Cutting The Cord
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Cutting The Cord

I have cut most of the cable company out of my life. I still have very limited (basic package for $10 per month) which is local channels and such.

I will admit to access of apps ofd Mom's full cable package arsenal of channels, she doesn't care about internet access so that is good for many things, but it isn't like subscribing to the cable company as I couldn't even watch the Alabama Clemson NCAA Football Title game as the ESPN App crashed.

I want full a la carte channel by channel pricing, it is only the premium channels you can get now a la care right?

I looked at Playstation Vue and at those prices I might as well turn myself back in at the Time Warner "Customer Service Center" with my attorney present for whatever package that rises every month they jam on me.

So let's talk cutting the cable cord but still accessing content. What are the current best LEGAL options? I want to be free of the cord yo.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

People still pay for cable and satellite?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Lakers/Dodgers/Pac-12 you're pretty much screwed. There's SlingTV which I found more affordable but the way they tier it is understandable but sucks (i.e. you can have ESPN but not Fox/NBCSN or vice versa unless you buy a higher tier). At times the triple cable package looks great but I don't want phone and the prices (usually $30) are only for all 3.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB

Last edited by rwongega on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

I'll cut the cord if I can get live sports coverage by internet. I am basically paying for that and to have sound in the background when I'm at home.

Until then, I'll keep paying $1,400 per year I guess.

I would easily.pay $500 per year for NBA, NFL Redzone, and any major sports events like World series or Olympics.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Get Sling TV and decide if you want Blue or Orange....You basically have to make sacrifices and decide which channels you can get by without....Playstation Vue is the next cheapest option, I believe they have DVR functionality. Other than that, you will have to subscribe to cable or satellite TV if you want select channels which aren't offered on either of those streaming services. I hear youtube is also getting into the streaming TV game but I have my doubts they have offer those channels you want like the Lakers or Dodgers channel.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

I'd say get Sling and then buy a cheap antenna for local channels.

You mentioned you had your moms cable password. I'd keep that for specialized things like Lakers/Dodgers channels (provided that's in her package).

That said, I do have a friend that has Sling, and has had some issues with it. You need a strong internet connection.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:

You mentioned you had your moms cable password. I'd keep that for specialized things like Lakers/Dodgers channels (provided that's in her package).

That said, I do have a friend that has Sling, and has had some issues with it. You need a strong internet connection.

With Sling, you can still access internet hosted streams like WatchESPN, etc that might be better. But my main tiff with it is that you're essentially making Sophie's Choice when it comes to sports channels. You can get ESPN but you won't get FoxSports or NBCSN.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject:

I watch way too many live sporting events. No choice for me but to bite the bullet.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

TV is putting out all time great shows and to miss out on Lakers/Dodgers/Raiders is tough...I love my cord!!👌
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

I have SlingTV orange package + HBO (boxing/game of thrones) and a HD antenna for local channels. No complaints so far. I get to watch all nationally televised games (NBA/NFL) with this setup. Also, SlingTV gives you on-demand for several channels including AMC (e.g., Walking Dead), which is nice. Finally, the ability to stream on any device is awesome. Often, I'll leave the Lakers game on in the background on my PC while I play a video game on my TV.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I watch way too many live sporting events. No choice for me but to bite the bullet.

Same here but, the cost is getting ridiculous and we're seriously considering cutting the cable.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Youtube is launching a stream tv program package that includes espn for $35.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

That's where I'm at. I was going to ditch cable a few months ago, but managed to get a decent price for another 12 months from a friend there. I need to find something where I can get league pass on it as well. If Playstation Vue had that, I probably would have made the switch. I need live sports on my tv, and not the grainy ones either.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

With Sling, you can still access internet hosted streams like WatchESPN, etc that might be better. But my main tiff with it is that you're essentially making Sophie's Choice when it comes to sports channels. You can get ESPN but you won't get FoxSports or NBCSN.

I have Sling and I don't understand why they made their subscription options the way they did. Blue is supposedly the "basic" one while orange is supposedly the "premium" one, but they have different channels (with some overlap). For instance, you can have HLN/CNN but not MSNBC if you pick Orange and vice-versa with Blue. It really makes no sense.

There's an option to buy both packages, but that makes no sense either. I just want to have all the news channels and all the sports channels.

Another issue I have with Sling is that there's no option to record things (for most channels anyway) or rewind/pause, which basically means you have to watch it live.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I have Sling and I don't understand why they made their subscription options the way they did. Blue is supposedly the "basic" one while orange is supposedly the "premium" one, but they have different channels (with some overlap). For instance, you can have HLN/CNN but not MSNBC if you pick Orange and vice-versa with Blue. It really makes no sense.

There's an option to buy both packages, but that makes no sense either. I just want to have all the news channels and all the sports channels.

Another issue I have with Sling is that there's no option to record things (for most channels anyway) or rewind/pause, which basically means you have to watch it live.

Sure it does. They want you to pay for their most expensive package.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

i have a phone-internet-tv bundle due to a sign up promotion. after thats over ill probably cancel it as I watch nearly 0 tv these days.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Good stuff guys, I am going to look into Sling more closely....
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject:

sickside323 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Sure it does. They want you to pay for their most expensive package.

Yeah sports fans are far away the most likely to grab all the sports channels, pork barrel packages be damned. I was interested in Sling too but it really blows that they basically divided the ESPN packages into one package, the Fox Sports package into the other. In order to get both, you end up having to pay $40 bones.

I'm really looking to find an exit strategy from my cable provider. I used to be pretty pleased with Time Warner. Since Charter bought them out, the NBA/NFL/MLB networks are now in a higher tier. $50 more bucks just to get those 3 channels. Getting nickel and dimed to death...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Its pretty bad how they monetized all the sports and put them on channels in which you need to pay premium just to watch it....20 years ago you could get by with basic cable and catch the local MLB, NBA, and NFL games....now NFL is pretty much the only league with games on free TV. Not only that but the costs have doubled and in some cases tripled..great for the teams, but terrible for the fans.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

The old trusty standby of a good VPN + the streaming sports packages is usually good, until you get to the playoffs.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
The old trusty standby of a good VPN + the streaming sports packages is usually good, until you get to the playoffs.

Any good,possibly great, VPN ideas?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I've used PIA for years without issue. I'd recommend checking out torrentfreak for good VPN reviews. Here's one they just posted a week ago:

https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-anonymous-review-2017-170304/
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Or just make more money and keep the damn cord! Haha.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Or just make more money and keep the damn cord! Haha.

The answer to all of lifes problems....
I'm pretty sure people have a breaking point where the cable companies nickel and dime you until you've had enough.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
focus wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I've used PIA for years without issue. I'd recommend checking out torrentfreak for good VPN reviews. Here's one they just posted a week ago:

https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-anonymous-review-2017-170304/

Fantastic, thank you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: