Lakers’ Deng, Mozgov (a combined $136 million) are shut down for rest of season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I might have got the numbers wrong but 11M is still a lot for a C who wasn't playing and not contributing, at least Moz was actually playing.

Bogut was an expiring contract traded in mid season and he was immediately waived. He isn't in any way an example of how teams can trade a mediocre player with a big contract that has years to run -- his situation is the exact opposite of that, in fact.

So, yeah, three years from now when Mosgov's contract has a few months to go, he'd be easy to trade too.

That still doesn't mean much, my example is that teams are willing to absorb contracts.. even if expiring, Philly went ahead and got him and despite waiving him, they had no reason to take him on... but that's not the point of my post.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

It's a shame these 2 free agent signings last year will be a stain upon Mitch Kupchak's Laker legacy.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject:

They're shut down 'officially' cause it's gonna be 'youth movement' for the last 18 games.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
tox wrote:
This team, in 2017, would be way better off if Deng were playing. Probably Mozgov too but that's more matchup dependent.

This is as much of a tank move as anything else.

Pretty much.

But they are still radioactive nuclear cap waste.

It's the years. I think in 2017, Brewer helps our team more than Deng (since we're desperate for defense). And if we need the cap space for George in 2018. Brewer's contract expires.

I've seen replacement level players with long contracts moved. I've seen short overpriced contracts moved. But long, overpriced contracts for mediocre players. That's a tough sell.
Nobody is paying Deng and Mozgov 34 mill combined till 2020. Well... besides us of course.
Those two contracts are our biggest hurdle to rebuilding. And it'll take a truckload of sweetener to find a way to move them.

Brewer has 2015 WCSF Tony Allen-type impact on the offense. Deng had a horrible shooting year this year and he's still an infinitely better shooting than Brewer. I'm not convinced Brewer is actually a better defender than Deng but it's moot. When your 3 is shooting 23% from the 3 point line, he's going to absolutely tank every lineup that he's in.

Deng's at 31%. Not good, but defenses do respect him out to the 3pt line (for whatever reason).
On the other hand, our team desperately needs defense.
Uh...sure. Deng is a less, bad player.
I guess the bigger issue is, Deng is getting paid twice as much for twice as long. That's alot to pay for a less bad player.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Deng's at 31%. Not good, but defenses do respect him out to the 3pt line (for whatever reason).
I guess the bigger issue is, Deng is getting paid twice as much for twice as long. That alot to pay for a slightly less bad player.

Yes, that is my point. I am not justifying their contracts. I am arguing, and to me this is unquestionably true, that the Lakers would be better off playing Deng instead of Brewer. That's it.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Moises wrote:
The deals that got Jim and Mitch fired. Inexcusable deals. Can't even remember how many times we struck out in the FA market cause of Mitch and crew. For some reason we always gave deals to over the hill players on their last legs with Mitch at the helm.

Free Agents
  • 36 Year Old Mitch Richmond (2002)
  • 38 Year Old Horace Grant (2004)
  • 36 Year Old Vlade Divac (2005)
  • 35 Year Old Jim Jackson (2006)
  • 34 Year Old Aaron McKie (2007)
  • 33 Year Old Ira Newble (2008)
  • 37 Year Old Theo Ratliff (2011)
  • 36 Year Old Antwan Jamison (2013)
  • 33 Year Old Carlos Boozer (2015)
  • 36 Year Old Metta World Peace (2016)

Trades (included #1 pick.)
  • 35 Year Old Horace Grant (2001)
  • 38 Year Old Steve Nash (2013)

It was a miracle that Mitch kept his job as long as he did .

Last edited by JUST-MING on Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:06 pm; edited 6 times in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I guess the bigger issue is, Deng is getting paid twice as much for twice as long. That alot to pay for a slightly less bad player.

Yes, that is my point. I am not justifying their contracts. I am arguing, and to me this is unquestionably true, that the Lakers would be better off playing Deng instead of Brewer. That's it.

Just curious, if the Lakers are going full youth movement then why is Brewer getting PT? I mean we could have seen what Mozgov and Deng did to see if they have value but we didn't.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I might have got the numbers wrong but 11M is still a lot for a C who wasn't playing and not contributing, at least Moz was actually playing.

Bogut was an expiring contract traded in mid season and he was immediately waived. He isn't in any way an example of how teams can trade a mediocre player with a big contract that has years to run -- his situation is the exact opposite of that, in fact.

So, yeah, three years from now when Mosgov's contract has a few months to go, he'd be easy to trade too.

That still doesn't mean much, my example is that teams are willing to absorb contracts.. even if expiring, Philly went ahead and got him and despite waiving him, they had no reason to take him on... but that's not the point of my post.

Sure, lots of teams would be happy to have Moz or Deng in their rotations. The issue of making a deal is how much cap space their contracts take up. It would be hard for teams to trade enough contracts that they'd give up and which we'd take to make it work.

Those type of deals do happen, but they're rare and hard to pull off.

So if you only point is it's possible that they could be traded, sure. But I think you're showing how difficult it is by being unable to find examples of similar deals of teams who were able to unload underperforming players on long, high-paying contracts..
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Moises wrote:
The deals that got Jim and Mitch fired. Inexcusable deals. Can't even remember how many times we struck out in the FA market cause of Mitch and crew. For some reason we always gave deals to over the hill players on their last legs with Mitch at the helm.

Free Agents
  • 36 Year Old Ron Artest (2016)
  • 31 Year Old Luol Deng (2017)
Trades

To be fair, a lot of those free agents were minimum-wage vets that Phil Jackson liked to have sitting around at the end of the bench. Very few of them would fall under the category of a bad signing for me. They accomplished their intended purpose of being veteran presences who didn't complain about not playing and could handle spot minutes every now and then.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Save all the cap space to sign these jokers. Unreal.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Sure, lots of teams would be happy to have Moz or Deng in their rotations. The issue of making a deal is how much cap space their contracts take up. It would be hard for teams to trade enough contracts that they'd give up and which we'd take to make it work.

Those type of deals do happen, but they're rare and hard to pull off.

So if you only point is it's possible that they could be traded, sure. But I think you're showing how difficult it is by being unable to find examples of similar deals of teams who were able to unload underperforming players on long, high-paying contracts..

I understand that, but seriously the new CBA might give other teams some advantages in absorbing contracts, I mean we just don't know what teams will do, I mean there are teams who might see Moz and Deng as roster insurance... and I know 18M is a lot but supposedly the cap is gonna jump to 103M, if the NBA is supposed to making billions, then why can't teams see Moz and Deng as valuable pieces? If we are gonna sell them to teams, there needs to be ground-work of there game so teams will show interest.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Moises wrote:

Free Agents
Trades

To be fair, a lot of those free agents were minimum-wage vets that Phil Jackson liked to have sitting around at the end of the bench. Very few of them would fall under the category of a bad signing for me. They accomplished their intended purpose of being veteran presences who didn't complain about not playing and could handle spot minutes every now and then.

Agreed and back in the day we needed vets. As Phil would say: grown men win championships. We can see now how hard it is to win with kids.

Man that Ho Grant signing was great though. A PF who had a deadly mid range game and played good D. He was the reason we cruised through those 2001 playoffs. He started at PF and played the whole season and playoffs.

What the heck is wrong with the 31 year old Deng? He is really not that old. I can't understand for the life of my why the guy can't play anymore. It is so strange.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
activeverb wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Moises wrote:

Free Agents
Trades

Agreed and back in the day we needed vets. As Phil would say: grown men win championships. We can see now how hard it is to win with kids.

Man that Ho Grant signing was great though. A PF who had a deadly mid range game and played good D. He was the reason we cruised through those 2001 playoffs. He started at PF and played the whole season and playoffs.

What the heck is wrong with the 31 year old Deng? He is really not that old. I can't understand for the life of my why the guy can't play anymore. It is so strange.

Lack of focus and mental make up is what held Deng back this year, he isn't done physically just look at those nice dunks he did early in the season. If he's traded, that team will get the potential benefit of getting a focused Deng...
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
When I look at the situation, it's unfortunate. but I wouldn't underestimate Pelinka finding a trade partner for both of them, the FO probably wants there own brand to create on the roster.

How on earth do you see them moving Deng and Mozgov? They have to be to at least in the top 10 for worst contracts in the league.

Exactly...Not even Pelinka can work that magic. We are stuck with these 2 stiffs until maybe the last year of their deals. Another example of the huge blunders by Mitch and Jim. Even if Walton wanted Mozgov, Mitch and Jim should've told him that the asking price is too much and moved on.

Inexcusable to be this financially irresponsible.

I understand the complaints about the contract and years, but my problem is that.. the FO.. should have been more open minded about our goals, any playoff team or a young team on the rise can use Moz and Deng as a valuable decoy, I think my frustration is that these guys probably thought they can help the team win games when it became clear that the Lakers were going full boar on rebuilding.

Trust me, a lot of teams would like Moz and Deng as a rotation piece, contract numbers won't change that especially when the cap is supposed to rise, I will give dozens of reasons why teams potentially will want these guys, but I don't want to explain it cause you guys act like these 2 players are some trash picked off from the streets.

You really believe that Gadget? I hope you're right I just don't see anyone wanting them for the price tag. I'm all ears if you care to explain.

Yeah, I believe it. These guys were not appreciated here even before the season started, and I mentioned it that it probably didn't sit well with them knowing that they didn't have the support of the fans, I mean we saw people still supporting Kobe when he got his 48M deal but both Moz and Deng were completely getting crucified almost every day on Twitter.

Imagine if a playoff team or a rising young team that might see these guys as a piece they can use for defensive purposes, I mean imagine if a playoff team sees Mozgov and his abilities and says hey I don't care about the contract years this guy can help me defend the quality Cs in the playoffs.

No FO in there mind think about Moz and Deng like you guys do.. that's my explaination.

I see your point. I just don't see a team that needs, like you put it, a defensive minded player, like Mozgov or Deng, taking back the massive contract for what would be spot minutes. $18 million a year for this? I don't see it, but I hope you're right and there are teams that are willing to absorb those contracts. If Pelinka can get even one of those contracts off the books he already earned his position and money.

It's not a major obstacle as you are making it seem, look how Dallas ended up trading Boguts 40+M contract even though he wasn't doing zlitch, sometimes NBA teams end up settling for something when the ink is dry.

Dallas traded Bogut with $40 million owed?

He was in the final year of his contract and it was for about $11 million.

If you have a quality link showing him with $40 million owed, please provide it.

Gadget... Mozgov makes $7 million more than Bogut and Bogut had only this year left on his deal. Mozgov is owed for 3 more years, as is Deng, that's why I don't see anyone taking either one of them from us.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
When I look at the situation, it's unfortunate. but I wouldn't underestimate Pelinka finding a trade partner for both of them, the FO probably wants there own brand to create on the roster.

How on earth do you see them moving Deng and Mozgov? They have to be to at least in the top 10 for worst contracts in the league.

Exactly...Not even Pelinka can work that magic. We are stuck with these 2 stiffs until maybe the last year of their deals. Another example of the huge blunders by Mitch and Jim. Even if Walton wanted Mozgov, Mitch and Jim should've told him that the asking price is too much and moved on.

I understand the complaints about the contract and years, but my problem is that.. the FO.. should have been more open minded about our goals, any playoff team or a young team on the rise can use Moz and Deng as a valuable decoy, I think my frustration is that these guys probably thought they can help the team win games when it became clear that the Lakers were going full boar on rebuilding.

Trust me, a lot of teams would like Moz and Deng as a rotation piece, contract numbers won't change that especially when the cap is supposed to rise, I will give dozens of reasons why teams potentially will want these guys, but I don't want to explain it cause you guys act like these 2 players are some trash picked off from the streets.

You really believe that Gadget? I hope you're right I just don't see anyone wanting them for the price tag. I'm all ears if you care to explain.

Yeah, I believe it. These guys were not appreciated here even before the season started, and I mentioned it that it probably didn't sit well with them knowing that they didn't have the support of the fans, I mean we saw people still supporting Kobe when he got his 48M deal but both Moz and Deng were completely getting crucified almost every day on Twitter.

Imagine if a playoff team or a rising young team that might see these guys as a piece they can use for defensive purposes, I mean imagine if a playoff team sees Mozgov and his abilities and says hey I don't care about the contract years this guy can help me defend the quality Cs in the playoffs.

No FO in there mind think about Moz and Deng like you guys do.. that's my explaination.

I see your point. I just don't see a team that needs, like you put it, a defensive minded player, like Mozgov or Deng, taking back the massive contract for what would be spot minutes. $18 million a year for this? I don't see it, but I hope you're right and there are teams that are willing to absorb those contracts. If Pelinka can get even one of those contracts off the books he already earned his position and money.

It's not a major obstacle as you are making it seem, look how Dallas ended up trading Boguts 40+M contract even though he wasn't doing zlitch, sometimes NBA teams end up settling for something when the ink is dry.

If you have a quality link showing him with $40 million owed, please provide it.

Gadget... Mozgov makes $7 million more than Bogut and Bogut had only this year left on his deal. Mozgov is owed for 3 more years, as is Deng, that's why I don't see anyone taking either one of them from us.

We will just see what the off-season holds, sometimes teams operate differently, I think there a decent chance someone will show interest in Deng and Mozgov.. just gotta see during the summer.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

I understand that, but seriously the new CBA might give other teams some advantages in absorbing contracts, I mean we just don't know what teams will do, I mean there are teams who might see Moz and Deng as roster insurance... and I know 18M is a lot but supposedly the cap is gonna jump to 103M, if the NBA is supposed to making billions, then why can't teams see Moz and Deng as valuable pieces? If we are gonna sell them to teams, there needs to be ground-work of there game so teams will show interest.

I'd be all for moving either of them if the cost of doing so (taking on bad contracts; bribing teams with young players and picks) isn't too high. But I don't expect them to be gone anytime soon.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

16 mil minus eleven and change is <5 mil, if we're being technical...
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject:

We might have been more competitive in a couple games with Moz/Deng in rotation, but let's not act like they were getting us wins when they were active.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

pkflyers wrote:
governator wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:
Not sure what the value of announcing this is.

To let other teams know they're DNP-CD cause we're tanking not due to health/injury/'declining play'

I hope

You have a better chance of tanking by playing Moz over Zubac. I think this is for two reasons:

1. To evaluate our young talent.
2. To hit home and highlight why they fired Mitch and Jim.

Didn't think of this, u might be right. Kinda petty tho

It is, especially since in doing that you punish the player as well

Yeah there was so much talk about how the last Kobe contract built up so much goodwill with future free agents, that they'll be taken care of. Now theyre telling free agents that if the year doesn't turn out like people had hoped, they're being benched indefinitely to waste away in the middle of their career.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
activeverb wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Moises wrote:

Free Agents
Trades

Lack of focus and mental make up is what held Deng back this year, he isn't done physically just look at those nice dunks he did early in the season. If he's traded, that team will get the potential benefit of getting a focused Deng...

The primary problem is the Lakers tried to make Deng a SF in a fast-paced offense when he is really more suited to playing PF on a slow offense. He doesn't the burst he used to and can't guard players effectively on the perimeter though he does OK closer to the rim. Over the past couple of years, there's been a pretty notable difference in his statistical play at PF and SF.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
We might have been more competitive in a couple games with Moz/Deng in rotation, but let's not act like they were getting us wins when they were active.

The original starting lineup, with them in it, was playing quality NBA starters to a standstill (actually slight positive in +/-). And if you replace Randle with Black or Ingram (moving Deng to 4), even more positive.

Fair to say they didn't deliver as expected and are very expensive, but also fair to say that the team really fell apart when the injuries broke up the two lineups and Luke never really put either back together again.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
tox wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Just curious, if the Lakers are going full youth movement then why is Brewer getting PT? I mean we could have seen what Mozgov and Deng did to see if they have value but we didn't.

Cory is an expiring contract this year. We need to see if we bring him back next year. Moz deng have three more years left and we've seen them all year long so nothing to evaluate
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Their deals suck. No doubt about it.

But if they're here, I think they can be capable backups for us going fwrd.

At least they're not headaches.

Dont attach young players and 1st round picks to get rid of them though.

Worst case - if we need the money to sign REAL players, just stretch/waive them.
GRE4T ONE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject:

iimarshon wrote:
Their deals suck. No doubt about it.

But if they're here, I think they can be capable backups for us going fwrd.

At least they're not headaches.

Dont attach young players and 1st round picks to get rid of them though.

Worst case - if we need the money to sign REAL players, just stretch/waive them.

Agreed
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:

KOBE WAN wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
tox wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Cory is an expiring contract this year. We need to see if we bring him back next year. Moz deng have three more years left and we've seen them all year long so nothing to evaluate

No, Brewer is under contract for more than 7 mil next year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: