2017-18 NFL Thread - Eagles Defeat the Evil Empire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 113, 114, 115  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Jay Cut-ler. I hadn't really thought about the implications of Cutler as a free agent. I'm not excited about the idea of him in Houston, but you could sure see that happening.

I sure hope you guys don't have to face that.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
rwongega wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Lets pause to give a moment of silence for Brock Osweiler's career as an NFL QB.........

I was never sold on Osweiler like others were. Just a taller version of AJ Feeley. Texans have to be in the drivers seat for Romo or at least Cutler.

Cutler is TERRIBLE. My buddy (who's a lifelong Bears fan) did a backflip today.

There's a party atmosphere in this household as well.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject:

Jimmy Garoppolo bids adieu to New England in an Instagram post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRc6C27BuMq/?hl=en

Was he hacked?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Jimmy Garoppolo bids adieu to New England in an Instagram post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRc6C27BuMq/?hl=en

Was he hacked?

He's claiming that his account was hacked. When (or if) he's traded, he'll probably find out when it hits the news. There's no way NE will tip him off prior.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Ian Rapoport‏
Verified account
 @RapSheet 7m
7 minutes ago

More
From what I understand, the #Browns are weighing simply releasing Brock Osweiler after trading for him. NBA style

A good old-fashioned NBA-style salary dump.

Great trade for Houston. On one hand I think Cleveland very badly overpaid for a second round draft pick, but at the same time Cleveland wasn't exactly a hot destination for free agents. Cap space is a wasting asset, so in a vague way we can say it was win-win, despite the asymmetry of value.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Ian Rapoport‏
Verified account
 @RapSheet 7m
7 minutes ago

More
From what I understand, the #Browns are weighing simply releasing Brock Osweiler after trading for him. NBA style

Great trade for Houston. On one hand I think Cleveland very badly overpaid for a second round draft pick, but at the same time Cleveland wasn't exactly a hot destination for free agents. Cap space is a wasting asset, so in a vague way we can say it was win-win, despite the asymmetry of value.

I have read that Cleveland also avoids a salary floor issue. I don't know whether that is true, but it would make sense.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Ian Rapoport‏
Verified account
 @RapSheet 7m
7 minutes ago

More

I have read that Cleveland also avoids a salary floor issue. I don't know whether that is true, but it would make sense.

Yeah, there is, though the NFL cap floor is a bit different in terms of a calculation than the NBA. From what I recall, you can underspend and the savings rolls over, but within something like a 4 year span you have to hit that floor cumulatively. I'd actually have to take a look, but this is my understanding.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject:

Pierre Garcon goes to the 49ers and DeSean Jackson goes to the Bucs. Really surprised the Niners spent that much money on a WR. I guess Shanahan has a lot of faith in Hoyer's arm.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Pierre Garcon goes to the 49ers and DeSean Jackson goes to the Bucs. Really surprised the Niners spent that much money on a WR. I guess Shanahan has a lot of faith in Hoyer's arm.

My guess is that Shanahan is confident that they'll land Cousins, if not this season, then next. In the meantime he'll feather the proverbial nest with one of Cousin's favorite two targets.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

My guess is that Shanahan is confident that they'll land Cousins, if not this season, then next. In the meantime he'll feather the proverbial nest with one of Cousin's favorite two targets.

Are there any good wideouts left for the Rams or are we in for another season of dropped passes for Quick and balls sailing over Tavon Austin's head?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Are there any good wideouts left for the Rams or are we in for another season of dropped passes for Quick and balls sailing over Tavon Austin's head?

There's been a pretty good run on wide-outs. The better rated leftovers are:

Kendall Wright
Terrance Williams
Terrelle Pryor

I ranked Terrelle Pryor last as I have a bad feeling about what anyone will pay for him, versus the performance I expect out of him. You know how we talk about, "Just a so-so basketball player who scores a lot because he's on a bad team"? I get that sinking feeling with Pryor. He's a good receiver who will be demanding a star salary.

The Rams also need to fix the OL. That would help Goff, Gurley and the entire receiver corps.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Update: Strike Terrelle Pryor from the list. He just signed a one year, "prove it" deal with Washington for $8 million. That is far less than what he was seeking, and a hell of a lot less than the franchise tag that supposedly Cleveland was considering.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Ian Rapoport‏
Verified account
 @RapSheet 7m
7 minutes ago

More

Yeah, there is, though the NFL cap floor is a bit different in terms of a calculation than the NBA. From what I recall, you can underspend and the savings rolls over, but within something like a 4 year span you have to hit that floor cumulatively. I'd actually have to take a look, but this is my understanding.

The Browns had over $100MM of cap space. No exaggeration. There was no way they could spend all of that money properly. They would have had to drastically overpay people to spend that much, on non-star players. So they used $16MM of that space to basically get a 2nd-round pick next year for free. I love the deal for the Browns. They are going about their rebuild the right way, at least in terms of just stockpiling good draft picks moving forward. This isn't to say that they have always made great decisions since this new regime took over, though. Taking Cody Kessler in the 3rd round of last year's draft comes to mind, as does cutting Taylor Gabriel last season, etc.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Update: Strike Terrelle Pryor from the list. He just signed a one year, "prove it" deal with Washington for $8 million. That is far less than what he was seeking, and a hell of a lot less than the franchise tag that supposedly Cleveland was considering.

I guess teams had character concerns on him, but this is a nice get for them. And it's a good spot for Pryor on a "prove it" type of 1-year deal. The targets should be plentiful from Cousins. Unless, of course, they trade him. Then Pryor will be getting passes thrown to him by Colt McCoy, possibly.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Packers sign TE Martellus Bennett. (Huge Signing)

Talks with TE Jared Cook have broken down but I think they should sign him too and run double TE all year long.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 54m54 minutes ago
More
Former Patriots TE Martellus Bennett is signing with the Packers, per source.
266 replies 3,589 retweets 3,968 likes
Reply 266 Retweet 3.6K
Like 4.0K
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Rams trade starting DE to the Dolphins. I guess it's an upgrade over Branch/Williams. Also sign Lawrence Timmons which was a major must with a cruddy LB corps. Nate Allen of the Raiders also signed to provide safety depth. Ted Larson of the Bears who I'm not familiar with also signed. Upgrades at needed positions.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:

Talks with TE Jared Cook have broken down but I think they should sign him too and run double TE all year long.

He manned up for pretty much the entire season with a bad ankle injury. I hope the best for Marty.

edit: Deal was reportedly $18.45 million over 3 years. That's a great deal for the Packers. Marty gambled and lost. He was reportedly offered a $7 million per season average by New England prior to this season.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Brandin Cooks to New England for a first (32nd) and third (103rd) pick, with a fourth rounder (118th going back to NE as change).

I'm glad they didn't give up Malcolm Butler for Cooks, that would have been overpaying. After losing Logan Ryan and signing Stephon Gilmore, the Patriots CBs are stronger outside than at the slot. Butler can play the slot, Gilmore and Rowe the outside. This of course assumes they keep Butler at this point.

It has been a very good offseason by the Patriots. They are weak at LB, and they are weak at the edge. They might be able to address those weaknesses by re-signing Hightower and either trading Jimmy G or finding favorable trades with their remaining cap space.

My guess is that they are not extending Butler in order to stay flexible, and disguise their intentions. Once they run out of cap space for a "Ryan Fitzgerald" type quality backup/journeyman QB contract, Cleveland and everyone else will know they are out of options.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Brandin Cooks to New England for a first (32nd) and third (103rd) pick, with a fourth rounder (118th going back to NE as change).

I'm glad they didn't give up Malcolm Butler for Cooks, that would have been overpaying. After losing Logan Ryan and signing Stephon Gilmore, the Patriots CBs are stronger outside than at the slot. Butler can play the slot, Gilmore and Rowe the outside. This of course assumes they keep Butler at this point.

It has been a very good offseason by the Patriots. They are weak at LB, and they are weak at the edge. They might be able to address those weaknesses by re-signing Hightower and either trading Jimmy G or finding favorable trades with their remaining cap space.

My guess is that they are not extending Butler in order to stay flexible, and disguise their intentions. Once they run out of cap space for a "Ryan Fitzgerald" type quality backup/journeyman QB contract, Cleveland and everyone else will know they are out of options.

New England isn't f'ing around LOL. In looking at how New England has operated with players nearing free agency recently, such as Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones, I don't think that both Butler and Jimmy G will be on the roster at the start of this coming season. They just lavished all that money on Gilmore, and I don't see them giving Butler an even-larger mega-deal on the heels of that. Since they lost Logan Ryan, I do think that they would have an attackable CB opposite Gilmore if they let Butler walk, so they may simply feel like keeping Butler for this season has to be worth it.

That said, I think the right move is to move Jimmy G now. They would get back more than what they just gave up, in draft capital, for Cooks, for one thing. And I just think this is how New England operates. Now, if Tom Brady has told the Pats privately that this coming season could be his last, then scratch what I'm about to say. But I take Brady at his word that he wants to play into his early-to-mid 40's, and if that's the case, I find it hard to believe that the Pats would cut Brady loose after next season in favor of Garoppolo. And to keep him, they would have to either franchise tag him (which would guarantee him about $20MM for one season, and there's no way that they are doing that to their cap), or sign him to a long-term deal for megabucks (he'd get more than what Osweiler got last year on the open market, and teams would be willing to give up a 1st round pick for him even if NE tendered him at the 1st round level).

If Brady is going to play for at least 2-3 more years, does it make sense to you that the Pats are going to let an asset walk for nothing, an asset that can get you back at least the #12 overall pick in this year's loaded draft and at least another 2nd rounder from the Browns? I know that guys like Adam Schefter have went on TV and Twitter vehemently denying that NE would move him, but it just makes all the sense in the world to me. Jimmy is a valuable asset to them, yes. But you have Brady. It makes all the sense in the world to get all that value for him. They can sign a veteran backup for this year, as well as draft a QB of the future next year if they want to. CLE's 2nd rounder next year is likely to be high, also.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Rams trade starting DE to the Dolphins.

That's perfect for him. Isn't Hays the one who believes mermaids are real?

The also got rid of Simms too. Weren't Hays and Simms the ones who crashed the golf cart during training camp?

Lance Kendrick also got the boot. Good!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

New England isn't f'ing around LOL. In looking at how New England has operated with players nearing free agency recently, such as Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones, I don't think that both Butler and Jimmy G will be on the roster at the start of this coming season. They just lavished all that money on Gilmore, and I don't see them giving Butler an even-larger mega-deal on the heels of that. Since they lost Logan Ryan, I do think that they would have an attackable CB opposite Gilmore if they let Butler walk, so they may simply feel like keeping Butler for this season has to be worth it.

That said, I think the right move is to move Jimmy G now. They would get back more than what they just gave up, in draft capital, for Cooks, for one thing. And I just think this is how New England operates. Now, if Tom Brady has told the Pats privately that this coming season could be his last, then scratch what I'm about to say. But I take Brady at his word that he wants to play into his early-to-mid 40's, and if that's the case, I find it hard to believe that the Pats would cut Brady loose after next season in favor of Garoppolo. And to keep him, they would have to either franchise tag him (which would guarantee him about $20MM for one season, and there's no way that they are doing that to their cap), or sign him to a long-term deal for megabucks (he'd get more than what Osweiler got last year on the open market, and teams would be willing to give up a 1st round pick for him even if NE tendered him at the 1st round level).

If Brady is going to play for at least 2-3 more years, does it make sense to you that the Pats are going to let an asset walk for nothing, an asset that can get you back at least the #12 overall pick in this year's loaded draft and at least another 2nd rounder from the Browns? I know that guys like Adam Schefter have went on TV and Twitter vehemently denying that NE would move him, but it just makes all the sense in the world to me. Jimmy is a valuable asset to them, yes. But you have Brady. It makes all the sense in the world to get all that value for him. They can sign a veteran backup for this year, as well as draft a QB of the future next year if they want to. CLE's 2nd rounder next year is likely to be high, also.

The moves tell me that New England is "all in" on Brady's final years. I don't think Brady has more than 2-3 seasons left. He looked sharp during the SB, but then he also had four less regular season games. As QBs age, that arm strength wanes as the season progresses, so I think we might be missing a key indicator on how much is really left in his gas tank. That means NE has hit the proverbial fork in the road: Do they go "all in" for short-term (2-3 season results) or play it conservative by extending Jimmy G for an absurd amount (for a backup QB) and compromising the roster? They're doing the former.

Jimmy G won't walk for nothing, if he is retained and leaves next season, NE will get a third round compensatory pick. That being said, I still think they're going to dump Jimmy G right before the draft. They need an elite EDGE, a quality rotational EDGE, and possibly a quality LB if they lose Hightower. If they can pick all three up, this team will have no glaring weaknesses. If they can stay healthy (that's a big if) they should be able to make it back for another SB appearance.

That being said, I am only guessing at their final roster. A few questions:

1. Do they really want Malcolm Butler? Pretty damn good CB, but the numbers may not make sense. Do they really want to pay $12M to $13M for a slot corner? Are they just playing a waiting game for a cheapo contract as Butler's agent is an unproven neophyte, or are they hoping to get a relatively late, first round pick?

2. I understand the need for Brandin Cooks. Through much of the first three quarters of the SB, the Patriot receivers were having trouble generating separation. Great, but it makes me wonder how they're going to handle Cooks when he demands to be paid like a WR1 after his season.

3. What's their fallback if they miss out on re-signing Hightower? Though I think they'll trade Jimmy G., I don't see an obvious replacement in the draft.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Woods was a decent pick-up, a solid route runner who fills in nicely as a WR2. I think they overpaid though.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

The moves tell me that New England is "all in" on Brady's final years. I don't think Brady has more than 2-3 seasons left. He looked sharp during the SB, but then he also had four less regular season games. As QBs age, that arm strength wanes as the season progresses, so I think we might be missing a key indicator on how much is really left in his gas tank. That means NE has hit the proverbial fork in the road: Do they go "all in" for short-term (2-3 season results) or play it conservative by extending Jimmy G for an absurd amount (for a backup QB) and compromising the roster? They're doing the former.

Jimmy G won't walk for nothing, if he is retained and leaves next season, NE will get a third round compensatory pick. That being said, I still think they're going to dump Jimmy G right before the draft. They need an elite EDGE, a quality rotational EDGE, and possibly a quality LB if they lose Hightower. If they can pick all three up, this team will have no glaring weaknesses. If they can stay healthy (that's a big if) they should be able to make it back for another SB appearance.

That being said, I am only guessing at their final roster. A few questions:

1. Do they really want Malcolm Butler? Pretty damn good CB, but the numbers may not make sense. Do they really want to pay $12M to $13M for a slot corner? Are they just playing a waiting game for a cheapo contract as Butler's agent is an unproven neophyte, or are they hoping to get a relatively late, first round pick?

2. I understand the need for Brandin Cooks. Through much of the first three quarters of the SB, the Patriot receivers were having trouble generating separation. Great, but it makes me wonder how they're going to handle Cooks when he demands to be paid like a WR1 after his season.

3. What's their fallback if they miss out on re-signing Hightower? Though I think they'll trade Jimmy G., I don't see an obvious replacement in the draft.

If they let Butler go, I think you're going to see Eric Rowe get attacked RELENTLESSLY.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:

That's not bad. Hell, Dion Sims got a contract with higher guarantees and just a mil under per year than Bennett...

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 113, 114, 115  Next
Page 6 of 115
Jump to: