Nintendo Switch (Super Mario Odyssey released)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Ugh, I hate to get a system just for one game. Maybe I can get a Wiiu for really cheap.

Mario is releasing holiday 17 supposedly. Thats what I tell myself to justify wanting the Switch anyway.

If you can think of any others, let me know.

Sold.out.everywhere.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Why pay $300 to play Breath of the Wild when you can play it on your PC at 4K?
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:

Well I destroyed my Alienware, so I would have to drop $1500 on a new pc. $300 switch sounds like a better investment but I dont want to spend that much either.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

Well I destroyed my Alienware, so I would have to drop $1500 on a new pc. $300 switch sounds like a better investment but I dont want to spend that much either.

That's one hell of a bender you're on.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:

Well if you happen to have a strong enough PC and a 4k monitor I guess I could see your point, but even then just because you are upscaling a 720p Wii U game to 4k doesn't mean it is a better experience. I am sure there are a lot of glitches and slowdowns emulating it. I personally love playing it in handheld mode. Most of the hours I put into hasn't been on a tv. It has been in bed on the tablet.

And just because the only great game that is out right now for Switch is Zelda BOTW that doesn't mean that is the only great game that is ever going to come out. We aren't just going to throw out our Switch after we beat Zelda. I didn't buy it just to play Zelda.

The major risk for me was being a early adopter. Which sometimes can mean being a beta tester. I do hate when I would buy a GBA, DS or 3DS and like 6 months later see a new better version come out. I was glad that I waited to buy a 3DS until a got a 3DS XL, but even then there was a New 3DS XL like a few months later. So I am sure I will be annoyed if the Switch follows something similar.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:

That's one hell of a bender you're on.

Hahaha, I'm still feeling good. Day two is going to start a little later then planned, need sleep
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
How would you compare Breath of the Wild to a game like Elder Scroll Skyrim?
I've only watched my friend play BotW, but I logged in 100+ hours in Skyrim (man I miss senior year of high school, lol).

Since they are the only two open world games I've experienced to a large amount, I found an obvious amount of similarity in terms of "feel." That wonder you get exploring a massive world. Finding ridiculously beautiful vantage points. Etc.

There are a couple things that are different. Tonally, it's clear from the arstyle and aesthetic that Skyrim obviously is going for more realism. BotW is pretty whimsical -- for example, when you cook food, you put ingredients together and after a second or two, you get a poof of air and you have your final dish. They don't try to make it look realistic.*

The other thing that's apparent is BotW is way more interactive. For example, you can cut down trees (which will poof straight into logs), set fire to trees and shrubs and grass, climb mountains, etc. This changes the feel of combat drastically. I've only watched the combat, but it looks way more entertaining than Skyrim's, whose hack-n-slash gameplay got pretty old.

Those are a couple of things that stuck out to me immediately.

*I should point out that it's not like the game is unrealistic. In true Zelda fashion, the physics and chemistry behave in intuitive ways, so that you can solve puzzles (or attack enemies, or whatever) in ways where you draw from what you'd do in real life were you in that situation. But it's not quite as beholden to a realistic aesthetic as Skyrim, and so they'll do things like poof a fallen tree into logs immediately to streamline that experience.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

I was able to buy a Switch, and played Zelda a bit last night. What an amazing game! I like the style of the game, it negates the fact the system is underpowered compared to the PS4/Xbox One.

Definitely brings back the feelings of Zelda: OOT for me, which I didn't expect again. Just an amazing game so far, I don't feel the need to rush through the story as I usually do in other open world games.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
I was able to buy a Switch, and played Zelda a bit last night. What an amazing game! I like the style of the game, it negates the fact the system is underpowered compared to the PS4/Xbox One.

Definitely brings back the feelings of Zelda: OOT for me, which I didn't expect again. Just an amazing game so far, I don't feel the need to rush through the story as I usually do in other open world games.

Speaking of which, finished OOT today. It was good fun, but I can only imagine how in love I'd be with it had I played it about 15 years ago.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

Speaking of which, finished OOT today. It was good fun, but I can only imagine how in love I'd be with it had I played it about 15 years ago.

Probably my favorite video game as a kid, great game. The entire collecting the spiritual stones and having the game flip atmosphere wise after he grows up was great. Barely played BOTW yet though, but very cool in the short bursts I have.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
tox wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

Probably my favorite video game as a kid, great game. The entire collecting the spiritual stones and having the game flip atmosphere wise after he grows up was great. Barely played BOTW yet though, but very cool in the short bursts I have.

Yeah, actually when I first got the Master Sword and walked out of the ToT... oh (bleep) that was awesome. I actually felt bad killing some of the zombie guys knowing they were just normal Hylians (until they decided to jump on me, that is). There were quite a few moments that were cool. My favorite part was the Sheik reveal. I grew up playing SSB: Melee, so I was sending all kinds of snarky snapchats to my friends about that reveal

I just bought Majora's Mask! Looking forward to that. My buddy told me it's probably aged better than OOT so I'm hoping for something great. Gonna see if a blind run (i.e. no internet) is possible lol
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Majora's Mask is awesome. I think I like it more than OoT, frankly.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject:

So Super Mario Odyssey has been released. A lot of high scores for it. It's currently sitting at a 97 at metacritic. Won't get my copy till tomorrow in the mail.

Two classic games released for a new system in the first 7 months that it has been out. A long with Splatoon 2 and Mario/Rabbids Kingdom Battle. It is also a great indy game system replacing the Vita. I can't expect the same first party game level of quality for year two but at least now that it has been a success we will see more third-party games.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
So Super Mario Odyssey has been released. A lot of high scores for it. It's currently sitting at a 97 at metacritic. Won't get my copy till tomorrow in the mail.

Two classic games released for a new system in the first 7 months that it has been out. A long with Splatoon 2 and Mario/Rabbids Kingdom Battle. It is also a great indy game system replacing the Vita. I can't expect the same first party game level of quality for year two but at least now that it has been a success we will see more third-party games.

Received my copy a few hours ago, just played for an hour before handing it over to my kids who were desperately waiting for their turn.
First impression is that this has the potential of becoming the GOAT of all Mario games, maybe all console games.
You normally never should buy a console for one game, but this is one really good reason to buy a Switch.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

It arrived today! Can't wait to jump in.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: