OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
He's only making 49.1% of his shots between 0-3 feet, worst on the team. Not something I would have noticed w/o that stat. Wonder what that's about.
interesting. As Nash suggested my first thought would be that it's a strength issue, banging with stronger players at the rim probably throws him off. Both the eye test and his 3-10 feet 51% efficiency suggest that it's not a touch issue.

Here are our bigs' shooting percentage from 3-10 feet.

Zubac: 51.1%
Nance: 48.8%
Mozgov: 34.5%
Randle: 34.1%
Black: 28.1%

BTW, Zubac has only played 24 total games. The first seven scattered between DNP's. He shot 29.4% from the field in those seven games. He officially entered the rotation 17 games ago. In that stretch, he's shooting 54.2% from the field. I imagine a lot of the 49.1% from 0-3 can be explained by the poor shooting in those first seven games.

Man oh man, this guy is going to be a damn good player. His per 36 numbers since entering the rotation:

16.7 points
11.2 rebounds
2.64 right handed blocks
0.0 left handed blocks

54.2 fg%

P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
He's only making 49.1% of his shots between 0-3 feet, worst on the team. Not something I would have noticed w/o that stat. Wonder what that's about.

I looked at some of his shooting/scoring stats on NBA.com. Two things stood out.

Shot Type
Dunk: 10-12 (.833)
Hook: 14-24 (.583)
Layup: 21-45 (.469)
Tip Shot: 5-13 (.385)

He probably just hasn't found his touch yet.

Tip Shots are what's hurting the overall %. I don't know many coaches that would complain about any of that - tip shots show a lot of hustle, and are generally low % shots anyway
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

yeah man it's time to throw this guy into the starting lineup. If Ingram deserves the start over Deng based on development, then Zubac also deserves the same nod imo until proven otherwise.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
yeah man it's time to throw this guy into the starting lineup. If Ingram deserves the start over Deng based on development, then Zubac also deserves the same nod imo until proven otherwise.

Definitely.

And it's not a gripe against Tarik Black either because I like him. But he should be served as a backup with Zubac starting going forward.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I looked at some of his shooting/scoring stats on NBA.com. Two things stood out.

Shot Type
Dunk: 10-12 (.833)
Hook: 14-24 (.583)
Layup: 21-45 (.469)
Tip Shot: 5-13 (.385)

He probably just hasn't found his touch yet.

Tip Shots are what's hurting the overall %. I don't know many coaches that would complain about any of that - tip shots show a lot of hustle, and are generally low % shots anyway

Actually, it's the layups that hurt him the most.
Here's Gasol:

Shot Type
Dunk: 18-18 (100%)
Hook: 59-110 (53.6%)
Layup: 62-98 (63.3%)
Tip Shot: 4-7 (57.1$)

2 things jump out:
1) Zubac takes a higher concentration of his close-range shots as layups vs. Marc. Nearly 50% of Zubac's close range shots are layups.
2) Zubac is bad at converting layups.

Gasol has hovered around 65% his entire career.

I haven't paid attention to this on the tape so I'm not sure why it is that his layup percentage is so low, though. Maybe he's just too skinny like Ingram?
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Not surprised Zubs shoots better from 3+ than close to the basket. He's not a quick leaper around the basket but he has nice touch.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Very interesting numbers you guys. Hopefully experience and a summer of NBA training in the weight room is the answer to Zu finishing better near the rim. Those other numbers has me very excited. The kid is still only 19
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Also from last night game, I'm fine with him getting pushed around on defense, I was more upset at the fact that he wasn't even looking at the goal when he would catch the ball around the 3 point line wide open.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
nash wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Just like Ingram he lacks strength and is often of the balance when someone put a body on him. He has such a soft touch, with a couple of seasons of conditioning it may not be a problem anymore.

One thing I like is that he keeps the ball high, one thing he must improve is lowering his center of gravity with a wider stance to get a better balance around the basket even without the strength, like Pau used to do a lot.

Agreed, and with greater strength and balance (and respect from the refs) some of those close misses on floaters will turn into trips to the line - his FTr is lower than Russell's.

I don't like to complain, but he gets fouled a lot close to the rim with no call.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
interesting. As Nash suggested my first thought would be that it's a strength issue, banging with stronger players at the rim probably throws him off. Both the eye test and his 3-10 feet 51% efficiency suggest that it's not a touch issue.

BTW, Zubac has only played 24 total games. The first seven scattered between DNP's. He shot 29.4% from the field in those seven games. He officially entered the rotation 17 games ago. In that stretch, he's shooting 54.2% from the field. His overall/season FG% jumped from the 29.4 to his current 50.8.... I imagine a lot of the 49.1% from 0-3 can be explained by the poor shooting in those first seven games. I bet it's well over 50% since he's entered the rotation.

Man oh man, this guy is going to be a damn good player. His per 36 numbers since entering the rotation:

16.7 points
11.2 rebounds
2.64 right handed blocks
0.0 left handed blocks
54.2 fg%

Sample size is small, I remember a game where he missed 5 straight tip ins in traffic, this play alone may be ruining his stats

Ps: It seems like I'm learning how to make excuses for the players I like
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
nash wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Just like Ingram he lacks strength and is often of the balance when someone put a body on him. He has such a soft touch, with a couple of seasons of conditioning it may not be a problem anymore.

One thing I like is that he keeps the ball high, one thing he must improve is lowering his center of gravity with a wider stance to get a better balance around the basket even without the strength, like Pau used to do a lot.

Agreed, and with greater strength and balance (and respect from the refs) some of those close misses on floaters will turn into trips to the line - his FTr is lower than Russell's.

I don't like to complain, but he gets fouled a lot close to the rim with no call.

Obvious rookie treatment, total BS.

!...
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

such a good pick by the lakers in the second round...just watched thenbucks game, kid has a great touch around the basket...
augus7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Not surprised Zubs shoots better from 3+ than close to the basket. He's not a quick leaper around the basket but he has nice touch.

I like that when he catches the ball up high he doesn't bring it back down.

Drives me nuts when Howard was here, always getting stripped by players.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

BTW, Zubac has only played 24 total games. The first seven scattered between DNP's. He shot 29.4% from the field in those seven games. He officially entered the rotation 17 games ago. In that stretch, he's shooting 54.2% from the field. I imagine a lot of the 49.1% from 0-3 can be explained by the poor shooting in those first seven games.

16.7 points
11.2 rebounds
2.64 right handed blocks
0.0 left handed blocks

54.2 fg%

Nice.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

#FreeZubac
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
dao wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

16.7 points
11.2 rebounds
2.64 right handed blocks
0.0 left handed blocks

54.2 fg%

Nice.

The amazing thing to me, and it shows the transition the L is making from big to small ball, is that if you look at how many 7 footers ( C / PF ) average 16 pts, 10 Reb, and 2.2 Blks, there is only one guy AD that does that:

16 pts : KAT(24), Brook, Marc, Whiteside, Boogie, AD, LA - 7 guys
10 Reb: 12 guys
2.2 BLK : Gobert, AD

IF Zu is a 16/10/2.2 guy in 32 min, he is one of the best bigs in the league.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
dao wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

16.7 points
11.2 rebounds
2.64 right handed blocks
0.0 left handed blocks

54.2 fg%

Nice.

The amazing thing to me, and it shows the transition the L is making from big to small ball, is that if you look at how many 7 footers ( C / PF ) average 16 pts, 10 Reb, and 2.2 Blks, there is only one guy AD that does that:

How he develops on defense will determine how long he will be able to stay on the floor. He hasn't been taken advantage of like I thought he would in the PnR yet surprisingly.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
dao wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

16.7 points
11.2 rebounds
2.64 right handed blocks
0.0 left handed blocks

54.2 fg%

Nice.

And he only 19 fam.

Unleash my man Zu. Start him, 32+ minutes him, let it (bleep) ride let's go!
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject:

Small sample size but:

3rd in TRB% at 15.7 behind Black and Robinson (my eye test failed, he is better than I thought)

1st in BLK% at 5.1 second is Black at 2.8 (it is not far from elite)

2nd in PER at 16.4 behind Lou that is gone

My time to make a case for one of my favorite players, since age matters, at 19 years old he is officially our best prospect

Ps: it is Zubs thread, so please don't bring other stats to say otherwise
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
nash wrote:
nash wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Obvious rookie treatment, total BS.

Just wait 2 and 3 years from now when he actually gets thos calls....That besides the natural growth with his game, going to be one of the all time big draft steals...
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

just ordered a Zupac Tshirt! Love it...

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/1233561-zupac
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject:

@tynowell just posted this photo

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5zCo9iU4AEPoSU.jpg
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

OMG!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

Don't ever trade Nance either.
Heyvoon24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/836765894332170240

The shirt is very dear to Nance
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 147 of 290
Jump to: