Pelinka and Magic getting respect from GM Daryl Morey
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
richmorgan12 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Take anything your opponent says with a grain of salt. It's politics as usual.
Morey is just talking nice for now but he will stab anyone in the back to get what he wants. He's no better than Cuban, Ainge or any other opponent.
Total snow & fluff.

Yeah that's possible, I bet if what you saying is true, Morey must be feeling a little awkward that Pelinka might heeve Harden or Gordon to join the Lakers at some point... now that's not someone being fluff.. that's reality.

Agents work for players, not the other way around. Player says jump, agent says "How high?"

Just saying that, Pelinka being a former client of Harden might help the chances of getting him.... even if slight.

The roles would be reversed. Basically, the employee became the boss who can now trade you.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I would say it was a bit more than just fluff. For instance, there were rumors that the Lakers offered Bazemore two million more than Atlanta. It was thought that (1) Bazemore didn't want to return to the team that let him go and (2) he didn't like the losing of the past three seasons.

In that scenario, and perhaps upcoming future scenarios, the presence of new & dynamic faces such as Magic, whose a salesman, and Pelinka whose the deal maker, might have netted a different outcome.

And I would absolutely have loved to have Bazemore over Deng. Wouldn't you?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

I doubt it has much to do with the Lou trade -

Lou's averages in March (6 game sample size): 9 ppg, 2.3-9.5, 24% fg, 23% 3pt

He's averaging more shots than points, which has me dumbstruck since he was Mr.Efficiency here.

Playing on a top notch team means being the recipient of top notch scouting reports. He really wasn't seen as a threat on the Lakers.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
I would say it was a bit more than just fluff. For instance, there were rumors that the Lakers offered Bazemore two million more than Atlanta. It was thought that (1) Bazemore didn't want to return to the team that let him go and (2) he didn't like the losing of the past three seasons.

In that scenario, and perhaps upcoming future scenarios, the presence of new & dynamic faces such as Magic, whose a salesman, and Pelinka whose the deal maker, might have netted a different outcome.

If you clearly read the article, it clearly suggests as per Morey that having Magic and Pelinka will give them a advantage in FA, and especially Pelinka who is respected by NBA peers.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't mean much of anything, but it's nice of Morey to say that. Morey would be the first to tell you that success as a GM isn't measured by press clippings. Morey got the Rockets where they are -- a title contender, but not a title favorite -- by taking risks. There was more than one occasion when it looked like he might be about to crash and burn.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It doesn't mean much of anything, but it's nice of Morey to say that. Morey would be the first to tell you that success as a GM isn't measured by press clippings. Morey got the Rockets where they are -- a title contender, but not a title favorite -- by taking risks. There was more than one occasion when it looked like he might be about to crash and burn.

Let's see how the off-season goes, but I won't be surprised if Magic and Pelinka do a good job in the draft and FA.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

If you clearly read the article, it clearly suggests as per Morey that having Magic and Pelinka will give them a advantage in FA, and especially Pelinka who is respected by NBA peers.

If my post didn't clarify, but, for the most part, I agree with that assertion.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Take anything your opponent says with a grain of salt. It's politics as usual.
Morey is just talking nice for now but he will stab anyone in the back to get what he wants. He's no better than Cuban, Ainge or any other opponent.
Total snow & fluff.

Before the Houston-LA game, some reporter asked Morey what he thought of Magic and the new GM, and Morey said the complimentary things you'd expect any GM to say in that situation. It would be dumb for him to say anything other than, "Hey they're both great, smart guys and they're going to do great." It's a in-one-ear-and-out-the-other article.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: