Reasonable expectations to get back to the finals?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Reasonable expectations to get back to the finals?
1-2 years
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
3-4 years
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
5-6 years
38%
 38%  [ 18 ]
7-8 years
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
9-10 years
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
11+ years
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 47

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reasonable expectations to get back to the finals?

As you all know the Lakers have been to the finals 31 times. They don't always win but they get there and when you get there you have a shot at a title. Expectations for this franchise are to get to the finals and win. It's been seven years now since the last title and the last four we have missed the playoffs. Jim and Mitch are no longer in charge but they left Magic and Rob with somewhat of a mess that could take some time to sort out. Considering where the team is now what is your reasonable expectation for the new management team to get the Lakers back the finals?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

I honestly have no idea anymore.

Do we get a top 3 pick? Does that player pan out? How long will the FO give our young guys?

Do we trade for a star like PG13? So many questions. Championships frankly are not even in my horizon. The question should be how far from the playoffs. If we get a star player, keep some young players, and do well in FA, we may be in the playoffs next year, the year after most likely.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

There is definitley alot of challenges. One of the biggest ones is the western conference is the superior conference which makes it tougher to get to the finals.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Do we get a top 3 pick? Does that player pan out? How long will the FO give our young guys?

Do we trade for a star like PG13? So many questions. Championships frankly are not even in my horizon. The question should be how far from the playoffs. If we get a star player, keep some young players, and do well in FA, we may be in the playoffs next year, the year after most likely.

The fact that we are even having this conversation is so depressing. My reasonable expections getting to the playoffs is 1-2 years.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreed.

Get to the playoffs and then let's talk.

Who say that we might even get there again.

Clippers cannot even get to the Western Conf. Finals.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

...after the next cba?
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
There is definitley alot of challenges. One of the biggest ones is the western conference is the superior conference which makes it tougher to get to the finals.

And the teams that did not make the playoff such as Timberwolves have more pieces than we do.

Our players need to grow up so we can really see what we have.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreed.

Get to the playoffs and then let's talk.

Who say that we might even get there again.

Clippers cannot even get to the Western Conf. Finals.

Yeah. Lived through Magic/Shaq/Kobe, etc. so I consider myself a blessed Lakers fan. But it may be a while till the next...
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

They need to acquire a Hall of Fame player before you can estimate. If Magic and Rob persuade lebron to sign as a free agent and they keep the #1 pick, then they might have a five year window. Otherwise, they have no chance.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject:

My expectations are low right now. I feel the Chris Paul veto trade crippled our franchise. Similar to the the Len Bias situation for the Celtics back in 1986. The Celtics never recovered and it took them 22 years to get back to the finals. With the new CBA and the current situation we are in it could take us another 10+ years to get back to the finals.

Last edited by 32 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject:

5-6 years is a realistic expectation... our team would look vastly different by then of course... No more than 4 players on the 2017 roster would still be here, and that is a high estimate!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject:

I'm so down right now I don't think we'll be competitive for the next 10 years or so.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject:

I don't think we even begin to guess until we see what they can do in the playoffs. I remember the first time the Thunder made the playoffs (2010). You just knew they were going to be good.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:

This topic and the question is the same topic the FO will be discussing when the season over.

So very good thread by the OP.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

^ Thanks IG.
Blackhart217
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

I chose 5-6 years but could be worse if we lose the pick or get Melo'd this offseason.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

7-8 minimum unless they manage to snag a star in a trade.

!...
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
They need to acquire a Hall of Fame player before you can estimate. If Magic and Rob persuade lebron to sign as a free agent and they keep the #1 pick, then they might have a five year window. Otherwise, they have no chance.

What's up Ming. Good to see you. Why Lebron now? He is going to be 33 at the end of the year. He has put alot of mileage on his body. The guy is a beast but Father time is going to get to him at some point.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

I see us being back in the playoffs in around 2-4 years. I see us as maybe being contenders 6-7 years from now. Back in the Finals? Possibly longer...it takes a superstar to get there and the variables for acquiring one are too shaky to predict anything for certain.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

The roadmap is pretty clear, assuming worst case scenario that we lose our pick next year

- End of 17-18 stretch moz or Deng or trade both or either
Sign PG, who is the only special FA that we've been talking about over the past 3 years that I think is actually coming

In 5 years

PG - DLO 26 Year old entering his prime - Borderline All Star
SG - George 31 Middle/End of Prime - All Star, Team Alpha
SF - Ingram 24 About to hit prime - All Star, Heir Apparent to George
PF - Randle 27 In Prime - Average NBA PF who rebounds but doesn't defend
C - Zubac 24 Abount to hit prime - Marc Gasol Light, great all around center

By then Golden State will be ready to clear out and it'll be us, Minnesota and it seems like San Antonio will be good forever vying for a trip to the finals. At that point it just has to do with coaching, some luck and who has the player(s) with the most clutch genes. One or more of the starters above will have to prove they are the best player on a championship team by hitting big shots, making stops and being a leader...if we have that, chips, if not we end up like the Clippers...talented roster, but no real winners on the squad.

That's the general plan anyway I think, doubt it could happen any earlier than that at least.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

What's up Ming. Good to see you. Why Lebron now? He is going to be 33 at the end of the year. He has put alot of mileage on his body. The guy is a beast but Father time is going to get to him at some point.

If LeBron makes the transition to PF he's likely to play at a very high (though not GOAT) level for years to come barring a Kobe-level catastrophe.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

I don't expect to win 10 games with this roster so let's see if we can at least keep our own top 3 pick.

I repeat, tanking is a painful process where you sacrifice an entire season to have a shot at a potential franchise player. Lou has the 3rd better PER among all SG in this league and we know a player like him is just going to help us to win about 20 games per season, so drafting a very good player after tanking should be considered a mistake and a failure, tanking is about finding the next franchise player. I hope we can keep our pick and the new front office have balls to start a huge roster overhaul trading a few young pieces for a sure thing and going hard after another in free agency. With two all stars in place alongside 3 or 4 young prospects to groom we have a foundation to start, at this point the team is a mess.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

Unless the cba changes we could be seeing 10+ years before we see another finals tbh
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

We talkin' about Finals?

Finals?

Let's start with the 8th seed...
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

How about a more realistic question like when will we win 40 games?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: