Will Any of the L.A. Lakers Young Players Emerge as a Star?

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 15 Apr 2001
Posts: 24751

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Will Any of the L.A. Lakers Young Players Emerge as a Star?

Hey all,

Here's my latest at Bleacher Report with an assist from @LakerFilmRoom aka GoldenThroat:

Will Any of the L.A. Lakers Young Players Emerge as a Star?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2697149-will-any-of-the-la-lakers-young-players-emerge-as-a-star

Cheers,

Eric
_________________
LA Lakers Lead Writer at Bleacher Report & NBA Senior Writer at www.basketballinsiders.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 83072

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

GT being dropped into this article!

Good source to use Eric!
_________________
#PG2018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VanCity
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 1031

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

Nice article!

Solid comparative stats for DLO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 11939
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

They will, but we will have to wait 3-5 years for it to happen, so in other words we will likely trade them as the losing will make the FO lose patience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 553

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Comparing DLO's statistics to a population comprised entirely of elite point guards creates the illusion that he belongs in that group. Add in a couple of more pedestrian point guards like Schroder, Nelson, Collison, Lawson, Jennings, and Holiday in their 2nd seasons at 36 minutes, DLO looks more average than elite when compared to a broader sample of his peers.

Code:

Player   FG%     2P   2PA   2P%    3P   3PA  3P%    FT   FTA  FT%    PTS   TRB  AST  OWS  DWS  WS    WS/48  OBPM  DBPM   BPM   VORP
Russell   40.4%  4.4  10.0  44.4%  2.7  7.8  35.4%  2.8  3.6  77.4%  19.9  4.8  6.3  0.3  0.8  1.1   0.040   1.4  -1.4   0.0   0.7
Schroder  42.7%  5.5  12.3  44.9%  1.2  3.5  35.1%  3.5  4.3  82.7%  18.2  3.9  7.5  1.1  1.4  2.5   0.080  -0.4  -2.1  -2.4  -0.2
Wall      42.3%  5.7  12.9  44.0%  0.0  0.6   7.1%  4.8  6.1  78.9%  16.2  4.5  8.0  1.7  1.9  3.5   0.071   0.5   0.1   0.6   1.6
Jennings  39.0%  4.4  10.3  42.2%  1.6  5.0  32.3%  3.3  4.1  80.9%  16.9  3.9  5.1  0.6  3.3  3.9   0.086   1.1   0.7   1.8   2.1
Collison  45.7%  5.4  11.4  47.9%  0.6  1.9  33.1%  3.1  3.5  87.1%  15.8  3.4  6.1  2.1  2.2  4.3   0.087   0.2  -0.9  -0.7   0.8
Nelson    48.3%  5.6  11.2  50.0%  1.4  3.3  42.4%  2.8  3.7  77.9%  18.3  3.6  6.1  3.5  1.4  4.9   0.132   3.6  -1.4   2.2   1.9
Irving    45.2%  6.6  13.9  47.4%  1.9  4.9  39.1%  4.4  5.1  85.5%  23.3  3.8  6.2  4.2  1.1  5.3   0.125   4.9  -1.6   3.3   2.8
Holiday   44.6%  4.5   9.6  47.0%  1.0  2.8  36.5%  2.1  2.6  82.3%  14.2  4.1  6.6  2.2  3.5  5.7   0.094   0.8   0.6   1.4   2.5
Westbrook 41.8%  5.9  13.5  43.8%  0.3  1.3  22.1%  4.2  5.4  78.0%  16.9  5.1  8.3  2.7  3.4  6.1   0.105   1.4   0.6   2.1   2.9
Lawson    50.3%  4.7   8.9  53.6%  1.2  2.9  40.4%  2.9  3.9  76.4%  16.0  3.6  6.5  5.1  1.6  6.7   0.153   3.1  -1.2   1.9   2.1
Harden    43.6%  3.0   5.9  51.4%  1.9  5.3  34.9%  4.8  5.6  84.3%  16.4  4.2  2.9  5.0  2.1  7.1   0.156   2.9  -0.6   2.3   2.4
Lillard   42.4%  4.1   9.2  44.7%  2.7  6.8  39.4%  4.5  5.2  87.1%  20.8  3.5  5.6  7.8  1.8  9.6   0.157   4.4  -1.7   2.7   3.5


I'm not saying DLO will never be a great player. John Wall's 2nd year compared to the player he is now is the result of Wall's hard work determination to fix his game.

At this point in time, I'm a lot higher on Clarkson, followed by Randle and Ingram. I need to see DLO do something more than shoot volume 3's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Al13
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 1692
Location: Berlin, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

no one shows anything on D besides Ingram..so no they won't
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
razor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 01 Oct 2014
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

No. "Stars" hit the ground running, you can tell right away. What did you think the first time you saw Kobe, or John Wall, or Anthony Davis ect? Jimmy Butler is a good example of a player who got better each year, and elevated his play to star level......but it doesn't happen too often, a rock is a rock.
1. DLO...asking if Russel is going to be a star, is like asking if he is going to become quick and more athletic. His numbers look great, but I just don't dig his game.
2. Randall. A couple of monsterous games does not a player maketh. Jekyl and Hyde, and on defense he hides lol. Nice numbers, but just a B+ player, I don't think his head is right, his price tag isn't going to be right, and just too screwy and indecisive near the hoop....but he could improve I guess.
3. Ingram. Horrible numbers! Horrible shooting! And he might just become a star! The kid is long, good BBIQ, good D, and unlike DLO, makes passes that make sense. We can already see Magic has lit a fire in him, so hopefully he can get there.
4. Clarksen. For today's money, he is a star! I've always liked his game, but his turnovers this season have worn me out. But he is a master at getting to the rim, being athletic, forcing the issue, and did make the effort to shoot threes better....hopefully he puts some arc on that shot this summer, and returns even better.
5. Zubac. A seven footer who plays low block? Shoots outside plus floaters? Blocks 4 shots quite often? Nice stroke at the FT line? Who does this guy think he is? Possible Gasol star type career.....

Parting shot. Have no idea how to fix the Lakers, but my gut tells me giving PG 40 mil is not going to work. Building/tanking through a mediocre draft will just yield a college team like we have now, we need vets and rentals and Euro players, I can only point to what Boston is doing, its perfect.
_________________
what sound does it make when you hit the front of the rim?............."Deng!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GoldenThroat
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 34823

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:
Comparing DLO's statistics to a population comprised entirely of elite point guards creates the illusion that he belongs in that group. Add in a couple of more pedestrian point guards like Schroder, Nelson, Collison, Lawson, Jennings, and Holiday in their 2nd seasons at 36 minutes, DLO looks more average than elite when compared to a broader sample of his peers.

Code:

Player   FG%     2P   2PA   2P%    3P   3PA  3P%    FT   FTA  FT%    PTS   TRB  AST  OWS  DWS  WS    WS/48  OBPM  DBPM   BPM   VORP
Russell   40.4%  4.4  10.0  44.4%  2.7  7.8  35.4%  2.8  3.6  77.4%  19.9  4.8  6.3  0.3  0.8  1.1   0.040   1.4  -1.4   0.0   0.7
Schroder  42.7%  5.5  12.3  44.9%  1.2  3.5  35.1%  3.5  4.3  82.7%  18.2  3.9  7.5  1.1  1.4  2.5   0.080  -0.4  -2.1  -2.4  -0.2
Wall      42.3%  5.7  12.9  44.0%  0.0  0.6   7.1%  4.8  6.1  78.9%  16.2  4.5  8.0  1.7  1.9  3.5   0.071   0.5   0.1   0.6   1.6
Jennings  39.0%  4.4  10.3  42.2%  1.6  5.0  32.3%  3.3  4.1  80.9%  16.9  3.9  5.1  0.6  3.3  3.9   0.086   1.1   0.7   1.8   2.1
Collison  45.7%  5.4  11.4  47.9%  0.6  1.9  33.1%  3.1  3.5  87.1%  15.8  3.4  6.1  2.1  2.2  4.3   0.087   0.2  -0.9  -0.7   0.8
Nelson    48.3%  5.6  11.2  50.0%  1.4  3.3  42.4%  2.8  3.7  77.9%  18.3  3.6  6.1  3.5  1.4  4.9   0.132   3.6  -1.4   2.2   1.9
Irving    45.2%  6.6  13.9  47.4%  1.9  4.9  39.1%  4.4  5.1  85.5%  23.3  3.8  6.2  4.2  1.1  5.3   0.125   4.9  -1.6   3.3   2.8
Holiday   44.6%  4.5   9.6  47.0%  1.0  2.8  36.5%  2.1  2.6  82.3%  14.2  4.1  6.6  2.2  3.5  5.7   0.094   0.8   0.6   1.4   2.5
Westbrook 41.8%  5.9  13.5  43.8%  0.3  1.3  22.1%  4.2  5.4  78.0%  16.9  5.1  8.3  2.7  3.4  6.1   0.105   1.4   0.6   2.1   2.9
Lawson    50.3%  4.7   8.9  53.6%  1.2  2.9  40.4%  2.9  3.9  76.4%  16.0  3.6  6.5  5.1  1.6  6.7   0.153   3.1  -1.2   1.9   2.1
Harden    43.6%  3.0   5.9  51.4%  1.9  5.3  34.9%  4.8  5.6  84.3%  16.4  4.2  2.9  5.0  2.1  7.1   0.156   2.9  -0.6   2.3   2.4
Lillard   42.4%  4.1   9.2  44.7%  2.7  6.8  39.4%  4.5  5.2  87.1%  20.8  3.5  5.6  7.8  1.8  9.6   0.157   4.4  -1.7   2.7   3.5


I'm not saying DLO will never be a great player. John Wall's 2nd year compared to the player he is now is the result of Wall's hard work determination to fix his game.

At this point in time, I'm a lot higher on Clarkson, followed by Randle and Ingram. I need to see DLO do something more than shoot volume 3's.



Nelson, Collison & Lawson = Age 23 season vs. Age 20 season.

Schroder = Didn't even average 20mpg, so per-36ing him is quite an upward adjustment, and he's significantly behind Russell (-2.4) on BPM.

Jennings = Russell outpaces Jennings in every category, including efficiency.

Holiday = The only good comp here. But on the other end, a guy like Mike Conley isn't included either. B-ball reference allows for 6 players to be compared in total, and Russell stacked up against some of the best at comparable ages, with Lillard tossed in there as the most recent "elite" guard that's been drafted, despite the age difference.

And having Russell 4th amongst our prospects behind Clarkson, Randle, & Ingram (in that order!) is crazy.
_________________
http://forumblueandgold.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Feb 2017
Posts: 4996

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"I'm not a fan of Russell's body language. He's talented but he needs to step into a leadership role," said a front office executive, also with an Eastern Conference franchise.


I agree with this but i hope this will improve as he matures.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
september7th
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: 09 Jul 2015
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject:

ZUBAC!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 4841

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
misterioso wrote:
Comparing DLO's statistics to a population comprised entirely of elite point guards creates the illusion that he belongs in that group. Add in a couple of more pedestrian point guards like Schroder, Nelson, Collison, Lawson, Jennings, and Holiday in their 2nd seasons at 36 minutes, DLO looks more average than elite when compared to a broader sample of his peers.

Code:

Player   FG%     2P   2PA   2P%    3P   3PA  3P%    FT   FTA  FT%    PTS   TRB  AST  OWS  DWS  WS    WS/48  OBPM  DBPM   BPM   VORP
Russell   40.4%  4.4  10.0  44.4%  2.7  7.8  35.4%  2.8  3.6  77.4%  19.9  4.8  6.3  0.3  0.8  1.1   0.040   1.4  -1.4   0.0   0.7
Schroder  42.7%  5.5  12.3  44.9%  1.2  3.5  35.1%  3.5  4.3  82.7%  18.2  3.9  7.5  1.1  1.4  2.5   0.080  -0.4  -2.1  -2.4  -0.2
Wall      42.3%  5.7  12.9  44.0%  0.0  0.6   7.1%  4.8  6.1  78.9%  16.2  4.5  8.0  1.7  1.9  3.5   0.071   0.5   0.1   0.6   1.6
Jennings  39.0%  4.4  10.3  42.2%  1.6  5.0  32.3%  3.3  4.1  80.9%  16.9  3.9  5.1  0.6  3.3  3.9   0.086   1.1   0.7   1.8   2.1
Collison  45.7%  5.4  11.4  47.9%  0.6  1.9  33.1%  3.1  3.5  87.1%  15.8  3.4  6.1  2.1  2.2  4.3   0.087   0.2  -0.9  -0.7   0.8
Nelson    48.3%  5.6  11.2  50.0%  1.4  3.3  42.4%  2.8  3.7  77.9%  18.3  3.6  6.1  3.5  1.4  4.9   0.132   3.6  -1.4   2.2   1.9
Irving    45.2%  6.6  13.9  47.4%  1.9  4.9  39.1%  4.4  5.1  85.5%  23.3  3.8  6.2  4.2  1.1  5.3   0.125   4.9  -1.6   3.3   2.8
Holiday   44.6%  4.5   9.6  47.0%  1.0  2.8  36.5%  2.1  2.6  82.3%  14.2  4.1  6.6  2.2  3.5  5.7   0.094   0.8   0.6   1.4   2.5
Westbrook 41.8%  5.9  13.5  43.8%  0.3  1.3  22.1%  4.2  5.4  78.0%  16.9  5.1  8.3  2.7  3.4  6.1   0.105   1.4   0.6   2.1   2.9
Lawson    50.3%  4.7   8.9  53.6%  1.2  2.9  40.4%  2.9  3.9  76.4%  16.0  3.6  6.5  5.1  1.6  6.7   0.153   3.1  -1.2   1.9   2.1
Harden    43.6%  3.0   5.9  51.4%  1.9  5.3  34.9%  4.8  5.6  84.3%  16.4  4.2  2.9  5.0  2.1  7.1   0.156   2.9  -0.6   2.3   2.4
Lillard   42.4%  4.1   9.2  44.7%  2.7  6.8  39.4%  4.5  5.2  87.1%  20.8  3.5  5.6  7.8  1.8  9.6   0.157   4.4  -1.7   2.7   3.5
I'm not saying DLO will never be a great player. John Wall's 2nd year compared to the player he is now is the result of Wall's hard work determination to fix his game.

At this point in time, I'm a lot higher on Clarkson, followed by Randle and Ingram. I need to see DLO do something more than shoot volume 3's.
Nelson, Collison & Lawson = Age 23 season vs. Age 20 season.

Schroder = Didn't even average 20mpg, so per-36ing him is quite an upward adjustment, and he's significantly behind Russell (-2.4) on BPM.

Jennings = Russell outpaces Jennings in every category, including efficiency.

Holiday = The only good comp here. But on the other end, a guy like Mike Conley isn't included either. B-ball reference allows for 6 players to be compared in total, and Russell stacked up against some of the best at comparable ages, with Lillard tossed in there as the most recent "elite" guard that's been drafted, despite the age difference.

And having Russell 4th amongst our prospects behind Clarkson, Randle, & Ingram (in that order!) is crazy.
DLO has more of a chance to be a star (not a superstar) than Randle or JC because of the position he is playing and where he was drafted.

It has been stated and seen that superstars are seen early in a player's career - or at least the potential (as noted from players such as The Black Mamba to many other examples). DLO and Randle has shown very brief glimpses on offense, but none on defense. The important question is what salary will Randle be asking when his next contract is up since his agent will be asking for $30M a year in a $150M contract (which is a Rashard Lewis numbers and results)

Stat-wise, Ingram deserves the rating received. If Luke's words are accurate that BI is usually on the winning teams in scrimmages, it means that he does things to make his teams win which is important.

As Zack Lowe states, DLO and JC (along with Randle) are disastrous on defense. Since Luke wants to win the Spurs/Warriors way, instead of MDA's Rockets way, getting players that play D probably will a top priority of Magic and Rob
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2001
Posts: 6985
Location: Eagle Rock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

Eric,

Any scuttlebutt on the DLO benching?
_________________
R.I.P. Doc Buss

"I think we often overlook the best way for a team like these Lakers to obtain star level players is to turn their current players into stars, rather than looking for outside help."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 25060

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject:

In these situations, fans will generally look for comparable players who became stars and ignore the comparable players who didn't become stars.

At this point, I see no reason to think any of them will become stars. Heck, Russell could become a 20 ppg. player without becoming a star simply because even a crappy team scores 100 points, and somebody needs to score them.

I am not writing off any of the young players for stardom nor am I penciling any of them in for stardom. I think any prognostications that they're destine for stardom is (1) fan optimism and (2) fan desperation because we need some stars.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 11939
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Eric,

Any scuttlebutt on the DLO benching?


I'm curious to find out as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2003
Posts: 4662
Location: Central Coast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Best chance to be a star (or even a solid NBA level starter or very good bench player)

Zubac
DLO

The surest things of the bunch: Zubac I think will develop organically with just more time and conditioning, DLO will really be helped if we get a great PG in the draft, and DLO slides over to a combo guard role, sort of like Klay Thompson.

Clarkson

The next closest to a sure thing is JC. Might be a 6th man, but everybody needs a good 6th man.

Randle
Ingram
Nance

Good guys, probably will be good in time, but maybe not necessarily with the Lakers. If they could all buy a jump-shot in the offseason, it would be money well spent.
_________________
If you don't like the Lakers in re-build mode, I suggest you take your whiny skinny butt to the Clippers bandwagon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 46598
Location: Coming soon and striking at your borders.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

whoops
_________________
LAVAR 3:16...

Hypebeasts we know aboutchea'
Don't rep the Lakers unless they popular...


Last edited by City_Dawg on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 11526

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Eric,

Any scuttlebutt on the DLO benching?
Seconded.
_________________
https://j.gifs.com/Rnqnbk.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 11939
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Articles like these, and you wonder why Luke keeps changing rotations.

Nance with 8 minutes
TB barely gets PT
Russell on the bench
Clarkson playing PG...

Are we really trying to develop our youth?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Jan 2002
Posts: 6284
Location: Lake Forest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Will Any of the L.A. Lakers Young Players Emerge as a Star?


Best chance to be a star for the Lakers?
Ingram

Best chance to be a star overall?
Dlo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 8378
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject:

Did you see how DLO did one of those in-bounds where he does not touch the ball, in order to gain 3 seconds of bringing up court and then KICKED it out of bounds..

That one insignificant play pretty much summed-up the entire Lakers season this year!
_________________
BRING ON THE DANCING HORSES...!


Last edited by unleasHell on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 13843

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Only Ingram has that potential just because of his length and work ethic. Zubac can develop into a solid starting center. Randle looks to me like a solid player off the bench for a championship team, unless the team around him has the right complementary pieces to cover his defensive shortcomings when he faces taller 4s. Clarkson can be a solid guard. I just don't see the superstar talent in Russell, which as the number 2 pick you hope to see. His body language isn't the greatest nor does he seem to have that will to win. I hope that image is because he's still trying to figure out his game, but unless there's a quantum leap in improvement next season, he may look like someone that'll be continually trade bait. I'd hate the Lakers to give up on a potential star player too early. Add Nance and the Lakers have 6 players that look to be solid NBA players. I guess that's a good start, but they need someone to really become an elite player.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2001
Posts: 2500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Only Ingram has that potential just because of his length and work ethic. Zubac can develop into a solid starting center. Randle looks to me like a solid player off the bench for a championship team, unless the team around him has the right complementary pieces to cover his defensive shortcomings when he faces taller 4s. Clarkson can be a solid guard. I just don't see the superstar talent in Russell, which as the number 2 pick you hope to see. His body language isn't the greatest nor does he seem to have that will to win. I hope that image is because he's still trying to figure out his game, but unless there's a quantum leap in improvement next season, he may look like someone that'll be continually trade bait. I'd hate the Lakers to give up on a potential star player too early. Add Nance and the Lakers have 6 players that look to be solid NBA players. I guess that's a good start, but they need someone to really become an elite player.

If it was just a bit more positive on Russell, I would completely agree with this.
_________________
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. --Mark Twain

Regrettably, one of the surest signs of the Philistine is his reverence for the superior tastes of those who put him down. --Pauline Kael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Feb 2002
Posts: 2402
Location: Newport Coast

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject:

Unless you are gifted with a tremendous physical advantage like Shaq or Lebron, the difference is grit. It is an almost obsessive work ethic and perseverance that goes beyond what other players are willing to do. That work ethic also requires purposeful practice that is different than the way most players approach the game. There is an interesting, if not completely obvious book on this topic by Angela Lee Duckworth titled Grit. You can watch her Ted Talk here:

https://www.ted.com/talks/angela_lee_duckworth_grit_the_power_of_passion_and_perseverance

This makes me immediately think of Kobe who is the very definition of grit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
giordan0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 215

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject:

They'll emerge as a star in other teams after Magic has traded the youth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB