Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 400, 401, 402 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Terribly late stoppage. Browne took more unnecessary punishment tonight than Kings fans.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Terribly late stoppage. Browne took more unnecessary punishment tonight than Kings fans.

Savage!
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Nice
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:

If GSP is coming back to face Bisping, Hendricks, Silva, etc. it makes sense. Lower risk fights while continuing to add to his legacy all while giving the UFC some PPV's. Personally, I'd like to see him face the Eagle, Ferguson or Rockhold, Gegard, Jaccari and Romero.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Khabib with the surprising comic gold.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Who do you guys got this weekend? Khabib with the most ferocious mma wrestling in the world vs one of the most unique fighters in the UFC roster in Ferguson. Tough man...Khabib is such a monster but Tony has such a huge length advantage.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Who do you guys got this weekend? Khabib with the most ferocious mma wrestling in the world vs one of the most unique fighters in the UFC roster in Ferguson. Tough man...Khabib is such a monster but Tony has such a huge length advantage.

I see what you mean, this is a tough one to pick:

Khabib has only fought twice in the last 34 months, he won them both but his last win (Dec-2016) was not against a opponent anywhere near as tough as Fergy! If Khabib can rise to the level of his opponent, then he may win, but also important is that 3 of his last 5 fights have gone the distance and his last fight went into the 3rd round, so it is not like he has been destroying people lately.

Fergy during the same 34 month stretch has had 8 fights - all wins. And he beat Josh Thompson, Dos Anos and Barboza during that streak.. He has won 9 in a row going back nearly 5 years, with his last loss coming to Michael Johnson, who Khabib just beat.....hmmmm

So I will say it this way: I hope Fergy wins and I think he should win, but if he lost I would not be totally surprised.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I see what you mean, this is a tough one to pick:

Khabib has only fought twice in the last 34 months, he won them both but his last win (Dec-2016) was not against a opponent anywhere near as tough as Fergy! If Khabib can rise to the level of his opponent, then he may win, but also important is that 3 of his last 5 fights have gone the distance and his last fight went into the 3rd round, so it is not like he has been destroying people lately.

Fergy during the same 34 month stretch has had 8 fights - all wins. And he beat Josh Thompson, Dos Anos and Barboza during that streak.. He has won 9 in a row going back nearly 5 years, with his last loss coming to Michael Johnson, who Khabib just beat.....hmmmm

So I will say it this way: I hope Fergy wins and I think he should win, but if he lost I would not be totally surprised.

Great points. This is too tough for me to call as well for all the reasons you mention. And like yourself, I do find myself rooting for Ferguson to win but this is a coming out party for the both of them for the casual MMA fan. Wouldn't be surprised with either fighter's hand being raised. I really like them both as fighters. Just two old school warrior mentalities that are as hungry af. This card is what it's all about.
dna.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

So Dana confirmed it will be GSP vs Bisping after all, in a fight later this year.

I definitely think that's an easier fight for GSP after a long time away than, say, a Woodley or many others.

Can't imagine what Bisping's ego will be like if he manages to pull off a win vs GSP though lol
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

dna. wrote:
So Dana confirmed it will be GSP vs Bisping after all, in a fight later this year.

I definitely think that's an easier fight for GSP after a long time away than, say, a Woodley or many others.

Can't imagine what Bisping's ego will be like if he manages to pull off a win vs GSP though lol

GSP's wrestling is probably a bit too good for Bisping, and the move up in weight class won't matter much because GSP walks around at over 200lbs anyway so looking forward to this one.

Even as an English person, I just can't root for Bisping, he annoys me.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
dna. wrote:

GSP's wrestling is probably a bit too good for Bisping, and the move up in weight class won't matter much because GSP walks around at over 200lbs anyway so looking forward to this one.

Even as an English person, I just can't root for Bisping, he annoys me.

GSPs been out of the game for a LONG time though. Then again, it IS GSP.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

who yall got in the Woodley vs Wonderboy rematch?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Woodley by wrestle-(bleep).
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

It's the best option for Ty, unfortunately. Wonderboy caught on to Woodley's attack and timing by the 5th round last time and I imagine, he'll come in far more confident this time but only foolish pride will keep the champ on his feet trying to fight a striking point match with Thompson.

I honestly hope Bisping catches GSP enough to make it a close enough fight for it to be a grind. For as great as he was, I was never really a fan of GSP. Always thought he was on the juice too.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject:

At 35 years old, if "Wonderboy" loses, I think he needs to drop the "boy"...
Laker4andmore
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject:

So now that Anderson is old, GSP is willing to move to middleweight. Hilarious considering GSP spent years running from the division.

Hopefully GSP and Bisping both lose. Romero and Maia must be pissed.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject:

crap... we won't see Romero eviscerate Bisping., which he absolutely would have have. Bisping knows damn well, and was doing anything that he can to duck him.

It's sad that we see Champions playing the duck and choose game these days. Nowadays its about about WWE theatrics., and they even hired that WWE announcer to make it more WWE like. Whatever happened to the days in which you have to face... like the actual #1 contender, rather than parade around with the belt and deciding who to fight next and at which division while creating your opponent check off list?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
crap... we won't see Romero eviscerate Bisping., which he absolutely would have have. Bisping knows damn well, and was doing anything that he can to duck him.

It's sad that we see Champions playing the duck and choose game these days. Nowadays its about about WWE theatrics., and they even hired that WWE announcer to make it more WWE like. Whatever happened to the days in which you have to face... like the actual #1 contender, rather than parade around with the belt and deciding who to fight next and at which division while creating your opponent check off list?

Lol, stop it. Bisping already agreed to it until the $ fight showed up. This entire "ducking" needs to just die. None of these guys at the top duck. Period. It's flippantly thrown around to a laughable extent. They're just not stupid. Their time frame to make money is beyond limited and is worse than any sport out there. Blame the game, they gotta get the $ where it is.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

Lol, stop it. Bisping already agreed to it until the $ fight showed up. This entire "ducking" needs to just die. None of these guys at the top duck. Period. It's flippantly thrown around to a laughable extent. They're just not stupid. Their time frame to make money is beyond limited and is worse than any sport out there. Blame the game, they gotta get the $ where it is.

See.. there lies the problem. Its about "making money", which can be a clever disguise as picking and choosing whom they want to fight. It is about matchups and yes, that means it is ducking. So in essence, if i can "make more money" against Fight A than fighter B, i am ducking fighter B. Whether Fight B is better than me or not is based on a criteria that I have already determined.

Who wouldnt want to watch Yoel Romero vs. Michael Bisping?
Who wouldnt want to watch Max Halloway vs. McGregor II?

Certainly not fair to the guys that move up and pay their dues. Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, etc., all fought whomever was directly in front of them and cleaned their respective divisions. Jones took what was considered to be one of the strongest divisions (LHW and LW) and ran through it, and when he left, it was suddenly considered one of the weaker divisions. Would love for a guy like Connor McGregor to do that. I dont think he can, but I would give him mad props if he actually did.

If it was still the old school way (cant believe thats even an old school way!), I suspect Nurmagomedov and Romero would be champs right now. McGregor? Perhaps... if he could get pass Halloway again and depends on how washed up Frankie Edgar is.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

Agree. Bisping was indeed ready to accept the Romero fight (for the very reasons j-dawg states) but he's also been around for a very long time and taken some serious beatings so no way dude could pass up a GSP fight.

I get that people want to see Bisping pummeled again (ala hist first fight with Henderson) but he's about ready to retire in a couple of fights. How many of us would pass up a chance at making 3 times as much for doing our job because we'd rather do it for the love of the game?

And the new owners have got to make that cheese back so they too are looking for the biggest draws and most PPV's when it comes to matchups. It was one of the reasons why I was so perplexed by them trotting out that abysmal 208 card.

We're getting a great pure MMA fight in Ferguson/Khabib and there's plenty more where that came from. It's a business.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

See.. there lies the problem. Its about "making money", which can be a clever disguise as picking and choosing whom they want to fight. It is about matchups and yes, that means it is ducking. So in essence, if i can "make more money" against Fight A than fighter B, i am ducking fighter B. Whether Fight B is better than me or not is based on a criteria that I have already determined.

Who wouldnt want to watch Yoel Romero vs. Michael Bisping?
Who wouldnt want to watch Max Halloway vs. McGregor II?

Certainly not fair to the guys that move up and pay their dues. Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, etc., all fought whomever was directly in front of them and cleaned their respective divisions. Jones took what was considered to be one of the strongest divisions (LHW and LW) and ran through it, and when he left, it was suddenly considered one of the weaker divisions. Would love for a guy like Connor McGregor to do that. I dont think he can, but I would give him mad props if he actually did.

If it was still the old school way (cant believe thats even an old school way!), I suspect Nurmagomedov and Romero would be champs right now. McGregor? Perhaps... if he could get pass Halloway again and depends on how washed up Frankie Edgar is.

Fair enough. I think we just differ on the meaning of ducking. For me it's akin to avoiding a fight with a guy because he's going to piece you up or wait until that guy gets old (boxing is notorious for this).

In any event, if Jones got a one off mega fight against Brock, you can bet he's taking that payday. Likewise, he was vocal about being interested in a superfight/$ against Anderson Silva. That it didn't happen doesn't mean he wouldn't have done the exact same thing if given the opportunity.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

I'd prefer Woodley win too, but I think the fight can go either way
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Wow, bummer. Khabib vs Ferguson is off - Apparently, Khabib couldn't handle the weight cut. Was going to be a great fight.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject:

I wonder why the UFC doesn't implement weigh in check points of some kind. Something where you have to be a certain percentage within the target weight a day or two before the official weigh in.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Wow, bummer. Khabib vs Ferguson is off - Apparently, Khabib couldn't handle the weight cut. Was going to be a great fight.

FFS, you have got to be kidding me. What a terribly disappointing blow. With weight cutting becoming such a hot topic recently, they're going to need to take some sort of action. This was the headliner for a lot of MMA fans. I can't remember this happening in any boxing matches of this magnitude. Damn.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 400, 401, 402 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 401 of 499
Jump to: