OFFICIAL TARIK BLACK THREAD (Reported to sign with Rockets)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Interesting that Luke went out of his way and stressed Tarik is considered part of the "young core" that is expected to develop as part of the group and is considered part of the long term plans.

I don't know why he wouldn't be.

every contender has stars and players like Tarik...just seems like he is not included in young core in discussions on LG than often

I agree he's not often included in discussions, probably because he'll never be a star. But a tough defensive big who can rim protect, guard perimeter guys, and finish well around the hoop are extremely valuable. He's not just a hustle big. I think his talents are more valuable and hard to come by than Clarkson's.

He gets similar treatment to Nance probably because his focus isn't offensive. Its always Randle, Russell, Ingram and Clarkson. I think Black could be a great back up PF/Center and for cheap.

They get similar attention because both are likely career backups. That isn't a negative, teams don't win without good backups.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Tarik is becoming a definite keeper. I've been most impressed at how he's improving as a passer and decisionmaker out there. He still has his boneheaded plays, but they're fewer and further between.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

His defensive effort is real nice he never quits on a play.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:

TB played good defense tonight and had a nice all-around game again.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

good game Black

I appreciate your game bru

the anti-stat padder
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
good game Black

I appreciate your game bru

the anti-stat padder

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:

plus/minus +46 over the last two games.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Maybe if Byron actually played him last year, the Lakers wouldn't have been so desperate throwing 64M at a guy who averaged 6/4 the year before.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
plus/minus +46 over the last two games.

I wonder if the Lakers can go forward with just a Tarik/Zubac center rotation (barring a major trade or surprise in the draft).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Maybe if Byron actually played him last year, the Lakers wouldn't have been so desperate throwing 64M at a guy who averaged 6/4 the year before.

And Tarik probably wouldn't have gotten much more than $6M/year.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Possibly. Although it wasn't really a market for similar guys like Ezeli, Alrich, Dedmon, Bass etc.

Interesting you brought that up. I always had the impression we could have signed Black for a lot less than we did. As we all know, he was hid big time last season.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Possibly. Although it wasn't really a market for similar guys like Ezeli, Alrich, Dedmon, Bass etc.

Interesting you brought that up. I always had the impression we could have signed Black for a lot less than we did. As we all know, he was hid big time last season
Without question. I think it was done for salary matching purposes for a trade.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Interesting you brought that up. I always had the impression we could have signed Black for a lot less than we did. As we all know, he was hid big time last season

Which looks like a small, savvy move right now. If only Mitch hadn't given out those contracts to MozDeng...
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject:

I remember holding my breath on rather or not the Lakers would give Black the QO after the Bazemore incident
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject:

More minutes Luke?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Which looks like a small, savvy move right now. If only Mitch hadn't given out those contracts to MozDeng...

Lots of savvy FA moves despite their general failures. The Lou contract, getting free assets for Calderon and Lin, picking up Tarik, finding guys like Bass/ Davis.

Just a mix of desperation mixed with misreading the free agent market. Imagine if we could hand out a max in 2017 and still make George in 2018 possible. We could call Jrue first thing at 12:01 with a max offer.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Lots of savvy FA moves despite their general failures. The Lou contract, getting free assets for Calderon and Lin, picking up Tarik, finding guys like Bass/ Davis.

Just a mix of desperation mixed with misreading the free agent market. Imagine if we could hand out a max in 2017 and still make George in 2018 possible. We could call Jrue first thing at 12:01 with a max offer.

And picking up Tarik midseason in the first place (which I wish they would be willing to do now rather than keep MWP/Huertas around for team bonding exercises). Hell, maintaining cap flexibility for 2016 was a solid, unspectacular move.

It's unfortunate that MozDeng will be the last thing he's likely remembered for, but I guess doing something to build vet continuity seemed better than kicking the can down the road for another year or two. It's just odd that he and his staff have been so good at identifying young talent, but then lack confidence in letting them play without having half the roster filled with veteran crutches.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

*Good read on Tarik!

Tarik Black is Showing Real Improvement, Making his Mark in the Starting Lineup

Quote:
Tarik Black’s journey to becoming the Lakers’ full time starting center has been a bumpy one. First acquired by the team as a waiver pick up in his rookie season, Black saw good minutes on an injury decimated team in Byron Scott’s 1st season. Black posted a 16.3 PER with the team that season and looked like a player who could contribute the following season.

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/02/12/tarik-black-is-showing-real-improvement-making-his-mark-in-the-starting-lineup/#more-21660
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

I hope Lakers don't trade him his energy always helps us when we need to go on a run, he's been a reason we have made some of our comebacks this year.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Tarik has struggled mightily these last two games. I hope he bounces back soon.
However it does open up more minutes for Zubac which is a good thing.

We need them both to play well.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

I don't think the issue is so much him struggling as a player, but rather him being put in a (bleep) position by Luke. He's not a true center against traditional lineups, so it's unfair to expect him to hold his own consistently against guys that are bigger and stronger than him.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Yeah this experiment should end soon. Tarik is at his best as the energy big off the bench, especially when paired with Nance. Time to move Zubac into the starting lineup
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
Yeah this experiment should end soon. Tarik is at his best as the energy big off the bench, especially when paired with Nance. Time to move Zubac into the starting lineup

For better or worse, its time for Zubac to get his baptism under fire as a starter this last stretch of games.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
I think it's more like.. his limitations as an undersized big are clear when he's the starting 5. He looked fine as a 4, when he doesn't need to guard true 7 footers (though today as a 4 he'd have struggled anyways against LMA).

But yeah, he should be the bench big. The problem is Zubac isn't close to being a starter either. But hey, throw him to the wolves. Let him develop
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
bonkers wrote:
I think it's more like.. his limitations as an undersized big are clear when he's the starting 5. He looked fine as a 4, when he doesn't need to guard true 7 footers (though today as a 4 he'd have struggled anyways against LMA).

But yeah, he should be the bench big. The problem is Zubac isn't close to being a starter either. But hey, throw him to the wolves. Let him develop
EXACTLY! at this point we have nothing to lose.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 62 of 66
Jump to: