Magic Johnson New Pres of BBall Ops - Mitch and Jim Officially Fired
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 55, 56, 57  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

mixtim wrote:

Watch out Jeanie,what goes around comes around

One can only hope.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

Only thing that im worried about with Magic is the fact that he over estimates talent and is baised about AAU ballers.

Raving about guys like Jimmer Freddette, Okafor (still a question mark), MCW the future JKidd and etc.

He does not have an eye to evaluate talent and never will. I hope when Luke, Ryan West & the scouting department tell him something, he doesnt let his ego get in the way and actually listens to their advice instead of over riding their opinion and going with his since hes Pres of Ball Ops.

Otherwise were screwed.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

Jeanie's on the clock now.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

I didn't think that Jeanie could just fire Jim like she did. I wish she would have done it last year when we fired Byron. It would have been nice to have Magic/Pelinka on board for the draft and free agency period. We could have avoided the desperate Moz/Deng deal.

But maybe it took the Moz/Deng deal to finally put the nail in the coffin.

Last edited by Dr. Funkbot on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

Those deals were horrible. And anyone defending those deals is a homer.

Good riddance, Jim.

Magic and Rob will be hit or miss, but we needed to do something.

Don't worry VLF, we got this.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

I have to admit... At the deadline, so far so good.

Could we have gotten more value for Lou considering we also got a 27th pick for Lin in 2014? Yes. But maybe that kind of deal wasn't out there like it was previously. Rather take Brewer's deal than Nicholson.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

good deadline deals....

improved our odds of winning the lotto, took a flyer on a young expiring player who can maybe be a decent backup, acquired a first rounder pick in the mid to late 20's, news broke that PG wants to end up in LA, and most importantly, kept our young guys.

Part of me does wish we got Cousins but the other part of me is happy knowing we might end up with our top 3 pick and have a real shot at PG in 2018.

Zu
Randle/Nance
Ingram
Ball/Clarkson
Russell

My gut tells me that's our core post draft
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Cant wait to see DAngelo ball out and lose us the pick

LG will have a meltdown
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

If you guys have have Instagram and/or Snapchat, take a look at the Lakers' recent updates.

Magic Johnson is actually travelling with the team and is spending time ON COURT teaching them a thing or two:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ34KtGFoGN/?taken-by=lakers

Also there's a video of him teaching Ingram.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

has there been any reports of Johnson's salary?
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Here's a Magic tweet from Feb 2013:

@MagicJohnson wrote:
If I was Jim Buss I would travel w/ the @Lakers. Jim needs to find out what the issues are with the team, he can't do that from an office.

Looks like that's what he's doing so far by traveling with the team to OKC
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

I would feel much better if they took in a former/current front office guy. Not sure Magic/Pelinka is enough experience.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
I would feel much better if they took in a former/current front office guy. Not sure Magic/Pelinka is enough experience.

Ryan West has been around.. And Woj was talking about how agents are actually empowered to facilitate some trades - so Pelinka does have experience there. Could probably use some more though.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Ryan West has been around.. And Woj was talking about how agents are actually empowered to facilitate some trades - so Pelinka does have experience there. Could probably use some more though.

Haha Ramona did say a lot of agents and GMs don't like Pelinka, especially since the GM hire - partially out of jealousy, she noted.

I'm excited.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Funny thing I'm noticing on Spectrum postgame, 710, and Magic's comments in his mid-game interview... Everyone is preaching patience now with the rebuild and the Lou Will trade, but this is the same thing Mitch and Jim did.

So is it Jeanie controlling the narrative on Spectrum, or is Magic kind of already doing a better job communicating patience and a direction than Mitch and Jim did?

I think the answer is... both. I was always kind of annoyed by how Mitch and Jim avoided the media like the plague instead of using it to their advantage.

So, everyone is patient now!
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

What did Magic say in his interview today?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

Actually a lot of good stuff. Trying to sum it up... They accomplished everything they wanted to at the deadline, wanted to get a 1st for Lou which is especially good if they lost the lotto pick, then they still have a 1st to play with... preached some blah-blah-blah about patience, rebuilding... anyone else can fill in the rest? That's all I can remember.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Actually a lot of good stuff. Trying to sum it up... They accomplished everything they wanted to at the deadline, wanted to get a 1st for Lou which is especially good if they lost the lotto pick, then they still have a 1st to play with... preached some blah-blah-blah about patience, rebuilding... anyone else can fill in the rest? That's all I can remember.

Basically this.

It was a typical interview.

The best part was Magic preaching the need for patience from the fans because it'll take some time to rebuild. The irony. The absolute definition of irony.

He also gave props to the young guys as a whole. Said he likes the young talent. Also said he was working with Ingram in practice yesterday (those videos we saw) on taking contact rather than avoiding contact. He said Ingram today wasn't shying away from the contact. Also, individually gave props to Brandon on a shot he made while he was doing the interview.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Basically this.

The best part was Magic preaching the need for patience from the fans because it'll take some time to rebuild. The irony. The absolute definition of irony.

He also gave props to the young guys as a whole. Said he likes the young talent. Also said he was working with Ingram in practice yesterday (those videos we saw) on taking contact rather than avoiding contact. He said Ingram today wasn't shying away from the contact. Also, individually gave props to Brandon on a shot he made while he was doing the interview.

If Magic was a change for good, then he has to beat the timeline Mitch and Co were on. Playoffs. 2 Years. Period.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
akk7 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Basically this.

If Magic was a change for good, then he has to beat the timeline Mitch and Co were on. Playoffs. 2 Years. Period.

Why are you holding him and our current players to another timeline when no one has spoken of one?

Let's just kick back and wait this out. I'm not happy at all with how this shakeup went down, but so far the direction and communication with fans has been good - actually the communication has been better than Mitch and Jim's.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
akk7 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Basically this.

Why are you holding him and our current players to another timeline when no one has spoken of one?

Let's just kick back and wait this out. I'm not happy at all with how this shakeup went down, but so far the direction and communication with fans has been good - actually the communication has been better than Mitch and Jim's.

They'er begging for patience they clearly weren't willing to extend to others. That doesn't tug at my heartstrings at all.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

They'er begging for patience they clearly weren't willing to extend to others. That doesn't tug at my heartstrings at all.

That's fair. Plays into how this was handled, which I agree was coldly and overall poorly.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
akk7 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Basically this.

Saying to have patience, and then doing things that try that patience (e.g. bad moves like MozDeng) is dramatically different than saying to have patience and then immediately doing things that then backs up said request
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Funny thing I'm noticing on Spectrum postgame, 710, and Magic's comments in his mid-game interview... Everyone is preaching patience now with the rebuild and the Lou Will trade, but this is the same thing Mitch and Jim did.

So is it Jeanie controlling the narrative on Spectrum, or is Magic kind of already doing a better job communicating patience and a direction than Mitch and Jim did?

I think the answer is... both. I was always kind of annoyed by how Mitch and Jim avoided the media like the plague instead of using it to their advantage.

So, everyone is patient now!
well its not jim or mitch's fault. its actually the fans.

the only reason the fans are patient NOW. and now means at the moment. is because they got their wish. "fire someone"

the lakers did that. so their guts are full now. if their guts get emtpy again after a nice period after this meal. the same fans will be impatient again.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm a Mitch fan and am peeved they let him go. But Magic is doing precisely what Jim failed to do which is build a narrative. We all know Jim had Jeanie to contend with as well as the need to fight the nepotism stigma. But in three days Magic has done more to build a narrative than Jim did in four plus years.

Jim refused to put himself out there, perhaps because he was scared of the criticism that comes along with it or perhaps because his ego got in the way. But he let Jeanie do what she did because he didn't stay out in front of it (and when he did give interviews it was usually a train wreck).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 56 of 57
Jump to: