Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Big Love. Underrated show.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Saw him promoting his TV show on Good Day LA last week.....
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
No mention of Tombstone?

Tombstone is beast. Just saying when people talk about the icons of action flick, it usually begins and ends with those 3 franchises. But yeah, the rest of his body of work was awesome. Tombstone, Twister, Apollo 13, True Lies etc. Pretty much any of these movies I'll stop and watch if I'm channel surfing.

Rip Bill .
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

I will miss his unique presence. RIP
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

This dude was just an awesome presence. He left us way too soon. I enjoyed him in everything he did. Damn.

RIP.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Very shocking and sad news, I just watched his new/current show Training Day yesterday and really enjoyed this show.

My favorite role of him was in True Lies, he was awesome it that!

People don't typically die during surgery, and I would expect some lawsuits to follow...

It was heart surgery so it wasn't any routine surgery.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Agree on Bill. He was great in 2 Guns even with Denzel and Walberg.

But if you have not seen him and Billy Bob in Sam Raimi's A Simple Plan. See it please. Beautiful movie in developing the story, how the characters change over time, and the scenery. Wonderful and tense stuff.
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Great body of work but I'll always remember him for his not so prestigious role as Chet from Weird Science...

Damn!

One of those characters (from my childhood) you just never forget.

RIP
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

MAJIC wrote:
Great body of work but I'll always remember him for his not so prestigious role as Chet from Weird Science...

Damn!

One of those characters (from my childhood) you just never forget.

RIP

He was awesome in Weird Science! Just a few days ago, NPZ, Dlade and I were reminiscing about this movie .
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

I wonder what's going to happen to Training Day? When I googled cast and crew he was only listed in 6 episodes.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Fantastic actor. His performance on Apollo 13 is one of my faves. Always brought personality and color to whatever role he was cast in. For some reason whenever I think of him, I think of Arnie elbowing him in the face in 'True lies'. Another underrated comedic performance. Sad loss man, RIP
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I wonder what's going to happen to Training Day? When I googled cast and crew he was only listed in 6 episodes.

I did a search and found an interview with Bill talking about how his son appears in Episode 8. But I don't have any idea of how many shows are in process...

I'm thinking if he elected to have some sort of heart surgery it would have been after the shooting of season one concluded (otherwise we would have probably heard he had emergency surgery).

CSI's and Law & Order's shuffled people in and out and Spartacus replaced their main start for 3 more seasons after Andy's death, so there is a slight chance that the Training Day producers will take a look at the ratings and if positive may seek out some seasoned actor to step into the role...
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

He's was like Morgan Freeman. You could just sit and listen to him talk all day. When I think about Titanic, it's just snippets of him talking that come to mind despite all of the other iconic fluffery. Today is a sad day.

DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

two roles come to mind

Fred Haise in Apollo 13, i thought he was kick ass as his character in that movie.

The car dealer guy in True lies :

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WRf6Q1o7PE][/url]

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:
two roles come to mind

Fred Haise in Apollo 13, i thought he was kick ass as his character in that movie.

The car dealer guy in True lies :

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WRf6Q1o7PE][/url]

He was great in that role.

There was a scene at the end of the movie when Jamie Lee put the lipstick tube in his ribs like it was a gun, he urinated on himself. I've since seen the movie and they don't show the urination running off his shoe, just him running off. Is there a reason?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Just read 13 episodes were made, ratings have been low, so the network is not sure if it is going to return...
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject:

Forgot to post that "True Lies" was on one of my cable channels late last night. Bill Paxton was just so damn good in this. Some of the lines I remember...

"Let's face it, Harry. The 'Vette gets em..."

"I have to remind myself of the fear you must be feeling. You see, for me, fear is not an option."

"I'm not a spy. I'm nothing! I'm navel lint!"

"I have to lie to women to get laid. And I don't score much...I got a little (bleep), it's pathetic!"

"Would a spy pee himself?"

Honestly, it was Best Supporting Actor-worthy. If Marisa Tomei could win an Oscar for "My Cousin Vinny" for a great comedic turn, I see no idea why a performance like this couldn't have been acknowledged. Maybe I'm a little biased, but this dude just stole every scene he was in. Kind of like Alan Rickman, another one of my favorites.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/bill-paxtons-family-files-wrongful-death-suit-against-hospital-surgeon/ar-BBJ3BgX

Quote:
Bill Paxton's family files wrongful death suit against hospital, surgeon

The late actor Bill Paxton's family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles and the surgeon who operated on Paxton, who died Feb. 25, 2017, at age 61.

According to a news release, Paxton's family contends that the surgeon, Ali Khoynezhad, performed an improper procedure that led to the death of the actor, whose cause of death was listed as a stroke, suffered 11 days after he underwent heart surgery.

The family contends that Khoynezhad's actions, and the inactions of Cedars-Sinai, caused Paxton to suffer the complications that resulted in his death, according to the release, which cites court documents.

Khoynezhad left his position as a surgeon at Cedars-Sinai shortly after Paxton's death, according to the release. "We are pursuing accountability and justice from a physician and a hospital that failed to adequately protect Mr. Paxton," attorney Steve Heimberg says in the release.

The complaint alleges that Paxton consulted Khoynezhad, Cedars-Sinai and other defendants in connection with cardiac conditions that included bicuspid aortic valve and aortic aneurysm. The document says Khoynezhad and others recommended that Paxton undergo surgery for aortic aneurysm.

"Based upon information and belief, heart surgery was not indicated," the complaint says.

Paxton underwent surgery on Feb. 14, 2017. "Defendants ... misrepresented and/or concealed information relating to the risks of surgery and care that would be provided and/or failed to adequately explain the proposed treatment or procedure and/or failed to disclose that (Khoynezhad) was going to use a high risk and unconventional surgical approach with which he lacked experience and which was, based upon information and belief, beyond the scope of his privileges," the suit says.

The document says that Paxton suffered multiple complications and that Khoynezhad was not in the operating room ("and based upon information and belief, not in the hospital") when the actor began suffering the complications.

The suit alleges that the surgeon left "without arranging for continuous care and coverage ... and failed to timer return to the operating room upon notification of the complications, causing a delay in treatment resulting in damage. "
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/bill-paxtons-family-files-wrongful-death-suit-against-hospital-surgeon/ar-BBJ3BgX

Quote:
Bill Paxton's family files wrongful death suit against hospital, surgeon

The late actor Bill Paxton's family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles and the surgeon who operated on Paxton, who died Feb. 25, 2017, at age 61.

According to a news release, Paxton's family contends that the surgeon, Ali Khoynezhad, performed an improper procedure that led to the death of the actor, whose cause of death was listed as a stroke, suffered 11 days after he underwent heart surgery.

The family contends that Khoynezhad's actions, and the inactions of Cedars-Sinai, caused Paxton to suffer the complications that resulted in his death, according to the release, which cites court documents.

Khoynezhad left his position as a surgeon at Cedars-Sinai shortly after Paxton's death, according to the release. "We are pursuing accountability and justice from a physician and a hospital that failed to adequately protect Mr. Paxton," attorney Steve Heimberg says in the release.

The complaint alleges that Paxton consulted Khoynezhad, Cedars-Sinai and other defendants in connection with cardiac conditions that included bicuspid aortic valve and aortic aneurysm. The document says Khoynezhad and others recommended that Paxton undergo surgery for aortic aneurysm.

"Based upon information and belief, heart surgery was not indicated," the complaint says.

Paxton underwent surgery on Feb. 14, 2017. "Defendants ... misrepresented and/or concealed information relating to the risks of surgery and care that would be provided and/or failed to adequately explain the proposed treatment or procedure and/or failed to disclose that (Khoynezhad) was going to use a high risk and unconventional surgical approach with which he lacked experience and which was, based upon information and belief, beyond the scope of his privileges," the suit says.

The document says that Paxton suffered multiple complications and that Khoynezhad was not in the operating room ("and based upon information and belief, not in the hospital") when the actor began suffering the complications.

The suit alleges that the surgeon left "without arranging for continuous care and coverage ... and failed to timer return to the operating room upon notification of the complications, causing a delay in treatment resulting in damage. "

Damn.

These things are usually very difficult to win in court. Although there was malpractice in Joan Rivers' death, and her family won a huge settlement from the outpatient clinic that screwed up.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

11/22/63

https://shoeuntied.wordpress.com/2017/07/10/the-day-actor-bill-paxton-saw-jfk-112263/

I was 8 also and going to a Catholic school at the time...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

http://people.com/movies/bill-paxtons-surgeon-hospital-deny-responsibility-for-death/

Quote:
Bill Paxton's Surgeon and Hospital Deny Responsibility for His Death

The surgeon and hospital Bill Paxton’s family are suing for wrongful death are denying responsibility, claiming that the actor knew his surgery would be risky.

The Big Love star’s family and estate have accused surgeon Ali Khoynezhad and the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center of providing the actor with “negligent diagnosis, management, and treatment,” which they say led to the complications that resulted in the actor’s death last Feb. 25. He was 61.

But in an answer to the wrongful death complaint filed Thursday and obtained by The Blast, Dr. Khoynezhad and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center argued, “At all times … [Paxton and his estate] were aware of certain dangers and risks involved in the examination, diagnosis, operations surgery and medical care rendered to [Paxton].”

Furthermore, they claim Paxton and his estate were aware that the actor had “an existing condition” that made the operation more dangerous.

In their wrongful death complaint, Paxton’s estate made several allegations, all of which the surgeon and hospital denied in the answer they filled to the court. The estate claimed that Cedars-Sinai “misrepresented and/or concealed information relating to the risks of surgery and care that would be provided and/or failed to adequately explain the proposed treatment or procedure.”

The family also claimed that the hospital “failed to disclose that [Dr. Khoynezhad] was going to use a high risk and unconventional surgical approach with which he lacked experience and which was, based upon information and belief, beyond the scope of his privileges.”

In addition, they alleged that Dr. Khoynezhad was “not in the hospital” when Paxton “began suffering the complications” and failed to arrange for “continuous care and coverage” for the actor while he was away. This, the lawsuit alleged, caused “a delay in treatment resulting in damage.”

As a result of the hospital and surgeon’s alleged negligence, Paxton had to undergo a series of procedures that ultimately led to his death ten days later, according to the documents.

“Bill Paxton and his family trusted the physicians and staff at this medical facility but instead Cedars-Sinai betrayed their trust,” said the family’s attorney Bruce Broillet in a statement. “The surgeon’s actions resulted in this tragic and preventable death.”

According to the statement, Dr. Khoynezhad left his position as a surgeon at Cedars-Sinai shortly after Paxton’s death. “We are pursuing accountability and justice from a physician and a hospital that failed to adequately protect Mr. Paxton,” said another attorney for the plaintiffs, Steve Heimberg.

Cedars-Sinai previously issued a statement regarding the lawsuit to PEOPLE: “State and federal privacy laws prevent us from commenting about patient care without written authorization.”

“But we can share the following: Nothing is more important to Cedars-Sinai than the health and safety of our patients,” the statement continued. “These remain our top priorities. One of the reasons for our high quality is that we thoroughly review concerns about any patient’s medical care. This process ensures that we can continue to provide the highest quality care.”

Paxton died of a stroke last year after complications arose during heart surgery to replace a valve and correct an aortic aneurysm. According to the death certificate, the actor had surgery on Feb. 14 and died 11 days later, on the 25th, after suffering a stroke.

“It is with heavy hearts we share the news that Bill Paxton has passed away due to complications from surgery,” a family representative said in a statement at the time. “A loving husband and father, Bill began his career in Hollywood working on films in the art department and went on to have an illustrious career spanning four decades as a beloved and prolific actor and filmmaker. Bill’s passion for the arts was felt by all who knew him, and his warmth and tireless energy were undeniable. We ask to please respect the family’s wish for privacy as they mourn the loss of their adored husband and father.”

Paxton had a lengthy career in Hollywood and was beloved for his roles in the films Terminator (1984), Aliens (1986), Tombstone (1993), Apollo 13 (1995), Twister (1996) and Titanic (1997) — and in 2012, the former star of HBO’s Big Love won an Emmy for his work in the TV mini-series Hatfields and McCoys.

The actor is survived by his two children, James and Lydia, and his wife of 30 years, Louise Paxton.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/bill-paxtons-family-can-seek-punitive-damages-against-cedars-sinai-in-wrongful-death-suit-1235078093/

Quote:
Bill Paxton’s Family Can Seek Punitive Damages Against Cedars-Sinai in Wrongful Death Suit
The late actor's family claims the hospital and his doctor covered up their negligence by not performing an autopsy and they didn't learn one hadn't been done until after the actor had been cremated.

Bill Paxton’s family can seek punitive damages against Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in connection with their claim that it failed to perform an autopsy as promised in an effort to cover up his cause of death, an L.A. judge on Wednesday ruled.

The actor died of a stroke in Feb. 2017 following a heart surgery for aortic aneurysm repair. The family in Feb. 2018 sued the hospital claiming it and its staff were negligent and his doctor recommended an unconventional surgery that he wasn’t properly trained for and didn’t explain the risks. They also allege that the hospital and Dr. Ali Khoynezhad tried to cover up their negligence by not performing an autopsy — and lying to the company hired for the cremation and memorial service. When Forest Lawn Memorial Park noted no autopsy had been done, Khoynezhad allegedly told the company the family “originally planned autopsy but changed their mind.”

Related Stories
Bill Paxton and Amanda Seyfried
TV
Amanda Seyfried Pays Tribute to Screen Father Bill Paxton With Unearthed Photo

MOVIE NEWS
Hollywood Flashback: Shia LaBeouf Starred in Bill Paxton's Golf Flick in 2005
The family alleges Cedars and Khoynezhad “made a promise and representation to Plaintiffs that they would perform an autopsy of William Paxton … with no intention to perform an autopsy on William Paxton so they could conceal their role in causing the death of Mr. Paxton.” They didn’t find out an autopsy hadn’t been done until Paxton had already been cremated and were “horrified” by the revelation, according to their amended complaint.

Cedars in October filed a motion for summary adjudication of the claim, arguing that the family can’t seek punitive damages against the hospital because they haven’t met the standards required to hold the company accountable for its employee’s conduct. It argued they “do not allege that any corporate officer or member of the board of directors had any role in the decisions concerning whether Paxton received an autopsy at Cedars or in communicating with the mortuary related to the family’s wishes concerning an autopsy.”

L.A. County Superior Court Judge Steven J. Kleifield on Wednesday found Cedars ignored the key allegation: that the family was deceived. “Cedars submits no evidence as to who made the misrepresentation to Plaintiffs, who was involved in making the misrepresentation, or who was involved in the decision to not perform the autopsy,” finds Kleifield. “The deception to Forest Lawn was only one act alleged to have been made in furtherance of the fraud against Plaintiffs. Cedars does not address the primary allegation against it. It therefore has not carried its burden on summary adjudication.”

Trial had been slated for March, but earlier this month was delayed due to the COVID-19 omicron variant spike and scheduling issues arising in another suit against Cedars. It is now set to begin Sept. 9.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

The family alleges Cedars and Khoynezhad

!De rodillas, hijos de la chingada!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Yup it’s stuff like this that we were talking about in the Potter thread.

This is when doctors need to be held criminally liable, not just a malpractice case.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Yup it’s stuff like this that we were talking about in the Potter thread.

This is when doctors need to be held criminally liable, not just a malpractice case.

Corrupt SOB's, it sounds like. If the family can prove it wanted an autopsy (and why wouldn't they have wanted one?), and if there are witnesses from Forest Lawn who can testify that the doctor told them that the family had changed its mind, this sounds pretty damaging to the defendants, or at least to the doctor.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: