Most Obvious Tank Job Ever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
lol so yall really think Luke got the team together and told them to start intentionally throwing games?

Nah he just made lineup decisions on his own and voila tank against kings of tank 76ers worked
EldenCampbell
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Trading Lou and sitting the vets decided the tank. The young folks are just very inconsistent and/or not very good.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

I mean the players won't lay down but it's obvious we're in full tank mode. Shutting down Nick Young probably came from the FO.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

It is ugly ball and I hate it. The new CBA has just made the tanking incentive even worse. The NBA needs to re-work the CBA and ease up on the free agency restrictions. Otherwise the tanking will continue to produce unwatchable basketball. If I were a season ticket holder I would be livid.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
lol so yall really think Luke got the team together and told them to start intentionally throwing games?

No, that part is easy for them. The rest is pure tank.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
I mean the players won't lay down but it's obvious we're in full tank mode. Shutting down Nick Young probably came from the FO.

I think the coaches realized they have Nwaba for 6 games before they have to lock him up or pass. Once you give him a proper try, do you put Nick out there for 12 minutes a game? All that does is screw up his per game stats.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

I was at the game last night Nick didnt come out before game and hit the layup line nor did he come out and warm up before teh second half, he just came out right before each half and sat on the bench
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject:

The guys like Ireland need to cool it with the high and mighty complaints about tanking and resting players on back to backs. Imagine the Lakers getting sanctioned for refusing to play Nick Young yesterday. I mean really? That's the situation you want to create?
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
easybreeze wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
easybreeze wrote:
I don't buy into the tank theory. These guys are on display. Trade bait, imo.

By putting them in a position to look bad? If you're putting them on display, wouldn't you want to put them in an ideal situation to show that they can contribute and win?

They have no other alternative, to make them look better, then to play them. Teams trade players on stats. They sit, ball, chucker Nick, and trade Lou. DLo stats is up and so is JC.

If you're "showcasing" our young talent, we wouldn't put DLO out there with basically 0 shooters to pass to. Nwaba for Swaggy?

Any of the guards can get the ball to shooters. I'm not using the word showcase.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

No, that part is easy for them. The rest is pure tank.

No I dont think that happend but if I'm dlo and were down by 5 with 5 minutes left how hard do I really play to win the game?

I would treat these games as preseason but thats me.
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
The guys like Ireland need to cool it with the high and mighty complaints about tanking and resting players on back to backs. Imagine the Lakers getting sanctioned for refusing to play Nick Young yesterday. I mean really? That's the situation you want to create?

How the Lakers can be sanctioned in game that is meaningful only to the lottery positions when Steve Kerr sits 3 All-Stars in a national prime time TV game between the 1st and 2nd place Western Conference leaders? There had to have been a substantial financial cost to the league, the TV network, and to the Spurs concession stands because of what Kerr did.

With coaches being able to sit out players arbitrarily without any repercussion from the league, I think the Lakers could start and play MWP for 48 minutes and suffer no consequences.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

How the Lakers can be sanctioned in game that is meaningful only to the lottery positions when Steve Kerr sits 3 All-Stars in a national prime time TV game between the 1st and 2nd place Western Conference leaders? There had to have been a substantial financial cost to the league, the TV network, and to the Spurs concession stands because of what Kerr did.

With coaches being able to sit out players arbitrarily without any repercussion from the league, I think the Lakers could start and play MWP for 48 minutes and suffer no consequences.

Yea nobody's getting sanctioned for this. Look at the sixers, they've been blatantly tanking for years now. Sat out Simmons all season too.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
misterioso wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

Yea nobody's getting sanctioned for this. Look at the sixers, they've been blatantly tanking for years now. Sat out Simmons all season too.

Got a #1 pick for it...and now will likely get two top 7 picks also.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
misterioso wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

I'm glad Ireland is calling the league out. This is ugly, cynical ball.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Spurs 1998.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Spurs 1998.

In fairness, if your two main players go down, there's a franchise player in the draft, and your owner is best friends with the commissioner, you kind of have to do it.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

How do you draw the line in a way that makes sense? The Lakers have a national TV game tonight, who gets to decide if the Lakers are playing the lineup that would fetch the highest ratings?

What if a player claims he is hurt? Does an independent doctor get to choose whether he plays? If that players rest day is overruled and the league forces him to play and he gets injured further, then what?

I understand the ease in saying teams shouldnt rest players all at once, but I just don't see how to force a team not to do it.

The tank complaints just need to go away as long as the Lakers are right there with the 76ers. Theyve been playing for lottery balls four years in a row now. Ireland needs the glass houses lecture.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Players don't tank for draft picks. They have no incentive to. They'd essentially be lowering their own value for a chance for their team to add a possible replacement for them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: