The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 932, 933, 934 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
JR is the worst defender at the 3pt line I have ever seen.

Nance is worse than Randle on the perimeter defensively.

That's why Randle is the guy they want on switches and Nance is the guy they want on helpside defense.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
dao wrote:
I liked how Randle moved the ball tonight. The ball often sticks to his hands but tonight he seemed to be making nice quick reads.

Me too. Set a few nice screens as well. My biggest issue was his closeouts tonight. Fell asleep on several occasions. We give up a lot of points because of that.

closeouts seem to be the thing now I notice he needs to work on.

He's setting MUCH better screens on a consistent basis the past few games since all-star break than he did most of the season prior.

Likely something Luke got in his ear about.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject:

He's always sucked at close outs . Early on this year he really made a concerted effort to be better at it and at times you still see him really go hard and explode to contest a shot, with mixed results. He's improving, last year I swear it was almost a guaranteed bucket every time you saw him running out to the 3 point line.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

I agree with comments about the more timely reads. If he can do that more, then that'll open up the lanes for him, too. He had a nice skip pass from the top of the key to Russell for the corner 3, as well as 2 nice interior passes to Ingram (in transition) and Zubac (passed when the help bit). Nicely done, Julius!

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

He's also starting to draw double teams regularly, not just when he posts on switches. (at this point I think the double comes because it's easy to sag off our awful shooters, not because JR is some unstoppable force [although he can be absent a double]). and he's made some nice reads off them.

I also enjoyed some of his passes to players cutting baseline. He hit DLO with one last night, but DLO didn't go up with the shot
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

On board with Randle. As much limitations as he has with his size and wingspan he's got at least 2 things that you can't teach

1. Physical advantage with his speed and strength combination

2. Desire to work hard

Based on that alone, he'll end up a good player. Would I pay him a max extension? No way. But sign him to a JC type long term deal? Absolutely.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
On board with Randle. As much limitations as he has with his size and wingspan he's got at least 2 things that you can't teach

2. Desire to work hard

Based on that alone, he'll end up a good player. Would I pay him a max extension? No way. But sign him to a JC type long term deal? Absolutely.

+1
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
ingle wrote:

2. Desire to work hard

+1

+2 .
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject:

I remember when Russell would have 13 point games and it was considered 'off' or 'bad'.

For Randle that seems to be 10/7/7 games.

Amazing how he was still on triple double watch on a bad night. Lead us in assists most of the night as well. Him and Russell truly benefit from each other, especially with the screens Randle is now setting for him.

That and I am happy with Randle's eagerness to shoot threes a game now, trying to find rhythm. Glad to see it.

It's starting to look like puzzle pieces that fit together very well, if they were to get Lonzo Ball to add to the lineup of Russell, Randle, Ingram, Zubac.. it would run about as beautifully as it did that first half vs Milwaukee a month or so ago.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
nash wrote:
ingle wrote:

2. Desire to work hard

+1

+2 .

Unfortunately his agent will probably ask for the Max Years/Max Money rookie extension. There are many options for Randle, but Max/Max isn't one of them right now.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Issue with Randle is the $ and that is why I am so hard on him. I need him to play like a max guy because either way he's going to get that amount from someone.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I remember when Russell would have 13 point games and it was considered 'off' or 'bad'.

For Randle that seems to be 10/7/7 games.

Amazing how he was still on triple double watch on a bad night. Lead us in assists most of the night as well. Him and Russell truly benefit from each other, especially with the screens Randle is now setting for him.

That and I am happy with Randle's eagerness to shoot threes a game now, trying to find rhythm. Glad to see it.

It's starting to look like puzzle pieces that fit together very well, if they were to get Lonzo Ball to add to the lineup of Russell, Randle, Ingram, Zubac.. it would run about as beautifully as it did that first half vs Milwaukee a month or so ago.

Russell is a scorer, Lakers use to do well when he is scoring and his AST/TO ratio seems to get better when he is scoring (eye test, I have to check) while I really don't know what Julius is. He is a great rebounder for his position and is very good in transition, but I still don't know how he can impose his game is a way to put us in better position to win games.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject:

I think this is the first season Julius has gotten any kind of direction towards the kind if player they want him to be, and the kind of player they think he can be at this level.

Last year he didn't get that, this year he is getting that and he seems to be thriving.

We know he can be a double double guy, but with the passing and everything he could be a triple double kind of guy without needing to force himself on the game.

I think the next step at least from Luke's perspective offensively is his three point shooting. We're seeing him in a lot of shooting drills, and a lot of three point contests, and Luke runs him twice as hard in drills so that they can build up his stamina. I think Luke thinks he can be a very special player that doesn't really need a 'role' to fit in, but he's what they used to call in the old days a "utility star" a guy that can do whatever the coach or the team needs. If they need him to score, he can go out in score, if they need him to pass he can do that, if they need him to rebound and hustle he can do that.

I think that's how Luke sees Julius. His stats post all-star break also point in that direction.

Adding a three pointer to that.. makes a scary prospect, Jules is hard enough to guard as it is when people expect him to drive. Adding a three point shot to that, makes it even tougher.

Honestly, Russell, Randle and Ingram all project to have scary upsides that amazingly enough fit with one another.

Add a Lonzo Ball to that equation...
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Randle needs to add some defense to his game to warrant the type of contract other teams will offer him. This reminds me of the Noel situation the sixers had. Good player but not worth the a max. My suggestion unless he adds a lot to his game this summer I would trade him before we get stuck like the sixers did. I wouldn't wait too long if they intend to trade him.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Agreed, adding defense and consistent three point shooting are Randle's greatest needs. If he will provide those and be patient another year, I think he will get the payday his agent hopes he gets now, but isn't producing or showing he is worth it today. Give us another year of improvement, and then we will know if he is ready to play for big money.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Agreed, adding defense and consistent three point shooting are Randle's greatest needs. If he will provide those and be patient another year, I think he will get the payday his agent hopes he gets now, but isn't producing or showing he is worth it today. Give us another year of improvement, and then we will know if he is ready to play for big money.

But if you wait too long and he doesn't improve much and it becomes obvious we won't be extending him we lose trade value along with the upper hand. Coaches and management better determine if he's in their plans and not wait till the deadline approaches.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
Randle needs to add some defense to his game to warrant the type of contract other teams will offer him. This reminds me of the Noel situation the sixers had. Good player but not worth the a max. My suggestion unless he adds a lot to his game this summer I would trade him before we get stuck like the sixers did. I wouldn't wait too long if they intend to trade him.

I don't really get this.

If they're willing to trade for him over the summer, why wouldn't they be willing to trade for him before the deadline?

Randle has only improved in the past few years, and there are very attainable ways for him to improve more. Why not let him improve and raise his trade value?

We're not in the same position as the Sixers, they had a log jam, the league knew they had to get rid of one.

If we can assume the premise that at least one team will pay him the max, than every team should assume that.

If that is the case, we should assume that any team trading for Julius should expect a different team to then offer him the max.

We should also be able to agree on the premise that no team is going to give up anything for a one year rental of Randle.

Therefore, if a team is willing to trade for Randle, then they are also willing to pay him the max.

If they're willing to trade for him over the summer, unless he got worse, why wouldn't they be willing to trade for him before the deadline?

Do you really think Randle is going to get worse between now and then? A better Randle will only increase our leverage. Regardless of whether they truly believe it or not, publicly the Lakers Brass have only been supportive of Randle. Even to the dismay of many here, he's the only starter that hasn't been benched this year.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:

I don't really get this.

If they're willing to trade for him over the summer, why wouldn't they be willing to trade for him before the deadline?

Randle has only improved in the past few years, and there are very attainable ways for him to improve more. Why not let him improve and raise his trade value?

We're not in the same position as the Sixers, they had a log jam, the league knew they had to get rid of one.

If we can assume the premise that at least one team will pay him the max, than every team should assume that.

If that is the case, we should assume that any team trading for Julius should expect a different team to then offer him the max.

We should also be able to agree on the premise that no team is going to give up anything for a one year rental of Randle.

Therefore, if a team is willing to trade for Randle, then they are also willing to pay him the max.

If they're willing to trade for him over the summer, unless he got worse, why wouldn't they be willing to trade for him before the deadline?

Do you really think Randle is going to get worse between now and then? A better Randle will only increase our leverage. Regardless of whether they truly believe it or not, publicly the Lakers Brass have only been supportive of Randle. Even to the dismay of many here, he's the only starter that hasn't been benched this year.

I'm not saying he's going to get worse I'm saying at his current state I don't think he's worth a max but other teams may. Our coaching staff gets to see him more than any other team obviously, so what I'm saying is I hope they determine if he is a max player early. In the event he doesn't improve his game much over the summer and it shows in practice they should evaluate his trade value then.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Randle has all the physical attributes to be a very good defensive player.
However, for some strange reason, he does not put forth a concerted effort (mentally or physically) to succeed in that area.
Apparently defense was never a priority to him or his coaches while he was in HS or college.
He'd better learn fast or he won't be successful in this league.

PS: to his credit I have seen him finally trying to set a decent pick here and there.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Unfortunately his agent will probably ask for the Max Years/Max Money rookie extension. There are many options for Randle, but Max/Max isn't one of them right now.

I'm sure he will, that's his job. Lakers have no reason to give him that though at this point. If he wants to hold out for it they can simply not extend him and ask him to show his dedication in the offseason and progress next year and then they can reconsider. The only reason for them to extend him right now would be if he signs for less money. And their pitch to him would be that you broke your leg as a rookie, one injury before your extension and you could cost yourself a ton of money. So either he takes a mid-range deal or he waits and risks it.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Randle has all the physical attributes to be a very good defensive player.
However, for some strange reason, he does not put forth a concerted effort (mentally or physically) to succeed in that area.
Apparently defense was never a priority to him or his coaches while he was in HS or college.
He'd better learn fast or he won't be successful in this league.

PS: to his credit I have seen him finally trying to set a decent pick here and there.

I find it rather unusual a good defensive big with such short arms and lack of hoops. It becomes really clear when he tries to contest shots or when someone contest him, he just can't really reach a lick.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Some more of what Luke and Randle do after each practice, with the three point drill/game.

Russell's in on this one.

Also some nice views of Ingram swishing it in the background.

I think Randle wins it on the last two.

Seems like stamina and three point shot is the main things Luke's got Randle focusing on right now. Likely why they're running three point looks for him more often during games too, wants him to get used to it.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

I would like to keep Jules around if he improves his shooting and understands that he has to play defense.
As far as a max salary IMO he has not shown overall improvement enough for me to be comfortable with maxing him, near max probably.
However, with the salary cap the way it is, I am sure either the Lakers or another team will be willing to take a chance on him somewhere at or near the max.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
I would like to keep Jules around if he improves his shooting and understands that he has to play defense.
As far as a max salary IMO he has not shown overall improvement enough for me to be comfortable with maxing him, near max probably.
However, with the salary cap the way it is, I am sure either the Lakers or another team will be willing to take a chance on him somewhere at or near the max.

I wouldn't give him the max either but maybe something like 5yrs/85M.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

If Randle reaches his upside and gets that jumper rolling, whatever we pay him isn't going to be more than his value.

Julius Randle already is a potential triple double machine and that's without a jumper.

You add increased stamina and an steadily improving jumper to Julius and you got a consistent all-star on your hands and a top PF in the league.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 932, 933, 934 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 933 of 1536
Jump to: