Westbrook chasing history
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Westbrook chasing history

Westbrook has 24/10/16 right now in the 3rd quarter and OKC is going to win comfortably against Toronto, up 97-70. This triple double tonight gives him the 34th on the year out of 68 games. He needs 8 more in 14 games to beat Oscar's record. Can he do it?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Who's going to stop him? His teammates? His coach? Naw.

I wouldn't call Westbrook's performance "empty stats." I could go with "half empty stats." In about six weeks, we're going to have to listen to some of the talking heads whining about how Westbrook posted all those numbers but didn't win the MVP.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I wouldn't call Westbrook's performance "empty stats." I could go with "half empty stats." In about six weeks, we're going to have to listen to some of the talking heads whining about how Westbrook posted all those numbers but didn't win the MVP.

Yeah, Westbrook's doing the best he can for this deprived OKC team, but with Houston exceeding most people's expectations, I don't see him passing Harden in the MVP race. Kawhi is an interesting candidate to me, and I'd heavily consider him if San Antonio passes GSW in the standings by the end of the year.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
In about six weeks, we're going to have to listen to some of the talking heads whining about how Westbrook posted all those numbers but didn't win the MVP.

Hopefully.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

Yeah, Westbrook's doing the best he can for this deprived OKC team, but with Houston exceeding most people's expectations, I don't see him passing Harden in the MVP race. Kawhi is an interesting candidate to me, and I'd heavily consider him if San Antonio passes GSW in the standings by the end of the year.

OKC is not a deprived team. Kanter, Adams and Oladipo are very good players. All max level guys. I'm not saying the team is stacked, but he isn't playing with scrubs.
LakersAlldaWay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Averaging a triple double in less than 35 minutes per game and carrying his team to a 4-6 seed in the west. Oscar needed 44 minutes per. There should be no MVP debate.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject:

LakersAlldaWay wrote:
Averaging a triple double in less than 35 minutes per game and carrying his team to a 4-6 seed in the west. Oscar needed 44 minutes per. There should be no MVP debate.

The LG Experts didn't want him in the off season.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Dude's knees are going to dissolve.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

LakersAlldaWay wrote:

Naw. The guy is about to blow away the all-time record for usage rate. When Kobe set the record at 38.74% in '06, he was widely derided as a ball hog. Well, Westbrook is currently at 42%.

Oscar didn't win the MVP in his triple double season, either.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakersAlldaWay wrote:

Naw. The guy is about to blow away the all-time record for usage rate. When Kobe set the record at 38.74% in '06, he was widely derided as a ball hog. Well, Westbrook is currently at 42%.

He's also shooting under 42% from the field (or under 47% eFG) with 5.3 turnovers per game. And his defense isn't exactly DPOY quality.

So, yeah, there's plenty of debate. For my $$$, I'd take Harden, Kawhi and LeBron over Westbrook in the R/S MVP race at this point ...
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

This new generation is breaking some records. 73 wins. 13 3's in a game. Westbrook will prob average a triple double. What's next? The 33-game win streak? Kobe's 81?
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
The Logo wrote:

OKC is not a deprived team. Kanter, Adams and Oladipo are very good players. All max level guys. I'm not saying the team is stacked, but he isn't playing with scrubs.

OKC is somewhat deprived. Oladipo and Adams are good players, but they aren't high level scoring threats that cause opposing coaches to lose sleep. Plus, they are a bad 3 pt shooting team. That makes what Westbrook is doing all the more impressive. As opposed to Lebron averaging 9 assist a game on a team with an embarrassment of riches. Lebron's assists this year are somewhat inflated. Westbrook is getting his the hard way.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

They've been trying to make Curry's "winning matters" statement into a crime against humanity so i think you're underplaying the potential for those talking heads.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Boy, I am going to find it hard to see how Westbrook doesn't get MVP.

He is the definition of most valuable player. You take him off the Thunder and that team is competing with the Lakers for second worst record.

You can't even call him a ball hog like they did Kobe since he's averaging at least 10 assists a game and his team isn't a bottom dweller either (another excuse against Kobe).

He's carrying that team and then some.

But yet, there is that sliver of a chance he gets robbed. You just can't trust the voters.

Bye.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:

If I had a ballot he'd probably finish 4th.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

I think you can make a legitimate case for Harden, Westbrook, Lebron, or Leonard.

My gut tells me harden will end up with it.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

I think you can make a legitimate case for Harden, Westbrook, Lebron, or Leonard.

My gut tells me harden will end up with it.

Those are definitely the 4 candidates. My order would probably be LeBron, Leonard, Harden, Westbrook. I agree Harden will get it.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
The Logo wrote:

OKC is somewhat deprived. Oladipo and Adams are good players, but they aren't high level scoring threats that cause opposing coaches to lose sleep. Plus, they are a bad 3 pt shooting team. That makes what Westbrook is doing all the more impressive. As opposed to Lebron averaging 9 assist a game on a team with an embarrassment of riches. Lebron's assists this year are somewhat inflated. Westbrook is getting his the hard way.

No other Rockets (outside of Harden) cause coaches to lose sleep either. Westbrook doesn't have a stacked team like LeBron but his team is not deprived. Unless by deprived you mean not title contending talent.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
The Logo wrote:

No other Rockets (outside of Harden) cause coaches to lose sleep either. Westbrook doesn't have a stacked team like LeBron but his team is not deprived. Unless by deprived you mean not title contending talent.

Maybe so, but I think you'd agree that Houston clearly has more talent than OKC, right? I love what Harden is doing in terms of his stats, but Westbrook getting 10 assists a game is more impressive than Harden doing that in a system that is all about up-tempo open court ball, on a team with more 3-pt shooting threats.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:
This new generation is breaking some records. 73 wins. 13 3's in a game. Westbrook will prob average a triple double. What's next? The 33-game win streak? Kobe's 81?

blasphemy, those are PnG records
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Gellollo wrote:

blasphemy, those are PnG records

Klay could have broken 81 earlier this year if he had really wanted to. He had 60 in three quarters.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Maybe so, but I think you'd agree that Houston clearly has more talent than OKC, right? I love what Harden is doing in terms of his stats, but Westbrook getting 10 assists a game is more impressive than Harden doing that in a system that is all about up-tempo open court ball, on a team with more 3-pt shooting threats.

I definitely don't agree that Houston has more talent. Presti wouldn't trade Oladipo, Kanter or Adams for any Rocket not named Harden. I do think we utilize our talent better though.

The Rockets are an average 3 point shooting team, like 15th in the league. We just take a ton. Harden isn't surrounded by great shooters.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Harden clear #1 right now, Leonard #2 and Westbrook/Lebron to tail it off.

KD would have probably won it had he stayed healthy.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
The Logo wrote:

I definitely don't agree that Houston has more talent. Presti wouldn't trade Oladipo, Kanter or Adams for any Rocket not named Harden. I do think we utilize our talent better though.

The Rockets are an average 3 point shooting team, like 15th in the league. We just take a ton. Harden isn't surrounded by great shooters.

Don't think you can say HOU has more talent than OKC. Pretty much a tie..if anything OKC has much better "pieces". Harden's team just plays much better and that's because of Harden. Harden > Westbrook..you haven't watched enough basketball this year if you think otherwise.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakersAlldaWay wrote:

He's also shooting under 42% from the field (or under 47% eFG) with 5.3 turnovers per game. And his defense isn't exactly DPOY quality.

So, yeah, there's plenty of debate. For my $$$, I'd take Harden, Kawhi and LeBron over Westbrook in the R/S MVP race at this point ...

As usage increases, efficiency decreases. So what you and AH are saying is linked.

People arguing against WB remind me of the arguments made against Kobe from 2005 - 2007. In retrospect, it was total nonsense. He was the best player in the league. And he was doing the most.
Harden reminds me of the Nash/Dirk argument. Players who are doing less on the floor and have better team records.
Meanwhile WB/Kobe is carrying an otherwise non-playoff team to the postseason
Kobe dropped his 81 point game, 4 back-to-back 50 point games, back-to-back 60 point games, seasons with 20 40+ point games. Team going 16-4 over those 20 games. With Smush Parker and Kwame Brown starting. But "Nash and Dirk deserve those MVPs."

Next I'll hear how OKC would be better if Westbrook did less. Just like I heard about Kobe from 2005-2007. Then when Pau shows up in 2008, magically Kobe isn't a selfish ass hole anymore.
MVP is supposed to be an individual award. What individual has had the best season.

I just laugh thinking about what WB would look like next to floor spacers like Ariza and Ryan Anderson. While Harden tries to kick out to Andre Roberson. Splitting paint space with Sabonis, Gibson, Adams, and Kanter.

Harden does deserve MVP consideration moreso than Dirk and Nash back in the day. I'm more impressed with Harden than I was with those guys back in the day. But I still stand by the Kobe = WB, Harden = Nash, Dirk metaphor.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: