Investigating the NBA's obsession with The Cheesecake factory

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Investigating the NBA's obsession with The Cheesecake factory

http://firstwefeast.com/features/why-nba-players-love-the-cheesecake-factory/?utm_campaign=fwf&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Quote:
Investigating the NBA's Obsession With The Cheesecake Factory
We surveyed NBA players about the strange cult fanaticism America's no.1-ranked casual-dining chain inspires—and why the brown bread remains the G.O.A.T

It's summertime in Columbus, Ohio. Jared Sullinger and Evan Turner, two Ohio State All-Americans-turned-NBA millionaires, have just wrapped another grueling offseason workout. They're famished, in need of fuel.

So Sullinger and Turner hop in their sports cars and race from campus to the Easton Town Center for a plate of pasta and Skinnylicious salmon, respectively, at The Cheesecake Factory. Last one there has to pick up the check.

"He has a Ferrari, so he wins that one," Sullinger said. "I think he was setting me up."

Their love of America’s no. 1 ranked casual-dining chain—a model of fiscal excellence, with sales reaching up to $1,000 per square foot—is hardly unusual among their NBA peers. Despite their deep pocket books, pro basketball players have an appetite for The Cheesecake Factory that borders on cult fanaticism. Over the years, attempts to crack this strange code between hoops stars and the cheesecake stalwart have mainly come in the form of speculation from team trainers and sports analysts. Those investigations pointed to portion sizes, consistency, and accessible luxury among prevailing motivations driving pro ballers' passion for Cheesecake Factory.

Some of those same explanations resurfaced, in even crisper detail, when we went straight to the source: the players themselves. To get to the bottom of the NBA’s Cheesecake Factory fetish, we stepped into locker rooms at Staples Center in Los Angeles—the Lakers’, the Clippers’, and the visitors’—to ask nearly 30 NBA players the tough questions. You know, like, “What did you order?"; "Do you get the cheesecake when you go?"; and "Why does everyone love the brown bread?”

“It has to be fresh,” Toronto Raptors forward Jared Sullinger insisted about the brown bread. “It’s got to be right out of the oven.”

Every Cheesecake obsession has its own origin story. Trail Blazers guard Allen Crabbe frequented the Factory long before he landed in the league—let alone re-signed with Portland for nearly $75 million this past summer. “Before I was in the NBA, Cheesecake used to be the little date spot,” he said. “I never wanted to change that or thought I was too good for it.”

For many who start out in the league, The Cheesecake Factory is aspirational. For those who rode basketball out of poverty, like Indiana Pacers center Al Jefferson, it’s a quantum leap forward culinarily, but one that won’t break the bank for those managing the budgets of their rookie contracts.

“I think it’s a five-star restaurant with three-star prices,” Jefferson said.

By and large, players become Cheesecake regulars as a matter of convenience. You’ll find at least one in every NBA city, often near the hotels, practice facilities, and arenas. “I used to go a lot my rookie year because in Utah, a lot of restaurants close early,” Jazz big man Rudy Gobert explained. Before him, Enes Kanter was Utah’s Cheesecake King, calling on blondes to join him at his table via Twitter. Nowadays, Gordon Hayward and Alec Burks hold court there.

However hoopers come to their Cheesecake habits, the ones that stick around do so for similar reasons. The quality and reliability of the food from location to location. The giant portions. The extensive menu. All of these factors make the Cheesecake Factory an ideal stomping ground for big athletes with even bigger appetites who dine out in groups. "There’s always this one giant round table for us," says Chicago Bulls center Robin Lopez. "If you’re in a big group sitting at a round table, you feel really legendary."

Here, in their own words, NBA players explain why they can’t get enough of the Cheesecake Factory.
Chris Paul

Locker-room chatter: "Once upon a time, that was the place to go to. We used to go pretty often when I lived, before I moved out to Calabasas. Usually, if my wife’s out of town or something like that, it’s just me with the kids; that’s where we’re going."

Nick Young

Allen Crabbe

Locker-room chatter: "I’m a huge fan of Cheesecake Factory. Before I was in the NBA, Cheesecake used to be the little date spot. I never wanted to change that or thought I was too good for it. We got one in Portland, and I go there all the time. Probably about 15 minutes [away]. I can make the drive over there."

Robin Lopez

Metta World Peace

Locker-room chatter: "People like it. The young players, you know? It’s a craving, especially if you’re young. I don’t know how many NBA players actually grew up lower class, but I’m assuming a lot. Cheesecake Factory is something you always wanted to go to. It looks like it’s fine dining. Can we invest in the Cheesecake Factory at a discount? Seriously. Ask them, then you can call me and figure this out. Invest a dollar and we get 2 dollars back. I’ll take it."

David West

Al Jefferson

Locker-room chatter: "I love it. When I first got in the league, it was my go-to spot. It’s like a 5-star restaurant with 3-star prices. Like, (bleep), coming from Mississippi, it was a 5-star restaurant."

Julius Randle

Jared Sullinger

Locker-room chatter: "There’s one in my hometown, Columbus Ohio. Actually, me and Evan Turner used to always go there. We were like, 'The first one gets there doesn’t have to pay the bill.' That used to be our thing. He has a Ferrari so he wins that one. I think he was setting me up. When you’re in college, Cheesecake Factory is like a 5-star restaurant. Next thing you know, you’ve got good vets that take you certain places. And then when you get that second contract or, hell, after you collect a couple paychecks, you go to those places because you can manage your money like that. Cheesecake is still on the list if it needs me."

Jamal Crawford

Evan Turner

Locker-room chatter: "Cheesecake—that’s huge for me coming up. You’ve got to appreciate the versatility they bestow upon you every time you walk through the door. In Boston, I lived up the street from a Cheesecake Factory. Now, you run into the 5-star dining and all that nonsense. I be tired of that sometimes."

Zach Randolph

Rudy Gobert

Locker-room chatter: "Alec Burks goes every day. I mean, the menu—you can get everything."

Reggie Jackson

Locker-room chatter: For me, I just like the dim lighting, chill vibe, the temptation of the dessert. I didn't realize it was so popular in the NBA. Other than Drake rapping about, it's probably just that everybody has a little inner fat side, so everybody probably wants to get a treat from time to time."

Devin Booker

CJ Miles

Locker-room chatter: "In Utah I was going with vets. That Utah team was a little younger. It was like me, Deron (Williams), Paul (Millsap), Ronnie Price. Boozer would go with us sometimes. It wasn’t a money thing [though]."

Trevor Booker

Zaza Pachulia

Image via First We Feast Original

Stanley Johnson

Glenn Robinson III

Locker-room chatter: "I’m not a huge cheesecake fan myself, but my mom always gets Oreo cheesecake. The menu got everything on it. Strawberry lemonade is good..."
*CJ Miles interrupts* “That (bleep) is fire. It’s like diabetes in a cup!"

Tarik Black

Norman Powell

Locker-room chatter: "Cheesecake is one of my favorite places to go to when I’m back in L.A. I feel like it’s a hot spot. Good but not too expensive. They have one in Santa Monica, and then there's one over in Beverly Hills that I used to go to when I was in college."

Bobby Portis

Locker-room chatter: "The music they play in there is pretty nice. They have good waitresses that really come back to you and just serve you well too. They don’t just come every 30 minutes. They come like every 10 minutes to make sure that you’re good."

Jose Calderon

Myles Turner

Locker-room chatter: "They had a red velvet cheesecake I liked a lot. I had a raspberry white chocolate one that was pretty good, too. I’ve never had them all. There are so many."
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject:

It's so odd. I find Cheesecake Factory, minus the cheesecake, to be awful. I'll eat at Yard House any time over CF.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

athletes are a far cry from being the most culturally expanding people around so its no surprise that a majority of them stick with the common places they know. Same reason why McDonalds is a very popular fast food place for athletes as well.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
athletes are a far cry from being the most culturally expanding people around so its no surprise that a majority of them stick with the common places they know. Same reason why McDonalds is a very popular fast food place for athletes as well.

That's true. I also forget sometimes, we're talking about a lot of guys in their 20s, some on the early side of that. It's probably considered a decent place for a younger adult to go to.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Probably because they are on the road all the time, they would tend to go to chain restaurants because of the familiarity with the menu. If we know anything about athletes is that they have routines they don't break.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

Not sure about it being a menu in season, but I remember McDonalds is very popular among Olympic athletes because its free food in the Olympic village and its junk food they can feast on after all their athletic competitions are done.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
It's so odd. I find Cheesecake Factory, minus the cheesecake, to be awful. I'll eat at Yard House any time over CF.

I like CF... one of the few chain places I frequent. Clearly a tier or 2 above chains like TGIF, AppleBees, Chili's, etc.
What I liked even more was Grand Lux back when they tried to make it a tier above CF (and closed the one in Beverly Hills).
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

They're jocks.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Large portions.

!...
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

CCF has good food. Their chicken littles, salads and sandwiches are good. Elitists will say it's bad food, but its definitely better than a normal chain restaurant.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to go down to the Cheesecake Factory and have a drink.
jestersmash
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

I think some dishes are tasty and their brown bread (when fresh) is very good, especially for a chain but even in spite of it.

I was super lucky to grow up in a relatively affluent household (household income > $1 million, net worth > $10 million) and I had the freedom to eat out for every meal if I wanted to. I'm a huge fan of Michelin star dining. I've been to hundreds of one and two michelin star restaurants and 7 (out of ~81) three michelin star restaurants and there's no question that a common chain like cheesecake factory can't hold a candle to them, but I still find myself craving Cheesecake factory's lousiana chicken pasta on occasion.

It's terrible stuff - it's basically cream, spicy oil, and low to mid grade parmesan cheese at a 500-1000% premium from what you could probably make on your own at home, but it's consistent and barring the money it tastes good.

I feel the same way about Carrabba's fettuccine alfredo. Carrabba's is an italian chain in the same league of Olive Garden (although IMO Carrabba's has tastier pasta options than Olive Garden).

The thing about CF is that your mileage will vary depending on what you order. I tried their $30 filet mignon one time out of sheer curiosity and it was far and away the worst filet I have ever eaten even for $30 which is on the lower end for restaurant filets.
jestersmash
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

I know grand lux cafe is supposed to be a "tier" above CF, but remarkably I found my particular pasta dish at grand lux cafe to be extremely lacking and vastly inferior to CF's lousiana chicken pasta. However, grand lux cafe's warm dessert options (including but not limited to a molten chocolate cake and beignets) were probably a slight cut above any cheesecake offering at CF.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Large portions.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
They're jocks.

City_Dawg wrote:
Large portions.

Yep
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

I thought millenials really never liked McDonalds or fast food restaurant and more gear toward fast casual.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

I thought millenials really never liked McDonalds or fast food restaurant and more gear toward fast casual.

Millennials = stunted, they'll eat anything
HeatCandela
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject:

I'll eat at Yoshinoya before Cheesecake Factory....
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject:

HeatCandela wrote:

Hmm...

You're not originally from Lake Forest, are you?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
now you just lost me. Yard house.... is better than CF? Not today, not yesterday, not ever.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Drake too

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3vR72y3hN9M02yQM/giphy-facebook_s.jpg

We cannot be friends
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject:

I think people just like it cuz the menu's big... Millenials are indecisive we like options
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
HeatCandela wrote:

Hmm...

You're not originally from Lake Forest, are you?

ROFL
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: