2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 302, 303, 304 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I am saying you only know in hindsight

what i'm saying is that ingram is younger than jackson, meaning, he could feasibly have been transported back to college today and enter the NCAA tournament. and he would be destroying the field.

I do not think Ingram as he is today would even project in the top #3 in this years draft.....but that is all opinion. Ingram is not now what "many" would have projected 10 months ago....Wiggins is not what "many" would have projected 34 months ago? One the flipside, I think KAT is further along than the majority may have projected 22 months ago. These guys are on very unique individual clocks.

btw, isnt Fultz younger than like 3 of the top 4 prospects in 2018?

Fultz is the only one who is still 18, of those "top" prospects. Tatum and Monk have both recently turned 19. Ntilikina is the youngest, at 18 and a half. Bridges also just turned 19.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I am saying you only know in hindsight

what i'm saying is that ingram is younger than jackson, meaning, he could feasibly have been transported back to college today and enter the NCAA tournament. and he would be destroying the field.

I do not think Ingram as he is today would even project in the top #3 in this years draft.....but that is all opinion. Ingram is not now what "many" would have projected 10 months ago....Wiggins is not what "many" would have projected 34 months ago? One the flipside, I think KAT is further along than the majority may have projected 22 months ago. These guys are on very unique individual clocks.

btw, isnt Fultz younger than like 3 of the top 4 prospects in 2018?

Fultz is the only one who is still 18, of those "top" prospects. Tatum and Monk have both recently turned 19. Ntilikina is the youngest, at 18 and a half. Bridges also just turned 19.

I just looked at it, he is a less than a month older than Michael Porter and Deandre Ayton and a month younger than Mohamed Bamba
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

I was a skeptic of Ball, mainly because he plays for UCLA and I think there's always bias with that. I think drafting someone because they're local and you see them play a lot is the worst possible reason to draft someone (reminds me of the story about Pacers fans being upset the Pacers took Reggie Miller instead of Steve Alford). And I think someone like Magic would be especially prone to falling into this pitfall.

But last night went a long way into turning me into a believer. If we wind up with #2, I wouldn't be upset at all drafting him. I'm also starting to see the "it" factor. He seems to always know what's going on and can make split second decisions to maximize it. And his post entries are so damn good...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

jwbrown77 wrote:
I was a skeptic of Ball, mainly because he plays for UCLA and I think there's always bias with that. I think drafting someone because they're local and you see them play a lot is the worst possible reason to draft someone (reminds me of the story about Pacers fans being upset the Pacers took Reggie Miller instead of Steve Alford). And I think someone like Magic would be especially prone to falling into this pitfall.

But last night went a long way into turning me into a believer. If we wind up with #2, I wouldn't be upset at all drafting him. I'm also starting to see the "it" factor. He seems to always know what's going on and can make split second decisions to maximize it. And his post entries are so damn good...

How are we gonna draft another PG with Russell on the roster, Ball ain't coming off the bench with that giant ego of his and his dad won't allow it,
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
jwbrown77 wrote:

How are we gonna draft another PG with Russell on the roster, Ball ain't coming off the bench with that giant ego of his and his dad won't allow it,

you move Dlo to SG
what do you think the last 5 games experimenting has been about
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
jwbrown77 wrote:

you move Dlo to SG

Russell isn't strong enough to play SG and he isn't athletic
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
jwbrown77 wrote:

you move Dlo to SG

with the PG/SG debate. Ball and Dlo would be deadly together. Who cares if you call one a PG and the other a SG?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

DoubleClutch wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
jwbrown77 wrote:

you move Dlo to SG

with the PG/SG debate. Ball and Dlo would be deadly together. Who cares if you call one a PG and the other a SG?

I know, I just think Russell is a natural PG, but yeah i think they can be a dominate back court duo.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
jwbrown77 wrote:

you move Dlo to SG

by your same criteria, Russell isn't fast enough to play PG and he isn't athletic enough for that either. His ball handling & distributing skills leave something to be desired too.
PG/SG distinction is becoming somewhat outdated in today's NBA anyway.
Draft Ball, let him do his thing which is running a team & distributing the ball. Let Dlo do his thing - a shooter with pretty good, but not great, secondary playmaking skills.
as a tandem, they'll probably be a really good pair

Last edited by P.K. on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
jwbrown77 wrote:

you move Dlo to SG

moving forward with the FUTURE aka JC.....what did you think it was about?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject:

you guys know Magic is going to have a soft spot for the real home town guy....his home town....little over an hour drive from Lansing to the Motor City....
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject:

He's probably annoyed he didn't go to State. That's a mark against him in Magic's eyes.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Today's NBA you can play Dlo/Fultz or Dlo/Ball. It's not a big issue.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
jwbrown77 wrote:

you move Dlo to SG

moving forward with the FUTURE aka JC.....what did you think it was about?

I think what we saw was 100% about evaluating Dlo - not JC. JC was just a chess piece there because we needed some kind of PG (or "other") guard for Dlo to run with and Nwaba/Ennis weren't enough juice when Dlo was on the 2nd team (you didn't get "Dlo off the ball" with either of them, because they're significantly lessor than Dlo).
I don't know what they "plan" to do with JC - but, his incredibly high tendency to call his own number along with not really being very efficient running the 2nd team makes me think he's easily replaceable. Plus, there's definitely a low BBiQ factor there. Trading him is probably a good idea.
Allonzo Trier with the 27th pick would probably do a lot better, as one example - Trier quietly lit up Ball in their last matchup. There are probably other available players there also, I'm just from Arizona and have watched Trier a lot.
That's just my opinion, of course
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Laker Junkie wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
If there was a "Draft for fit", I'd only consider Semi Ojeleye at 27.

How does he compare to PJ Tucker?

I think of a better Jae Crowder...

The only thing Ojeleye does better than Crowder did at Marquette is shoot threes. Crowder blew him out of the water as an all-around prospect - it's not even close.

2.19PPP on pick and pop. It's not just "shooting."

That is just shooting out of one specific play type. He's a fairly one dimensional tweener forward who will probably carve out a limited bench role in the NBA, which is just fine for a 2nd round pick.

So, to me, there's two definitions of tweener. There are guys that can play PF and SF competently, and then there are guys that play one position, but have the skills of the "lesser" position.

I think the fact is, if you can shoot out to 3pt land, it erases A LOT. For all of this talk about Lauri Markkanen, being more flexible defensively, and being able to handle multiple assignments, Ojeleye not only fits that, but shoots 1% worse than Markkanen behind the arc, on 0.5 more attempts per game.

Then sure, I identified 1 play type, Pick and Pop, which is what DLO NEVER gets to use because Randle and Nance don't shoot adequately from the perimeter. But Ojeleye was the 99.9% pick and pop player, as in #1 at the NCAA level, and with 2.19PPP, it means he hit more than his fair share from NCAA 3pt land.

The video already has him defending PFs and SFs, hedging out on PnR. Basically, he's a 3 and D PF. As a potential late 1st, I really don't see what the problem is.

Better to have Fultz/Ball + Ojeleye, than Markkanen/Hart for the Lakers.

I'll admit I've only seen two full SMU games this season (both against USC) and I didn't zero in on Ojeleye on defense, but I'm skeptical of his defense outside of the bare minimum ability to hedge and switch as a 6'6 PF. Maybe he has untapped potential on that end given his athleticism, though.

I want frontcourt shooting. But I'd like a frontcourt player who does more than just shoot. If the Lakers see a strong man defender on switches that may be enough for them to draft Ojeleye at #28. But I'd personally prefer Peters between the two - I know Peters will at least protect the defensive glass and pass a bit.

I recognize Peters as a better general shooter, but I don't trust him to to rebound as effectively since Ojeleye has the uber build and motor.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Bridges a better version of Draymond Green?

No.

P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Today's NBA you can play Dlo/Fultz or Dlo/Ball. It's not a big issue.

yep. The era when you've got super ball dominant SG's like Jordan/Kobe/Dwade seems to be fading to, like post up Centers -- 3pt shooters are in demand. Dlo fits that part of the bill pretty well. Look at Klay
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject:

bigkobe81 wrote:
I don't really understand all the Tatum hype. He's an absolute baller but not a top 3 pick in my eyes and is also the type of player the NBA is moving away from. He's is a isolation mid-range scorer that can't play off ball and isn't much of a defender. I'd take Jackson over him

Prior to this week, you missed his best games for a month.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think a Ball/DLO backcourt is a dream for a coach like Luke. Lots of passing and versatility. We wouldn't, however, have that traditional guard who just blows past the defender on ISOs. Would be a more structured and team ball style offense, with the hope we can get some ISO creators via trade or development.

That's my primary argument of Fultz over Ball or Tatum over Jackson.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
I haven't loved what I've seen of Markkanen, but you could probably talk me into overdrafting him by a couple of spots based on his shooting alone. That (bleep) is pure and I'm desperate for bigs who can shoot.

If you do watch, just watch anything late Feb and into March. He actually shows a few things outside of the J, admittedly in limited volume, on both ends of the floor.

That's all I've been saying Mike, he can legitimately create his own shot and his handles are pretty good for a 7 footer, also keep in mind he's doing all these at the age of 19, playing next to a more traditional 7 footer so the spacing is not that good.

Obviously there are better prospects (Fultz, Tatum, Ball) that we would rather pick in the top 3 range but Markkanen is my sleeper pick of the draft.

How good is he at attacking closeouts?

- 1.04 PPP On pull ups attacking closeouts (doesn’t go all the way to the basket, only 25.6% of his shots are from 0 - 5 feet tho he converts on 70.2% of them with his soft touch) - He relies too much on his jumper.

His shooting is elite everywhere else

- 1.475 PPP on ‘Guarded’ Catch & Shoot Jumpers

- 1.32 PPP on pin downs coming “off screens" 92nd %Tile

- 1.26 PPP on Pick & Pop Jumpers. (shoots legit NBA Range)

deanondraft is even higher on him than I am, he compares him to Dirk and has him going #5 in the draft. I could easily see him turn into another Bargnani

Bargnani was drafted to be an elite shooting 7-footer and he was merely okay even in his best seasons (career 35% from 3). If Markkanen can bring his 49/43/83 shooting to the pros, he's going to be a hell of a scorer even if he never passes.

Btw, everyone was either too young or flat out forgets that Dirk was a dynamic 7-foot point forward when he first entered the league and he perfected his jumper and patented post fadeaway over the years. I mean, does this look like Lauri Markkanen to anyone?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hCMSe1Injiw

People who know Dirk at the NBA level recognize him for his shooting.

People who watched Dirk prior to the NBA remember him beating Team USA by repeatedly attacking the rim and having a ridiculous FTr.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
kobetimeeverytime wrote:
do you guys think that trainers at NBA level would make Lonzo revamp his shooting stroke?

Depends. Is it possible for him to pull up if he's going right with that form? Aside from that I don't have anything against it, aside from the disgust I experience whenever he shoots. Either way, he's shown he can get it off on athletic/big defenders and get it off quickly at that. Kevin Martin is obviously the first guy that comes to mind, but Ball gets it off even more quickly off the dribble. Martin had a slightly slower release, but compensated for that with his ability to draw fouls.

But then again, I'm in the camp that Lonzo is more of a streaky shooter than a pure shooter.

He struggles pulling up to his right and that is something he'll have to work on for sure but going to his left, that step back is pretty much unguardable.

I still don't understand how a guy who has consistently shot the ball extremely well over his entire freshman year is just on one long streak. That makes zero sense to me.

FT% is a relevant indicator of how well a player's shooting will translate from CBB to the pros (as we've seen firsthand with Ingram.) Justise Winslow also comes to mind as a recent example of that, who shot 49/42 at Duke, but 64% from the stripe, and look at his shooting in Miami.

The consensus (so far) top three prospects all have issues shooting FTs. It's concerning at the top of the draft.

Sure but Jackson and Fultz have such dynamic skillsets (Jackson can defend, is a playmaker defensively and offensively, fantastic athlete, rebounds well while Fultz is a dynamic offensive talent who's fantastic in the pick and roll, great at pulling up, variety of ways to score at the rim and projects to be a very good defender) that even if they don't translate to good spot up shooters they're still top tier prospects. Ball has a lot more concerns than those two so you NEED his shooting to translate if you want to put him on their level as prospects.

Ball doesn't have a dynamic skillset?

Passing? Sure.

Let's not get into the other stuff.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
kobetimeeverytime wrote:
do you guys think that trainers at NBA level would make Lonzo revamp his shooting stroke?

Depends. Is it possible for him to pull up if he's going right with that form? Aside from that I don't have anything against it, aside from the disgust I experience whenever he shoots. Either way, he's shown he can get it off on athletic/big defenders and get it off quickly at that. Kevin Martin is obviously the first guy that comes to mind, but Ball gets it off even more quickly off the dribble. Martin had a slightly slower release, but compensated for that with his ability to draw fouls.

But then again, I'm in the camp that Lonzo is more of a streaky shooter than a pure shooter.

He struggles pulling up to his right and that is something he'll have to work on for sure but going to his left, that step back is pretty much unguardable.

I still don't understand how a guy who has consistently shot the ball extremely well over his entire freshman year is just on one long streak. That makes zero sense to me.

I agree with this, but I am told the same thing in regards to Jackson

A big difference between the two is Jackson is used as a scorer and creates a lot of his own shots within the offensive sets, both sides of the floor, from paint play to 3s.

Lonzo is such a low volume two point scorer, that it's arguable that half of his 2-point attempts are layups in transition, 1 layup from an off-ball cut within the offense, and the rest are step back 3-pointers...

.. .which tells me, his best halfcourt scoring skill is the 3-pointer. Personally, I'm not comfortable with that.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Mike Breen wrote:
After looking into it I'm going to agree with Mike [AT] LG on Semi Ojeleye being an ideal pick at 28. Talk about an NBA ready body with translatable skills that will be useful paired with Dlo and the rest of the young guys. I'd play him at the 3 and hope he improves on the wing. Him, Swanigan or Kennard would fit great with the guys we have

I'd play him at 4 only, but there's some versatility there defensively.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
On Sam Vecenie's recent Game Theory podcast....he kept referring to Swanigan's feet as a negative....of why he would not draft him. I think he was talking about his footwork? Does he have poor footwork, or has he had foot injuries?

Watching him yesterday he'll get murdered by quicker bigs or off of PnRs. Just doesn't have the footspeed to get where he would need to.

That's why he projects as a back up C.... like he's too slow laterally to even help out with team defense despite the massive wingspan.

Still, a strong C that can rebound, and has a surprisingly quick release from the perimeter with some ability to pass and create in the post, isn't exactly terrible.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
How does Josh Jackson compare to Iguodala?

Yeah, I haven't watched much Jackson until yesterday and I thought he was a Justice Winslow style player. But Jackson seems to have more of a diverse game. Iggy is a good comp.

Honestly, never felt like Josh Jackson was the athlete that Iggy was coming out of Arizona.

I think Iggy was a more vertically explosive player, but I think JJ is a quicker player, directionally and laterally. Explosive in his own right.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 302, 303, 304 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 303 of 1281
Jump to: