Useless or annoying stuff that Stu Lantz says
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Useless or annoying stuff that Stu Lantz says

Stu just makes games painful for me to watch. I like or at least tolerate all of the other Lakers announcers but Stu is just awful. I've put together a list of his phrases or habits that just make me want to throw things at my TV screen.

The outdated lingo

Referring to a players first points in the game as a "scratch"

"Charity stripe"

"High fly act"

"Jump on the trampoline"

"That's not a news bulletin"

The annoying catchphrases

"NOOOOOIIIICCCCEEEE"

"Lays it up, and lays it in" like it was two separate actions

"Uh oh. He's what I call an uh oh shooter. When he shoots, I just say uh oh!"

"The drifter" I'm glad Lou is gone just so he can't say this anymore

"The club" See above

Referring to assists as "you're welcomes"

"Mr. Floor"

"Mr. Momentum"

"When he is out on the island, he can only yell that four letter word it his teammates....HELP!"

The inane madeup conversations he has between players when they're going to break

The contrarian

Anything his partner says, he says the opposite.
Billy Mac: "Great shot by Clarkson!" Stu: "No that was terrible defense!"

Billy Mac: "Nance goes way up to get the rebound!" Stu: "The other guy didn't jump!"

Joel: "I can't believe what Kobe just did!" Stu: "I can"

"Well the referee said it was a foul so it must have been a foul, because they never get anything wrong"

The arrogance

The "heh heh" he says after just about all of his comments. I don't know if he's trying to add his own laughtrack or if it's a nervous twitch but it sounds awfully condescending.

"If the Lakers scratch here I think the other team will be forced to take a timeout and talk things over" The other team invariably hits a 3 after he says this

"I guess they are going to draw up an 8 point play" when the other team calls a late timeout when they're down by more than 3

"EAaaaaaaaassssssyyyy call for the official" When a call goes the Lakers way, even if it isn't particularly obvious

"______ Just got his eaaaaaaasssssiiest bucket of the night" I don't know why he points out how easy it was. I guess he's trying to illustrate that the other team just got dominated on the play but it takes away from what the player just did.

When he starts laughing uncontrollably when an opponent makes an errant pass into the second row

When he starts laughing uncontrollably when a Laker player makes a nice play

When he starts yelling "Travel! Violation! He can't do that!!" And continues complaining about the lack of a whistle even though it had been called long before he started complaining.

When he starts speed counting anytime an opponent isn't trying to inbound the ball within 5 seconds.

The grouch

The constant complaining about any stoppage of play in a game that isn't close, or when an opponent is still playing starter shots in the fourth quarter or showboats.

Annoying rants

The sideline rant. Every time a player steps out of bounds, he starts the rant about players being too concerned about getting their feet behind the three point line but there isn't much real estate out there.

The baseline rant. Every time a player is falling out of bounds and throws the ball off the opponent to save it, he rants that the opponent should have disappeared into thin air so the ball couldn't have been thrown off of them.

The blocked shot rant. Every time a player blocks a shot, he says the shotblocker should have just caught the shot instead. Does he not realize how hard that is?

The bounce pass rant. Every time a player make a bad bounce pass, he criticizes bounce passes and says players are too lazy to bend down and pick them up.

The flat pass rant. Every time a player makes a bad basic pass, he says flat angle passes are dangerous and should never be used.

The crosscourt pass rant. Every time a player makes a bad crosscourt pass, he says they are a coaches worst nightmare and should never be done.

The jump pass rant. Every time a player makes a bad jump pass, he says they are dangerous and should never be done.

Not knowing the rules

In Stus mind, it's an 8 second backcourt violation when the shot clock hits 16 and you cannot catch and shoot with anything under 0.6 seconds. No matter how many times this happens, he refuses to accept it.

Feel free to add more. I am sure there is a lot of annoying stuff I forgot.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:

What? I love Stu.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Flat angle pass. That's the one.

I'm at least glad he's retired Mister Momentum. "He's fickle."
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

You spent a lot of time ranting about something that isn't going to change. Stu very likely has this job for as long as he wants it. He may not be the best color commentator around, but the fact that he's been around for 30 years, dating back to the Showtime Days, he's part of the Lakers experience and narrative.

I'll gladly listen to Billy Mac and Stu over Ralph Lawler and Mike Smith any day, any time.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

The one I kinda like is "Deep and Down" usually after Nick Young makes a 3
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
The one I kinda like is "Deep and Down" usually after Nick Young makes a 3

That's Billy Mac
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I like Stu Lantz, its Billy Mac I want gone.
LakerHabib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Instant favorite thread. His patronizing/condescending tone has been getting to me most over the years.

Amen to that!
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

and i think "that's not a news bulletin' came from Chick.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Stu's really not that bad.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:
You spent a lot of time ranting about something that isn't going to change. Stu very likely has this job for as long as he wants it. He may not be the best color commentator around, but the fact that he's been around for 30 years, dating back to the Showtime Days, he's part of the Lakers experience and narrative.

I'll gladly listen to Billy Mac and Stu over Ralph Lawler and Mike Smith any day, any time.

Smith is not good, but he at least does his homework and studies up on opponents while providing stats. Stu basically just shows up bored, takes the paycheck, recites some cliches and bolts home (when internet streams used to leak the off-air banter he would regularly joke about wanting to leave early). It's an incredible gig he's been able to maintain considering the origin of the job was to say "That's right, Chick" and read the halftime stats.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

I thought lays it up and lays it in were separate thing. You can miss layups. Right?

The part I find most awkward is when Billy makes a joke and Stu gives him dead silence in return.

I love the made up conversations, I want a cut of all his made up conversations with a nice "on the Lakers basketball network" thrown in at the end.

I'm kind of over any commentary at all, I think its redundant. Just show me replays of good plays, tell me what was called, and why it was called. Give me insight I can't get by watching on TV.

It would be nice to watch without commentary and just have the floor miked so we can hear the sound effects, crowd noise, and court chatter. I'm more interested in that than any commentator in the game now.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
I thought lays it up and lays it in were separate thing. You can miss layups. Right?

The part I find most awkward is when Billy makes a joke and Stu gives him dead silence in return.

I love the made up conversations, I want a cut of all his made up conversations with a nice "on the Lakers basketball network" thrown in at the end.

I'm kind of over any commentary at all, I think its redundant. Just show me replays of good plays, tell me what was called, and why it was called. Give me insight I can't get by watching on TV.

It would be nice to watch without commentary and just have the floor miked so we can hear the sound effects, crowd noise, and court chatter. I'm more interested in that than any commentator in the game now.

FoxSports experimented with that on a separate channel. Honestly it was kind of weird.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

I like Stu.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:

WIth the way the Lakers are managed the post Jerry Buss. Anybody can be let go. I was surprised John Black, Mitch Kupchak, Ronnie Lester. Still sucks that Jerry West isn't our GM anymore.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Hate it when he gets all bent out of shape about stats to decimal points. He likes it rounded I guess.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

love Stu but his act is tired and old...I'm not a fan of the whole Spectrum coverage....I listen to GT when he's working and the opponents feed if he's not.

I became a Laker fan listening to Chick and always thought that the 'World's Champion Lakers' started in the broadcast booth...I know we can't replace Chick but we deserve better than BillyMac and a retread Stu imo
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

I am not sure whay you dislike Stu lance. I think he like to repeat the basics because
They work. He is consistent and easy on the ear. Plus I like his old school chill.

Now Billy Mac does this annoying thing where when a important shot is in the air....
He does this wavering thing with his voice...luke how you would sound if you just
Got punched in the face and lost ur balance but kept talking normally.

It's annoying because he does this thing during climax moments.
But he has a fanboy attitude and I appreciate that.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:

I agree with the OP...I can't stand Stu. He's annoying with the conversations he makes up.

"Kobe drove the lane and he said to (insert name here), if you can't play defense any better than that, you shouldn't be in the league."

That's obviously not an exact quote, but he says dumb things like that all the time...

I think sometimes Stu starts a sentence and has no idea where he's going with it until he's finished with it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

OdomGrab wrote:
I am not sure whay you dislike Stu lance. I think he like to repeat the basics because
They work. He is consistent and easy on the ear. Plus I like his old school chill.

Now Billy Mac does this annoying thing where when a important shot is in the air....
He does this wavering thing with his voice...luke how you would sound if you just
Got punched in the face and lost ur balance but kept talking normally.

It's annoying because he does this thing during climax moments.
But he has a fanboy attitude and I appreciate that.

I don't mind when a commentator has a catch phrase that he uses. But Stu rarely says anything original or makes a new catch phrase.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Spero Dedes should've been the next TV voice of the Lakers. He's very talented, and enjoy his work doing NCAA basketball and NFL football.

One of Stu's go-to phrases used to be "and that...'ll get it done" (with a little pause after saying "that"), and I haven't heard him say that in forever.

I don't mind Stu nearly as much as some others here. Also, "charity stripe" was something that Chick used to say.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Man I really really dislike him too.

'Odom says, Pau this is for you, Pau says uh oh nah this is for Kobe, Kobe says if you guys don't want it I'll take, KAPOW'

He is not a homer. I'll give him credit for that. But dear lord he is so darn repetitive.

It also grinds my gear how he is a contrarian, which is undermining as hell.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject:

I'd even settle for John Ireland over Stu.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

I like Stu. Being a corny, outdated curmudgeon is part of his charm.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:

I know this is about Stu, but Billy Mac's pronounication of words starting with tw- sounding like ch- is super annoying.

Chwenty!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17
Jump to: