Last edited by 22 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

The apparent fact that Golden State saw fit to get involved by contacting the NBA and/or TNT is pretty weak, and I'm a longtime supporter of Shaq, but he's in the wrong in this matter, IMO ... the perseveration has been mean spirited (yeah, most of us have laughed the entire way, but it's pretty (bleep)-up to go balls deep on the guy's psyche week after week after week, ad infinitum), it's obviously gone on for too long for Shaq to bristle at JaVale pushing back, and he shouldn't have smashed the guy's career into the ground like THAT anyway with the tweets ...

However, (bleep) Kevin Durant ... that weasel has no business getting involved in this matter. I would have respected Steph speaking up for JaVale, or even Klay or Iggy or Draymond (although the latter would be pretty tone deaf considering the nonsense he spews 24/7), but not Durant ... (bleep) that guy's opinion for at least another six months.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

A lot of respect for Durant for doing that!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I guess as a Laker legend we should side with him....but after seeing the beef he went thru with Kobe, we know Shaq is a man-child. He is an adult in chronological years, but still engages in petty beefs over stupid stuff. Can you imagine if twitter existed during Shaq's playing days and how Hakeem would troll him about being better than him?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Social media and celebs don't mix but it does provide entertainment at times.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Shaq fires at Durant too

Quote:
SHAQVerified account‏@SHAQ 2h2 hours ago

@KDTrey5 mind yo business this ain't for you,

Quote:

@KDTrey5 I understand u sticking up for your teammate that's cool but your boy @JaValeMcGee34 is still a bum, he started it I'm a finish it
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:

JaVale didn't start anything. Shaq needs to take a seat. The joke has gone on too long, he didn't know when to quit it (it stopped being funny a while ago), and he acted like a child when confronted.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:

This makes Shaq look like an idiot IMO.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Seems like a good time to remind people that Shaq is a 44 year old man.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Shaq, when someone tells you to stop, you stop man...

I'd be pissed if I was Javale McGee. Shaq possibly cheated him out of millions of dollars.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Shaq is acting like a bully, leave McGee alone. No one even thought he'd make the Golden State roster and the reason why he was a fringe NBA player was because of what you did to lower his value as a player. And now he's making valuable plays off the bench for a championship contending team. Sure he made a ton of bone headed plays when he was a kid, but he's not making that many now.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

McGee seems dumb as rocks but come on Shaq... leave the man alone. Pick on Barkley, he's right there!

Probably why Shaq couldn't deal with Kobe. His insecurity matches his gigantic size.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

It's just bully behavior from Shaq. People like that segment but he tries way too hard to involve Mcgee in it. I saw that doctor strange segment and a bunch of that stuff was just random missed dunks and an airball free throw over the last eight years or however long he has been playing. They weren't even that funny. Shaq needs to stop being so obsessed with him. The joke got old a long time ago and the harassment probably does hurt Mcgees pocketbook. Not cool to mess with another mans money.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
McGee seems dumb as rocks but come on Shaq... leave the man alone. Pick on Barkley, he's right there!

Probably why Shaq couldn't deal with Kobe. His insecurity matches his gigantic size.

That and Kobe refused to be the butt of Shaq's jokes. He let his game do the talking and eventually Shaq had to bow to the greatness of Kobe. I remember when they said they squashed the beef years ago but Kobe still had to be simmering inside and probably let it go 100% when he won one more ring than Shaq. Unfortunately for McGee, Shaq likes to take snippets of his screw ups and put it on full blast every week on national tv. That probably gets tiresome and I'm sure his teammates got tired of it too.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Marcus Thompson:

Shaq Vs Javale Is Deeper Than Basketball
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Shaq fires at Durant too

Quote:

@KDTrey5 mind yo business this ain't for you,

Quote:

@KDTrey5 I understand u sticking up for your teammate that's cool but your boy @JaValeMcGee34 is still a bum, he started it I'm a finish it
He's such a baby. Grow up, Shaq.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Great example for the kids. Its like Shaq feels he has dominion over clowning on McGee or something. You still got material Shaq, just keep yelling random things obnoxiously while Ernie is doing a highlight.

Last edited by fansincemagic on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject:

When JaVale suggested that Shaq was responsible for costing him paychecks, that tells you everything. His own lack of awareness is costing him millions, and that seems to extend off the court. He had a $40+ million contract based on potential, but potential has a shelf life.

No GM takes advice from Shaq, or any part-time analyst who got the job for being an entertaining former player. If JaVale could help a team enough to warrant a big contract, he'd have one.

Shaq has said far worse before, once calling Dampier the "best center in the WNBA", and Bosh "the RuPaul of big men". Expecting maturity from Shaq considering what his job is? That's wishing for the moon.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Shaq starts a petty feud with an NBA player? Who could've seen this coming?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

Shaq has said far worse before, once calling Dampier the "best center in the WNBA", and Bosh "the RuPaul of big men". Expecting maturity from Shaq considering what his job is? That's wishing for the moon.

He was on Duh-wight for a long time as well. Did the Vlade "Cheers" song where he called Vladimir stupid. Went back at Pippen. If Shaq means to imply that Javale is a buffoon as a player, that Howard is a fallacious franchise forward, that Bosh is a rather effeminate fellow, that Dampier sucks, and that Scott Pippen is a #2 comparing himself to a #1, then I can't sit here and claim he's wrong on any of those. Durant's characterization of Shaq as a player is that of a know-nothing millennial RealGMer, though. You betta read a newspaper if you thought Shaq was a guy who missed a lot of dunks of all things. Beyond that, this stuff has never been a good look for Shaq, but he doesn't give 2 defecations about that and he's going to be doing this when he's 64, to reference The Beatles.

This is Shaq. Very thin skinned AND one of those types who likes to poke fun at everyone and if they have a hard time dealing with it instead of laffing along, then he REALLY goes after them. He finds what annoys people very effectively. He's always done that. And as silly as that may be, it's hard to beat him at his own game. I don't think even Kobe was able to. It's hard to get over on a guy who will make fun of you even more when you try to come back at him. You just gotta ignore it or kick his ass. Therein lies the problem. You gotta be Karl Malone or Charles Oakley. He smacked Kobe when he was a rookie, probably removing the taste from his mouth. He smacked Ostertag that one time and he went down like a load they say (1 gm suspension).

The cooning accusation is lame. This is far from Ali vs Frazier. It has never crossed my mind that he's lowering McGee's standing in his community. He's not calling him an ugly gorilla or mocking the way he speaks like Ali did with Frazier and others. That's a little bit too dramatic for making fun of a guy because he has a lot of bloopers. This isn't even Jordan vs Kwame, where he probably intentionally tried to harm the guy's psyche. That's real. This is just TV silliness by comparison.

fansincemagic wrote:
Great example for the kids. Its like Shaq feels he has dominion over clowning on McGee or something. You still got material Shaq, just keep yelling random things obnoxiously while Ernie is doing a highlight.

That's a good synopsis of this situation.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
If Shaq means to imply that Javale is a buffoon as a player, that Howard is a fallacious franchise forward, that Bosh is a rather effeminate fellow, that Dampier sucks, and that Scott Pippen is a #2 comparing himself to a #1, then I can't sit here and claim he's wrong on any of those.

For sure.

non-player zealot wrote:
Durant's characterization of Shaq as a player is that of a know-nothing millennial RealGMer, though. You betta read a newspaper if you thought Shaq was a guy who missed a lot of dunks of all things.

Durant should have stayed out of it, but then, Durant's a bit full of himself. He probably thought Snaq would back off if Mr. Durant told him to.

non-player zealot wrote:
This is Shaq. Very thin skinned AND one of those types who likes to poke fun at everyone and if they have a hard time dealing with it instead of laffing along, then he REALLY goes after them. He finds what annoys people very effectively. He's always done that. And as silly as that may be, it's hard to beat him at his own game. I don't think even Kobe was able to.

When it came to this sort of stuff, Snaq just plain destroyed Kobe.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
When JaVale suggested that Shaq was responsible for costing him paychecks, that tells you everything. His own lack of awareness is costing him millions, and that seems to extend off the court. He had a $40+ million contract based on potential, but potential has a shelf life.

No GM takes advice from Shaq, or any part-time analyst who got the job for being an entertaining former player. If JaVale could help a team enough to warrant a big contract, he'd have one.

Well that's not exactly true. Kerr just admitted he had preconceived notions about JaVale due to Shaqtin that turned out to be untrue...and he was a GM. Even if he weren't, coaches have input on who their GM pursues. Neither the GM nor the coach have time to watch tape on every player in the league, and like fans, they are definitely tuned to what the media is saying, so it's easy to understand how Shaqtin shapes people's opinion's about certain players, especially role players.

By constantly soiling his name, Shaq has undoubtedly cost this man millions.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/SHAQ/status/835052931728748544
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
defense wrote:

That and Kobe refused to be the butt of Shaq's jokes. He let his game do the talking and eventually Shaq had to bow to the greatness of Kobe. I remember when they said they squashed the beef years ago but Kobe still had to be simmering inside and probably let it go 100% when he won one more ring than Shaq. Unfortunately for McGee, Shaq likes to take snippets of his screw ups and put it on full blast every week on national tv. That probably gets tiresome and I'm sure his teammates got tired of it too.

shaq is always like this. the tv doesn't have to air his silly skits, so they are to blame as well. They censor a ton of stuff anyway. i dont know. those clips of mcgee are really bonedheaded, its just that they are being highlighted. You know how many people bully regular folks in the workplace and the victims have no defense? mcgee is fine. millionaire athlete.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: