How long does management/fans wait if this were the case?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: How long does management/fans wait if this were the case?

Let's say we get the second pick in draft in either PG- Fultz or PG- Ball & the Lakers decide to play Dlo st SG, so we basically have this as a possible line up for 2018-19, etc. of

C- Zubac
PF- Randle
SF- Ingram
PG- Fultz or Ball
SG- Russell

Question is how long would the Lakers wait & give this line up a chance to grow & make playoffs? One, two, three or four years?

Same line up & question to you fans, how long would you be patient with this line up providing they improve each year & get more wins & make playoffs?

I would have to see what they all can do together for at least 2-3 years to see them gel, an example of first year 35 & 47, second year 43 & 39 (first rd playoffs), third year 48 & 34 (second round of playoffs). would management or fans be happen with this, excluding a big free agent signing?

PS: Looks like DLO is more happy at the SG spot after last nights showing.
HC: Riley
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

I don't see them going with an all young line up and giving them years to figure things out. With that starting lineup, we'd be lucky to win 32-33 games.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't see them going with an all young line up and giving them years to figure things out. With that starting lineup, we'd be lucky to win 32-33 games.

Well Pelinka did say that there main focus is player development when he was answering questions from the fans, so I'm assuming that's a smokescreen?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

But you also hope for the flip of the switch effect. I remember the late 80's distinctively where it happened to several ball clubs, mostly in the West. Suns, Blazers, Spurs, Jazz always stick out in my mind. Because Showtime was pretty much in cruise control, and then all of a sudden these teams seemingly came out of nowhere. The Jazz didn't blindside you because they were always a 40+ team, but then after the 88' 7 game series, you knew they were coming too. Now that I think of it, this period was probably the beginning of West domination.

88 Suns = 28 wins
89 Suns = 55 wins Kevin Johnson exploded

89 Blazers = 39 wins
90 Blazers = 59 wins They were close and with Buck Williams, they finally arrived as a group.

89 Spurs = 21 wins
90 Spurs = 56 wins David Robinson arrival

So I will always have hope that it's not written in stone our team will take years and years to develop. If Russell takes his game to the next level and Lonzo or Fultz is the real deal, all of a sudden they could be in the conversation again.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

From what I've seen, Pelinka knows that the only way back to respectability anytime soon is by signing a big time free agent or swinging a trade.

He was on Spectrum Sports last night (taped interview) and told Chris McGee (paraphrasing), "We like all of our young talent, but we're 29th in the league." So that seems to speak volumes about where his head is at.

When you're "Building thru the draft" you're in NBA Hell. Pelinka clearly knows that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

But you also hope for the flip of the switch effect. I remember the late 80's distinctively where it happened to several ball clubs, mostly in the West. Suns, Blazers, Spurs, Jazz always stick out in my mind. Because Showtime was pretty much in cruise control, and then all of a sudden these teams seemingly came out of nowhere. The Jazz didn't blindside you because they were always a 40+ team, but then after the 88' 7 game series, you knew they were coming too. Now that I think of it, this period was probably the beginning of West domination.

88 Suns = 28 wins

89 Blazers = 39 wins
90 Blazers = 59 wins They were close and with Buck Williams, they finally arrived as a group.

89 Spurs = 21 wins

So I will always have hope that it's not written in stone our team will take years and years to develop. If Russell takes his game to the next level and Lonzo or Fultz is the real deal, all of a sudden they could be in the conversation again.

IIRC KJ was what, 21-22 when drafted? (4 year starter so maybe older).

Robinson was 24-25 when he started too after his stint with the Navy. Some older impact rookies.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

88 Suns = 28 wins

89 Blazers = 39 wins

89 Spurs = 21 wins

Robinson was 24-25 when he started too after his stint with the Navy. Some older impact rookies.

Definitely true. So I do agree it would be harder nowadays to have that type of turnaround because we only take top freshmen. So you're hoping for that Lebron James hit the floor running type. Towns pretty much hit the floor running too. So it could happen, but Towns was surrounded by other kids. So yeah, I don't disagree, it's tough.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

88 Suns = 28 wins

89 Blazers = 39 wins

89 Spurs = 21 wins

Definitely true. So I do agree it would be harder nowadays to have that type of turnaround because we only take top freshmen. So you're hoping for that Lebron James hit the floor running type. Towns pretty much hit the floor running too. So it could happen, but Towns was surrounded by other kids. So yeah, I don't disagree, it's tough.

Right, but even with Towns, they are what, a 33-34 win team? It's just tough b/c these kids don't get 3-4 years of solid BBALL tutelage in the NCAAs when they become "rookies." Fans seem to heap way too much expectations on these kids and compare them with either all-time greats or comparable players who had several years in college.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

88 Suns = 28 wins

89 Blazers = 39 wins

89 Spurs = 21 wins

Generally, players don't come into the league as men.... they're coming in as 19 year old kids off of one and done seasons in college. Much harder for a 19 year old to come in and lead his team anywhere than a 4 year senior like in the past.

Hence why teams in the lotto have the potential to be such future juggernauts (and why tanking is understandable)-- while they wait for their young stud to develop, they're adding 4 more. It's only going to create a future of less parity-- the haves and have not's-- but that's a different story.

A roster as proposed above would certainly be much better due to (anticipated) growth of our current youth + one more top tier prospect but at best 35 wins. Personally, I'd say that' pretty respectable given how bright the future would be and the potential to go into next summer and add PG13 but like Yinoma said, I don't see Pelinka or Magic wanting to only keep adding young players and develop them. I guarantee they want to see a playoff team next year.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Can't be a legitimate contender without a top 5 player.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
I guarantee they want to see a playoff team next year.

They aren't going to see a playoff team next year, so it would be silly of them to want that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:
2019 wrote:

They aren't going to see a playoff team next year, so it would be silly of them to want that.

What is silly about a new management team that ousted the other one, in part b/c of their lack of playoffs in the past 4 years, wanting to make the playoffs?
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
richmorgan12 wrote:
2019 wrote:

What is silly about a new management team that ousted the other one, in part b/c of their lack of playoffs in the past 4 years, wanting to make the playoffs?

Because they CANNOT make the playoffs next year. It's that simple.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
richmorgan12 wrote:
2019 wrote:

Oh is it that simple?

I have no doubt that barring extreme circumstances, the Lakers will be aiming to get into the playoffs. We may not get there, but to argue that that won't be the goal is not very persuasive.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
richmorgan12 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
richmorgan12 wrote:
2019 wrote:

Oh is it that simple?

I have no doubt that barring extreme circumstances, the Lakers will be aiming to get into the playoffs. We may not get there, but to argue that that won't be the goal is not very persuasive.

Expectations will depend on what we do with the draft/FA/trades, if we bring back the same roster and still look for the youth to grow, then richmorgan is right.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to say 1... maybe 2 of those players will not be Lakers next season... no evidence, but just a hunch...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I'm going to say 1... maybe 2 of those players will not be Lakers next season... no evidence, but just a hunch...

From the young core?
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject:

PG- D'angelo Russell
SG- Josh Jackson
SF - Brandon Ingram
PF - Larry Nance Jr.
C - Ivica Zuabac

That SHOULD be the Lakers starting lineup next season.

You have everything in that lineup.

Playmaking, 3 point shooting, rebounding, perimeter defense, shotblocking, slashing, length, athleticism, low post scoring, mid range shooting, passing, speed, versatility.

Potential dynasty with some seasoning.

Use Clarkson, Randle & the Rockets pick to possibly get an upgrade at PF or Center.

Last edited by RashardA on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I remember lots of fans on LG at the beginning of this season preaching how we all needed to be patient. Present day, during each game this guys sucks the other one sucks, we'll suck for life.

I could see our front office wanting to develop players, we the fan base will call them out day after day after day...

So would the FO go with that lineup? Probably not, we are a spoiled group,
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:
2019 wrote:

My expectations win about 30-40 games with signs of team improvement after all-star break. Playoffs? If they were in the East
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Magic and Pelinka are not the type of guys to build slowly with mostly the old regime's assets. Nothing about them or how and when they took over should lead you to believe they are.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
richmorgan12 wrote:
2019 wrote:

My expectations win about 30-40 games with signs of team improvement after all-star break. Playoffs? If they were in the East

And that's why I wouldn't trade Ingram/Russell/top 3 pick for George or butler. Maybe they win 40 games with pg13 or jimmy but why do that when you can win 35+ with what you have in top 3/Ingram/Russell and be trending bright, bright future with those 3 assets ready to add in 2018 FA.

Getting 2-5 more wins for next season and be hovering around 8-10 seed makes no sense imo.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

I expect no patience at all from the Magic and Co or the fans.

As much as I personally would be fine with keeping the pick and let the young team build chemistry I have no confidence they will. I am expecting a "blg move" to market and hold press conferences about.

My only concern is how steep a price will they be willing to pay for an All-star and possibly an aging sidekick this summer.

Playoffs next year are not as unlikely as some are predicting IMO. Nuggets and Blazers will likely make the playoffs and may not break 40 wins.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

As much as I personally would be fine with keeping the pick and let the young team build chemistry I have no confidence they will. I am expecting a "blg move" to market and hold press conferences about.

My only concern is how steep a price will they be willing to pay for an All-star and possibly an aging sidekick this summer.

Playoffs next year are not as unlikely as some are predicting IMO. Nuggets and Blazers will likely make the playoffs and may not break 40 wins.

That will basically repeat the mistakes of the past because we still not ot barely getting into the playoffs. Remember Nash and Howard.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

That will basically repeat the mistakes of the past because we still not ot barely getting into the playoffs. Remember Nash and Howard.

At least Nash and Howard aligned with the timeline of Kobe aging. A win now move wouldn't even have that consistency.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: