Cousins traded to Pelicans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
For sure. Holiday and a few guys come off the books this summer. They'll have something like 20-25M to play around with in the off-season. I mentioned it on the day he was traded (and I'm sure others have come to the same conclusion as well), but the Pelicans would be an ideal landing spot for Chris Paul. The Clippers may be past their expiration date and AD/Boogie is a massive upgrade over Blake/DeAndre imo.

Hard to disagree, and a great homecoming story to boot!

Someone told me Chris Paul had already verbally agreed to an extension? Is this true at all?

That's what I had read too. Most likely he stays with the Clippers. It's really hard to make a change of that magnitude when you're already making the playoffs annually. Purely from a basketball standpoint though, the Pels seem like a much better opportunity.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

If a healthy Clipper teams get to the conference finals and fails I believe they'll be blown up. If they don't get to the conference finals I think they'll be blown up.

CP3 wants a ring. I don't think the Pelicans are ready to get one right now. He's at the age where his window is closing. I don't see a team he'll make a instant contender.

I know it's far fetched but Philly is a coming team. I want to see how they fare when they're healthy. I wish Chris had a few more years.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

I feel CP3 won't leave LA market due to financial reasons. Not just a bigger contract but endorsements too.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
For sure. Holiday and a few guys come off the books this summer. They'll have something like 20-25M to play around with in the off-season. I mentioned it on the day he was traded (and I'm sure others have come to the same conclusion as well), but the Pelicans would be an ideal landing spot for Chris Paul. The Clippers may be past their expiration date and AD/Boogie is a massive upgrade over Blake/DeAndre imo.

Hard to disagree, and a great homecoming story to boot!

Someone told me Chris Paul had already verbally agreed to an extension? Is this true at all?

That's what I had read too. Most likely he stays with the Clippers. It's really hard to make a change of that magnitude when you're already making the playoffs annually. Purely from a basketball standpoint though, the Pels seem like a much better opportunity.

agreed. If I were him I'd def keep my options open.

But who am I kidding cuz if I were him I would sued the NBA before I a allowed myself to rot on the clippers lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
I feel CP3 won't leave LA market due to financial reasons. Not just a bigger contract but endorsements too.

Rollin' in that State Farm dough
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
the association wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Can that frontcourt really work though?

oh yea. cousins can dribble like a pg. he's a very talented and clever player. you can't take you're eye off of him, unlike any other big int he league. and now he's paired with davis, who can basically do everything and is athletic. it's unstoppable as far as i can see.

30 point loss on their home floor to kick-off this sanguine Pelicans era suggests otherwise ...

cousins looked great today. what's your point, that he sucks?

There are two points, actually: (1) great individual play doesn't always translate into actual team success ... you lived through the 2005 - 2007 timeframe just like the rest of us, so this shouldn't come as a surprise to you. And (2) great talent on a team lacking team-oriented leadership doesn't always translate into actual team success, either ... again, you lived through the 2011 - 2013 timeframe just like the rest of us, so this shouldn't come as a surprise to you.

Cousins is a great talent, and he's capable of selfless leadership. But it won't be easy, and they certainly looked stoppable on Day 1 ...

these are some wildly concrete conclusions you are coming to from his first game. that's just ridiculous. You must have a special eye for basketball.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
the association wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
the association wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Can that frontcourt really work though?

oh yea. cousins can dribble like a pg. he's a very talented and clever player. you can't take you're eye off of him, unlike any other big int he league. and now he's paired with davis, who can basically do everything and is athletic. it's unstoppable as far as i can see.

30 point loss on their home floor to kick-off this sanguine Pelicans era suggests otherwise ...

cousins looked great today. what's your point, that he sucks?

There are two points, actually: (1) great individual play doesn't always translate into actual team success ... you lived through the 2005 - 2007 timeframe just like the rest of us, so this shouldn't come as a surprise to you. And (2) great talent on a team lacking team-oriented leadership doesn't always translate into actual team success, either ... again, you lived through the 2011 - 2013 timeframe just like the rest of us, so this shouldn't come as a surprise to you.

Cousins is a great talent, and he's capable of selfless leadership. But it won't be easy, and they certainly looked stoppable on Day 1 ...

these are some wildly concrete conclusions you are coming to from his first game. that's just ridiculous. You must have a special eye for basketball.

Says the fortuneteller who proclaimed the Pelicans unstoppable BEFORE they had played as much as a single game. That's pretty rich - even for you, SBR ...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

It was also revealed today that Ballmer wants to build an arena specifically for the Clippers next to the new Inglewood stadium. So if Clippers have their own building as well, that would probably entice CP3 to stay.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Pelicans lose again to fall to 0-2 since the trade, Cousins whines about the trade, and I'm wondering how long it's going to take for this guy to make the playoffs. This is a guy that wanted $200 million? Amazing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

There will be an adjustment period....this is why I don't think the Pelicans will win enough games to move up the standings past the 8th seed. Its 8th seed or bust at this point.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Duncan and Robinson rolling over in the their graves for being compared to these two

the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject:

#unstoppable
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

An 0 - 3 start to the AD + Cousins marriage in NOLA isn't necessarily a predictor of the long-term prospects for the Pelicans, but the premature talk about this pairing being unstoppable was obviously ill-advised ...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Not impossible to make up a 3 game lead from the Nuggets but they are running out of games. Only 22 games left in the season for them to make a run for the 8th seed.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Cousins 26, Davis 23. Miss the playoffs get into the lottery, hope to get a good slot to grab a quality player. With that core and team so young NO has a great foundation to build on. Look at the age on this roster. Jack is the oldest at 33. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Cousins 26, Davis 23. Miss the playoffs get into the lottery, hope to get a good slot to grab a quality player. With that core and team so young NO has a great foundation to build on. Look at the age on this roster. Jack is the oldest at 33. LINK

I guess that's the upside hope, jodeke, but what about the injury gamble when you essentially place your bet on two big men, neither of whom has been an ironman in the past few years ... ?

Between them, they have three seasons of at least 70 games played ... in 11 combined seasons before the current one. Cousins appears to carry excessive weight, which will probably impact the length of his career. On the other hand, AD seems to have a fragile musculoskeletal system, which may also impact the length of his career.

I don't know ... I know they don't seem unstoppable ... beyond that, we'll have to wait and see.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject:

Maybe we should have traded for Cousins to help us with the tank. 0-3 is an impressive start.

If the guy gets an enormous contract he will be like the Carmelo of the East, except he wins less than Carmelo.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject:

Boogie needs to grow up quick. He's at a nice situation with AD (both under 27 yrs old). They can build this team in the next 2 - 3 years once Boogie re-up and be a real contender
But his body language during the game against OKC... not good. Still gets upset at referee, doesn't clap during teammate free throw when he was on bench
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I guess that's the upside hope, jodeke, but what about the injury gamble when you essentially place your bet on two big men, neither of whom has been an ironman in the past few years ... ?

Between them, they have three seasons of at least 70 games played ... in 11 combined seasons before the current one. Cousins appears to carry excessive weight, which will probably impact the length of his career. On the other hand, AD seems to have a fragile musculoskeletal system, which may also impact the length of his career.

I don't know ... I know they don't seem unstoppable ... beyond that, we'll have to wait and see.

It's a crap shoot. Injuries are the bane of the NBA. I noticed Boogie really putting effort into staying calm. It's a chore for him.

AD does seem a little fragile. Maybe with Cousins in the lineup he won't have to bang as much.

A good coaching staff is key. Someone to keep Cousins in line and manage minutes for both. Playing them together is also something that's going to take a lot of planning. They both have good low post games and are good perimeter shooters.

Gentry has his job cut out for him. This rosters says he has to win. With a little luck in the lottery the future looks promising for the Pels.

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

They traded their 1st Round pick for Cousins.

And building around two high usage bigs was never gonna work, but some folks are gonna ram their head into that same wall over and over again regardless.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
jodeke wrote:

They traded their 1st Round pick for Cousins.

And building around two high usage bigs was never gonna work, but some folks are gonna ram their head into that same wall over and over again regardless.

I guess Pau/Bynum & Pau/Dwight didn't provide enough evidence for teams to know lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

This isn't going to work out. But heck for buddy hield it's worth the risk.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject:

The won't win until they some how can get Cousin to control his behavior on the floor. I had a chance to watch OKC vs Pel last night. Booegy was throwing a tantrum after a foul call. I mean he was so incredible angry, he was shaking. Turning around looking for something to hit. I am glad the Lakers didn't get him, not a good influence on younger players
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
This isn't going to work out. But heck for buddy hield it's worth the risk.

And this year's 1st. I'm assuming no protection?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

You're probably right, but on the other hand it isn't like the Pels were on track to becoming a contender. Now they have a chance of attracting some middle tier free agents and becoming consistent 5-8 seed in the playoffs. For the Pels, that would be a good outcome.

If you want an optimistic analogy for the Pels, it would be Zach Randolph and the Grizzlies. Randolph was considered a problem player, but he and Marc Gasoline worked out well. I see your point about high usage bigs, and I agree. Still, there is a path forward for the Pels that is better than what they had before.

But I'm betting on Cousins to screw the whole thing up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: