Cowboys to release Tony Romo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Cowboys to release Tony Romo

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/08/tony-romo-to-be-released-on-thursday/

Quote:
Tony Romo to be released on Thursday

The Tony Romo in Dallas officially is ending. As expected.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Romo will be released on Thursday. Presumably, the move will come after 4:00 p.m. ET when the new league year begins. At that point, the Cowboys can release Romo either with a post-June 1 designation or under the pre-June 1 classification.

Undrafted in 2003, Romo became the starting quarterback in 2006, as an in-season replacement for Drew Bledsoe. Romo held the job through highs and lows (more highs than lows) and multiple injuries. His latest back injury opened the door for then-rookie Dak Prescott, who ultimately supplanted Romo as the starter and opened the door for Romo to exit.

The Cowboys had hoped to trade him, but no offers ever materialized.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Denver says come on down...

Texans are probably where he lands, though.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

I don't think this is a surprise to anyone.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

That's what I was thinking. He would still be a Texan and if the Texans beat the Cowboys I believe it would give him a measure of pleasure.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

That's what I was thinking. He would still be a Texan and if the Texans beat the Cowboys I believe it would give him a measure of pleasure.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

That will depend on how much Romo would be willing to take a pay cut. Texans have $23 mil in cap space but have needs at OL, safety plus all that money tied up in a backup QB.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:

I would say

1)Denver
2)Houston

Dallas wont probably know what they gave up untill Dak has that sophomore slump because defenses will figure him out (GB did) and i wonder what Jerry will say then?

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Surprise twist: The Cowboys are now likely to trade him. I am guessing that the Texans decided to make a trade offer because Romo was more likely to sign as a free agent with the Broncos. The Broncos apparently offered a trade package of their own.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

I would say Texans would be a front runner just because they are relatively close to Dallas and Romo wouldn't have to uproot his family. Plus Texans have done nothing in the playoffs and they need to do something while they still have a roster that is capable of making the playoffs.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I would say Texans would be a front runner just because they are relatively close to Dallas and Romo wouldn't have to uproot his family. Plus Texans have done nothing in the playoffs and they need to do something while they still have a roster that is capable of making the playoffs.

That was my train of thought, his family all ready in Texas. Also a chance to inject MY Brady effect, stick it to Jerry by beating the Cowboys.

EDIT; Had Jimmy Johnson on the brain.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

That was my train of thought, his family all ready in Texas. Also a chance to inject MY Brady effect, stick it to Jimmy by beating the Cowboys.

It's about 250 miles, and we don't play the Cowboys this season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Rams should go after him and release Keenum
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Rams should go after him and release Keenum

Unless the Rams improve at WR (bust Robert Woods is not it), he's not going to consider it. Texans have an All-Pro plus a young speedster at WR and solid receiving TE to go with a decent OL and RB. Plus he doesn't have to move far and the Texans D is much better than the Rams D.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Damn, the Browns got Oswelier in a trade. I guess this opens up the Texans to go for Romo.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

Though the Denver defense isn't at a par with what they had in 2015, it remains formidable. If they draft well, they have a shot at a Super Bowl appearance with a mere game manager at the helm. Romo is almost certainly more than a game manager, though I'm curious to see how his arm strength holds up after all those injuries at age 37.

That being said, if I was Romo I'd strongly consider Houston. Houston is in a less competitive division, and though its defense isn't as good as Denver's, they are the more complete team, particularly when it comes to the O line. I'm not at all confident that Romo will remain standing by game 16 in Denver.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

That was my train of thought, his family all ready in Texas. Also a chance to inject MY Brady effect, stick it to Jerry by beating the Cowboys.

It's about 250 miles, and we don't play the Cowboys this season.

Well there goes the Brady effect. Do you have any thoughts about the rumors Houston will trade Savage if they can sign Romo?

I like Tony, think he a very good QB. I don't like his ability to finish a season.

If I have it right they have about 30 million in cap space. Do you think they'll spend it on Tony?

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

I don't know why we'd trade Savage, or why anyone would trade for him. He's an unproven backup QB who seems to get hurt a lot. He'll get a shot at some point, but it isn't like he is some trade asset.

I suspect that we've made an offer for Romo. I have mixed feelings about it, but it would be interesting if he was on the team.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

It sounds like some games are being played.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/10/report-texans-wont-trade-for-tony-romo/
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

The Broncos do play the Cowboys this year, so that should be fun if Romo ends up in Denver.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/10/report-texans-wont-trade-for-tony-romo/

My impression was that the "Dallas will waive Romo Friday" story was nothing more than an effort by the Cowboys to create a market. Now comes the Texas Hold'em part of the game.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

My impression was that the "Dallas will waive Romo Friday" story was nothing more than an effort by the Cowboys to create a market. Now comes the Texas Hold'em part of the game.

ehh, that could just as easily do the opposite for teams who rather try to sign him outright than giving up assets for him
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

ehh, that could just as easily do the opposite for teams who rather try to sign him outright than giving up assets for him

I absolutely disagree. Such an announcement would only hurt if Dallas was still taking calls for Romo. Obviously that wasn't happening.

Romo is a talented but risky QB, and I'm sure the initial asking price by Dallas was high. Dallas now needs to act fast in order to take him off the books, and take him off payroll. Since the phone wasn't ringing, the clever move was an announce that you'd hold a fire sale without calling it a fire sale. By announcing that they were waiving Romo, Dallas was telling all possible suitors that any reasonable bid would be entertained, even a late Day 3 draft choice. The value is that the acquiring team would give up little for Romo, and gain control... at the cost of his contract, of course.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Yep, here's the latest. Both Denver and Houston appear interested in Romo, but only as a free agent:

Cowboys not expected to trade QB Tony Romo
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject:

That's a given nobody is going to give up anything for a player everyone knows the Cowboys not only don't really want but has injury history.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

I think it tells us that the Broncos and Texans have alternate plans in case Romo goes somewhere else. Heck, for all we know, neither team is even all that serious about him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: