Useless or annoying stuff that Stu Lantz says
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject:

If you want terrible/biased/fact-free broadcasting then check out a Jazz, or a Spurs, or a Celtics game. I'm no Stu Lantz apologist, he has his fair share of WTF moments. But he is amongst the most proffessional next to these other amateurs. With that said, the guy sounds like he hates everything these days, most notably his own partner Billy Mac .
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject:

I hope they keep Stu around for another 10 years
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
How long is this Billy Mac experiment going to play out? I feel like he's been trying out for the past year but it's been like 5 years or something. Stu needs to go soon. Love him, but we need some new fire. Need somebody funny and entertaining. No to John Ireland. If Mike Trudel had a little more personality he wouldn't be bad. I say bring in Max Kellerman and pair him up with michael Thompson.

I thought Trudell would be good until I heard him call a couple of D-Fender games last year. He was making my ears bleed. He is not the answer.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject:

Spero Didas and Bill Walton need to be our announcers starting next season.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

As far as Lakers announcers go, Ireland and Thompson are very very good. You wouldn't be able to tell based on their respective radio shows. They are top tier, almost to the level of Breen, Tirico, Albert, etc.

Billy Mac isn't very good in my opinion. I hate how he does the show tunes-like, sing the last line of a sentence whenever something happens. I find it annoying in the context of a basketball game. Not quite sure about Stu yet, but the deep & down is a bit strange.
gblews
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

"Issues!". Has this one been mentioned, I haven'read the entire thread.

Or, how about "reading". A player can't "see" what is happening, he has to "read" it.

"Utilize", when "use " will do. Maybe "utilize" sounds learned to Stu.

Worst thing about Stu is his out sized ego. The reason he worked so well with Chick was because, well, Stu was the new guy and he had a lot of respect for Chick. But as soon as Chick was gone, Stu began to throw his weight around.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

Dear God no!
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

Dear God no!

Dude I'm 100% serious. Bill Walton is the most entertaining announcer of all time and that is exactly what we need with our quality of play being as snoozefesty as it has been lately.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

Dear God no!

Dude I'm 100% serious. Bill Walton is the most entertaining announcer of all time and that is exactly what we need with our quality of play being as snoozefesty as it has been lately.

He made Michael Olowokandi-era Clippers games watchable. He has my vote.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:
You spent a lot of time ranting about something that isn't going to change. Stu very likely has this job for as long as he wants it. He may not be the best color commentator around, but the fact that he's been around for 30 years, dating back to the Showtime Days, he's part of the Lakers experience and narrative.

I'll gladly listen to Billy Mac and Stu over Ralph Lawler and Mike Smith any day, any time.

Good point. Ralph has got to be the most overrated announcer alive. He could improve and still be terrible.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I'm starting to become aware of the useless stuff becuase of this thread, lol.

He also says you can't jump-stop off the dribble, which is false ah hell boy. You can jump stop (2foot landing), you can't split foot land
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I hate when he attaches Mister to inanimate objects.

You'll never win an argument with Mr. Floor. Actual commentary.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
I know this is a very unpopular thing among many Laker fans but I agree 100% with everything the op said.

He was always extremely mediocre imo (never the worst but also never anywhere remotely close to being one of the best). Without Chick putting him in check and limit his ridiculous comments it has just became too much for too long. I was cool with it for a long time but he really is just getting annoying more and more as each year passes. He just radiates negative vibes much of the time and the thing that really gets old like the op talked about is 95% of the time he disagrees even when it literally makes no sense whatsoever. On top of all the other annoyances I just get the feeling he does not even want to be there anymore during much of the games.

I have a lot of stuff from his first 2 years and to be honest, I personally think he's night and day different then compared to now. He tried much harder back then as you'd expect from any newb. Now he's at the stage where he doesn't wanna learn anything new. Set in his ways, calcified, and curmudgeonly a la Archie Bunker.

His worst look ever was being the only Laker representative in any of the 2009 championship parade broadcasts who brought an actual sour puss to the proceedings. He was complaining about the FSN broadcast starting at 7AM. In other words, he was annoyed even to be at a championship parade. Who does that?!?! How is that possible?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Sleepy wrote:

I did enjoy him when he was with Chick, since Chick dominated him during the broadcasts and was playful during non-action. They had a great rapport and friendship, you could tell. Now he's all just "get off my lawn!"

That's true. He did get a snarl from Chick on occasion, but the memories of that as a common occurrence are overplayed. For the great majority of time, they paired well together. Chick and Keith Erickson were friends, too, but most of Keith's color was something like, "Well, now..." Stu was probably the only guy Chick ever worked with who DID actually manage to provide some color analysis.

As for snarls, a good one was literally right before that shot of Magic to beat the Celtics at the buzzer at Boston Garden. Chick asked Stu, "Can you tell me how many fouls we have left?" They were right up on the commercial break so Stu replied, "I'll tell you after we get back from commercial." Chick: "TELL ME NOOWW!" He yelled it. Stu tried to stammer out an answer and Chick even cut that off. That was a tense moment, though. Once, Stu used the word apex and Chick said, "Hot dog...apex..." Stu got pissy and went silent for about 3 trips upcourt and Chick finally yelled in a happy voice, "We love you, STUU!" He could feel Stu sulking to his left.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

.4 wrote:
I hope they keep Stu around for another 10 years
plus
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject:

There's some good Chick n Stu banter at the beginning and ending of this video. Bear in mind this was the first gm of the preseason with Magic returning so everyone in LA was smilin like clams, but still.

Always funny when they managed to get Stu out on a boat.

scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject:

Yeah, they need to over haul the announcers like they did the front office. They all should go except for maybe Thompson. They should hire a rock star type play by play guy, like an Al Michael's type. Rick Fox would be my first choice as color commentator. They can't get somebody more qualified than Mike Trudell to be the side line reporter? This is the Los Angeles Lakers we are talking about. The Clippers have way better announcers on radio and TV.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

I'm not a huge fan of Stu. But, this is such an opinionated topic. For example, a couple of my favorite hoops commentators are Hubie Brown and Jeff Van Gundy. I don't mind Bill Walton as much as many fans do. It's all just personal preference.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

Bill Walton is objectively the most entertaining announcer of all time. Hubie Brown is pretty good as well and I would take him alongside Bill if we can't land Spero.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

I wish there was some way for him to be fired
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Bill Walton and Spero.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Sut complained the last game when a team called a time out. it truly feels like he is just in it for the paycheck.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
If you want terrible/biased/fact-free broadcasting then check out a Jazz, or a Spurs, or a Celtics game. I'm no Stu Lantz apologist, he has his fair share of WTF moments. But he is amongst the most proffessional next to these other amateurs. With that said, the guy sounds like he hates everything these days, most notably his own partner Billy Mac .

Celtics the worst! Close second Cavs commentators.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Stu is great. I don't know how this isn't a thread about Billy Mac, Mr. Useless factoid. Oh did you know that the Center of the opposing team once bought ice cream by the coach while shooting 50% blah blah blah. He keeps on bringing up factoids because he doesn't have any actual analysis of the game.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Stu was finding some haters tonight late in the game thread when he erroneously would not shut up about the ball being off Brandon Ingram (when it wasn't or at least was far from conclusive)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 5 of 17
Jump to: