20 Years Ago Today: North Hollywood Bank Robbery/Shootout

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: 20 Years Ago Today: North Hollywood Bank Robbery/Shootout

It was a surreal day watching the thing play out on live TV:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Los-Angeles-Marks-20th-Anniversary-of-North-Hollywood-Shootout-414756573.html

http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20170227/20-years-after-the-north-hollywood-shootout-echoes-of-the-terror-remain
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

Surreal is right. I remember the movie Heat had come out a year earlier and comparisons were immediately drawn. Being in SoCal during the early-mid 90's, we had plenty of surreal moments played out on t.v in fact (LA Riots, OJ chase/case, NoHo Shootout).
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

20 Years? Doesn't seem that long ago.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

The 90's were a crazy time for tv news and chases in LA...
We had the OJ chase, which brought an entire new genre of reality TV.
The HMO guy who killed himself on live TV and TV cameras just stayed there for 30 minutes over his dead body.
The North Hollywood shootout, 2 guys who basically shot up the neighborhood and surprisingly nobody got killed except for them.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Surreal is right. I remember the movie Heat had come out a year earlier and comparisons were immediately drawn. Being in SoCal during the early-mid 90's, we had plenty of surreal moments played out on t.v in fact (LA Riots, OJ chase/case, NoHo Shootout).

They found the tape of HEAT in the VCR of one of their apartments in the investigation after. Yes, really.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The HMO guy who killed himself on live TV and TV cameras just stayed there for 30 minutes over his dead body.
The North Hollywood shootout, 2 guys who basically shot up the neighborhood and surprisingly nobody got killed except for them.

Not LA, but still...

Someone even stole the space shuttle and drove it thru LA! yes, jk

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Not LA, but still...

Yep. I remember watching both these. The HMO guy was probably the craziest thing I've seen live. He tried to blow himself up, couldn't stand being burned alive though, so he ran out of his car, stripped naked, considered jumping off the freeway overpass, ran back to his car to grab his shotgun, then blew his head off all on live tv.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

94 Quake...LA Riots
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

I had the day off from school. It was during a time when Lincoln and Washingtons bday were celebrated separately IIRC. The one thing that stands out is watching that 1 guy being taken out by the cops live.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

Yep. I remember watching both these. The HMO guy was probably the craziest thing I've seen live. He tried to blow himself up, couldn't stand being burned alive though, so he ran out of his car, stripped naked, considered jumping off the freeway overpass, ran back to his car to grab his shotgun, then blew his head off all on live tv.

Ugh. I saw the full footage almost right after it happened. It was everywhere real quick, and this was Windows 98 era. I remember the stream of blood stretched across an entire lane of traffic and there were some paramedics or cops in the background laughing and chatting with this scene of horror to their right, but to them that was just another workday. That's just gore, the other desperate scenes you listed before he did it were far more disturbing to watch.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Last Thursday was the 20th anniversary of Elden going 40 & 10 against Ewing at the forum. Ewing went 34 & 25.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Not LA, but still...

They changed procedures for covering news from media helicopters that day because of all the complaints from parents of children who instead of watching cartoons got to see some guy off himself on live tv. Now whenever it looks like something dramatic is happening the media cameras immediately zoom out.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
20 Years? Doesn't seem that long ago.

I know, I remember it as if it was only 19 years ago...!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

To Live and Die in LA.

North Hollywood was a hardcore day for sure, it was shocking at the time.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Ugh. I saw the full footage almost right after it happened. It was everywhere real quick, and this was Windows 98 era. I remember the stream of blood stretched across an entire lane of traffic and there were some paramedics or cops in the background laughing and chatting with this scene of horror to their right, but to them that was just another workday. That's just gore, the other desperate scenes you listed before he did it were far more disturbing to watch.

The most dramatic was at the end, when the news crews realized what they had just broadcasted, started to zoom out, it was like watching the end of MASH, where the guys blood was moving across the freeway while his "HMO's are in it for the money" bed sheet sign was flapping in the wind.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Last Thursday was the 20th anniversary of Elden going 40 & 10 against Ewing at the forum. Ewing went 34 & 25.

Elden even hit a tying 3 late in the game. Then he missed a lunging put-in for the loss. Only Knicks play I can remember was a shot by Starks (maybe...) that hit the glass and rim structure about 27 different times before dropping. I'd like to see what that shot was again.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject:

I was watching TV. BREAKING NEWS cut into the program. I couldn't believe what I was watching. It looked like something out of a Hollywood movie. Real bullets flying everywhere. People really getting shot.

They made this into a movie 44 minutes

My son was a patrol officer at the time. I called his home and was truly relived when he answered the phone. I asked him if he knew what was going on. He said he did, he was also watching TV. He was off duty that day. I asked if he had to report, he said no.

LINK

LINK

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Not LA, but still...

Didn't some guy steal a tank too and drive it all over the freeways before getting it stuck on a divider?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Not LA, but still...

Didn't some guy steal a tank too and drive it all over the freeways before getting it stuck on a divider?

I thought that was in San Diego but it's been awhile.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Not LA, but still...

It was in San Diego.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I was watching TV. <b>BREAKING NEWS</b> cut into the program. I couldn't believe what I was watching. It looked like something out of a Hollywood movie. Real bullets flying everywhere. People really getting shot.

My son was a patrol officer at the time. I called his home and was truly relived when he answered the phone. I asked him if he knew what was going on. He said he did, he was also watching TV. He was off duty that day. I asked if he had to report, he said no.

LINK

LINK

LINK

I saw 44 Minutes once. There were 2 different, but similar TV docs on that event that were better than the movie, imo. One I still have somewhere has the actual cops involved giving their takes. The African-American cop who got caught in the worst line of fire took the most potentially mortal hits. They finally got to him with the Brinks truck. He was bleeding out as his wife was frantically listening to a police radio of his at home. He quit the force after that (naturally). It wouldn't be easy putting on that vest the next time.

I was typing a paper at home during the event that day, so I was able to see the unedited footage. I caught Phillips offing himself with his pistol under his chin. The telly docs detailed the finer points better than the LAT article. Phillips was the crazier of the two. He essentially went Baby Face Nelson mode when he saw cops there to stop them. It played out just like the movie Reservoir Dogs. A patrol car happened to spot the two walking into the bank and called it in, so all that force was there to surprise them when they left. While he was shooting in the open, he got hit by a shotgun blast from one of the cops behind the kiosk across the street, the force of which visibly knocked him off balance. Then he turned around and let loose on them. Eventually, he got hit on the thumb area of his shooting hand, which was a pivotal wound. He dumped his final long gun due to a spent casing jammed in the action. I think that gun was the Chinese AK knockoff. He then suddenly killed himself. The news would often choose not to re-air that scene until a number of years later. I distinctly recall even during the live coverage seeing the puff of smoke from the shot over his head before he dropped in the dirt.

The other slug Matasareanu was a 300 pounder. He got taken out by the two brave muh (bleepahs) who drove up on him on the side of that white car. One of them nearly proned himself out on the ground to shoot him in the legs and ankles. He bled out from shots to his legs. I was glad they let him die. I know that's not the proper thing, but the police's argument that it was still a hot zone when Matasareanu went down was a plausible one. They were so fully armed, who knew if they had bombs or a 3rd accomplice. That's the same trepidation cops probably had during the San Bdno chase and finale.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I was watching TV. <b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b> cut into the program. I couldn't believe what I was watching. It looked like something out of a Hollywood movie. Real bullets flying everywhere. People really getting shot.

LINK

LINK

LINK

I saw 44 Minutes once. There were 2 different, but similar TV docs on that event that were better than the movie, imo. One I still have somewhere has the actual cops involved giving their takes. The African-American cop who got caught in the worst line of fire took the most potentially mortal hits. They finally got to him with the Brinks truck. He was bleeding out as his wife was frantically listening to a police radio of his at home. He quit the force after that (naturally). It wouldn't be easy putting on that vest the next time.

I was typing a paper at home during the event that day, so I was able to see the unedited footage. I caught Phillips offing himself with his pistol under his chin. The telly docs detailed the finer points better than the LAT article. Phillips was the crazier of the two. He essentially went Baby Face Nelson mode when he saw cops there to stop them. It played out just like the movie Reservoir Dogs. A patrol car happened to spot the two walking into the bank and called it in, so all that force was there to surprise them when they left. While he was shooting in the open, he got hit by a shotgun blast from one of the cops behind the kiosk across the street, the force of which visibly knocked him off balance. Then he turned around and let loose on them. Eventually, he got hit on the thumb area of his shooting hand, which was a pivotal wound. He dumped his final long gun due to a spent casing jammed in the action. I think that gun was the Chinese AK knockoff. He then suddenly killed himself. The news would often choose not to re-air that scene until a number of years later. I distinctly recall even during the live coverage seeing the puff of smoke from the shot over his head before he dropped in the dirt.

The other slug Matasareanu was a 300 pounder. He got taken out by the two brave muh (bleepahs) who drove up on him on the side of that white car. One of them nearly proned himself out on the ground to shoot him in the legs and ankles. He bled out from shots to his legs. I was glad they let him die. I know that's not the proper thing, but the police's argument that it was still a hot zone when Matasareanu went down was a plausible one. They were so fully armed, who knew if they had bombs or a 3rd accomplice. That's the same trepidation cops probably had during the San Bdno chase and finale.

I didn't watch the shootout, I only saw it on the news when I came home later in the day. I didn't know that both suspects customized their armor to protect all their vital organs so the service weapons the cops were using against them were useless. I heard they eventually figured out they could use the ricochet of the bullets to their advantage to hit parts of their body that was less protected and that was what brought down the other suspect. Also the guns that the cops bought from the gun shop were never used, the shootout was already over by the time they got back to the scene. I also read that 3 of the cops from that shootout committed suicide years later, so they probably suffered from some form of PTSD.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Not LA, but still...

It was in San Diego.

The tank chase was crazy, there was nothing that could've stopped him except maybe the national guard sending in another tank to stop him. Of course he couldn't fire the cannon considering tanks require another operator to use the gun. But the reason why that chase ended was the idiot tried to smash thru the median and got stuck in the concrete barrier, giving one of the cops a chance to open the hatch and take the suspect out.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote;
Quote:

Lawsuit Filed Over Death of Bank Robber

. LINK
Quote:
The day after the release of an autopsy report concluding that one of the North Hollywood bank robbers slowly bled to death after Los Angeles police shot him, the dead man's mother Friday accused authorities of withholding medical care and letting her son die on the street.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject:

http://articles.latimes.com/1997-04-11/local/me-47591_1_bank-robber

This article gives credence to the unlawful death angle. Even with the Tsarnaev brother that was shot to bits, it was evident from his corpse that a thoracotomy was performed. That's usually the last resort before a patient dies on the table, but he was given their best efforts. But that was Boston. Matasereanu was in the wrooong place to expect a principled show of humanity after starting a pitch assault rifle battle. To quote James Cromwell: "This is the City of the Angels...and you haven't got any wings..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resuscitative_thoracotomy
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: