Netflix: Iron Fist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Netflix: Iron Fist

Regardless of the terrible reviews this show has gotten I would highly recommend.

The story is a bit slow and the writing could be better but otherwise it's really entertaining!

I'm 5 episodes in and plan on finishing the series this weekend
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

I don't get the hate. I liked it, yeah it was very predictable and cliche in parts but it felt more cohesive to the Netflix/Marvel universe than (bleep) Luke Cage. Plus better villains than a brother saying "father loved you more than me now I'm going to kill you"... blaaa.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Three episodes in and enjoying it.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

I quite like it so far, have watched 10 episodes, kinda corny but watchable for sure.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Three episodes in and enjoying it.

same
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject:

Pretty much on par with Luke Cage quality-wise. But I like the collection of characters better - Danny, Colleen, Joy, and Ward.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

I'm really trying with this show LJ but I'm struggling with it. Finn has almost no screen presence. The limited fight scenes I watched in E1 are awful...
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

This show is driving me nuts. Just a few hair pulling grievances:

1) Action - It's a martial arts based show. How do they not even get this part right? The scenes are on par with a middling episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Every cliche camera technique is employed to mask the obvious body double (quick cuts, ceiling shots, closeups of frantic hand). The only thing Finn Jones seems capable of doing on his own is yoga ("I need to harness my Chi".) This of course could have all been avoided if they put him in the friggin' costume! but the show runner is too incompetent to even figure that out.

2) Finn Jones - For starters he has the physique of man who looks like he's never done a pull-up in his life, tolerable for an episode of Hollyoaks or whatever but ridiculous for the role of a kick ass, martial arts champion/superhero. His acting is the main problem, though. He plays the character like an angsty, anxiety-ridden idiot teen. Half the time he has this perplexed look on his face like any moment he's going to break down in tears. In one laughable scene Colleen Wing (a character made equally boring so they can have boring sex) says to him "you put on this cloak of bravado" and I'm thinking what show is she watching.

This leads to 3) which is writing. Every emotion a character is experiencing has to be explained, ad nauseam, in bold letters. There hasn't been this much exposition since a 60's Stan Lee written comic. The problem extends to all the characters, but it's particularly excruciating with Danny Rand. Have the show writers ever seen an action movie? Men don't talk and share this much, but if you're going to go in this direction at least hire writers capable of doing it at better than a 3rd grade level.

4) Perhaps I'll never know the answer to this one since I rage quit at episode 7, but how do they not show any scenes in K'un Lun. Is renting out a monastery that expensive? It's the coolest part of this character's story and they never film it so he can mope around an office building. At least on Luke Cage's show (a masterpiece compared to this one) they got the origin right.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

^^^ You'll be pleased to know the showrunner is also going to lead the way for the Inhumans. Guess Marvel TV is just going to start mailing it in. After he dismantled Dexter in the final season, I can't fathom how this joker keeps landing gigs.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
This show is driving me nuts. Just a few hair pulling grievances:

1) Action - It's a martial arts based show. How do they not even get this part right? The scenes are on par with a middling episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Every cliche camera technique is employed to mask the obvious body double (quick cuts, ceiling shots, closeups of frantic hand). The only thing Finn Jones seems capable of doing on his own is yoga ("I need to harness my Chi".) This of course could have all been avoided if they put him in the friggin' costume! but the show runner is too incompetent to even figure that out.

2) Finn Jones - For starters he has the physique of man who looks like he's never done a pull-up in his life, tolerable for an episode of Hollyoaks or whatever but ridiculous for the role of a kick ass, martial arts champion/superhero. His acting is the main problem, though. He plays the character like an angsty, anxiety-ridden idiot teen. Half the time he has this perplexed look on his face like any moment he's going to break down in tears. In one laughable scene Colleen Wing (a character made equally boring so they can have boring sex) says to him "you put on this cloak of bravado" and I'm thinking what show is she watching.

This leads to 3) which is writing. Every emotion a character is experiencing has to be explained, ad nauseam, in bold letters. There hasn't been this much exposition since a 60's Stan Lee written comic. The problem extends to all the characters, but it's particularly excruciating with Danny Rand. Have the show writers ever seen an action movie? Men don't talk and share this much, but if you're going to go in this direction at least hire writers capable of doing it at better than a 3rd grade level.

4) Perhaps I'll never know the answer to this one since I rage quit at episode 7, but how do they not show any scenes in K'un Lun. Is renting out a monastery that expensive? It's the coolest part of this character's story and they never film it so he can mope around an office building. At least on Luke Cage's show (a masterpiece compared to this one) they got the origin right.

I thought Luke Cage was far, far worse in this regard. Unacceptable in this Golden Era of TV.

Cottonmouth: "I'm going to do this because I like money. Did I tell you how much I like money? Because money is my motivation. Money is numero uno. Like a businessman, I sure am all about the money." Trash.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm a fan of the character , so much so that my son was Iron Fist for Halloween last year. But I'm a bit underwhelmed at the start of this one.

They tease us with 20 seconds of his origin story, only to flash back to current day, leaving us hanging. Over and over.

I think I'm on episode 5. The action isn't the best... why does Rand seem to be picking and choosing when to become the Iron Fist? I want to see some full on flaming fists already.

The managed to also shoehorn in Rosario Dawson's character...
most likely as a bridge to the other Defenders... but it feels forced.
I'll finish the series up in the next few days.. but so far, it is lacking.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Characters and dialogue mostly suck and acting is B-grade, but still an enjoyable show to watch.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

I thought it was ok. Started out pretty slow but it eventually picked up. They spent far too much time with the Rand Corporation stuff. Should have been more Hand stuff. The way they transitioned Colleen Wing seemed unbelievable to me. The martial arts definitely needs more work. The good news is I think all of problems can be easily fixed in season 2.

Marvel/Netflix needs to rethink their season lengths. Iron Fist and Luke Cage probably would have been better off with an 8 or 10 episode season.
aachan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Enjoyable, but nothing special. The martial arts by Iron Fist/Danny/Finn was just straight up laughable though. Looked like play fighting to me, was I supposed to believe that a guy with the physique of someone who looks like they've never done any weight training at all, could take on thugs/ninjas/guards etc. etc. more than half his size with that sorry excuse of fight choreo?

Everything else was forgivable, especially Colleen in them trackies and short shorts.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Jessica Henwick

everything else
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Thanks LJ/DD for making me stay the course. It's fairly enjoyable (especially if you're knee deep into comics) at it's best, watchable at it's worse as of E3 for me. I'm going to truck through it for the Defenders' sake.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject:

So I liked the first few episodes because he was believable as a yoga/chill guy.. but he's really not believable as a warrior, so goofy. Still liked the show. I'm not familiar with Iron Fist, so the twist at ep. 10 got me, awesome. The show started and ended well for me.

I like the supporting characters - Ward, Joy, the father. Some decent acting there. Better than Danny.

Funny that these monk dudes have so much anger. Hard to buy Davos and Joy's plot for next season.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

*************SPOILER*************

Let's talk about Joy and the ending. So she goes from hating her father for framing Danny and wanting to help him to wanting him killed? That made zero sense.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

Started off reeeeeeallly slow with some bad fight choreography. But got much better as the series went on. I think it finally hit a grove at episode 8 or so.

I ended up really enjoying it! I like the character development they did. I thought Finn did a great job of being childlike in his personality since Danny's social skills in the regular world pretty much stopped at 10 years old.

***SPOILER***

I loved the drunken master fight! Also, they will have to further explain how Joy turned on Ward and Danny at the end in season 2. Davo's turn makes sense. Hers seemed kind of sudden.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
*************SPOILER*************

Let's talk about Joy and the ending. So she goes from hating her father for framing Danny and wanting to help him to wanting him killed? That made zero sense.

Spoiler response:
Quote:
Yeah, hopefully they explain it later on. She was actually one of the more understanding characters in the show. You would think Danny would have said goodbye to her after deciding to live in K'un L'un. So she wouldn't have to kill him. He was willing to leave!
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject:

If you can sit through the Danny Rand doing his Ben Stiller impression of Mr. Furious in Mystery Men 3 times every episode, it's not too bad. I get they were going for the whole "he never had a childhood or chance to grow up and face his emotions" stuff, but it wasn't believable and made it even more silly when you have these two adult women sitting around him (One who apparently loves him) not laughing at how childish he is sometimes.

Still, I liked it more than Luke Cage, which, frankly, bored me at parts and made me fast forward at times. At least Iron Fist was entertaining throughout, even if cheesy and disappointing here and there. My hope is that they'll develop more of a story arc with him and make him more of a bad ass. Honestly, I think they need to power up all the Netflix heroes. They got the closest with Luke Cage, but even he could be stronger.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
If you can sit through the Danny Rand doing his Ben Stiller impression of Mr. Furious in Mystery Men 3 times every episode, it's not too bad. I get they were going for the whole "he never had a childhood or chance to grow up and face his emotions" stuff, but it wasn't believable and made it even more silly when you have these two adult women sitting around him (One who apparently loves him) not laughing at how childish he is sometimes.

Still, I liked it more than Luke Cage, which, frankly, bored me at parts and made me fast forward at times. At least Iron Fist was entertaining throughout, even if cheesy and disappointing here and there. My hope is that they'll develop more of a story arc with him and make him more of a bad ass. Honestly, I think they need to power up all the Netflix heroes. They got the closest with Luke Cage, but even he could be stronger.

Yeah, I'd love that as well but I don't know if it fits with their image of the current defenders. If you look up Iron Fist's official/canon levels of powers, he's absolutely insane. He's better at hand to hand than Captain America--stronger, faster, more agile, smarter...everything. That's not even counting his power fist ability which the show made cringey to witness.

It'd be awesome to witness Iron Fist as he should be. A superhero version of Jet Li with Legions of Hand ninjas pouring in and Danny just wrecking shop.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject:

I'll just leave this here:

This 35-second Iron Fist fight scene with 56 cuts shows how not to put an action sequence together

(My God, that is just mind numbingly awful editing. My eyes still hurt)
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: