OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2128, 2129, 2130 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Mdstgreen wrote:
lakersfan22 wrote:
3'Angelo wrote:
On Sportsnation, Byron was just asked if D'Angelo is part of the Lakers' future plans and replied with a flat "no"

Why do they even ask him about D'angelo anymore?

EDIT: He was asked if D'Angelo is the future of the Lakers. I understand why he would say no if that is how the question was phrased.
lol what if he knows something that we don't. Like Magic is for sure going to trade him or something

Byron is best buddies with Magic, works out with him every morning. Of course he knows what Magic is thinking. I'd like to hear exactly what Byron said.

I'm scared (bleep) less that they are gonna do something stupid with D'Angelo in the offseason.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Magic talking patience is his version of Mitch talking contention during the rebuild. It's the stuff you say, but what you do and how you do it very quickly becomes a better tell about you. Magic didn't jump in right at the deadline like he did because he's anxious to patiently wait out the development of the youth over the next few years. He didn't make a publicized, "we're moving Lou today, on day 1" edict to let everyone know he's going to move deliberately and carefully either.

This is a guy who intends to put his stamp on things very quickly and very clearly, and if you think that's just draft a guy and wait, I think you will not be happy. He's going to look to make substantial moves. I'm going to give him and Pelinka the benefit of seeing what their strategy re moves and who and how much they will pay, but I'm pretty dead certain they've got a splash in mind this offseason.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Mdstgreen wrote:
lakersfan22 wrote:
3'Angelo wrote:
On Sportsnation, Byron was just asked if D'Angelo is part of the Lakers' future plans and replied with a flat "no"

EDIT: He was asked if D'Angelo is the future of the Lakers. I understand why he would say no if that is how the question was phrased.
lol what if he knows something that we don't. Like Magic is for sure going to trade him or something

Byron is best buddies with Magic, works out with him every morning. Of course he knows what Magic is thinking. I'd like to hear exactly what Byron said.

I'm scared (bleep) less that they are gonna do something stupid with D'Angelo in the offseason.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Magic talking patience is his version of Mitch talking contention during the rebuild. It's the stuff you say, but what you do and how you do it very quickly becomes a better tell about you. Magic didn't jump in right at the deadline like he did because he's anxious to patiently wait out the development of the youth over the next few years. He didn't make a publicized, "we're moving Lou today, on day 1" edict to let everyone know he's going to move deliberately and carefully either.

This is a guy who intends to put his stamp on things very quickly and very clearly, and if you think that's just draft a guy and wait, I think you will not be happy. He's going to look to make substantial moves. I'm going to give him and Pelinka the benefit of seeing what their strategy re moves and who and how much they will pay, but I'm pretty dead certain they've got a splash in mind this offseason.

Agreed. For better or worse (hopefully for better).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
He didn't incorrectly use anything. He put the numbers in the context to carry his point a view. I use analytics and stats as well, I don't all the time because they don't tell the whole story and I can skew them as I see fits to my point. I mean was Derek Fisher not our point guard? Is Kyrie Irving not the point guard for the Cavs. DLO was playmaking as a shooting guard. Statistics show, last time I checked DLO's better off the ball. That's half the truth in my opinion. There's things you can't record on stats like ones mental approach to the game. He came in looking to score, while getting his team involved. He was much more aggressive this game, the whole game - where as DLO told us the reason why when talking about the difference between shooting guard and point guard. He seemed more comfortable and confident as a shooting guard than a point guard.

Can you be playing PG and playing off of the ball?

Does off ball mean you're never on ball?

Exactly. It's a largely semantical argument. Russell was getting shots off of the same type of actions last night that he's been getting all year. The difference is that the guy on the other side of the court also had ball skills, rather than just being a spot up shooter like Nick Young.

BTW, the statistics (ironic in this context) that show him to be "better" "off ball" are simply the statistics that show him to be a higher percentage catch and shoot guy vs off the dribble. Of course, what's lost in that is that almost every player in the league is better catching and shooting than they are pulling up off the dribble, because one is an easier shot than the other.
Mdstgreen
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Mdstgreen wrote:
lakersfan22 wrote:
3'Angelo wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me.

These type of moves are hard to pull off for veteran GMs, let alone newcomers. If it was so easy to just move around assets and propel yourself into contention, why didn't other rebuilding teams like the Jazz, Nuggets, Twolves etc. take that route?

This is my biggest worry.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Mdstgreen wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Mdstgreen wrote:
lakersfan22 wrote:
3'Angelo wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me.

These type of moves are hard to pull off for veteran GMs, let alone newcomers. If it was so easy to just move around assets and propel yourself into contention, why didn't other rebuilding teams like the Jazz, Nuggets, Twolves etc. take that route?

This is my biggest worry.

Well, this is exactly my concern with guys like Magic (along with a propensity for seeing the game through the lens of their own career and time).
Golden_Emperor_24K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

i hope Dlo don't go back to shooting poorly and TOing alot against the Clippers. Keep up with the good play. I want him to burn the Blazers though when we play them. Lilliard needs to be put into his place cuz of the confrontation he had with Dlo last time they went off against eachother. I don't want him to force bad shots. But just play aggressive and shoot a high % and take care of the bball.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Golden_Emperor_24K wrote:
i hope Dlo don't go back to shooting poorly and TOing alot against the Clippers. Keep up with the good play. I want him to burn the Blazers though when we play them. Lilliard needs to be put into his place cuz of the confrontation he had with Dlo last time they went off against eachother. I don't want him to force bad shots. But just play aggressive and shoot a high % and take care of the bball.

Not defending Lillard because I don't care what DLO says or does to him, but the man was catching elbows from DLO. Was he supposed to just accept it?

But as a Lakers fan, elbow him all you want DLO. If the refs aren't going to call it, what do I care?
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
3'Angelo wrote:

I don't think there is anything to worry about. I believe that the question was "Is D'Angelo the future of the Lakers" as in is he the superstar to carry them forward and Byron replied to that with a flat "no". I did not watch this segment myself, I just had a friend tell me this over text so this may be not be so accurate.

If that's the question, then I'd say no as well. And I'm pretty high on Russell. Nothing to see here.

I've always thought of D'lo as a guy you put next to "The Guy". Pau Gasol is a prime example.

!...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
tox wrote:
3'Angelo wrote:

I don't think there is anything to worry about. I believe that the question was "Is D'Angelo the future of the Lakers" as in is he the superstar to carry them forward and Byron replied to that with a flat "no". I did not watch this segment myself, I just had a friend tell me this over text so this may be not be so accurate.

If that's the question, then I'd say no as well. And I'm pretty high on Russell. Nothing to see here.

I've always thought of D'lo as a guy you put next to "The Guy". Pau Gasol is a prime example.

Yup. Scottie Pippen archetype.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

I think that DLo has Kyrie potential and I don't necessarily view Kyrie as "The Guy" either, and that's perfectly fine.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Ask and you shall receive! Pretty sure I was the first view on this guy's YouTube post 3 minutes ago. Anyways, not to bury the lead, but here is the latest on Byron Scott talking about D'Angelo Russell's role as a shooting guard and his future as a Laker. Curtesy if SportsNation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPanoLOud1Q&sns=em
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject:

[quote="The Logo"]I think that DLo has Kyrie potential and I don't necessarily view Kyrie as "The Guy" either, and that's perfectly fine.[quote]

Yes, I can see that. FWIW I see Ingram as more of a #3 guy...pieces falling nicely in place.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Ask and you shall receive! Pretty sure I was the first view on this guy's YouTube post 3 minutes ago. Anyways, not to bury the lead, but here is the latest on Byron Scott talking about D'Angelo Russell's role as a shooting guard and his future as a Laker. Curtesy if SportsNation.

Byron had me up until the end there
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Byron had me up until the end there

Byron can't help himself. Too much pride to admit he was wrong.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

I think DLo's ceiling is as a #1 option, but he's going to need to take a leap into elite shooting (45+/40+/85+) territory to get there.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
tox wrote:
3'Angelo wrote:

Absolutely.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I think DLo's ceiling is as a #1 option, but he's going to need to take a leap into elite shooting (45+/40+/85+) territory to get there.

Yup. Some players (especially on our team) do not have #1 option ceilings.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
tox wrote:
3'Angelo wrote:

That's about where I have him as well.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I also agree with this, if "ceiling" means just about everything breaking the right way, which it rarely does.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I also agree with this, if "ceiling" means just about everything breaking the right way, which it rarely does.

Yes, everything breaking right for DLO means he'd be a taller Steph Curry with James Harden's ability to get to the rim. So yes, 1st option ceiling.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

As a starter, since the All-Star Break

9 games
33.9 minutes

22.7 points
5.6 assists
3.1 rebounds
2.0 steals
57.9 TS%
lakersfan22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Dlo's peak is a prime Manu and a prime Manu was amazing.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
As a starter, since the All-Star Break

9 games
33.9 minutes

22.7 points
5.6 assists
3.1 rebounds
2.0 steals
57.9 TS%

Very good numbers and those even include the games where he came off the bench and played like (bleep).
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Russell generally can respond well to being benched, with exception for the first game benched by Luke.

Under Byron, Russell did well coming off the bench, but Randle was terrible off the bench. Probably part of the reason why they haven't experimented with Nance starting this season yet... It might do some damage to Randle as opposed to lighting a fire...
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

if Byron is echoing the info he's getting from Magic... uh oh... this is what I was worried about. Moving DLo most likely allows us to attach Mozzy or Deng's contract. You want DLo? You gotta take a trash contract.

Magic and Pelinka have come in and all they talk about is free agents, how this is the premier place for free agents to go, etc. Luke has already made it clear he doesn't think DLo and Clarkson are a viable combo going forward so one or the other have to go, maybe both if we are able to combine say Clarkson's contract with that Houston pick in a trade. Then move DLo and Mozzy for somebody... which - if Byron is indeed echoing Magic's thoughts... could be fairly close to what Magic might want to do.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2128, 2129, 2130 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next
Page 2129 of 2856
Jump to: