Official LUKE WALTON P&M Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

Luke Walton undecided who to start in backcourt with Jordan Clarkson vs Rockets

Quote:
For the next few hours, Lakers coach Luke Walton will think long and hard about what to do with his lineup.

He already has determined that Lakers guard Jordan Clarkson will start at point guard for the second consecutive game when the Lakers (20-47) visit the Houston Rockets (46-21) on Wednesday at Toyota Sports Center. Walton has yet to decide who will start with Clarkson in the backcourt?

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2017/03/15/lakers-luke-walton-undecided-start-backcourt-jordan-clarkson/
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/shaqpropagation/status/842096852195454976

This is the first time I'm legitimately agitated with Luke.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

I can understand what he's doing, but yeah.
I hope next year will be different. I can't stand losing anymore, for Christ's sake.
frenchbullcho
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
tox wrote:

I hope next year will be different. I can't stand losing anymore, for Christ's sake.

Remember when majority of us believed the tank was finally over from the beginning of the season?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

I'm upset more by losing continuity than not starting Nick despite the numbers here, because Nick has also been kinda way worse post all-star break, while Clarkson has been picking it up.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

And if he didn't sit Young and DLo played well enough to play us out of the pick then you would be agitated with that as well...

This board is so bipolar.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
L.A. Times Sports ✔ @latimessports
Luke Walton considering starting D'Angelo Russell at shooting guard http://lat.ms/2mtQCVg
1:36 PM - 15 Mar 2017

Luke Walton considering starting D'Angelo Russell at shooting guard
D’Angelo Russell might start at shooting guard on Wednesday night against the Houston Rockets.
latimes.com
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

frenchbullcho wrote:
danzag wrote:
tox wrote:

Remember when majority of us believed the tank was finally over from the beginning of the season?

This is the hardest the Lakers have ever tanked. They also didn't fully commit to it in prior seasons. My memory might be foggy
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
tox wrote:

Really? I don't understand this at all. I understand the need to tank. But I don't understand how you can so willfully sabotage your own best (or second best) asset. Does anyone think Russell is the kind of guy who's going to be make something out of nothing in semi-transition like JC (or Lou Will)? Of course not, that's not his game. He needs competent guys around him.

Like, if you liked what you saw out of the first 5 games or whatever from Russell (22/5/3), why the (bleep) would you remove the one guy without whom Russell is just terrible?

And then instead of downgrading from Nick to JC (who's at least a credible catch & shoot threat), you go to NWABA? Of course he was going to suck. Nwaba/ Ingram/ Randle/ Zubac is the kind of lineup that Lou Williams would excel with, not D'Angelo Russell.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
tox wrote:

And if he didn't sit Young and DLo played well enough to play us out of the pick then you would be agitated with that as well...

This board is so bipolar.

No? I'm not an idiot. For me the growth of the guys we have is more important than increasing our lottery odds by 9%. I get benching Moz to let Zu and Tarik (and Randle/Nance) play the 5. I get benching Deng just because Brewer is a downgrade on offense and he helps the tank.

I don't get downgrading Young to Nwaba so that your arguably best young player loses his favorite weapon.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
frenchbullcho wrote:
danzag wrote:
tox wrote:

This is the hardest the Lakers have ever tanked. They also didn't fully commit to it in prior seasons. My memory might be foggy

They didnt have to commit, thet had Byron.

!...
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

I was really excited about Luke Walton this year, and I promised that after Byron I would not criticize him.

However, I have serious questions about his judgment, and what he sees. He seems to always complicate what seems to be a simple decision. Its as if a decision is obvious to everyone, he will do something different just to show that hes smart.

He also seems to be obsessed with the cutesy moves.

As an example, the lineup going into this year was not complicated:

DLO/JC/BI or Deng/Randle/Mozgov

1) He stated that he was only experimenting with JC off the bench; but he stuck with it the entire year even though it was clear that JC was regressing all year.

2) Choosing MWP over ABrown or any other young player. This was the cutesy move. Supposedly, MWP was going to make our guys tougher and bring defensive intensity. However, MWP was critical to our season falling apart as Luke was forced to play him when we were injured. He single handedly allowed teams to go on big runs.

3) He insisted on bringing BI off the bench even though JC/Lou were shutting him out. Even after a couple of games were he started with DLO and played better, Luke went out of his way to make sure BI was chained to the bench. Until we officially tanked, then BI started and Surprise, Surprise, he started to play better.

4) Rotations. He Repeatedly benched hot players. Overplayed the bench. When a rotation would work one game, he would quickly change to a different rotation. On the whole, he had very little continuity in his rotations. Even if it worked in one game, he completely sabotaged the team in the long term.

5) Favorites. Despite preaching ball movement, he clearly favored the more ISO heavy, low IQ ball players like JC/JR/LOU. In fact, they were given extremely long leashes. He would often not punish them for mistakes which other players would get punished. In fact, often times, other players would get punished for these players' mistakes.

6) DLO. This is the most damning. His mistreatment and management of DLO is bewildering. Unless there is something seriously wrong off the court, I am very frustrated by the way DLO has been handled by the Lakers on the whole. Maybe he is not mature and maybe he parties too much, but he is simple to understand.

He does not respond well to tough love. I get that maybe HE SHOULD, but he doesnt. Not everyone is the same.

When he gets minutes, freedom, and encourages; he plays well, and most importantly the TEAM PLAYS MUCH BETTER.

Throughout the year, whenever he got minutes and freedom to make mistakes; he played GREAT especially for his age.

Whenever Luke messed with his minutes, whether overplaying the bench or just cutting his minutes short, he struggled and went into slumps.

Nothing exemplifies this better than after the ASB. Lou is finally gone, the Lakers finally open up minutes and give him freedom. He starts to blowup, except for one game (which he had NWaba as his backcourt mate), and YOU BENCH HIM?!?! This was compounded by the fact that he had those embarassing plays, this is when as a young player you needed your coach's support the most. Luke doesnt even wait a game (a meaningless game at that) to let the kid recoup his confidence after being embarassed and BENCHES HIM THE VERY NEXT GAME!

After the ASB, DLO was blowing up. It was the MOST ENTERTAINING aspect of the Lakers; and after the benching or experimenting he has expectedly struggled.

During the draft, he was described as a Boom or Bust player. The Lakers seem to want him to be more of a role player. They want him to concentrate on not turning the ball over, playing uneven minutes, starting or coming off the bench. Well, if you try to make a boom or bust player into a role player, you definitely WONT GET THE BOOM!!
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Luke is going to start MWP with Clarkson in the backcourt.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12
Jump to: